CyReN

HCS Pro League Fall 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Found Cooper's alt. You're welcome, mods. 

WD5PNqg.png

So what if I was? What are they going to do about it?

It's not them that have to worry about stopping me. It's me that has to worry about controlling myself.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

when were you when cooper dies?

i was sat at home look at emma waston gif when saussy ring

'Coop is ban'

'no'

and you???????????

• Upvote (+1) 9

Was bored, so I just spent like 2 hours reading 60+ pages (at max posts per page). Everything I missed over the weekend. Just wanted to respond to this in particular.

My first reaction to this was to call randa petty, but then i thought about it and damn is he right. all of these players should be given an apology for the way this was run. not to take away from nv and liquid who played amazingly so late into the morning, but how much would the results have changed if the event was on a better schedule? for example, did eg throw that last game 5 because they knew that they had to hop a plane and forfeit if they won? what other outcomes would have changed with a better schedule? i know we could probably go in circles with what ifs but asking some of these am teams to grind like they did this weekend had to have taken a massive toll. the same could probably be said for pro teams just stating to play on sunday afternoon. my only hope is that 343 realizes that esl is not the complete answer for halo. we both need and deserver a true TO to run these events and build the community. if that doesnt happen then i cant see much of a long term future for halo. decent game cant survive much longer on these terrible decisions

I would never say EG threw, or wasn't "trying." They would all tell you they were trying. With that said, and without wanting to invalidate Str8's win, I definitely think there was a difference in EG's urgency than if they weren't crunched for time. Whether or not that truly mattered, I don't know.

Was bored, so I just spent like 2 hours reading 60+ pages (at max posts per page). Everything I missed over the weekend. Just wanted to respond to this in particular.

I would never say EG threw, or wasn't "trying." They would all tell you they were trying. With that said, and without wanting to invalidate Str8's win, I definitely think there was a difference in EG's urgency than if they weren't crunched for time. Whether or not that truly mattered, I don't know.

as a competitor i couldn't imagine it not effecting me in a negative way but then again - stellur is emotionless and roy is a cyborg

Right on, and even from there I don't think it's fair to solely look at viewership numbers when comparing between the years. There are a ton of additional variables that we can look at that proves substantial growth when comparing year to year. Who knows what could have happened if all this social media and streaming platforms existed during Halos "Golden Era". Year to year I'd be interested in the percentage of growth, cause I assume that from 05-06 was a huge jump and 06 to 07 was even bigger

Mods: feel free to hide my rant in a spoiler if it's just rambling nonsense, but this has bothered me ever since I stopped following MLG Halo.

MLG did a fantastic job of giving the individual players identities and ways to relate or even idolize players. It seems like with gaming organizations, its sorta drifted over to teams instead of individuals, but I still am fans of players over teams/groups. MLG truly cared about the players and it was very easy to see if you watched the TV shows, or enjoyed reading the many many articles that showcased the talent.

I pointed this out to @Ske7tch on reddit when inquiring about what people like or want to see from the HCS. Halo pros in that era came from all different walks of life and backgrounds. I'd bet money that during that era, people wanted to become the next Walshy, rather than the next "top pro". It was similar to how as a kid I played lots of basketball and I wanted to improve and become the next Michael Jordan. I mean, please, for the love of god if you haven't seen this video, watch it NOW! This was one of the best gaming commercials I have ever seen. 

How awesome was that? Now player identities went beyond that. Whether you were an athlete, or a nerd/geek (aren't we all?) you had someone to relate too. They made these players, both pros and semi-pros out to be human and relatable. Look ath the pro profile videos. Walshy was a skilled tennis player and was running a print shop on the side. Gandhi was made out to just an ordinary high school kid who enjoyed fishing and the outdoors in general (kid plays barefoot on mainstage) Although there were many female gamers throughout the early years of Halo, Xena was a huge inspiration to the majority of them. I mean just look at Strongsides video.. it discusses him being picked up by final boss, and how it felt like a dream and you can see how happy he is throughout that entire video. THAT RIGHT THERE IS WHAT EVERY PLAYER WANTED. Everyone wanted to be in his shoes, playing with Final Boss. Fonzi was a skilled pianist, Shook On3 was trying to start up a rap career, Zyo's was seemingly cold and purely business, T2 I'd argue was the most relatable. Pretty good athlete who struggled in school but had a passion for video games and did everything he could to make his dream come true. I don't even need to bring up Karma's inspirational story..

