CyReN

HCS Pro League Fall 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

I feel you, so many untold stories.

After MLG Dallas when we sold out the open bracket last minute, we found out a deal was signed with Virgin. We were told by someone over there that 'there are more people other than MLG in the picture now'

Going into MCC we were asked to pitch something 'in the clouds, go huge'. So we did. The next thing we got back was a cease and desist for MCC for all live events and Gamebattles in addition to seeing some of our pitched elements ripped out for other vendors. We were also asked to operate a launch event at the Barracks in LA (picked out by someone who will not be named) for $100,000 total budget...we did a site survey and the venue didn't have electrical, internet, or bathrooms...so we said no, it was not feasible (save this point for later).

Going into Halo 5, we were told that due to us not running the aforementioned event and also due to us not supporting Halo MCC (which we were not allowed to do) we would not be given a chance for HCS for Halo 5. 

Nothing makes sense. I just want Halo to be awesome. 

So we could have been with MLG since the Halo 4 Virgin Gaming days? 

Outstanding. 

I hope we get some serious change, or an overhaul to whatever decision making processes at the top who are negatively impacting the Halo eSports community. 

• Upvote (+1) 8

The ONLY business reason i can see for not including lan play is that they are worried that someone would be able to exploit it in some way.  Or for DRM purposes, requiring you to check in online to play the game.

just being honest here...The only business reason that I can think of for not including LAN support is so that 343 could fully control Halo eSports.  By not including LAN support, 343 basically put a choke hold on all tournament organizers, regardless if they're MLG big or local LAN center small.  What's the point in other tournament organizers spending the money on venues, monitors, XB1's, staff, etc etc if you have to play on Live anyways?  Save the money that you'd spend on live event necessities and increase the prize pool for an online league and/or tournaments, or just put that money towards other competitive shooters (GoW, CoD, CS) and move on.

The only way to have a Halo 5 "LAN" tournament today is to have 343 provide you with private dedicated servers.  How many other tournament organizations besides ESL are provided these private servers for events?  That's serious question btw, I truly do not know if other LAN events such as UGC St Louis will be played on private dedicated servers or not.

• Upvote (+1) 1

^^^^ 

speaking of servers, how long was H5 down last night? Or was it Xbox Live as a whole?

I got off when I got "There was a problem with the dedicated server" error message 10 times in a row while searching solo

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

After MLG Dallas when we sold out the open bracket last minute, we found out a deal was signed with Virgin. We were told by someone over there that 'there are more people other than MLG in the picture now'

Going into MCC we were asked to pitch something 'in the clouds, go huge'. So we did. The next thing we got back was a cease and desist for MCC for all live events and Gamebattles in addition to seeing some of our pitched elements ripped out for other vendors. We were also asked to operate a launch event at the Barracks in LA (picked out by someone who will not be named) for $100,000 total budget...we did a site survey and the venue didn't have electrical, internet, or bathrooms...so we said no, it was not feasible (save this point for later).

Going into Halo 5, we were told that due to us not running the aforementioned event and also due to us not supporting Halo MCC (which we were not allowed to do) we would not be given a chance for HCS for Halo 5. 

So 343 is basically butthurt that MLG didnt support a game that they didnt want them to in the first place? And they are still butthurt, what 2-3 years after the fact?

LOL

and ppl wonder why posts here get laced with profanity/anger

• Upvote (+1) 4

We're all with you on that, Clap.

^^^^ 

speaking of servers, how long was H5 down last night? Or was it Xbox Live as a whole?

I got off when I got "There was a problem with the dedicated server" error message 10 times in a row while searching solo

Xbox Live, not just Halo 5.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Is there a reason why so many games don't have splitscreen now? Is it a technical thing? Ive thought maybe that it's to try to make more people buy consoles and games since they can't play together but I hope that's not the case

Spit screen is taxing on hardware. So the compromise is usually to degrade the games visuals to make it work.

with the current environment around expectations for visual performance I'm not surprised, so many devs skip Splitscreen these days.

I can't imagine how terrible Halo5 would have looked in split screen at 60fps.

• Upvote (+1) 1

You must be joking. :wutface:

if there ever was a time for 343i to actually fulfill their promise of wanting more "transparency", that would be now. 

How about you interact with this community and clear things up...

@@Sal1ent

• Upvote (+1) 2

There was also a big stink back when Starcraft 2 came out without LAN support, but again, it was to stop the bad, bad pirates from playing the game without Blizzard's say-so.

Not condoning piracy, but thinking of the pirate before your actual customers is a bad business practice, in my book.

This was their official reasoning, but it was mostly to stop a KESPA like situation happening again.  Basically Blizz had no say over Korean SC due to the fact the game could be freely passed around and installed or pirated, and Blizz got no kickback or control.  So they made SC2 online only to block this.  With how popular SC was in Korea, they should have made millions but instead made very little.

