CyReN

HCS Pro League Fall 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

@@MultiLockOn Is tom french lying?

Yeah, sure. He's either lying or misinformed. If you look through his tweets you can also see another where he says the performance drops are caused from a rendering bug that affects every part of the game, not just forge maps. Plenty of people noticed it several updates back.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Why would he lie? He is one of the most hard working employees in 343.

Exactly

Yeah, sure. He's either lying or misinformed. If you look through his tweets you can also see another where he says the performance drops are caused from a rendering bug that affects every part of the game, not just forge maps. Plenty of people noticed it several updates back.

Link it then

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I am going to boldly predict optic doesn't finish first this weekend.

Link it then

I assume this is the tweet he's referring to.  It was posted immediately after the tweet that I posted.  

• Upvote (+1) 1

I assume this is the tweet he's referring to. It was posted immediately after the tweet that I posted.

Well, there goes our hope for forge maps in Hcs.

So is this affecting every single forge map ? Played only Orion so far and drops were extreme.

I assume this is the tweet he's referring to.  It was posted immediately after the tweet that I posted.  

He also replied that it was caused by the object limit and new stuff to the same tweet

Well, there goes our hope for forge maps in Hcs.

So is this affecting every single forge map ? Played only Orion so far and drops were extreme.

It's not even limited to forge.  It's just more obvious on forge maps.  I think it's something that can be worked around, but forgers need to be pretty conservative with object count, lighting, physics, etc.  A forge map that's approaching the limits for some of those categories is not going to run smoothly.

He also replied that it was caused by the object limit and new stuff to the same tweet

I know.  It just doesn't make much sense.  Why would increasing the object limit in forge or adding material overlay options affect frame rate on developer made maps?  I don't get it.  I feel like something is missing from his explanation.

• Upvote (+1) 1

It's not even limited to forge.  It's just more obvious on forge maps.  I think it's something that can be worked around, but forgers need to be pretty conservative with object count, lighting, physics, etc.  A forge map that's approaching the limits for some of those categories is not going to run smoothly.

I know.  It just doesn't make much sense.  Why would increasing the object limit in forge or adding material overlay options affect frame rate on developer made maps?  I don't get it.  I feel like something is missing from his explanation.

Has anyone else had problems on dev maps? I haven't it's only on the updated forge maps. 

Has anyone else had problems on dev maps? I haven't it's only on the updated forge maps. 

I haven't played the game in over 6 months so I can't comment on it personally, but I've been seeing people complain about it on here for months.  It apparently started becoming a problem right after the Anvils Legacy DLC was released.

Also at that time, forge maps that had previously run fine suddenly had bad frame rate.

I have, but only ever on my girlfriend's Xbox, not mine or any of the others I've played on

I recall some pros were complaining about issues with framerate, screen tearing, and the game freezing at times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiL1skOaYgo

Not sure if it's an issue with connections or the actual engine struggling 

• Upvote (+1) 4

I have, but only ever on my girlfriend's Xbox, not mine or any of the others I've played on

Is hers an older xbox? Does it have less hd space? If you have an xbox one s I doubt you'll lag on any maps.

I recall some pros were complaining about issues with framerate, screen tearing, and the game freezing at times

Yeah I definitely cant speak for warzone. I've only had problems on some of the new or updated forge maps. New Orion specifically. Other maps I only really lag in certain areas but Orion is a shit show. 

Is hers an older xbox? Does it have less hd space? If you have an xbox one s I doubt you'll lag on any maps.

Yeah I definitely cant speak for warzone. I've only had problems on some of the new or updated forge maps. New Orion specifically. Other maps I only really lag in certain areas but Orion is a shit show. 

You say that as if there was a point in time where Orion wasn't shit...

You say that as if there was a point in time where Orion wasn't shit...

Nah dude Orion is totally a good map. Up there with Torque  :kappa:

• Upvote (+1) 1

I've never noticed any sort of frame rate decrease on dev maps, unless we're talking about the random drops that happen when you bring up the game stats. I have noticed a ton on most forge maps, and almost always when looking at certain parts of a map. For instance, there are maps where there's a ton of lag if you look towards the center, but you can turn around and look at the wall and get no lag. So there's definitely issues with Forge maps. This makes sense to me, because, without knowing too much of how anything actually works, I can imagine dev maps to be more "static" and defined, with most of the map being a solid object, while Forge maps are an instance with hundreds or thousands of items placed in certain locations.

Regarding the Warzone stuff, that's a whole other situation. I rarely notice frames dropping, but having the game freeze for a second is very common, and almost always when someone leaves or joins the game. That same thing even happens in Overwatch, where the game hiccups for about half a second as people leave or join the game.

• Upvote (+1) 3

There 100% was a frame rate glitch on dev maps. It looked like it was a dirty disc on old halos and it would freeze and skip. It came and went though.

I think they ruined pegasus

There 100% was a frame rate glitch on dev maps. It looked like it was a dirty disc on old halos and it would freeze and skip. It came and went though.

I think they ruined pegasus

Oh they definitely ruined pegasus. I get terrible fps by the new rocket spawn and the spawns in general on the map are fucked. I repeatedly spawn in the new snipe spawn when people are in courtyard/blue tower.

I've played Pegasus and Orion in Skirmish plenty of times now, and the frame rate tanks when I approach certain forge blocks. 

Oddly enough, she's got an S and has far more room left than mine. Mine is an OG Xbone with something like 5% left on my hard drive. It was bizarre playing on her box. Ever gamemode had some serious frame rate issues across the board. It was nearly unplayable to be honest, and usually I'm pretty lenient with criticism.

Wow I've had this happen a heap of times since the update, I thought it was my internet being shitty. 

Why are scuf paddles so hard to take out? I ended up breaking the right one. And I ididbt know you couldn't remap without the magnet shit. Fuck this

Did this update fix the glitch where your internet connection gets slow sometimes?

Or the classic "They DEFINITELY didn't fix the aiming because I still suck"

Why are scuf paddles so hard to take out? I ended up breaking the right one. And I ididbt know you couldn't remap without the magnet shit. Fuck this

Is that why you quit out of Rig Slayer while getting bent over the proverbial barrel? :kappa:  :bman:

So there is some light in this darkness.

Simpler maps, like White Cell, or even CE inspired maps/remakes still work pretty well, with only a minor drop in frame-rate in obscure locations. Forgers are basically going to have to be creative with their methods of making something look pretty without killing the screen.

I'm thinking detailing and lighting will be the biggest mountain to climb. But I think we can do it.

• Upvote (+1) 1