CyReN

HCS Pro League Fall 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Adding more teams would be there to make it more intresting at the bottom of the pro league.

Look at the English premier league for example.

It's entertaining to see hows going to win, and who is going to stay up.

The bottom teams of the premier league have more fans than the entire Halo pro league lineup.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

The bottom teams of the premier league have more fans than the entire Halo pro league lineup.

yeah but do they make more than 12k per year?

• Upvote (+1) 3

yeah but do they make more than 12k per year?

??? My point is that those lower tier matches of the Premier League have an audience, im not sure if their is an audicence for the lower tier teams in Halo.

Has there been any significant overhauls to the NA stream?

Have their also been any discussions about using more engaging content for downtime?

Also the interviews afterwards kinda become generic and turd filled unless Elamite is meme'd out with a pro and they can joke around.

Yes and yes to top 2 (struggling on mobile here), I don't want to go into details Frank as I don't want to confirm/promise anything that's not final but rest assured both points have been brought up and noted heavily.

As for interviews, I feel this is work in progress for everyone, interviewing both on a casters end and players end isn't the easiest thing in the world, im hoping time and practice will make these much better and engaging the more we go on. We'll also discuss internal how we get more and the very best from these!

Also to whomever above (really sorry mobile struggles) asked over Halo tweeting out, I'll certainly raise the question but maybe the account could potentially be more of a marketing tool for the halo franchise/products as a whole (I've no idea here btw as I don't work for 343) rather than the pro league side hence there is the separate and fully dedicated HCS/esports account for it.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Promotion is key but production and talent has gotta be spot on to hold those concurrents.

Has there been any significant overhauls to the NA stream? To be honest I would rather the EU talent cast the NA matches, and I don't think I'm really alone in that opinion either. Have their also been any discussions about using more engaging content for downtime? I really don't give a shit about Forge maps that I'll never play, and I can't imagine many people tuning in really do either, at least not the fourth or fifth or twenty fifth time.

Also fuck those dumb ass clips set to royalty free music holy shit those are hot garbage. 

Pay Clicked to use his content.

Also the interviews afterwards kinda become generic and turd filled unless Elamite is meme'd out with a pro and they can joke around. 

I dunno man just my shitty thoughts on the matter, dunno if any of that has been addressed. 

Also give Strongside some fucking cocaine and a thesaurus before the broadcasts thanks. 

You don't like asking "what was going through your mind" for every single interview, after every single match, every single night?

• Upvote (+1) 4

I really wish you were in charge of things lol. You somehow manage to always find the middle ground on everything that would push us towards actual improvements rather than getting dramatic or exaggerating something.

I don't know why it is so hard for 343 to implement anything close to what makes sense these days. Here's just one example: 

I played against Ghost and friends last night searching solo on a newer account as a Diamond 6 in Arena last night. I had 3 random players (two low level onyx, one low level diamond) on my team who either didn't have a mic in or were in private chat. They beat us 50-20 and after the game I sent ghost a message saying that 343 needs to fix the way match mode works in this game because in no way is it logical to match us with 4 champions let alone a team of 4. 

He sent me a message back saying that he agreed...

So I responded, don't agree - just do, stop spending time on shoving these horrible maps down our throats that every player in the community agrees are trash and work on fixing matchmaking. 

• Downvote (-1) 11

How are you guys enjoying the song of peace on the rig? I think it adds so much to the map.

• Upvote (+1) 7

The entire point of having esports leagues is to be a marketing tool for your game, though, so it doesn't make sense they would exclude Pro League promotion from being a candidate for @Halo main twitter promotion.

If they have an executive decision not to use it for that purpose, it is nothing but a mistake.

Ghost is a QA tester at 343, he's not in a position to just do.

Telling him that is the equivalent of yelling at the cashier at McDonalds for your McNuggets being cold.  He didn't cook your food.

That is a horrible comparison. 

Ghostayame plays the game every damn day, and he knows the issue... "just do" is figurative. 343 isn't a big enough sector to say that his input and suggestions mean nothing. Stopping solo matching against to4's... when it's the playlist he designs needs to be top priority. It drives people away from the game. 

I'm the perfect example of the player who doesn't want to hop on because I play solo the majority of the time. 

Like I said, "just do" is figurative... 343 as a whole needs to do a better job recognizing the major issues affecting this game and stop focusing time and effort on promoting small things, like horrible maps that we've said no to time and time again. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 4

Did a pro post something on how to change your mac address for a better connection in game?

People keep saying that the talent isn't out there for more teams. I think its more of a incentive problem. Why invest so much time and money working your way up to pro league when chances are you'll see little to no return. The players that have the drive an talent to reach the top have to contend with alot of hurdles the orgs could help with. But you only get a shot with an organization after you make it to the top. Thus the same group of players continue to play while the rest see no reason to bother. More spots in the pro league open up this revolving door of relegation that players and orgs can use to enter the league.

Even though I don't think 10 teams is totally reasonable in halo right now, I dislike how dramatic people act about the "lower" teams. Liquid got 7th and literally almost beat everyone. Optic beat a ALG team that ended up 3-0ing e6, took a game from us etc etc(yes I am aware they weren't that good last season), but saying things like they couldn't come close to the other 6 teams is so over dramatic to what the situation actually was.

More important than who beat whom is consistency. You'll see matchup anomalies in any sport in any season. But Optic was consistently bad. They only won 11 maps all season long, and the league average is 26.5 wins (I think). That means their poor play is more of and outlier than CLGs excellent play. I don't think people are being dramatic.

