CyReN

HCS Pro League Fall 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Pro League format

Undeniably, there are people who dislike the Pro League format. What is also true, is that the viewership for the regular season of Pro League has grown from Summer to Fall by 25%-55% depending on the metric you look at. Hopefully, we can keep making the right adjustments to Pro League that’ll keep increasing your interest and desire to watch it.

Growing? How so? H2A pulled more viewers than any H5 tourney/Pro league match yet, except worlds. 25-55%? Not much considering how we get an average of 1500-2000 viewers. Many changes needed to be put in place and that never happened. 

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 2

100% right on this. If i was a casual Cory who has never stepped foot in an HCS stream, i wouldn't have any idea what was going on.It really is sad to see where Halo has been going over the past few years. Think about it this way, its pretty lazy when you've been using the same overlay since H2A. Haven't even bothered to change it, just copy and paste. Shows how "passionate" people really are. Passion definitely goes a long way. 

MCC vs H5 Overlay

Overlay_H5.jpg

Overlay_MCC.jpg

Not much considering how we get an average of 1500-2000 viewers.

Not sure where you are getting that number from. Pro League average and peak viewership is much higher than that.

Didn't MLG grow Halo from Halo 1 all the way to Halo Reach as one TO?

Yes, they did. The landscape has changed dramatically since then though. 

How many esports can you name today that are solely built on the back of a single TO?

I just laugh when I read this now

Didn't know ESL put you forward as talent for HCS but I am glad they did. You've done a great job Kyle aka ElamiteWarrior since X Games. You, T2, StrongSide and hopefully more Walshy are good for Halo and will only continue getting better.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Let's be honest Zeke, they didn't conveniently have 5 bottles left for every member of NV. I don't think this is a conspiracy against our team or anything like that at all I just think Snipedown knew who to ask to get water. Either way it's a terrible miscommunication since the ref that's been on main stage the whole day should know this kind of information :/

Did they not tell you who to ask in the secret meeting?

• Upvote (+1) 6

How many esports can you name today that are solely built on the back of a single TO?

League of Legends.

• Upvote (+1) 9
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Also, having only one tournament organizer isn't necessarily healthy either. When MLG dropped Halo even after a terrific Columbus event, it took us a long time to get to a place that was respectable.
  • Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I don't want MLG to be the only TO I just want them to help us build a ground and then others will come if we find some success. I really believe that ESL and MLG can live and help eachother for the sake of Halo.

• Upvote (+1) 4

League of Legends.

The obvious exception, but Riot is not just a TO, but also the developer and publisher of the game. 

Timo, I still believe my 1/2 get byes 7/8 start in losers bracket is the best idea for expanding pro league. Also top4 only gets travel and hotel paid for.

I just laugh when I read this now

Can you and t2 make a prediction vid for finals? Also speculate on roster changes you'd like to see?
  • Upvote (+1) 7
  • Downvote (-1) 1

The obvious exception, but Riot is not just a TO, but also the developer and publisher of the game. 

It does help when the studio that makes the game is competent, that's for sure.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

It does help when the studio that makes the game is competent, that's for sure.

Depends on what you mean by competent, Riot is hilariously awful in some respects 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Everytime someone tries to compare Halo to LoL I just laugh.. how dense do you have to be.

League has one of the biggest if not the biggest playerbase in the world right now, is f2p, makes millions on skins, is popular in asia, was the first of the modern mobas and the game only exists as a competitive multiplayer there is no fanbase split.

Halo will never be as big as League is or could afford what they do, there will never be as many viewers for it as in League's peak times, people need to accept that.

Halo does surprisingly well for a 15 year old fps franchise that only exists on one console(even the less popular console) is in many circles only known for its campaign and had games that totally drifted away from the core gameplay.

I love Halo and I see what is wrong with Halo 5 and how 343 runs things, but please don't try to reason that because of their (awful) handling Halo isn't as popular as Multiplatform games or the PC giants.

I just wish Microsoft would have realized earlier how to make Halo bigger in the Esports scene globally. :(

And yeah.. I'm prepared for the negs

Edit: oh yeah we better get HWC17, Proleague details and open lan details way sooner than the last times..

• Upvote (+1) 6

Hi everyone,

I wanted to speak to a few points that were thrown out there regarding ESL and HCS over the last couple of days both on here and over on Reddit.

“These TOs only do this to grown their own business”

There is indeed a business side to esports. TOs are businesses that need to make money to exist, which I am sure everyone can appreciate. Without (financially) healthy TOs there is no esports. If there is nobody to organize the tournaments and run the broadcasts, there are no tournaments and there are no broadcasts.

Making business decisions sometimes means compromise. But I assure you that we are working towards the same goal as the community: growing Halo esports. In fact, everyone I’ve met working on Halo esports has been incredibly passionate and putting so much into it. Like text messages or calls in the middle of the night, because of an idea or an issue.   

ESL has exclusivity for “Competitive Halo 5”

As you can see from the different tournaments that are happening and that are operated by different TOs, this is not true. Limiting the Halo scene to a single TO would not be good for the growth of our scene and hence would not be in our interest either.

“Get rid of everyone, but a single TO”

I believe that just from a financial perspective alone, no single TO would be able to support and grow the entire Halo esports eco-system by themselves. More TOs mean more potential tournaments which means more opportunities to watch/compete which means more money and opportunities for players - growth of the scene as a whole.

