CyReN

HCS Pro League Fall 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

@@CyReN @@Saucey right now. 

wolf-of-wall-street-money-gif.gif

While it's amazing to have new Premium members every day, running this site comes with big expenses from security to maintenance and upgrades. We are lucky to have so many awesome community members that want to help the site from being Premium members to simply turning off adblock when visiting the site.

With that said, we are happy with the new signs up for our new Premium Tournament. We are looking to continue them into the Fall and possibly expand them :prayers:

• Upvote (+1) 3

I would like to see 10 teams in the league, but have an automatic relegation places and play off places.

Just so you get fresh teams every season.

• Downvote (-1) 1

We had 8 teams last season and 2 of the teams couldn't come close to keeping up with the other 6.

There's really no argument for having more than 8 teams at this point in time.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Even though I don't think 10 teams is totally reasonable in halo right now, I dislike how dramatic people act about the "lower" teams. Liquid got 7th and literally almost beat everyone. Optic beat a ALG team that ended up 3-0ing e6, took a game from us etc etc(yes I am aware they weren't that good last season), but saying things like they couldn't come close to the other 6 teams is so over dramatic to what the situation actually was. 

nah dude theres "literally" no argument for it

/s

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 9

Only a few delusional people in TB think Halo is profitable for the orgs.

343 paid for travel to lans last season. Orgs got off real easy

Even though I don't think 10 teams is totally reasonable in halo right now, I dislike how dramatic people act about the "lower" teams. Liquid got 7th and literally almost beat everyone. Optic beat a ALG team that ended up 3-0ing e6, took a game from us etc etc(yes I am aware they weren't that good last season), but saying things like they couldn't come close to the other 6 teams is so over dramatic to what the situation actually was.

Do you think season 2 of h2a was the ideal format over pro league? 3 open lans and weekly online cups?

From my perspective the difference between 1st and 8th is less important that the difference beteeen 8th and the AMs. Someone said it a few pages back, but until someone actually gets relegated, there is zero argument for more teams in pro league IMO.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I just do not like online halo in general. Even with the cups I just think having so much focus on online halo is silly. With that said I understand what they are trying to do in building an actual structure with the pro league. I'm glad we have some LAN events between everything as well. I just think for s2 finals we should see relegation on Friday and whatever 2 teams win between the 4 should compete with the other 6 at finals. Pro league should be used for seeds not to determine who should be allowed to compete at a "finals tourney" 

Holy shit, I've been saying this months

Dadbite for Halo president

• Upvote (+1) 8

Ace is streaming right now and is giving great advice for anyone aspiring to get better. Just an FYI.

That may be true, but at the end of the day, the 5th and 6th place teams (EG & ALG), won 43% of their matches and had 6-8 records.  Liquid and Optic won 14% of their matches and had 2-12 records.  That's a pretty big discrepancy that you can't really ignore.

But the point of me bringing it up was to compare it to the AM team/pro league expansion argument.  During the relegation matches at the finals LAN, the top AM teams couldn't beat two pro teams that only won 14% of their pro matches, yet there are people complaining that we need more teams allowed into the pro league.  It just doesn't make sense.  

Someone mentioned it earlier, but until teams consistently start getting relegated, then the league may need to expand to more pro teams.

I just do not like online halo in general. Even with the cups I just think having so much focus on online halo is silly. With that said I understand what they are trying to do in building an actual structure with the pro league. I'm glad we have some LAN events between everything as well. I just think for s2 finals we should see relegation on Friday and whatever 2 teams win between the 4 should compete with the other 6 at finals. Pro league should be used for seeds not to determine who should be allowed to compete at a "finals tourney" 

DadBite always says the right things. Makes me feel all fuzzy inside.

I was pretty hyped for the idea of a Pro League when they announced it after worlds. More Halo, right? Don't have to wait every few weekends to watch an online cup or ideally a LAN. Plus, other games have Pro Leagues or Splits -- if Halo is trying to grow again, makes sense to follow in their footsteps. 

And personally I'm still fine with the idea of a Pro League, I just think that a) there are problems with execution (production, spectator mode), and b) even a perfectly-run Pro League shouldn't outright replace things like LANs, which they seemingly have (although less so this coming season). 