Now.. what do I know about the current HCS pros? Not much really. I guess if I find out anything about them outside of Halo it's from their streams, but even still it's barely anything. ESL/343 are good at hyping up individual players talents inside the game but if you want me to get attached to this league, I have to have some sort of interest beyond the physical gameplay, which right now isn't much. I am interested but not enough to consistently tune in. However, I haven't missed a single match that @@boamx has played in this season. Why? Well, I know him through his cousin and have played a little, but I got to know him and his history. He had gone through team changes and playing online, but finally got a shot at Chattanooga (thank god for open lans) and broke out there, and beat many good players. He's been on a few different teams, but each time has come out on top. He was eventually on Most Wanted and continued to place well and make a name for himself. He was then eventually dropped, and landed on another good squad and they went to Vegas where they beat his old team, Most Wanted.

This AM player who got his start in Halo as a Halo 3 infection kid, blew through these open LANs and made a name for himself in somewhat of a cinderella story. I know this is an AM player, but they've beaten pro squads, and have had amazing series against other pro squads. They almost reverse swept NV at EsportsArena.. WHY ISN'T THIS AN IMPORTANT STORY? This is the kid that you put the spotlight on and say, "Look at this players journey and his success! This could be you!"

/rant over.

It was pretty cool around the time of worlds and xgames when they made a few vids about particular players but even that was fairly limited overall. 

Pretty much all new players entering the pro league still dont have photos for the team panels that get displayed, let alone some kind of personality/life story for people to relate to.  

I think one of the biggest things that make this particular game and league unappealing is the fact that gone are the days of being a "pro" or "semi pro". Back in H2/H3 the grind was unreal because you knew that going to a tournament meant you could come back with that title, stipends and a slick jersey for the next event.

Sure in the grand scheme of things it really was minuscule, but to the players who wanted to be the best, it meant everything to get points, top 16, etc.

I don't have a burning desire to be a pro player for Halo 5. I don't think a lot of people want to bust their ass just to play 1 series to determine if you're in a league full of 8 teams. That's why these LAN events are so crucial. It was the greatest feeling to be with your team on Friday in registration, knowing you had to go through a gauntlet to get to Champ bracket.

Teams would stick together throughout the entire season just to get enough points to bump them into the top 16. Pro player meetings were like the cool kids club. All the amateurs would just watch and say "Maybe one day." 

I don't know what I'm trying to get at. But maybe I'm not the only one who feels this way. When I got on Halo everyday after school or work, I was dreaming of being on mainstage at MLG with Faruq announcing my name and Julia giving me the interview after we won. I look at these past events and it's just not appealing to me. I don't have that same attitude to grind and be the next... Pro League player? 

Just showing that crowd for the Pro Circuit would be enough for me to say "Okay, I'm coming back." I never get the same vibe for events now. Maybe I'm just old. 

I think this is a fundamental issue with pro leagues in general.  They severely limit the number of teams that can be considered pro in the first place.  Look at the teams playing in the regionals and worlds of H5, fast forward to pro league and some of those players/teams are now considered AMs? Because they arent in an 8 player pro league?  

I think that can be part of the issue, the grind to get into pro league is so impossibly long compared to a group of open events that you can enter and potentially get high placings in.  Even if you get into pro league, you arent even guaranteed to get into the end of league LAN anyway.

if there isn't any rostermania yet, can we start speculating? do people think that nV make a change if they finish less than first at season finals? 

I hope not, they clearly have a good chance, just keep on grinding.  It would be awesome to see both these teams go into worlds.

Lunch, though, is a lust filled fiend.

0kfTMYR.gif

This was probably my highlight of the tournament lol

Found Cooper's alt. You're welcome, mods. 

WD5PNqg.png

I actually have seen Coop and Arg in the same room sooooo

Checkmate atheist

Halo 5 has gotten so bad since Cooper was banned. Take PlasmaCastr and RandomAccount and bring him back. 

But if we ban PlasmaCastrPapi, Cratos will just make a new alt to shitpost what he doesn't have the integrity to post on his own account.

if there isn't any rostermania yet, can we start speculating? do people think that nV make a change if they finish less than first at season finals?

Speculating is what these forums are for.

Who I want to replace ninja:

Bubu

Naded

Victory

Ryanoob

Will nv breakup? No. If they get embarrassed by optic there might be some doubts, but I don't see then breaking up unless they get 4th. Secretly I wish this happens, then huke and contra reconcile and they give the old denial another go at it

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 3

Speculating is what these forums are for.

Who I want to replace ninja:

Bubu

Naded

Victory

Ryanoob

Will nv breakup? No. If they get embarrassed by optic there might be some doubts, but I don't see then breaking up unless they get 4th. Secretly I wish this happens, then huke and contra reconcile and they give the old denial another go at it

It will be interesting to see what happens to the members of E6 if they get relegated. 

I think people are seriously overestimating Contra and Devons ability to be on a cohesive team for an extended period of time, no matter who the other 2 are.

• Upvote (+1) 5

It will be interesting to see what happens to the members of E6 if they get relegated. 

