CyReN

HCS Pro League Fall 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

It's weird to see Bucks to go from top 8 at worlds, taking games from Clg to be 0-10 in Eu league. Epsilon really was team like no other, with very special skillset and chemistry.

Everything Eu has done afterwards was just building dreamteams out of paper champions. And while Fabe def is currently best Eu team, i dont think its as dominant and impressive as Epsilon was.

But again, that was back then, meta and competition has changed since.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Quinn saved Gears of War, if he didn't fuck up that series so badly with Judgement they never would have went back to their roots with Gears of War 4.

Holy next-level-meta, Batman. Quinn and you are evil geniuses!

Quinn saved Gears of War, if he didn't fuck up that series so badly with Judgement they never would have went back to their roots with Gears of War 4.

4D CHESS
  • Upvote (+1) 2

Think people's beef with the AR is I can just crouch and get a kill with it off spawn every time.

That sort of tactics shouldn't belong in the game. It's a mix of the Radar and just the overall power that is the issue. Shouldn't really do anything outside of absolute point blank.

The majority of ar kills really end in melees. would people be happier seeing 3 shots and melees than ar then a melee?
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Yes under perfect circumstances the AR wins, but even a single shot can alter a battle, a bit of splash damage from grenades, the guy not snapping on target, a thrust to the left or right, High ground or head glitches. A perfect situation never happens in Halo, or happens so rarely it doesn't matter.

If the AR was the better weapon the do me a favour and find the average kills across the community I promise you the pistol has more kills

Thats not really the point though, im not saying the pistol should easily beat the ar at close range but it should be possible without needing the ar player to miss a few shots

The majority of ar kills really end in melees. would people be happier seeing 3 shots and melees than ar then a melee?

If I had to choose the best of 2 evils, I would rather get crouched on by a Pistol than an AR.

I dislike both though :(

• Upvote (+1) 2

It's weird to see Bucks to go from top 8 at worlds, taking games from Clg to be 0-10 in Eu league. Epsilon really was team like no other, with very special skillset and chemistry.

Everything Eu has done afterwards was just building dreamteams out of paper champions. And while Fabe def is currently best Eu team, i dont think its as dominant and impressive as Epsilon was.

Yeah epsilon were awesome, i think that was why i got so excited when i heard jimbo was joining dinosaurs. Not to be unfortunately.

I feel for the Buks, they clearly cant put the time in anymore which is a shame cos with the right slayers on the team they can be some of the best support players around.

I would love to see an epsilon v fabe game though.

All being said fabe are a great team and could do very well at worlds with the right kind of practice.

How many upvotes did that post have before it was removed?

Irrelevant.

This is on the same level as chad claiming a pro hated him because he saw said pro +rep someone posting a joke about him. (Or whatever the fuck that was about).

More people with positive rep

Also irrelevant

Was +6 when I saw it.

Oh boy! Thats like the entire forum there.

• Upvote (+1) 2

"Witch hunt" did I seriously just read that? If someone is paid to grow a franchise and is doing the exact opposite, why shouldn't they lose their job? If i don't meet yearly targets my job can easily end up up for review, why should someone be allowed to effectively kill a franchise we love and not be called out on it? No one is saying he should be out on the street without a job, but he absolutely should be held accountable for the train wreck that has been H5, he clearly isn't qualified for the position regardless of what pieces of paper he has. Welcome to safe space 2016 though. I honestly think it will take Halo 6 to come out with super spartan charge and 1 hit kill autos before some people will stop drinking the kool aid.

• Upvote (+1) 9
  • Downvote (-1) 5

"Witch hunt" did I seriously just read that? If someone is paid to grow a franchise and is doing the exact opposite, why shouldn't they lose their job? If i don't meet yearly targets my job can easily end up up for review, why should someone be allowed to effectively kill a franchise we love and not be called out on it? No one is saying he should be out on the street without a job, but he absolutely should be held accountable for the train wreck that has been H5, he clearly isn't qualified for the position regardless of what pieces of paper he has. Welcome to safe space 2016 though. I honestly think it will take Halo 6 to come out with super spartan charge and 1 hit kill autos before some people will stop drinking the kool aid.

There's a big difference between being called out and having forum users call for your job. No one has ever had a problem with criticism, but calling for the guys job isn't that. As much weight as we (the competitive community) hold, I don't think anyone would agree we should be allowed to make hiring and firing decisions at 343. We can disagree with the job he's doing, which I'm sure a number of us do. But calling for him to be fired is crossing a line we (as a community) shouldn't cross. 

