CyReN

HCS Pro League Fall 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

-snip-

Thanks for the transparency. And its clear you guys are trying hard to put on the best show you can.

The issue is that Halo should be past the point where we're complaining about poor production, serious delays to important matches and 'we're working to make it better.'

Shit happens and you have to react to it (the nV/e6 situation sounds unfortunate rather than incompetent, although I'd say all matches need a ref with them) but the main reason people are upset is because this isn't the step forward it needed to be. These open LANs should have been a celebration of everything good about HCS, should have got people excited about the future of Halo and should have people wanting more. Unfortunately, OC hasn't been.

Not all of that is on you (in fact, a large amount goes to 343 and co for choosing the locations poorly) and I'm sure you're trying your best to adapt. However, Halo has gone from a huge prize pool World Championship to an Open LAN where we're stuck watching slow motion replays with a MS Word timer counting down to the next match.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Hey guys,

Just wanted to post real quick before i get to work on a paper I need to write tonight, because I think transparency is important. I obviously haven't had much (any) time to respond to anything prior to now, but I've gotten a chance to read some (not all) of your feedback.

I understand a lot of people aren't happy with us, and that's ok. We're not going to be perfect, and we do make mistakes. But what I can say without a doubt is that the entire team at Esports Arena is working extremely hard to make this a good event and a good experience for everyone involved.

There are a few areas where I think we've fallen a little short from what I myself, and obviously most of the community wants. The biggest being the breaks during the stream, with the same monotonous replays played over and over. It's not something I'm happy about, and we'll continue to make adjustments to decrease those break times, and assuming people enjoyed our retro commercials, we'll attempt to at least be creative in ways we can fill time. Unfortunately there will be time to fill. It's the nature of an Open LAN, where we don't always know exactly who is going to be on stage/stream for the next few matches. In our effort to bring the best quality matches to you the viewers, we operate on the fly a bit to find what we believe will be good matches. Tomorrow we'll be looking to organize all players a little better and ensure they're where we need them, when we need them. In addition we're adding a handheld roaming camera to the floor so that we can cover some of the matches that wont be on stream during breaks.

For the vast majority of the day, matches went very smoothly, and it's the reason we finished almost 2 hours ahead of schedule. There were hiccups though, namely the featured station match between EnvyUs and Enigma 6. I've spoken with the players involved about how to best solve the issues that happened. Better communication is the answer, as well as more attentive volunteers. Unfortunately with the dedicated server packages there are times that issues are out of our control, and we need to just wait for the powers at be to fix them, but we can communicate what is happening and whatnot to players much more efficiently.

The last major issue I was told about was obviously the sound issues many players have with ASTRO TR Mixamps. They're normal  state is to be very quiet and has been an issue any time a TO has used the TRs in daisy chain apparently. Fortunately we have ASTRO on hand, and they're going to be updating the firmware and applying changes to the MixAmps tomorrow morning. This will hopefully solve some of the communication issues many of the players are having.

Finally, I know my casting sucks. I'll try to limit my interruptions. I actually didn't even notice I was doing it. Always a learning experience.

I'm excited to show that we're listening and can improve for tomorrow. Thank you for the support and feedback you guys have given us, positive or negative. Truly.

Always Forward. Forward Always.

Transparency is key - good shit.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

Can't even explain how much posts like this help the situation. People are a lot more willing to forgive as long as there is transparency and recognition of the problems. 

• Upvote (+1) 5

Hey guys,

Just wanted to post real quick before i get to work on a paper I need to write tonight, because I think transparency is important. I obviously haven't had much (any) time to respond to anything prior to now, but I've gotten a chance to read some (not all) of your feedback.

I understand a lot of people aren't happy with us, and that's ok. We're not going to be perfect, and we do make mistakes. But what I can say without a doubt is that the entire team at Esports Arena is working extremely hard to make this a good event and a good experience for everyone involved.

