CyReN

HCS Pro League Fall 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

I just watched Towey's upload of EG's series against Liquid.

Stellur really doesn't appear to be very good to me. He has a good shot, but is generally sloppy, slow-to-react, and loses a lot of 1v1s that he shouldn't. This surprised me because the general perception of him is that he is a very individually skilled player, maybe it was an off-night. The only game in which he was winning more battles than he was losing was game 5, but he had a weapon advantage in just about every battle, plus his whole team was on fire.

He also just does not look like a good team player, it's like he's playing his own game most of the time and not thinking about helping his team at all. He moves slowly and is often the last one to reach the "action" on the map, which results in him earning a lot of "baity" kills and not in a way that is beneficial to the team. And I know I've said this multiple times already, but his communication is pathetic for a pro player.

I'm not blaming EG's struggles on him (they have many different issues), but as someone who just watched 5 entire games from his perspective in a serious setting, I'm very unimpressed. Maybe he just doesn't mesh with EG. It looks like he has a completely different idea of how to play Halo than his team.

I know we see him as sort of the hero in the fight against the community villain Cratos, but hopefully others who have watched a lot of his gameplay can offer their opinions.

Did you watch ugc?

I think his differing play style benefits the team since he's slower and values each life more. There were times where he was literally the only reason they weren't 4 down.

@@Towey is it possible to switch POV for each different gametype? Like game 1 Roy, game 2 stellur etc.

So from what I've gathered from intel on Twitter...

Naded will NOT be going to Vegas because he didnt get into the top 4 in the Pro League.

Thats abysmal. I get that he's gutted but that is a terrible attitude for a pro, and a BAD advertisement for professional Halo. I really hope it's not true. Where is the drive, and the ambition to compete in LAN? Sigh.

How 2 let ur team down 101.

Man, I hope that's not true. I really didn't blame him for bailing on Optic because it seemed like he was truly fighting some inner demons. This would move me into 'he's just a sore loser' territory.

The community has been clamoring for open LANs and is excited to have all teams there. Personally I was mostly looking forward to EG, LG, and ALG getting a chance to play on LAN since they didn't make finals- it's their chance to leave on a higher note. No Naded would make me sour.

• Upvote (+1) 5

If we're only going to have a handful of events they should be something you have to go to unless you just want to fuck yourself over for finals

• Upvote (+1) 1

Community cries for open LANs and then no pro teams attend them :(

I feel like its been obvious since pro league started they all only give a shit about their easy income. I could also take a shot at how h5 is piss poor so why go to lans to win for the sake of pride when you only play for money.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

How are you NOT gonna attend Vegas?

Fucking disgraceful

I wouldn't mind usually, but its the fucking open finals. This LAN is meant to be THE one. I was expecting 40+ teams but considering OpTic arent gonna bother with yet another event, and Naded has a shit attitude then I fear the worst for the turnout. What is the point trying to support the growth of Halo, fuck sake

• Upvote (+1) 1

The issue that I have is pretty simple. We are running into the same issue we had at season 1. Everyone knew 4 teams at finals just doesn't make sense and it was said that the format would be improved going into fall season. Timos tweet of stating how it isn't possible for fall season doesn't get much sympathy from me since well it is the same exact issue that we had in the summer season. Keep in mind when reading this I defend ESL/343 a good amount and appreciate everything they have done for both myself/our team/halo. Him even acknowledging the tweets about finals was a mistake on his part since after doing the same format as before there really isn't much to be said. Personally I see both arguments where in 1 case- All 8 teams should be invited, 2- What would be the point of regular season.

-edit: I just want to add in here that players like contra/dev, roy/lunch are known to be so much better at events and I think the frustration people have is knowing some of their favorite players do not even get the opportunity to compete at a major event and the only way you get to watch is through an online pro league where you get to scroll through your timeline and see pros complain about online after every single match.

Personally unless you have the advantage of living in a team house(even with that it can be meh) online halo is completely unstable and from my perspective has only been getting worse. I can see it from my own game play, but from teaming with royal 2 and Frosty(Canada/California) it is so obvious there has been a decline in servers for a long time now. (Go back and watch our scrims before xgames/regionals/worlds and see if we have more than 4 complaints in a game). I know Snip3down says royal 2 is delusional and online isn't that bad, but if you play real halo 5 you know exactly where I am coming from :) I would argue that although regular season would technically mean nothing going into finals we do get paid for placings in pro league. So based on that if a pro player says they don't care about how they do in pro league since it doesn't matter xD I question how much they really care about competing in general. Money + a good seed going into a tourney which leads into a better bracket is more than enough reason to compete. If you are 8 seed would you rather go against the team 13-1 going into finals or get the 7th seed and play the trash 2nd place team that was 11-3

Regardless, it isnt going to change going into the fall finals, but I thought I would share my thoughts on the whole thing while it is on topic. I truly hope they announce some awesome things for the future since after finals no one really knows what is next. Also if they continue to do the "open LANs" I would ask that they make them mandatory like MLG used to basically make them in regards to needing the points. Hopefully people get where I am coming from with that, but only 4 "pro" teams showing up to the first LAN in s2 is really discouraging(even though I dont blame them).

