CyReN

HCS Pro League Fall 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Yeah dude. I was the first in my house hold to be Halo CE and I did it with a usb Playstation controller. Those were the days man. 

Yeah, memories of lugging huge old school TV's along the street to a friends house for a system link night :)

• Upvote (+1) 1

Depends on the gametype and map

Yup, just like H2A Warlock TS vs Lockout TS.

Eden TS is the only H5 gametype/map that comes close to Lockout. Sure, Rig & Plaza can slow down a bit sometimes, but they usually make it to score limit.

Big problem isn't the "speed" of gameplay, whatever that is, it's the snowballing. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

My guess is to give us something consistent -- there may have been feedback during testing that, "I don't like objective gametypes as much because I'm looking at respawn screen for twice as long." -- and so as a result, 343 just moved the spawn time for both closer toward its median.

Instead of Objectives being 10s and Slayer being 5s, like we've had forever, it's now 8s for both.  So we have consistency, and objectives don't have a subconscious feel of being less fun due to more time spent dead.

I've noticed it in all Halo's but always assumed the longer respawn time in objective was for an actual reason relating to the game type.

It's definitely not the fastest game. However it's much faster than any other recent entry in the Franchise. How many TS games do we have go to time? How often are we in multiple minute deadlock standoffs?

H2A was a huge culprit of slow gameplay, so maybe it's clouding my judgement, but it's nice not having Slayers end at 10-9

That is true.  I think its faster than 4 or reach.  In terms of how the game speed feels to me from fastest to slowest:

H2 > H1 > H5 > H3 > Reach > The 4

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Besides there being radar. Royal 2 camping in blue turbine, under blue sneaking is no different from when a player on Lockout would stare at "short cut" from top mid to S3 to hold a snipe tower setup. If you watch Royal 2's gameplay again, you will notice that one of his kills while camping from that position was from sound whoreing a guy crouching up to blue sneaking, making him invisible on radar.

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 1

There are some fast as fuck players in football; hell, the Oregon Ducks sent a player to sprint in the Olympics. I still think football is a slow paced game with all the stoppages in play. I don't think H5 is the slowest game out there, but just like football, there are things in the game that cause it to not be as fast as the player speed suggests.

• Upvote (+1) 8

you will notice that one of his kills while camping from that position was from sound whoreing a guy crouching up to blue sneaking, making him invisible on radar.

While I'm not defending radar here, I would like to note:

Radar is more fair than sound-whoring, since it's not based on your equipment/peripherals and out-of-game surroundings to determine whether or not you can find the guy.

Overwatch plays very much based off sounds, and has amazing sound design that gives you all the information you need, but playing with mono sound vs playing with a headset is MUCH different.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Radar is more fair than sound-whoring, since it's not based on your equipment/peripherals and out-of-game surroundings to determine whether or not you can find the guy.

Overwatch plays very much based off sounds, and has amazing sound design that gives you all the information you need, but playing with mono sound vs playing with a headset is MUCH different.

It's also more fair to not have on map pick ups that are straight upgrades but here we are.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Meh, I dont think fairness is relevant though in this case.  Everybody that plays at a high level uses a decent headset.  If you aren't playing at that level, you aren't going to be paying attention to sound anyway.  Sound can let you know that somewhere is around and pretty close to what direction they are coming from, but you still have to actually pay attention and decipher whether its an opponent or a teammate.  It also can't tell you EXACTLY when someone is about to round a corner.

One thing I dont like about the sound in this game is that it is too easy to hear opponents just crouching around, like wut?

Maybe I am wrong about the speed of Halo, but I am sure as fuck hyped for pro league. It's been sorely missed. 

• Upvote (+1) 9

How often are we in multiple minute deadlock standoffs?

Fathom CTF would like a word with you.

Edit: Also Deadlock CTF, since you mentioned it.  :kappa:

Besides there being radar. Royal 2 camping in blue turbine, under blue sneaking is no different from when a player on Lockout would stare at "short cut" from top mid to S3 to hold a snipe tower setup. If you watch Royal 2's gameplay again, you will notice that one of his kills while camping from that position was from sound whoreing a guy crouching up to blue sneaking, making him invisible on radar.

Yeah, exactly, and we don't want any of that. Lockout was inherently anti-flanking and at some points became a game of chess. You can get into a proper argument about whether Lockout was a well designed map, but a lack of radar made slow engagnents actually work. one of the reasons jumping down to s1 from s2 is so exciting is because you legitimately don't know where they are in a small room, and whether the engagement will be a baited bxr, or you'll get nade combo'd from doorway. Even just the minor things like that completely change the chemisty and fun of a map, and for christs sake we all know how awful Lockout is with radar.

So with that perspective, think about how even the slowest maps will play miles better without a radar spoiling positioning and movement.

And don't get me started on soundwhoring, if you've ever played CoD FFA pubs then you know how fucking stupid it is, Halo definitely doesn't want any more of that.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I find it weird that people complain about how slow H5 is then go on to hate on Regret Slayer and Empire Strongholds.......  :wutface:

• Upvote (+1) 5

I find it weird that people complain about how slow H5 is then go on to hate on Regret Slayer and Empire Strongholds....... :wutface:

Empire strongholds is a clusterfuck of autos and grenades. It's not competitive at all and to make it worse they add a saw to it.
  • Upvote (+1) 5

I find it weird that people complain about how slow H5 is then go on to hate on Regret Slayer and Empire Strongholds....... :wutface:

Empire Strongholds is bad. Regret needs to remove the Scattershot.

(I don't think Halo 5 is slow though

• Upvote (+1) 1

The problem with those gametypes is not the speed, I assure you.

Empire strongholds is a clusterfuck of autos and grenades. It's not competitive at all and to make it worse they add a saw to it.

I feel like it's only that way if your team isn't rotating outside, and is just death charging Pit. I always get more kills with my pistol on that map then my AR.

Empire Strongholds is bad. Regret needs to remove the Scattershot.

(I don't think Halo 5 is slow though )

I agree Regret need to get rid of the scatter shot. I like that map better with only one power weapon.

Anyone else want to try a Sniper on Truth? 

No? Just me? Ok.

Honestly though, I've hated every power weapon they've put on that map, with the fuel rod being the worst. And a Sniper worked well on Zealot back in Reach. (I know they're not the same, but similar sight lines......

I want to try it next preview playlist. :)

• Upvote (+1) 1

The problem with those gametypes is not the speed, I assure you.

I like those game types. (Regret Slayer and Coli Flag are my favorite modes in the game). What's wrong with them? I know Empire is a little auto and nade heavy but other then that it's fine.

I like those game types. (Regret Slayer and Coli Flag are my favorite modes in the game). What's wrong with them? I know Empire is a little auto and nade heavy but other then that it's fine.

Regret has the same problem as all slayers (8 second respawn), and getting top control is just insanely dominant. Collapsing on spawners is really, really easy on that map. Teams usually go on really big runs on that map.