There are a few areas where I think we've fallen a little short from what I myself, and obviously most of the community wants. The biggest being the breaks during the stream, with the same monotonous replays played over and over. It's not something I'm happy about, and we'll continue to make adjustments to decrease those break times, and assuming people enjoyed our retro commercials, we'll attempt to at least be creative in ways we can fill time. Unfortunately there will be time to fill. It's the nature of an Open LAN, where we don't always know exactly who is going to be on stage/stream for the next few matches. In our effort to bring the best quality matches to you the viewers, we operate on the fly a bit to find what we believe will be good matches. Tomorrow we'll be looking to organize all players a little better and ensure they're where we need them, when we need them. In addition we're adding a handheld roaming camera to the floor so that we can cover some of the matches that wont be on stream during breaks.

For the vast majority of the day, matches went very smoothly, and it's the reason we finished almost 2 hours ahead of schedule. There were hiccups though, namely the featured station match between EnvyUs and Enigma 6. I've spoken with the players involved about how to best solve the issues that happened. Better communication is the answer, as well as more attentive volunteers. Unfortunately with the dedicated server packages there are times that issues are out of our control, and we need to just wait for the powers at be to fix them, but we can communicate what is happening and whatnot to players much more efficiently.

The last major issue I was told about was obviously the sound issues many players have with ASTRO TR Mixamps. They're normal  state is to be very quiet and has been an issue any time a TO has used the TRs in daisy chain apparently. Fortunately we have ASTRO on hand, and they're going to be updating the firmware and applying changes to the MixAmps tomorrow morning. This will hopefully solve some of the communication issues many of the players are having.

Finally, I know my casting sucks. I'll try to limit my interruptions. I actually didn't even notice I was doing it. Always a learning experience.

I'm excited to show that we're listening and can improve for tomorrow. Thank you for the support and feedback you guys have given us, positive or negative. Truly.

Always Forward. Forward Always.

Kudos to you for being absolutely transparent about this. There's a lot more to say to after this event, but Im happy you actually realize and want to address issues. 

You have to understand to Halo and HCS has been filled with mediocre bullshit for far too long so people are going to be pissed. I really do like Arena eSports and the openness to the community but Halo is a tough gig to run at the moment.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Had a good chat with my viewers yesterday about this and I've spent time in the past writing it down and designing what I think would make this game one of the best halos ever competition wise, my personal perfect Arena settings are the following.

- no radar. Needs to go 100% to allow H5 to play at it's designed competitive speed.

- reduced autos on map or reduce the auto ammo. Help combat camping and allow for more 1v1 engagements and gunskill battles.

- no AR secondary or an AR damage nerf with reduced ammo. It's not a utility weapon at present, it's a full on secondary.

- no SPNKR rockets, just H5 ones only please. Don't fix what's not broken, SPNKRs are slow and sluggish.

- shotgun or scatter 20 second increased respawn timer. Would allow for less in game abuse by 1 team.

- remove hit markers. Nades are now been used as an item to find people, not kill them.

- removed Spartan charge. (open to keeping it tbh) Just personally find it a get out of jail free card for sprinting/been unaware.

- stop silly nade abuse/yolo throwing. Lower the amount of nades a player can carry or remove some from map, so many free nade kills.

- keep magnum start. As a H2 boy I love the BR but my god it hits so hard and would be too OP and not fun.

- Add Mercy as a slayer map. Open to looking at Tyrant and testing for slayer with better weapon placements.

- fix the free killing sniper. Too long has this gun been OP, no scopes no longer take skill, they are a given :(.

- look at weapons on map and why. I like the smg, I hate the storm rifle. Would happily keep the smg and bin of the latter.

Changing things like the rockets up and normal SMG for a silenced just confuses me as to why. I'm a huge fan of 'don't fix what's not broke' but fail to see what was broke about these 2 weapons? Halo 5 has evolved into what can be an amazing game, would love to see a test list after fall season with the above changes for community feedback is possible please? @@Deez @@Sal1ent

TheSimms for president!

I heard there was a job opening at 343i ...

• Upvote (+1) 1

Had a good chat with my viewers yesterday about this and I've spent time in the past writing it down and designing what I think would make this game one of the best halos ever competition wise, my personal perfect Arena settings are the following.

- no radar. Needs to go 100% to allow H5 to play at it's designed competitive speed.

- reduced autos on map or reduce the auto ammo. Help combat camping and allow for more 1v1 engagements and gunskill battles.

- no AR secondary or an AR damage nerf with reduced ammo. It's not a utility weapon at present, it's a full on secondary.