In hindsight it does look like the Pro League killed a lot of the hype for comp. Halo that HWC created. The natural step after HWC would have been to build the grassroots, and unfortunately that wasn't done well at all. Although I think that's on us as a community as well -- I remember the prevailing opinion being "hey, viewership is growing again, let's let 343i and ESL do their thing because it seems to be working". 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Saw some convos on the Wednesday/Thursday pro league days and then discussions on growth. The two do actually collide and go hand in hand so thought id share some info. Wednesday is the busiest day on social media (Facebook and Twitter) next to Saturday on a GLOBAL scale. We will be taking full advantage of this and ate going to be going extra mile to spread the word during, before and after each day. I myself learnt a lot about social and how we can utilise this better for Fall season and beyond!

Facebook is still by far the biggest social media tool on the planet and one the main reasons I want to push pro players into making a page (green bar users go make one NOW!). Currently also looking at potentially (not confirming in anyway) streaming again to Halo on Facebook live as the page has with 3.54 Million followers and Facebook is proving/proved to be an INSANLY good and fruitful tool (even looking at how I send my personal stream to my FB page while I'm live on twitch).

We of course would share that on eslHalo with the 15.5K but it would only take some one like beyond as an example to share the stream and that's another 17K potential reach.

Rest assured ESL main Twitter and Facebook will also be utilised both in the NA and EU a lot more (1.2 Mill and 670K respectively) I'm not confirming this was the reason btw that the days where changed, just shedding some light on how Wednesday is a beast mode day socially and how stupidly untapped Facebook is, we plan to take FULL advantage of social and grow the pro league both as a unit and the viewership too! :)

Sounds great is there any chance of getting the official Halo twitter to tweet out Pro League streams since it has way more then the HCS twitter.

• Upvote (+1) 1

That may be true, but at the end of the day, the 5th and 6th place teams (EG & ALG), won 43% of their matches and had 6-8 records. Liquid and Optic won 14% of their matches and had 2-12 records. That's a pretty big discrepancy that you can't really ignore.

But the point of me bringing it up was to compare it to the AM team/pro league expansion argument. During the relegation matches at the finals LAN, the top AM teams couldn't beat two pro teams that only won 14% of their pro matches, yet there are people complaining that we need more teams allowed into the pro league. It just doesn't make sense.

Someone mentioned it earlier, but until teams consistently start getting relegated, then the league may need to expand to more pro teams.

You make too much sense, remember that in this forum a 11-3 scrim is close.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Complacency is the death of progress. It's great how far we've come, but we have to keep questioning and improving on what we have.

This for sure.

I've really enjoyed having matches that mattter to watch every week. I also think pro league has done good things in terms of eliminating the dead time and constant team changes between events. That said, LAN events are the absolute best thing to watch. I'm hoping that we continue to have pro league (with improvements to spectator mode, casting, and probably others I haven't thought of), as well as an increase in LANs.

• Upvote (+1) 1

This for sure.

I've really enjoyed having matches that mattter to watch every week. I also think pro league has done good things in terms of eliminating the dead time and constant team changes between events. That said, LAN events are the absolute best thing to watch. I'm hoping that we continue to have pro league (with improvements to spectator mode, casting, and probably others I haven't thought of), as well as an increase in LANs.

I enjoy scrims more than pro league matches, in scrims i see accurate crosshairs and listen to communication. And don't have 10 minutes downtime between matches.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

I really wish you were in charge of things lol. You somehow manage to always find the middle ground on everything that would push us towards actual improvements rather than getting dramatic or exaggerating something.

I enjoy scrims more than pro league matches, in scrims i see accurate crosshairs and listen to communication. And don't have 10 minutes downtime between matches.

These are issues that can be fixed though. We've only had one season, I'd like to give it a chance for improvement.

When I first heard the plan to switch to a pro league I assumed that all of the pros would move to Burbank and they would play on LAN in studio, like they do for everything in Seoul.

After a season with spectator mode and disconnects I wish they had gone that direction.

Adding more teams would be there to make it more intresting at the bottom of the pro league.

Look at the English premier league for example.

It's entertaining to see hows going to win, and who is going to stay up.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1