Edit: liquid did get better as the season progressed, but it's hard to argue that the bottom, will get much closer to the top.

Ghost is a QA tester at 343, he's not in a position to just do.

Telling him that is the equivalent of yelling at the cashier at McDonalds for your McNuggets being cold.  He didn't cook your food.

Let's be honest, the cashier is most likely who you'd tell your McNuggets are cold, though. And that person is in a much better position to tell whoever is in charge of the McNuggets that they were in fact cold.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Let's be honest, the cashier is most likely who you'd tell your McNuggets are cold, though. And that person is in a much better position to tell whoever is in charge of the McNuggets that they were in fact cold.

But if the manager comes back and says "I'm not replacing your McNuggets without a receipt." the cashier can't really do anything.

People keep saying that the talent isn't out there for more teams. I think its more of a incentive problem. Why invest so much time and money working your way up to pro league when chances are you'll see little to no return. The players that have the drive an talent to reach the top have to contend with alot of hurdles the orgs could help with. But you only get a shot with an organization after you make it to the top. Thus the same group of players continue to play while the rest see no reason to bother. More spots in the pro league open up this revolving door of relegation that players and orgs can use to enter the league.

That is how everything works in life, how do you call going to an University for 6 years to start your career? And your success is never guaranteed.

The entire point of having esports leagues is to be a marketing tool for your game, though, so it doesn't make sense they would exclude Pro League promotion from being a candidate for @Halo main twitter promotion.

If they have an executive decision not to use it for that purpose, it is nothing but a mistake.

Brought this up awhile back, not sure why it's hard for them.

Just a few thoughts on the low viewership and whatnot with the HCS, I think there are quite a few factors into why we are only seeing around 5k viewers besides the games popularity.

1) HCS Bubble: Since the HCS twitter has started, it's been the main focus to promote the Pro League. While this is great in theory to have our own little twitter feed for updates and scores it only has 31.5k followers. That isn't much, considering it's a new twitter and a lot of players and even Beyond have twice as much.

Halo Twitter Followers:

@Halo: 755k

HCS & Other Twitter Followers:

HCS: 31.5k

ESL Halo: 28.7k

Beyond:  62k

Misc Twitters: 150k~

Even with all these places promoting it from Pros, ESL, HCS, Beyond, Orgs and community driven pages, we aren't seeing half the reach we could with just the Halo page. Now I'm not asking for the @Halo twitter to spam the crap out of the stream. But, I think a simple tweet at the beginning of the stream on Thursday and Friday would go a long way to grow it.

--------------------------------------

2) Lack of stream promotion on social media: Since the Pro League began it's only been tweeted out twice by the @Halo twitter itself. To be fair, there have also been 9 RT's for the stream since June 1st. There was also just 1 post directly linking to the HCS stream on Facebook but it was the day before. They do a good job promoting their Top 5's, Podcast, and whatnot. This is good to build around it, but really the focus should be on the stream so it can grow with newer fans. New fans or casual aren't going to watch a random Top 5 of players or a 45 minute podcast on something they aren't familiar with.

3) Stream Times: I live in Michigan (EST timezone) and Pro League matches are usually running until 12am-1am for me on a Thursday and Friday night. Now I know there isn't a perfect time on the weekday for these streams. I honestly think Pro League matches on something like Saturday at 3pm or 6pm EST would be a good way to grow it. A lot of us work, classes, or just don't want to stay up this late.

4) Let the players stream: I know the players said that they are doing this to hopefully funnel viewership to the stream, but I really don't think it has made a huge difference...at all. Not only are viewers being punished missing watching their favorite players stream from playing, but with technical issues with the spectator mode can really hurt the overall experience. Some viewers may also be turned off by the commentary or community videos played ad nauseum. Let's grow the scene around our stars, people know of Lethul and Maniac for a reason, let the viewer get a chance to watch them.

Overall, I've liked the Pro League Summer Series for the most part, yea there were a few fumbles along the way but I think we some tweaking it can get a lot better.

• Upvote (+1) 6

But if the manager comes back and says "I'm not replacing your McNuggets without a receipt." the cashier can't really do anything.

True. But has 343 said anything about party restrictions? Genuinely asking because I can't remember.

That is a horrible comparison. 

Ghostayame plays the game every damn day, and he knows the issue... "just do" is figurative. 343 isn't a big enough sector to say that his input and suggestions mean nothing. Stopping solo matching against to4's... when it's the playlist he designs needs to be top priority. It drives people away from the game. 

I'm the perfect example of the player who doesn't want to hop on because I play solo the majority of the time. 

Like I said, "just do" is figurative... 343 as a whole needs to do a better job recognizing the major issues affecting this game and stop focusing time and effort on promoting small things, like horrible maps that we've said no to time and time again. 

I'm not so sure his opinion means a lot to them at the top end. It could or maybe not. If you read the stuff on glassdoors they appear to have suffered from the classic ivory tower problems but I'm not sure if that applies in his case or if its even something that happens now at all.

• Upvote (+1) 1

That is how everything works in life, how do you call going to an University for 6 years to start your career? And your success is never guaranteed.

I'm just saying that the talent that does exist will never be allowed to challenge top tier teams,if they cant get there foot in the door because its slammed shut.

True. But has 343 said anything about party restrictions? Genuinely asking because I can't remember.

lolno

They probably don't see it as a problem

lolno

They probably don't see it as a problem

well fuck

I'm just saying that the talent that does exist will never be allowed to challenge top tier teams,if they cant get there foot in the door because its slammed shut.

The talent always rises, what do you call Frosty ?. there are very few AM players that are better than pro players.
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1