“ESL tells other TOs how to run their events”

Short of sending Kyle (Elamite) as talent, ESL had no hand in how the other events were run. We don’t tell anybody when to start, how to operate the tournament, etc.

Pro League format

Undeniably, there are people who dislike the Pro League format. What is also true, is that the viewership for the regular season of Pro League has grown from Summer to Fall by 25%-55% depending on the metric you look at. Hopefully, we can keep making the right adjustments to Pro League that’ll keep increasing your interest and desire to watch it.

Expand HCS Finals to more teams

I’ve seen a lot of constructive comments on this topic and there are some great ideas out there. Fall Season Finals will see the same format as Summer Finals. Unfortunately, we were not able to expand the finals this time around, but what happens in 2016, doesn’t have to be that way in 2017.

Halo esports 2017

Yes, you will know much more about what is to come for Halo esports in 2017 before HCS Fall Finals are over!

As a last note: although you may not see me or the team responding and interacting with you guys here daily, you can be sure that our team at ESL are reading your feedback on a daily basis.

Thank you for the continued support and here's to an awesome EU and NA Fall Finals!!

Same old shit.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 4

People are sick of 343i. lashing out at everything and everybody is just what happens. I was finally able to walk away from the scene somewhere between MCC and H5. You gotta understand that what happened to us as a community is like having a loving mother raise you up and love you your whole life, and then right as you start to realize how great you have it she drowns you in the bathtub. It honestly feels like our kid was taken from us. For no reason. The tournament failed because it was west coast. It's that simple. If you ever want a tournament to succeed throw it in Columbus with plenty of time to prepare. Quinn is a cancer to this community and the game we've all loved. If we can get rid of him and anybody like him at 343i, we'll be one step closer to saving the chief and everything we hold dear.

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 1

https://twitter.com/Elamite/status/801334303066046464

Elamite making a play for T2's savage crown.

He continues on with a conversation with Spartan about how we (the community, the pros) need to be more constructive.

For the most part I agree that we shouldn't bite the hand that feeds. And that there are other (I guess better?) avenues to voice our complaints, but this isn't about the event. Like yes, the event wasn't thought out but it's more about a level of respect.

As in it's hard to take the higher road when you don't feel respected. And the disrespect isn't just from this tourney – it's the game settings, game types, maps, etc. This feeling has been building up and it makes sense that after such a poorly run tourney that it'd spew out.

It's just so convenient to look pass why we're upset and just solely focus on us being upset.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Good, call me out on it. I'm at an all-time low for satisfaction with Halo right now so maybe I'm being a tad too cynical, but all I'm asking is that the community demand the absolute best in every aspect of Halo—gameplay, esports, and more.

There is also a huge difference between having a passion for Halo (either residually from the past, or the franchise as a whole) and having a passion for Halo 5.

When I was told I was going to commentate the No Radar invitational, I prepared myself and @@Clicked a giant 1,000+ word analysis about maps/players/etc. just to make sure we had a great bank of knowledge to talk about and commentate on, because I wanted the show to be enjoyable and insightful.

We literally screamed to the heavens to have Tsquared replace Strongside, and it worked. I think when our community demands the best, we can get it, and so all I wanted people to ask themselves was whether or not what we have right now is the best for Halo esports commentary.

And yet neither of you performed perfectly.  Neither of you were close to the quality we usually get from LoL, DoTA, CSGO, etc.

Now obviously I'm not saying you guys weren't great, I was definitely happy with your casting and the invitational as a whole. In fact both you and clicked are insanely under-appreciated for the effort and attention to detail both of you put in and I'm sure the rest of TB would agree with me.

My point is you don't have the insight or authority to say our commentators don't try their absolute best to improve and perform. You have absolutely no right to question their passion, especially when comp Halo is at one of it's lowest points since H4 and everybody on the forum is jaded with 343. People finally feel the same way about Halo 5 as I did 12 months ago and as vindicating as it is, it just goes to show how bad a lot of people feel about the game. The pro players feel bad, the fans feel bad, and even the Pro-Team have expressed disdain.

They do a great job given the circumstances, and compared to the other issues we're facing, aren't worth posting about.

I think that this shows that commentating is subjective. I don't watch other esports as much as I do Halo, but american football is definitely more conversational like halo seems to be and any immediate play break down is "wow look bob he ran through the hole. did you know growing up player  did gymnastics?" or something like " "now great play he through the ball to the open field and let his reciever get it." its simplistic because full breakdown of the game would take longer than the game itself, yet the guys and gals covering those games do insane prep for those couple of ours and have a great passion for the game. even watch LoL worlds had more hype play by play that breakdowns in the matches i watched. they did have an advantage of a longer, slower game to be able to do in game replays and breakdowns for when those were done.

walsh, t2, or elam can't break down every strat indepth because it would miss the basic play by play. a full analysis would need either another desk for post match/series coverage or a separate content outlet all together. add  in casting rotation and vetos, and tournament mismanagement (the team roster was incomplete/incorrect heading into vegas) and you can start to see why cracks will appear. I too would love to see a fuller breakdown of games but that would require a better theater mode (an overhead view of the map would be amazing plus a better clip recall system that fast forwarding) and a dedicated staff. I bet that if any of our current caster had that duty and some better tools, you'd be amazed by how knowledgeable they are. i see why you want this type of smarter coverage, but i think for halo its better suited to between series vs in the match.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Oh kinda like 343 Industries, or Blizzard with Overwatch.

So you guys are going with a single TO then?

• Upvote (+1) 6