CyReN

HCS Pro League Fall 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

MLG is going to be having a little Destiny exhibition match today lol. Great to see Bungie back at it in some fashion. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Empire strongholds is a clusterfuck of autos and grenades. It's not competitive at all and to make it worse they add a saw to it.

"Yo so we have definitely been listening to your complaints about the auto use in Empire SH. A lot of ppl have been abusing the storm rifle so we got you a counter for it. This is a Saw. Yea, it's like an AR except way more OP. You are welcome." - 343.

Th..Thanks?

• Upvote (+1) 2

I am shocked the radar debate is still going so strong, honestly. I get it, and the game could be better without it, but I really think it's at least midway down the list of Halo 5's issues. It has a super short range, and players/the action move very quickly in close quarters--you may not even see a player on radar before they're on you, and you don't have time to look at it during a fight.

This game really doesn't suffer from many standoffs--most pro matches don't even last that long!--and if they do drag on, I really don't think it's radar's fault. The presence of radar is also something to strategically plan around on its own, too, since you can make crouch plays and fool people watching radar. We don't see much camping in....any gametype? You're usually better served moving and rotating in Halo 5, the radar is just more information. Think people are making a way too big deal of it, while weapons, spawn times, auto power, and other settings have a much bigger impact.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 7

"Yo so we have definitely been listening to your complaints about the auto use in Empire SH. A lot of ppl have been abusing the storm rifle so we got you a counter for it. This is a Saw. Yea, it's like an AR except way more OP. You are welcome." - 343.

Th..Thanks?

The SAW is the only automatic on Empire SH, so it's not countering an SMG or a Storm Rifle at all.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Destiny MLG (with Puck!) game already has 46k viewers. We need to start thinking about how to attract a bigger audience. 

Work with MLG then?

giphy.gif

I would be so happy if 343 announced that. 

SO HAPPY  :prayers:

That feeling when destiny has 60k viewers for an exhibition match.  :mj:

• Upvote (+1) 5

This game really doesn't suffer from many standoffs--most pro matches don't even last that long!--and if they do drag on, I really don't think it's radar's fault. The presence of radar is also something to strategically plan around on its own, too, since you can make crouch plays and fool people watching radar. We don't see much camping in....any gametype? You're usually better served moving and rotating in Halo 5, the radar is just more information. Think people are making a way too big deal of it, while weapons, spawn times, auto power, and other settings have a much bigger impact.

Pack it up boys. We are ending this argument by using this guy's opinions as facts like he is.

Case: Closed.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

That feeling when destiny has 50k viewers for an exhibition match.  :mj:

So would 99% of the Halo community.

Yeah, exactly, and we don't want any of that. Lockout was inherently anti-flanking and at some points became a game of chess. You can get into a proper argument about whether Lockout was a well designed map, but a lack of radar made slow engagnents actually work. one of the reasons jumping down to s1 from s2 is so exciting is because you legitimately don't know where they are in a small room, and whether the engagement will be a baited bxr, or you'll get nade combo'd from doorway. Even just the minor things like that completely change the chemisty and fun of a map, and for christs sake we all know how awful Lockout is with radar.

So with that perspective, think about how even the slowest maps will play miles better without a radar spoiling positioning and movement.

And don't get me started on soundwhoring, if you've ever played CoD FFA pubs then you know how fucking stupid it is, Halo definitely doesn't want any more of that.

I understand where you're coming from, but lets apply this to Halo 5 now. Why do you think Royal 2 moved from that position by blue turbine after getting a kill? It's because he knew that if he stood there, the opposing team would have figured out a way to take him out from that position and create a man advantage. There are 4 quick entry ways to where the rocket spawns from blue side; blue bend, blue sneaky, the pit jump up and red bridge. S3 on Lockout only has 1 quick entry and that's from top mid short cut, making the snipe tower setup a lot harder to break and a lot easier to hold regardless of how predictable that setup is. Radar in Halo 5 will only work so much with its reduced motion sensor radius when the opponent knows exactly where you are and decides to sprint slide thrust to your area before you can react to it. Teams playing Team Slayer at a high level in Halo 5 usually rotate their setups to keep their opponents guessing. That is the counter for radar abuse. This also why Halo 5 isn't as stagnate as you make it out to be.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Destiny MLG (with Puck!) game already has 46k viewers. We need to start thinking about how to attract a bigger audience.

Honestly destiny probably has a bigger casual following than halo. People are excited that destiny is getting attention. Destiny is the perfect example of why a game needs to be appealing to casuals. That will help it grow exponentially.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I am shocked the radar debate is still going so strong, honestly. I get it, and the game could be better without it, but I really think it's at least midway down the list of Halo 5's issues. It has a super short range, and players/the action move very quickly in close quarters--you may not even see a player on radar before they're on you, and you don't have time to look at it during a fight.

yup, you dont know what you are talking about

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Honestly destiny probably has a bigger casual following than halo. People are excited that destiny is getting attention. Destiny is the perfect example of why a game needs to be appealing to casuals. That will help it grow exponentially.

Agreed. That was the problem with Halo 5, they focused too much on making Halo super competitive, and totally shit on the casual community. 

I cannot believe people don't think radar is a big issue. It's a massive crutch. As an example, yesterday I got into a close quarters battle with someone and they jumped and thrusted to my side, I had no idea where they'd gone so just looked at radar and swivelled in the right direction and melee'd him. He'd juked me and yet the radar gave me his location.

• Upvote (+1) 9

Agreed. That was the problem with Halo 5, they focused too much on making Halo super competitive, and totally shit on the casual community. 

What is the saying?: "A jack of all trades is a master of none." 

Imo it was the focus on having universal settings in general that hurt the game. Team arena could have been classic halo settings and the pro league would probably have the same following. (I highly doubt it would have hurt viewership at least.)

• Upvote (+1) 2

I cannot believe people don't think radar is a big issue. It's a massive crutch. As an example, yesterday I got into a close quarters battle with someone and they jumped and thrusted to my side, I had no idea where they'd gone so just looked at radar and swivelled in the right direction and melee'd him. He'd juked me and yet the radar gave me his location.

You rely on your headset sometimes to determine the location of your opponent I'm guessing. Just to play devils advocate here, with no radar, how would you plan on engaging that player knowing full well he doesn't know where you are? Spartan Charge the shit out him! Would you like that to happen to you the majority of a game? I wouldn't.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Remember when the MCC Invitational had 45k viewers. man. if only we could have piggy backed successfully off that awesome debut.

• Upvote (+1) 7

Remember when the MCC Invitational had 45k viewers. man. if only we could have piggy backed successfully off that awesome debut.

Would have been nice if 343 didn't release such a broken piece of shit. Honestly regret not refunding that garbage. 

• Upvote (+1) 9

I know people feel watching a "one gun game" gets boring regarding either the pistol on H1 (when in reality there's a variety of weapons used) or BR's in H2/H3 but I'd much rather watch those style of games than the Eden game that Royal 2 posted. No offense to him, considering that he got a perfection but at what point does crouching with a shotgun become more enjoyable to watch than other versions of Halo?

I posted it in another thread regarding Radar. Halo CE has a lot more verticality than Halo 5. Shadowrun has a lot more movement options/abilities than Halo 5. Neither NEEDS radar. Halo 5 doesn't NEED radar either. Over time the game will evolve and players will pick up on patterns and be able to anticipate movements better.

Preach. If it's too chaotic, then buff the pistol so players in bad positions can be punished faster. Faster kill times naturally result in more structured play. I don't personally believe that's necessary, but that's probably the solution if it ends up being a problem.

• Upvote (+1) 5