CyReN

HCS Pro League Fall 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Everyone loves to complain but at least they are trying to throw a open tournament for a dead game.

I think everyone is super appreciative of having open tournaments, but they're sick of seeing the same amateur level mistakes in running the tournaments. Don't get me wrong, I don't think this game is going anywhere really, but killing off the community that does still support it is unacceptable.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Damn... i wake up to see this posts and think " I thought we were past this point already" , I was wrong.

sad.

If you think that hour late start is the sole reason they couldn't get through two brackets then idunno, just not how it works.

No im not talking about that 1 hour. Im saying it shouldve started at 8 vs 11. That plus the hour delay wouldve given an extra 4 hours. Add concurrent streams to allow more viewable matches and hopefully we're ending on time or just an hour late

Yeah but in H2A everyone was pissed at UGC because they did a FFA on Friday and the whole tournament was going super late the rest of the weekend, we finished the finals at 1 am.

I get FFA is good to get known, it's how I got known, but it seriously sets back the whole tournament to run it. Especially when this FFA you have to play 2 maps (24 mins)

They really need to start the tournament play on Friday's, and lets be honest most people care more about watching the 4v4s than the FFA anyway. (Also please just have 1 match FFA rounds @343)

• Upvote (+1) 2

They really need to start the tournament play on Friday's, and lets be honest most people care more about watching the 4v4s than the FFA anyway. (Also please just have 1 match FFA rounds @343)

2 round FFA is pretty brutal. The tournament winning call says it all "and Snipedown is probably your FFA champion" or something like that. 

Besides the fact that it doubles the amount of time required to run at the very least. 

Yeah but in H2A everyone was pissed at UGC because they did a FFA on Friday and the whole tournament was going super late the rest of the weekend, we finished the finals at 1 am.

I get FFA is good to get known, it's how I got known, but it seriously sets back the whole tournament to run it. Especially when this FFA you have to play 2 maps (24 mins)

Last time FFA was good was halo 2 midship imo. No need for multiple rounds. Get rid of map pickups, play one 15 minute game on truth. Top half move on. No need for multiple rounds. Would cut required time by more than half.

I know its moot at this point since whats done is done, but its certainly frustrating for everybody involved to be continually scratching their heads at the structural decisions being made.

Its easy to be a monday morning quarterback, but we have history of setups that have worked well in the past so stop trying to reinvent the wheel 343.

• Upvote (+1) 3

id love to see jimbo wreck everyone @@Moa

I just want to see an EU team do well. It has been so long since worlds, it would freshen things up a bit.

• Upvote (+1) 3

If it's true some of the stations weren't on closed servers / dev builds...

Why were there only 10 stations?

If some of the stations aren't on closed servers why are we using closed servers at all??

Some teams getting to play their games on dev builds and others playing on what would be XBL isn't exactly fair. I know the difference might be negligible but at least Direct LAN was a level playing field across all games from the mainstage to the furthest station in the back corner of the building.

• Upvote (+1) 3

If that weirdo on r/halo could stop making demands on behalf of the competitive community that would be just great

Ragging on Esports arena really ain't cool, huge amount of passion for a small squad that did their best to fix problems for day 2. Love those guys, and MLG ain't the only fish in the sea worth catching.
  • Upvote (+1) 3

If that weirdo on r/halo could stop making demands on behalf of the competitive community that would be just great

https://np.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/5dxqn9/huge_controversy_at_hcs_las_vegas_players_still/

• Let MLG run pro open events in NA.
  • Let MLG run worlds. They ran the CSGO Major at an arena, the big Halo event of the year needs as big a stage.
  • Much higher prize pools at LANs. These Pros have a tough schedule as it is, these LANs dont offer enough to be incentive.
  • Let MLG run EU events. The UK and Europe have never had a big open LAN from a big tournament orgaiser. That needs to change.
  • PGL, esportsArena , UGC and ESL to respectfully leave the scene, their poor events are killing any momentum we gain.
  • Let Team Beyond run challenger and the online pro league. Their events are hugely popular and ran well.
  • All events ONLY be streamed from the Halo channel, not from other companies streams for them to profit.

