CyReN

HCS Pro League Fall 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Slayer snowballs like hell in Halo 5, they need to address that aspect above all else if they want it to be competitive 

I know Slayer is the least competitive mode in Halo, but I like it, I think it's fun to watch and I like playing it even though it's broken. I want it to stay. 

• Upvote (+1) 4

A round based elimination Assault-like gametype with default health settings, good weapon placements on the right maps would be a great alternative to Slayer IMO. I think Breakout gave the idea of something like this a bad stigma since it was executed so poorly.

I really don't understand why people think elimination with default health in Halo is even remotely a good idea. There's a reason they sped up the kill times in the original version of breakout. It's the same reason people advocate for the 4sk magnum in regular gametypes. Longer kill times make team shot more essential and more effective. Without respawns, your chances of coming back against half competent teams when you're down a player or two are extremely remote. That's exactly the reason Arena Breakout was terrible and it's the reason they added shotguns to the Breakout "refresh." 

Elimination works in games like GoW and CS (and even CoD) because the fast perfect kill times mean individual players have the potential to even the odds extremely quickly. That is not the case with a 5sk, 1.2 second magnum ttk.

• Upvote (+1) 5

I really don't understand why people think elimination with default health in Halo is even remotely a good idea. There's a reason they sped up the kill times in the original version of breakout. It's the same reason people advocate for the 4sk magnum in regular gametypes. Longer kill times make team shot more essential and more effective. Without respawns, your chances of coming back against half competent teams when you're down a player or two are extremely remote. That's exactly the reason Arena Breakout was terrible and it's the reason they added shotguns to the Breakout "refresh." 

Elimination works in games like GoW and CS (and even CoD) because the fast perfect kill times mean individual players have the potential even the odds extremely quickly. That is not the case with a 5sk, 1.2 second magnum ttk.

So what you're saying is that 343's incompetence makes Elimination gametypes incredibly stupid?

In a perfect world with a better utility weapon, elimination might be possible. I was just theorizing.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Because in a game like Halo, that has shields and significantly slower kill-times, it becomes exponentially more difficult to win rounds after simply one person goes down. We actually have tried Breakout (well, it was forced upon us) and there was a team that literally committed suicide on stream because they hate playing that gametype so much. No one wanted to watch it and no one wanted to play it.

It's a cool idea for what it was, but some things just aren't competitively viable. Elimination has been around since CE, but it's not played competitively in Halo for a lot of reasons.

I've been searching for the suicide breakout vod for awhile. Anybody got a link?

So what you're saying is that 343's incompetence makes Elimination gametypes incredibly stupid?

In a perfect world with a better utility weapon, elimination might be possible. I was just theorizing.

It could work in a CE-like game because of the faster killtimes and the higher aiming skillgap, but it would still be pretty predictable which team wins a round after 1-2 players are down. Halo just isn't suited for elimination gametypes, I'd love to be proven wrong, but I just don't see it working.

lol. I suppose you could put it that way, but it's not like most of Bungie's Halo games would play elimination well with default player traits either, aside from maybe CE. The other issue would be the maps, which is why we got a bunch of dumpy, Breakout-specific forge stuff.

Slayer is good when the map is good, but I don't think it should be a game 5 tournament decider. Always have.

I think it's fun to watch a tense match. 

Just matched Kimbo, Phluxzur, Snakey and Qristola in arena.

I think the question everyone's dying to know is...

Did you have fun?

• Upvote (+1) 3

I think the question everyone's dying to know is...

Did you have fun?

Yes it was real fun 

If torque had fixed pillars would it be better than Stasis?

I think it would take a little bit more tweeking than just the pillars but it has the potential based on it being symmetrical alone

If torque had fixed pillars would it be better than Stasis?

We've discussed this with Quinn in the Arena thread. Short answer, yes, but the map has other big problems that need to be fixed as well.

Elimination works in games like GoW and CS (and even CoD) because the fast perfect kill times mean individual players have the potential to even the odds extremely quickly. That is not the case with a 5sk, 1.2 second magnum ttk.

Ya, elimination modes don't work in Halo. Well, maybe in HCE or a Halo game like CE.

Anyone remember team tactical from H3 lol? I think that was the only list nobody got a 50 in because not enough people played it to support proper MM. People couldn't find games in the mid to high 30s.

Slayer is Halo to me.  Or at least one of the core aspects.  Can't imagine it being removed.

LAN is Halo to me. The best aspect. Can't imagine it ....oh wait.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I don't get why it's so hard to change a few spawns for Stasis CTF @@Tashi @Deez 

Its not just the spawns.  its the map geometry.  There is a significant difference Blue side vs Red side that gives blue the positional advantage by default.  I think that map could actually be pretty good, and better than Torque, if they fixed that.

What games still use a deathmatch mode competitively? I feel like if we could get a decent version of Breakout it should replace slayer.

No slayer, no halo

well atleast imo