CyReN

HCS Pro League Fall 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

NBA teams sounds great and all, maybe they will inject money into the sport but I doubt it. Its likely just an investment, I doubt they actually care about video games. Its a good time to jump on the eSports bandwagon, the cost is low, and to upside is huge.

To me eSports and Halo need more orgs like Optic. They are using media to leverage their brand better than any other org. They provide a constant stream of content targeted at their exact audience. This is building a huge following. I'm way more interested in Scump and watching him play because of all the content he puts out. Winning championships sound great and it is, but optic is winning where it truly counts, with the fans.

Maybe there is another org that does this as good as Optic?

Edit: The dreaded double post.... Forgive me, TB usually hits 2-3 messages before I can type a book like that.

I understand being cautious around acquisitions, but I can't get with your line of thinking. What is "just and investment"? Investors don't typically throw their money behind something that they don't view as promising.

Sure an investor might be more interested in making money than in the games themselves. But extracting value out of an investment almost always means delivering a better product to consumers. The business types who find success in Esports will be the ones who hire and support those who are passionate about the scene, understand its value and want it to grow. That's how investors will make their profit.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I just pop in once in a while to dump stuff if that's okay.

Org badges if you like. Now you can support more than 2 orgs in your sig without it being huge.

nv.png  liquid.png  alg.png  eg.png  optic.png  lum.png  lol.png  wfx.png

I'm dumping some of my halo esports designs here, so they're easier to find. Still taking requests via PM or Twitter. Alright, bye.

Would it be frowned upon for me to have all of these in my sig?  :fire:

• Upvote (+1) 4

Org badges if you like. Now you can support more than 2 orgs in your sig without it being huge.

I'm dumping some of my halo esports designs here, so they're easier to find. Still taking requests via PM or Twitter. Alright, bye.

You are awesome. +Rep for eternity. Also, thank you for my sigs  :)

• Upvote (+1) 2

I understand being cautious around acquisitions, but I can't get with your line of thinking. What is "just and investment"? Investors don't typically throw their money behind something that they don't view as promising.

Sure an investor might be more interested in making money than in the games themselves. But extracting value out of an investment almost always means delivering a better product to consumers. The business types who find success in Esports will be the ones who hire and support those who are passionate about the scene, understand its value and want it to grow. That's how investors will make their profit.

You would think that getting value out of an investment means providing the best product, unfortunately that isn't always true. A lot of acquisitions don't improve the businesses, they destroy them. Many times the purchase is to leverage brands, processes, or specific products and then they remove whatever is leftover. Not saying that will be the case for eSports since the goal is to get income from sponsorship/merchandise/ect...

Sorry to be so cynical, but my experience with corporations/large investment firms is that Shareholders > Customers.

You would think that getting value out of an investment means providing the best product, unfortunately that isn't always true. A lot of acquisitions don't improve the businesses, they destroy them. Many times the purchase is to leverage brands, processes, or specific products and then they remove whatever is leftover. Not saying that will be the case for eSports since the goal is to get income from sponsorship/merchandise/ect...

Sorry to be so cynical, but my experience with corporations/large investment firms is that Shareholders > Customers.

Your right, that boils down to "not all business ventures being successful". Many Aquisitions do fail, and there are many that are hostile... That aren't mutually beneficial.

However, In the case of Esports, there is really no physical or intellectual property to leverage into profit. "The Valuable Assests" are the players and their personalities- that's what the Brands are built on. So, The only way for investors to make money, is for Esports and the athletes to become more popular. So that's almost guarunteed to be where investors will expect efforts to be focused.

Shareholders ARE more important than customers to the business types. But in entertainment, the only way to please shareholders is to deliver a product that customers want to consume.

• Upvote (+1) 2

The Pro Player Spotlight with Falcated might be up this week if we can get it done in time. I'm out of town this weekend for TwitchCon, so worst case scenario I'll get it up next week. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Is it possible to get the gold rep bar without being a level 50 Meme Lord? Or should I just give up on the golden dream?  :mj:

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 4

I swear this is like the 3rd announcement of an NBA player(or the like) partnering with an esports org.

The other thing is that NBA could most reflect your eSports type. Investors from basketball that deal with teams of 5 are already aware of the typical ROI from smaller teams whereas an NFL team that has 60+ players plus your staff isn't quite accustomed to small team business. I mean how often do you see the type of relationship between coach and player like Tim Duncan and Pop were on San Antonio. NBA is probably the closest sport to the "family" mentality.

Would buying it now be like buying a throw back? Or would it just be dumb?

Would you like to have a Final Boss hoodie or a pair of sweats? 

Not saying CLG = FB

• Upvote (+1) 1

i bought it the day they switched orgs, haha. no shame. 

Winterfox but no Enigma 6?   :kappa:

• Upvote (+1) 6

You'd be smart because they're the best looking in the game.

• Upvote (+1) 1

For anyone that is planning to attend the UGC St Louis Open, I made a mega post detailing the best spots for food and drinks in the area in the official UGC St. Louis thread.

Hope to see a lot of you there!

• Upvote (+1) 3