- no SPNKR rockets, just H5 ones only please. Don't fix what's not broken, SPNKRs are slow and sluggish.

- shotgun or scatter 20 second increased respawn timer. Would allow for less in game abuse by 1 team.

- remove hit markers. Nades are now been used as an item to find people, not kill them.

- removed Spartan charge. (open to keeping it tbh) Just personally find it a get out of jail free card for sprinting/been unaware.

- stop silly nade abuse/yolo throwing. Lower the amount of nades a player can carry or remove some from map, so many free nade kills.

- keep magnum start. As a H2 boy I love the BR but my god it hits so hard and would be too OP and not fun.

- Add Mercy as a slayer map. Open to looking at Tyrant and testing for slayer with better weapon placements.

- fix the free killing sniper. Too long has this gun been OP, no scopes no longer take skill, they are a given :(.

- look at weapons on map and why. I like the smg, I hate the storm rifle. Would happily keep the smg and bin of the latter.

Changing things like the rockets up and normal SMG for a silenced just confuses me as to why. I'm a huge fan of 'don't fix what's not broke' but fail to see what was broke about these 2 weapons? Halo 5 has evolved into what can be an amazing game, would love to see a test list after fall season with the above changes for community feedback is possible please? @@Deez @@Sal1ent

Can we get this in the game before the next worlds starts PLEASE @@Sal1ent ? Along with @ involved with the game again ? Those are literally things that will help Halo to be respectable esports title again. Not this half baked product with tons of money thrown over it. You got a good game this time around. Please.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Can we get this in the game before the next worlds starts PLEASE @@Sal1ent ? Along with @ involved with the game again ? Those are literally things that will help Halo to be respectable esports title again. Not this half baked product with tons of money thrown over it. You got a good game this time around. Please.

Lmao people aren't going to start watching because there's no radar. People just don't give a shit about this game
  • Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 5

snip

Jesus all of your bullet points aside from the part about Tyrant and the bit about the silenced SMG could've come straight out of my own head. Undecided about the amount of nades complaint but I definitely do agree that hit markers on grenades have to go. I think you'll find a lot of people will agree with most of that list lol.

- reduced autos on map or reduce the auto ammo. Help combat camping and allow for more 1v1 engagements and gunskill battles.

- remove Spartan charge. (open to keeping it tbh) Just personally find it a get out of jail free card for sprinting/been unaware.

- Add Mercy as a slayer map. Open to looking at Tyrant and testing for slayer with better weapon placements. (Also keen to see OG oddball and assault looked at but needs to be OG style/settings)

Fucking hell Simms you somehow managed to make me love you even more.

I personally would like to Splinter nades getting a straight nerf, and plasma nades getting well buffed. Also, Torque will always be noncompetitive as long as those platforms keep randomly moving.

• Upvote (+1) 5

The CEO of Money Matches to take Che's position.

I'm not being popularist, I'm being dead serious. Guy loves Halo, loves us, works hard and is a good person as well.

agreed

• Upvote (+1) 5

E6 3-0'd Liquid off stream I guess

i believe it was 3-1 cratos tweeted it

• Upvote (+1) 1

-snip-

Let's not also forget the maps they randomly select for playlist testing. Before you can actually have any kind of change, you have to fight against the onslaught of Tyrant, Riptide and Overgrowth being added. Still dislike Statis too :huh:

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm not sure what's worse. The fact that Stasis is in the rotation or the fact that it being in the rotation hardly matters because the veto system effectively allows teams to completely avoid playing a gametype for the entire season if they so wish.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Lmao people aren't going to start watching because there's no radar. People just don't give a shit about this game

This isn't only about radar. There were many more points that would make this game both more fun to play and watch. Nobody said it would magicaly make it top 5 on twitch. Why do you even bother to reply man.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Cool to see a post on /r/halo about the potential boycott.

Sucks to see it being downvoted (only at 75% right now) :/ 

coughs

Everyone's been posting some nice words, hope they are more than just words on a forum tho.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I hate disparaging work of people that want to be successful, but here is some real talk: We don't have time for LANs to be "learning experiences" anymore. Halo is  being laughed and mocked at. This is a billion dollar franchise and we had proper LANs before. This is nothing personal, @@Phade, against you or the staff.

• Upvote (+1) 6