For anyone curious.

I personally disagree with a few things on there and I'm sure many here would too. It's a shame that this has reached the top of reddit and it's basically one guys thoughts on one poor event being presented as the communities voice.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I left the stream on my TV yesterday to contribute to viewership but I only watched a handful of the games. By 12pm EST I went to bed.

I said it yesterday, I could tell this event was going to turn out bad. The writing was on the wall early. I got to watch 6 games (2 matches) which were all quick 3-0's in 2hr 30min from the official start time of the tournament. That is horrible. That was foreshadowing for how this event was going to go. I just knew this was going to happen. PGL has to take some blame for this, sorry.

343 needs to take blame for their broken dev kits/closed servers, but more importantly the model of requiring a 343 supplied server to run a real LAN. Closed LAN servers that you have to get from 343 are a really problem. I don't mind the idea of a "dedicated LAN server" but not how they do it. I'd love to see a company build the functionality into the game itself (LAN option) and release the server side code and some recommended specs for the server. Let anyone who wants to set it up do so. Make it part of the actual game as a FEATURE instead of a barrier. Not the best comparison, but look at Minecraft and how they let users set up servers. PC games have done this for a long time. Also, don't just abandon it once released, make sure it is part of the overall game and development cycle so that improvements, bug fixes, features, etc are aligned with the overall game.

UGC was smart. They realized that trying to get closed servers from 343 would just cause more problems. Limits the # of stations, problems with poor quality dev kits and broken code. Instead just pay for a high quality business grade (ie low latency SLA backed) fiber connection to the network and run on real boxes. Allows them to scale easier then being reliant on 343.

https://np.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/5dxqn9/huge_controversy_at_hcs_las_vegas_players_still/

For anyone curious.

I personally disagree with a few things on there and I'm sure many here would too. It's a shame that this has reached the top of reddit and it's basically one guys thoughts on one poor event being presented as the communities voice.

Cooper replied to that thread.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Cooper replied to that thread.

Shit, let me remove the link.

:kappa:

• Upvote (+1) 1

At least something about competitive Halo will get read by 343 though :mj:

-----------------

Sucks to see all these kind of issues popping up a year after release, at a certain point I don't think it's on the companies running the events (ESA / Millennial). They have to deal with a half-baked game by 343i. I hate to say this, but a lot of these decisions come from the top (devs and HCS staff) and I really hope they are evaluated later on for t he sake of the franchise. If the right people aren't in place, find the ones that can do the job then. This has been going on for way too long now. I don't care about event selfies and mediocre coverage if the event itself is running what's left of the competitive community into the ground. The only person I have faith in at this point is Lenox running the stream.

I just want to like Halo eSports again.

• Upvote (+1) 3

If it's true some of the stations weren't on closed servers / dev builds...

Why were there only 10 stations?

If that is true then 100% makes no sense and that is on PGL.

At least something about competitive Halo will get read by 343 though :mj:

-----------------

Sucks to see all these kind of issues popping up a year after release, at a certain point I don't think it's on the companies running the events (ESA / Millennial). They have to deal with  a half-baked game by 343i. I hate to say this, but a lot of these decisions come from the top (devs and HCS staff) and I really hope they are evaluated later on for t he sake of the franchise. If the right people aren't in place, find the ones that can do the job then. This has been going on for way too long now. I don't care about event selfies and mediocre coverage if the event itself is running what's left of the competitive community into the ground. The only person I have faith in at this point is Lenox running the stream.

I just want to like Halo eSports again.

Ray, it's almost time for the Christmas Forge videos again  :D  :D  :D  :D

• Upvote (+1) 1

Believe it or not we had 2200-2300 all night until they signed off

Yeah it stayed steady which was cool but it peaked at only like ~3500 that I saw. I was hoping it would get more attention. Hopefully today will.