Bubu and suspector go to pro teams 100%

Shooter might but its no guarantee

Cratos hops on a top AM team (MW most likely)

I'd like to see 

Bubu Stellur Contra Devon

If that team could gel, they would be awesome.

Bubu and suspector go to pro teams 100%

Shooter might but its no guarantee

Cratos hops on a top AM team (MW most likely)

I would have to agree for the most part but i would hope shooter gets a solid team as i see him as a 'glue' type player with loads of potential to benefit the right team.

Re-watched the FABE vs Liquid and FABE vs STR8 series's for the fourth time now. I find it very difficult to pinpoint exactly what makes NA Halo players and teams so much better than their EU counterparts. The two factors that I feel separates the two the most is experience and drive.

European Halo players seem far less determined to become the best. I can understand why (to an extent anyway), because there is less prize money, fewer events, and less viewership over this side of the pond, but it still confuses me massively as to why NA Halo is so far ahead. The only European players that I think could make a NA pro team would be: Respectful, Jimbo, and Kimbo (and Kimbo is potentially moving to Call of Duty after the EU finals anyway). 

Maybe it could also be due to the fact that Americans have a larger player pool, which in turn would naturally lead to a more competitive scene...

Anyone got any thoughts on this? 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Re-watched the FABE vs Liquid and FABE vs STR8 series's for the fourth time now. I find it very difficult to pinpoint exactly what makes NA Halo players and teams so much better than their EU counterparts. The two factors that I feel separates the two the most is experience and drive.

European Halo players seem far less determined to become the best. I can understand why (to an extent anyway), because there is less prize money, fewer events, and less viewership over this side of the pond, but it still confuses me massively as to why NA Halo is so far ahead. The only European players that I think could make a NA pro team would be: Respectful, Jimbo, and Kimbo (and Kimbo is potentially moving to Call of Duty after the EU finals anyway). 

Maybe it could also be due to the fact that Americans have a larger player pool, which in turn would naturally lead to a more competitive scene...

Because it is near impossible for EU players to face NA players on an even playing field due to connection, time zones, etc and therefore the only players they match in an actual competitive environment is other EU players.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Sadly, if Allegiance were to be relegated by an amateur team, I couldn't see anyone on that roster being picked up in exchange for someone else in the pro league.  I think most of the team changes will stem from the E6 roster, which I can't see sticking together even if they don't get relegated.

I think the most obvious team to make roster changes will be Luminosity and possibly EG.  Hoping that regardless of the results at Burbank that Str8 Rippin sticks together during the off season.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Because it is near impossible for EU players to face NA players on an even playing field due to connection, time zones, etc and therefore the only players they match in an actual competitive environment is other EU players.

This still doesn't explain the skill gap though - in theory our players would be just as good as NA players regardless of playing only in their own 'pool' of competition, so when NA and EU teams match up there should be a good chance of either side taking the victory. But that's hardly ever been the case, the closest really being Epsilon at Worlds, as NA teams just seem so far ahead that they stomp even our best. There must be additional factors.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

This i agree is a huge factor as well as some of those listed above, especially the much larger player pool and greater number of events.

I agree the Fabe v liquid game was brutal (although the slayer game was pretty close) but i dont think there is an EU team that comes close to Liquids play style let alone proficiency which is what made the objective games so one sided i think.  

As for the Str8 series, i really didnt think that was a dominant win by Str8.  Sure they were undoubtedly the better team overall but none of the games were a complete whitewash and fabe won the slayer game in a dominant fashion.  This shows that they can 'hang' with Top NA teams similar to what we saw at worlds but without regular practice against these NA squads there will always be a skill gap between the top of both scenes. 

I dont think determination is the issue, as the saying goes ' you have to play the best to be the best' and EU teams dont have that option 99% of the time.  The one time recently that they scrimmed an NA team (Pnda gaming) they didnt lose a game (although it was EU servers from what i could gather).

I have to give serious props to Fabe for going out there, it was awesome to see those games and i hope they do it again other than worlds.

• Upvote (+1) 3

This still doesn't explain the skill gap though - in theory our players would be just as good as NA players regardless of playing only in their own 'pool' of competition, so when NA and EU teams match up there should be a good chance of either side taking the victory. But that's hardly ever been the case, the closest really being Epsilon at Worlds, as NA teams just seem so far ahead that they stomp even our best. There must be additional factors.

Is EU only ever matching EU not a major factor in your opinion? 

When I'm constantly matching Bronze players in Arena, I'm never going to be prepared when the Champions walk in because I've only ever had experience with Silver players. 

I'm sure there are other factors but I think the most important is lack of practise in a fair environment between a full EU team and a full NA team. 

• Upvote (+1) 5