CyReN

HCS Pro League Fall 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

wtffff

I've been following them since the MLG announcement was made and I didn't notice.

It has to do with how Jack carry's herself on social media. There's also a story there but it's not my place to tell nor does it belong on this board.

It doesnt matter at all (not saying you think it does), I dont care who is in charge, Man, Woman, Alien Space Frog, just do a good job. 

Oh, totally doesn't matter at all. If they can do the job and their passionate, let em at it. Jack is doing a great job from what I can see.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Not sure if you mean blacklist?

Would be cool to see @@Bravo and @@Tashi actually stop by for a bit and interact with the biggest competitive Halo community though. Always nice to see @@Timo @@Vivi and @ interact with the community.

Not going to lie, I've had more interaction with the Gears eSports team in the last few months than the HCS team in the last few years. :huh:

What if Bravo took Che's spot? 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Community LAN events for Halo 5 are (sadly) -are an extremely risky decision to host. I thought about hosting a Beyond Open Event, calculated everything needed to fund the event from equipment to prizing, and not only is it insanely expensive, the real kicker is that I have NO IDEA if Halo 5/XboxOne will ruin the event due to all the problems on "LAN".

Gamers for Giving 2016 comes to mind, where they had the right setup, equipment, prize pools, etc, but had to cancel the event due to the game just failing to operate correctly.

Hosting open live events hasn't gotten easier, it's become 10x harder than it was on the Xbox 360 and OG Xbox. Thats why we don't see "smash-esque" type of grass roots events happening very often, and when we do people stream them to Hitbox.tv which seems counter productive.

Agree. I think a lot of people (including some pros) still don't grasp the amount of resources it takes to run live events, or take it for granted instead. It's not terribly difficult to wake up in hotels, drop by to play their matches, collect their winnings, and afterparty. The planning, equipment / venue setup, and money that go into these events - I'd consider the people behind the scenes to be the true MVPs here. Just because MLG is the standard doesn't mean that it's easy for anyone else to pull off. Spreadsheets, making calls, setting alarms, emails, negotiations, logistical shit. However, I think if ESL wants to be alpha they should be willing to throw more weight ($$$) around... hopefully 2016 going into 2017 will have some additional steps. Which makes the average Joes (pun intended I guess?) who put up the funds and time to host these events even more incredible. 

I think equally faulted should be 343 and Microsoft as well for implementing the design choices they have. We know the LAN restrictions are awful. One other design choice that still amazes me was the lack of split screen support. If anything, these two decisions really killed a lot of the momentum Halo has been working on, especially since it's always been pitted as a Microsoft / Xbox-only exclusive. Looking back, would split screen have retained a higher audience than 1080p 60fps, all else equal? 

On seeding, what if it were 1-2-3-4 in an upper bracket, 5-6-7-8 in lower bracket, where 7-8 would play single elim BO5 (or some variant) with top 2 AM. Winners of those play 5-6 in single elim, with 2 LB winners inserted into UB, which then becomes double elim. 2 LB winners vs 3-4. 1-2 gets an extra bye (and added incentive from pro league success, one less stage for fluke loss). Yes, the lowest seeds have to play arguably the most games, but it also provides upside opportunity for a streaky run (which does happen in Halo) while allowing for downside protection from the leaders. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

What if Bravo took Che's spot? 

Bravo is moving from CM to a new community position once they find a new CM.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Off topic: I understand the reasoning behind the decision, but I miss going home on Fridays and being able to watch Pro League while enjoying some brews.

• Upvote (+1) 5

I think people fling ideas around for putting people in charge of eSports way too carelessly. The same misconception applies when people think that being a Pro Player in the past makes you a good caster.

I just want someone who knows Halo's history, understands competitive merit, is communicative with the players and community, leaves shitty biases out of the picture, has a passion for Halo eSports, and most importantly someone who doesn't take long to make decisions/actions. One of the biggest problems that arises with Halo currently is the speed of decision making and turnarounds/fixes.

I'd like to introduce everyone to my new Campaign Manager.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Agree. I think a lot of people (including some pros) still don't grasp the amount of resources it takes to run live events, or take it for granted instead. It's not terribly difficult to wake up in hotels, drop by to play their matches, collect their winnings, and afterparty. The planning, equipment / venue setup, and money that go into these events - I'd consider the people behind the scenes to be the true MVPs here. Just because MLG is the standard doesn't mean that it's easy for anyone else to pull off. Spreadsheets, making calls, setting alarms, emails, negotiations, logistical shit. However, I think if ESL wants to be alpha they should be willing to throw more weight ($$$) around... hopefully 2016 going into 2017 will have some additional steps. Which makes the average Joes (pun intended I guess?) who put up the funds and time to host these events even more incredible. 