SC2 could be pirated, but the online wouldn't work without the B.net servers, meaning in order to run things like lan cafe's or tournaments, you needed multiple copies of the game and likely permission from Blizzard  (they used to shut down tournaments by blacklisting IPs if they detected so many logins in one place without their permission.)    While this allowed Blizz to directly control SC2, it caused it to be basically be a stillborn upon launch in Korea, as KESPA didn't switch straightaway and no Lan cafe's (the main way people play in Korea) really purchased the game as you would need a copy for every machine greatly increasing cost.

SC2 has been on a slow decline for a long time and many star players are leaving and going back to streaming SC1 in Korea.

The way Halo has stalled with HCS due to overbearing developer control is similar.  The game can't grow at a grassroots level because the infrastructure is removed despite it being available 15 years earlier.   Esports needs dev support, however the games can't grow organically the way they are handled.  I'd argue we need a more Valve like approach with one big tournament a year held by the devs and everything else should be controlled by the community.  But then valve aren't trying to use the game as marketing and sell £250 consoles off the back of it.   CSGO is almost constantly on sale for under £5 and Dota is free.

I know I miss system link, i think we system linked Halo2 almost every weekend with 6-8 boxes until Halo 3 launched.   Admittedly not as many people had xbox live back then so it was easier to convince them to, but the atmosphere playing Halo and ordering takeaway all evening was much more fun than sitting in an online lobby could ever be.

The enjoyment of the game itself and the party like approach to playing it with friends is definitely a big thing missing from Halo currently.   That level of community engagement is entirely missing and probably why the Lans are dead too.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Bit OT: But what is the armor called that Snipedown uses? Looks so cool in game when you have the Magnum out.

Going into MCC we were asked to pitch something 'in the clouds, go huge'. So we did. The next thing we got back was a cease and desist for MCC for all live events and Gamebattles in addition to seeing some of our pitched elements ripped out for other vendors. We were also asked to operate a launch event at the Barracks in LA (picked out by someone who will not be named) for $100,000 total budget (inclusive of prize money, player travel, etc)...we did a site survey and the venue didn't have electrical, internet, or bathrooms...so we said no, it was not feasible (save this point for later).

Halo has a Wizard, why didn't you just ask him to summon lightning to power the event?

God Adam, do you love Halo or not?

See, this is why ESL is successful.  They use the power of Vivi's black magic!

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 3

Going into MCC we were asked to pitch something 'in the clouds, go huge'. So we did. The next thing we got back was a cease and desist for MCC for all live events and Gamebattles in addition to seeing some of our pitched elements ripped out for other vendors. We were also asked to operate a launch event at the Barracks in LA (picked out by someone who will not be named) for $100,000 total budget (inclusive of prize money, player travel, etc)...we did a site survey and the venue didn't have electrical, internet, or bathrooms...so we said no, it was not feasible (save this point for later).

Incredibly sad to hear about. Also, when I first started with UMG they were planning on running Halo tourneys as well. Oh what could have been

• Upvote (+1) 2

Bit OT: But what is the armor called that Snipedown uses? Looks so cool in game when you have the Magnum out.

Shinobi armor, his variant is Heartless, but either one looks cool with the magnum out.

Centurion I believe

Edit: thats his helmet not his armor

@ with all that said, why did they allow regionals and then nothing since?

It makes no sense

• Upvote (+1) 3

I don't have much of a problem getting games other than in the morning.

Connections are generally solid unless play on expanded.

I honestly rarely see lag outs, regularly see quitters though.

Entirely opinions. The maps are fine for the most part imo.

Campaign has some of the best level design in the series and the on foot combat is superb.

We've got a spectator mode, it's just a bit shit.

Ranking system isn't perfect but it does a decent enough job.

Same here, I've never had problems getting games, maps are fine, campaign is fine apart from the writing (which I've never cared about in Halo games, it's honestly all a bit shit; I play Mass Effect for the writing), ranking system is incredibly accurate for me --- within a few games in any playlist every game is 50-40 or closer, and ranking up feels significant.  

I feel like some of the people on these forums are either playing on Australian dialup or literally own a different game than I do ... honestly confused

• Upvote (+1) 1

^^^^ 

This happened to us the moment we were about to go live for the 2v2 Tournament stream. It only lasted about 20-40 minutes.

It's kinda crazy to see the difference now, wonder if Frankie is playing Halo 5 every day of the year now.

I wonder if they do man, seeing these old Bungie vids gives me all nostalgia and feels, you could see their excitement to play the game with friends/colleagues in the same place, just to have fun and enjoyment.

• Upvote (+1) 1

We worked with Xbox marketing on Regionals and Xgames.

Any idea why 343i is so against MLG?

• Upvote (+1) 3