In the end we have to trust the process, eventually we'll either see one of three things happen.

1. The people in charge make the right decisions in regards to setting, lans, and other issues and we all live happily ever after.

2. Eventually people are replaced (by 343 and Microsoft, not TB)that show more care and love to Halos competitive roots.

3. The series dies in a competitive sense. 

Unfortunately, while 1 seems like the best option and would make everyone happy sooner, based on 343's past I don't think that will happen. I've worked for company's that just get by until there's a huge problem and then they'll change their ways. 343 seems like the same sort of thing, they're pleased with coasting by with average numbers and average lans but one day something catastrophic will happen and wholesale changes will need to be made. 

• Upvote (+1) 7

Calling out politicians for war efforts and destroying a nation? Thats fine.

However, calling out gaming developers for just doing probably what higher ups do I find a problem. The only time id probably call for the job of a games developer is if they just decided to charge 40-50 quid for more of the game otherwise you cant level up more.

I mean, Destiny done it and people still play it but yknow.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Hey all! It's been awhile since I've gotten the chance to make this post again but here I am! I flew myself out to HCS Las Vegas to photograph the event and enjoy some great(and super long) Halo action! 

I enjoyed the event overall but the only thing I didn't really enjoy was the super long hours :/ I ended up staying the entire time Day 1, I left at like 1:00 am Day 2, and stayed the whole time Day 3 till 3:00am. I just stayed up because I had to catch a flight at 9:30am lol

I tried to focus on AM and PRO for this event similar to how I did with PGL Indy. I wasn't working with 343 this event so I was kinda cautious where I would go. Most of the AM side nations were blocked off and wouldn't let me through because Im guessing the space was very small and they didn't want to have the isles crowded(which I totally understand). So I did the best I could and If I didn't get your picture...I really apologize :/ It's hard to keep track of who I shot and who I didn't. 

Lighting was awful on the side stations and was good on the MainStage but they would change It because the lights were affecting the players(which Is understandable).

One thing I still want to work on Is overcoming my anxiety more and getting pictures of people by asking them for their picture(silly I know). I did practice my reaction shots a lot this event. 

But I hope you guys enjoy the album and I seriously apperciate everyones support <3 I'll be skipping HCS Fall Finals because I can't afford to go and I can't find anyone to shoot for that would cover travel expenses. I will on the other hand be shooting my first Smash event next weekend at UGC! 

Hope to see you guys at Worlds! all my practice and studying will be going towards that event and hope to make It my best event ever!

ALBUM: https://flic.kr/s/aHskPt7KgP

Love you photography. I have all your flickr albums bookmarked in case I need a photo to create a wallpaper or something.

Surprised you havent been approached by 343. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Calling out politicians for war efforts and destroying a nation? Thats fine.

However, calling out gaming developers for just doing probably what higher ups do I find a problem. The only time id probably call for the job of a games developer is if they just decided to charge 40-50 quid for more of the game otherwise you cant level up more.

I mean, Destiny done it and people still play it but yknow.

I guess it comes down to how much power you think you have as a consumer. I feel like as a consumer and stock holder i can ask for a change. I dont think i can ask for a specific person to be fired, but to ask that we get better decision makers isnt out of line

Point is, you can't force the community to play a certain way, the community will tell you what it wants by its actions. People always ask me 'how do you know when a game is ready for esports' and to steal from Jurassic Park, 'esports always finds a way if it is going to happen'. If the game and community can support it, it will manifest and it is up to the publisher/organizers to harness it.

This is such a  good point. It makes you wonder, if Halo 5 had been allowed to organically evolve into a true competitive title and sport what kind of settings would the top players have favored? Have to believe autos, radar, and maybe even sprint would have been out straight away. 