I think equally faulted should be 343 and Microsoft as well for implementing the design choices they have. We know the LAN restrictions are awful. One other design choice that still amazes me was the lack of split screen support. If anything, these two decisions really killed a lot of the momentum Halo has been working on, especially since it's always been pitted as a Microsoft / Xbox-only exclusive. Looking back, would split screen have retained a higher audience than 1080p 60fps, all else equal? 

On seeding, what if it were 1-2-3-4 in an upper bracket, 5-6-7-8 in lower bracket, where 7-8 would play single elim BO5 (or some variant) with top 2 AM. Winners of those play 5-6 in single elim, with 2 LB winners inserted into UB, which then becomes double elim. 2 LB winners vs 3-4. 1-2 gets an extra bye (and added incentive from pro league success, one less stage for fluke loss). Yes, the lowest seeds have to play arguably the most games, but it also provides upside opportunity for a streaky run (which does happen in Halo) while allowing for downside protection from the leaders. 

Yep. We could have done it, but I did not think investing $20,000+ into a LAN event where I was not 100% confident the game would support matches, didn't seem like the smartest business move. I love Halo so it sucks to have to say that, but at the end of the day you have to weigh the pros and cons when you are spending that amount of cash.

It seems more realistic and viable for companies like ESL who are funded by the developer to host things like this on a semi-regular basis, in relevant locations (not 2 west coast events).

Wow what an interesting past few pages, especially between ESL and MLG.   

With the significant areas of disconnect between HCS and the community along with the lack of Open events, does this mean ESL is doing a bad job or does this mean this community is wide open for another Org to start a league and take it new places?

I am seriously surprised another group hasn't popped up and at least did a one-off online tourney with different settings yet.  How hard would that be to pull off?   

• Upvote (+1) 2

Wow what an interesting past few pages, especially between ESL and MLG.   

I did want to point out, with the significant areas of disconnect between HCS and the community along with the lack of Open events, does this mean ESL is doing a bad job or does this mean this community is wide open for another Org to start a league and take it new places?

I am seriously surprised another group hasn't popped up and at least did a one-off online tourney with different settings yet.  How hard would that be to pull off?   

UGC? 

I do want to point out that yes, events aren't easy and yes they are expensive, but we are living in a time when experiential marketing is really taking off.  Brands want to be part of events where their target audience is engaged, so there are tons of opportunities to raise capital and to make a profit off of it. I don't know if the eSports industry has any hard numbers from recent events that would have enough pull to get lots of sponsor dollars.  I think it would be a matter of starting off with smaller strategic events to prove the concept before going bigger, which in lies the risk.  

The big question at the end of the day is, would changing things up to really connect with the community such as open events, give a reasonable turn on investment?  343 has a vested interest in keeping their community engaged and growing it, and should shoulder some of that risk (as they have).  

I do want to point out that instead of doing a million dollar finals, they may have been better off putting those dollars towards a few open events.  Massive prize pools can attract more viewers, but I think 343 needs to invest more into the scene leading up to an event like that with a much larger audience.  

• Upvote (+1) 1

It has to do with how Jack carry's herself on social media. There's also a story there but it's not my place to tell nor does it belong on this board.

:kappa:

I didn't realize that was a gif at first, freaked me out a bit.

What freaks me out is that all of you guys are creepily obsessed with her.  :lxthul:

• Upvote (+1) 2

Couldnt forge maps work if theyre forged on actual maps? Example being outside of Fathom or Eden.

Twitch Prime is such a cool benefit to having Amazon Prime. Time to get out there and sub to your favorite streamer for free!

• Upvote (+1) 1

At what point when so many people in the community are saying the exact same thing, do you look back and realize the old structure is messed up and try to work something out to change it for the better @@Timo? Yes it's set up a certain way at the moment but what's stopping the discussion for opening up finals to (at least) the 6 teams avoiding relegation? The only reason given so far is your opinion that you don't think it's fair for everyone to make finals then base that opinion on something like the NFL which has 32 teams, or NBA which has 30. I mean that's comparing apples to oranges especially when their seasons have the same setup as playoffs where Pro League is online and finals are LAN which I think everybody will agree yield completely different results and that's without even factoring in 343's major screw up of the connection issues which peaked in my opinion when EU couldn't start the 2nd match of the 1st series for like 2 hours. So far you guys have done an excellent job listening to the community and improving the viewing experience each week in the form of shorter pre-show and being on top of players for downtime between games/series. Let's take it one step further and realize with this close of competition this season between all 8 teams (thank you LOL and @@aPG for stepping it up and making it all the more interesting) it wouldn't make for a great finals experience Halo needs to start the true comeback that Worlds started?

• Upvote (+1) 2

Twitch Prime is such a cool benefit to having Amazon Prime. Time to get out there and sub to your favorite streamer for free!

For those unaware, if you're a student you can get prime for $49 annually. 100% worth the $50 especially with the new Twitch features.

• Upvote (+1) 4