CyReN

HCS Pro League Fall 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

This is what happens when the person responsible for the welfare of competitive halo secretly cares more about some dorky card game

Can't wait for next season

• Upvote (+1) 10
  • Downvote (-1) 1

It's the dev kit

Shouldn't matter what the reason, a year into the game's release there should be stable servers and if it IS the dev kits don't have a game that's reliant on them to run a LAN, duh 343

• Upvote (+1) 1

-snip-

If these same issues happens tomorrow (in 8 hours lol) this could look like one of the worse ran event for Halo 5.

• Upvote (+1) 1

worked for mlg with 5x the amount of people

They didn't have to deal with dev boxes crashing, and even then, there were quite a few mlgs that went very late on Saturdays too
  • Upvote (+1) 1

I'm not optimistic at all about the rest of the event 8 hours from now. Their supposedly finishing the open bracket finals by starting at 10am, and this will likely push the championship finals start time back. Factor in technical difficulties and possible lagouts and I don't think it's likely to finish before 1am PST.

16 hours+ for an event is ridiculous. I don't know why 343 didn't decide to partner with mlg post worlds and have esl for pro league. To think that it would have likely taken 18+ hours to finish is awful. I hope the players, crew, casters can reset and have a smoother experience later today. 

Holy shit  :apg: I miss MLG open events.

• Upvote (+1) 2

They didn't have to deal with dev boxes crashing, and even then, there were quite a few mlgs that went very late on Saturdays too

yeah they definitely could have left more time considering the track record of issues but having the ffa on friday isn't the main issue. that format is all outta wack

Seems like people were initially pleased at how this tourney was being run, then it went to sit towards the end.

I think the late morning start time + the long delay before the first match + h5's instability played a major factor.

Besides starting on time, what should they have done? How'd mlg pull these things off? More side stations?

Its really hard to blame PGL when they have to deal with that shitty setup. I don't think MLG would magically avoid all the problems. Also I think players should stop bashing PGL, think a little bit, go to the roots of the problem and forward your complains to the right direction.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Anyone looking at the schedule and start time shouldve been prepared for this mess. Just saying.

Emailed us saying doors open at 9 and things start at 10 PST

Its really hard to blame PGL when they have to deal with that shitty setup. I don't think MLG would magically avoid all the problems. Also I think players should stop bashing PGL, think a little bit, go to the roots of the problem and forward your complains to the right direction.

Thats exactly why MLG shouldve been involved. Its like trying to get your taxes done for the first time as an adult and instead of going to H&R Block or some other professional service, you just went and found some bum off craigslist to do it. You have to understand, MLG wouldve structured the tournament better and most certainly wouldve requested the appropriate amount of dev kits to make sure people werent playing at 2 am. 

Anyone involved in organizing this event should feel bad. Theres people who sacrificed so much time over the past few months trying to get into the pro league and its obvious whoever organized this specific event didnt value those sacrifices. The incompetence from the event coordinators at all the H5 LAN events is embarrassing and shouldve been fixed after HWC in February.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Thats exactly why MLG shouldve been involved. Its like trying to get your taxes done for the first time as an adult and instead of going to H&R Block or some other professional service, you just went and found some bum off craigslist to do it. You have to understand, MLG wouldve structured the tournament better and most certainly wouldve requested the appropriate amount of dev kits to make sure people werent playing at 2 am. 

Anyone involved in organizing this event should feel bad. Theres people who sacrificed so much time over the past few months trying to get into the pro league and its obvious whoever organized this specific event didnt value those sacrifices. The incompetence from the event coordinators at all the H5 LAN events is embarrassing and shouldve been fixed after HWC in February.

I totally agree, what I am saying is that even MLG would have to deal with shitty lan support, disconnects etc. and everybody should forward their complains to 343 so next time they don't fuck up with fundamental parts of their franchise. I hope they learned  by now, if not god help us. Can u imagine how much better would have HCS been since H2A with proper LAN ?.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Regardless of details, I've watched good LANs in h5 (even if sparingly) so it can be done. This one was an absolute shambles and who even knows what's going to happen today?

I feel for any organisation at the moment that has to host Halo 5 LANs at the moment, mostly because I feel they're not exactly much at fault. There's only so much that groups like PGL would be able to do with their budgeting and personally I reckon they're trying their best, however its just not going their way.

The real people we should be blaming for the organisation of this is big daddy 343i, who should be supporting their events and their competitive community. Every other development company for their games big up LAN supported events, especially Activision in recent years for CoD, so I don't see why the fuck they arent bothering. Yeah HWC was a blast, but one event a year is a joke to think they truly support.

Give UGC more events I say, they dealt with the situation brilliantly and probably hosted one of the best events for Halo ive seen, and to think we are saying that for a Halo 5 event speaks volumes.

343i has a lot to answer for, and to all the pros and amateurs who put endless amounts of time into this game for minimalistic rewards, I hope they know that the community is behind them.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Holy shit. I didn't watch anything last night but it went literally through the night? Wtf was happening at the event to have it move so slowly?

I remember the latest I was ever at a MLG event was at Dallas 09 when I made it pretty deep into the FFA bracket with my teammate and we were at the venue til I think almost 1am. But that seems like nothing compared to what I'm reading about here...

Edit: this was also an event that shared a space with GoW and WoW, with nearly sold out passes and they still managed to run it very smoothly overall.

• Upvote (+1) 1

2:30am i think is when they decided to end?

LAN capability would solve all this but no matter how much we drill it into 343's brain they are stubborn af and wont listen. 

the grassroots scene would grow immensely all around the world and help sell halo 6

2:30am i think is when they decided to end?

For less than 50 teams? No event should take that long with such a small amount of teams. How many stations are there at the event?

Anyone see the peak viewership for yesterday?

It really bothers me that there isn't more being done to attract viewers who would be watching on the main halo channel. They could have the halo channel running (not hosting pgl) with a static HCS graphic pointing viewers to the pgl channel and a bot posting the link in chat every mimute or so. It really shouldn't be that hard....