I will say that while I understand 'universal settings' (I misunderstood the context of this when I was asked earlier), I don't agree that it is necessary for all levels of play. Universal settings should be the established and universal rule set for competitive play with no deviation; i.e. when the NBA hosts a game there is one defining rule set. However, as other users have pointed out, Basketball transcends that rule set and grows/thrives celebrating a variety of play styles, rule sets, and game modes:

• Highschool basketball different rules than the NBA
  • College basketball different rules from the NBA
  • Euro basketball different rules from the NBA
  • Olympics different rules from the NBA
  • HORSE
  • PIG
  • Around the world
  • 1v1
  • Playground style
  • Knockout
  • 1v1v1
  • ETC

Interest grows in the NBA due to a love of basketball in all of its varieties. Back in the day with Halo CE I remember scouring forums to find out what the top players were playing in regards to custom games. Why not make this information readily available? Put 'how to' guides in the game menu on how to set up games for different scenarios (i.e. HCS CTF is set up yada yada) so that anyone can set up custom games in the HCS/NBA style if they choose, but they're not forced to do it. Make playlists that have this standardized ruleset (i.e. the old MLG playlist) but also make lists that cover other styles.

Point is, you can't force the community to play a certain way, the community will tell you what it wants by its actions. People always ask me 'how do you know when a game is ready for esports' and to steal from Jurassic Park, 'esports always finds a way if it is going to happen'. If the game and community can support it, it will manifest and it is up to the publisher/organizers to harness it.

The current iteration of esports with overbearing corporate interest/meddling (NOT directed at Halo/343 or anyone in particular) is to force an agenda on the community instead of letting it happen organically. This is the wrong approach in my opinion. This industry is infantile and still very cyclical and I hope this will also pass as the generation that heralded esports into existence starts to take positions of influence across the industry.

One can hope.

save us 

giphy.gif

• Upvote (+1) 6

You've got to remember that Epsilon only had to beat Triggers Pound at worlds for an almost guaranteed top8. Even at that time I don't think Triggers Pound were truly a top8 US team, maybe not even top16, they had one of the easiest pool at NA regionals to make it.

It's hard to compare Fab to Epsilon since the level of competition has changed so much. But at Vegas last week Fab beat Pnda 3-0 as well as GS (also 3-0 I believe), who are both strong teams. They took a game from Str8 who have been on form recently and Liquid and nV were in a class of their own at that event. 

The reason the Buks have dropped off so much is because they both have full-time jobs and cannot practice nearly as much as the rest of the league, added to the fact they've gone from teaming with Jimbo & Snipedrone to Flamez & Vexzeus, who are by-no-means bad, but definitely a step down from before. 

In my opinion, Fab are better than Epsilon were, but like I said it's hard to make comparisons on teams that were playing at different stages of the game. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

I will say that while I understand 'universal settings' (I misunderstood the context of this when I was asked earlier), I don't agree that it is necessary for all levels of play. Universal settings should be the established and universal rule set for competitive play with no deviation; i.e. when the NBA hosts a game there is one defining rule set. However, as other users have pointed out, Basketball transcends that rule set and grows/thrives celebrating a variety of play styles, rule sets, and game modes:

• Highschool basketball different rules than the NBA
  • College basketball different rules from the NBA
  • Euro basketball different rules from the NBA
  • Olympics different rules from the NBA
  • HORSE
  • PIG
  • Around the world
  • 1v1
  • Playground style
  • Knockout
  • 1v1v1
  • ETC

Interest grows in the NBA due to a love of basketball in all of its varieties. Back in the day with Halo CE I remember scouring forums to find out what the top players were playing in regards to custom games. Why not make this information readily available? Put 'how to' guides in the game menu on how to set up games for different scenarios (i.e. HCS CTF is set up yada yada) so that anyone can set up custom games in the HCS/NBA style if they choose, but they're not forced to do it. Make playlists that have this standardized ruleset (i.e. the old MLG playlist) but also make lists that cover other styles.

The current iteration of esports with overbearing corporate interest/meddling (NOT directed at Halo/343 or anyone in particular) is to force an agenda on the community instead of letting it happen organically. This is the wrong approach in my opinion. This industry is infantile and still very cyclical and I hope this will also pass as the generation that heralded esports into existence starts to take positions of influence across the industry.

One can hope.

Help us @, you're our only hope

tumblr_lkot6w6QHJ1qcrzkko1_500.gif

seriously, the fact that you are still so passionate about this game should give you another shot at running halo

• Upvote (+1) 3

Is there any team here capable of relegating a team?

@@TheSimms

@@Wonderboy

Yes, MDR2 & Egoed look strong but new names always turn up when open circuit gets the spotlight. Prophecy have looked susceptible to teams that like to play agressively in the league and aggression is found in oodles within open teams so I'd put money on seeing at least one new Pro team after relegation (if I was a betting man that is

• Upvote (+1) 3