Sorry for long post. Have a good day everyone :)

Also the part about Eric I just thought was something funny to add in. No bm intended(I hope a lot of you already knew that)

PS: People thought we were crazy before worlds when we talked about how good eco/liquid(str8) was. They deserve all of the praise they have been getting.

For posterity. I love everything he said and i hope that the rumor about optic not going isnt true.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

You're misunderstanding because you're viewing relegation and Finals as two distinct separate tournaments.

Think of it in terms of the weekend as a whole.

If I am the 8th place team, and relegation plays out to seeds (7 > 8 > Ams), then I will lose one series in relegation. When I get to the Finals bracket, I'm a team that already lost a series this weekend. The 5th, 6th, and 7th have not lost a series.

I unfairly had a buffer series loss compared to 5th/6th (arguable for 7th) because of the format.

Relegation and finals would be two distinct tournaments though, that's the point I'm making. The fact that they take place on the same weekend is irrelevant. 

For 7th/8th to make it to finals they first have to get through relegations, that's a big disadvantage compared to 5th/6th. There's no unfairness with 8th losing a series because they're had to play through an entire tournament just to get to the same position as 5th/6th. The only unfairness which could be argued is between 7th/8th is 7th doesn't lose but 8th does.

If that's true about Naded (and the rest of Luminosity?) and Optic not going to Vegas, then here's the events each team went to this season.

nV - OC, Vegas
OG - OC
TL - OC, Vegas
Str8 - Vegas
LG - 
EG - UGC, Vegas
E6 - OC, UGC, Vegas
ALG - UGC, Vegas

Str8 had Ace at OC, and ALG had Contra at OC.
3/4ths of nV was at UGC, and Lethul was at UGC.

But, I'm only counting full team attendance.
  • Upvote (+1) 3

I just watched Towey's upload of EG's series against Liquid.

Stellur really doesn't appear to be very good to me. He has a good shot, but is generally sloppy, slow-to-react, and loses a lot of 1v1s that he shouldn't. This surprised me because the general perception of him is that he is a very individually skilled player, maybe it was an off-night. The only game in which he was winning more battles than he was losing was game 5, but he had a weapon advantage in just about every battle, plus his whole team was on fire.

He also just does not look like a good team player, it's like he's playing his own game most of the time and not thinking about helping his team at all. He moves slowly and is often the last one to reach the "action" on the map, which results in him earning a lot of "baity" kills and not in a way that is beneficial to the team. And I know I've said this multiple times already, but his communication is pathetic for a pro player.

I'm not blaming EG's struggles on him (they have many different issues), but as someone who just watched 5 entire games from his perspective in a serious setting, I'm very unimpressed. Maybe he just doesn't mesh with EG. It looks like he has a completely different idea of how to play Halo than his team.

I know we see him as sort of the hero in the fight against the community villain Cratos, but hopefully others who have watched a lot of his gameplay can offer their opinions.

This is what I'll say about Stellur.

I overestimated how good he is with power weapons. I thought he would be that guy on EG that would prioritize getting the power weapons and doing insane work with them in his hands, but from what I've seen, he plays like a slower Roy. Relies mainly on his shot with his pistol and has excellent map awareness. His communication was always lacking, but that's not really an issue on this team when he has very vocal teammates and Towey behind him. Stellur plays Halo 5 the right way and that is for map "positioning" which I feel all of the other members of EG could do a better job in this area. When watching EG, they rarely seem to have control of the map and this hurts Stellur's effectiveness as a player. If EG focused more on map positioning and less on playing fast, they would be in the Top 4 right now.

If that's true about Naded (and the rest of Luminosity?) and Optic not going to Vegas, then here's the events each team went to this season.

nV - OC, Vegas
OG - OC
TL - OC, Vegas
Str8 - Vegas
LG - 
EG - UGC, Vegas
E6 - OC, UGC, Vegas
ALG - UGC, Vegas

So, only 8 pro players will have been to all three open LANs;

Snip3down, Ola, Huke, Stellur, Bubu, Suspector, Contra & Cratos.

I don't count Str8 Sick since he was on an AM team at OC, and will be 9 pro players if Lethul will also go to Vegas.

But only a percentage of team skins go to the actual team, maybe there can be a three way split, 33% to 343, the org, and crowdfund, and then the remaining 1% to me.

One of the pros that already has skins released can correct me where I'm wrong right now, but I think the split is 25/25/50 among Org+343 (Dev)+Microsoft (Platform) respectively.

I'd prefer 343's 25% not go to the tournament, but rather to development.

I also wish, however, they'd do a Compendium-like system for updating the prize pool in real time and give us milestones where, if you reach x milestone, you get y new content.

1.5 Million = Reach GL

2 Million = Construct Remake

2.5 Million = Joke Skin / Armor Set

3 Million = Extraction Gametype Added

• Downvote (-1) 1

So, only 8 pro players will have been to all three open LANs;

Snip3down, Ola, Huke, Stellur, Bubu, Suspector, Contra & Cratos.

I don't count Str8 Sick since he was on an AM team at OC, and will be 9 pro players if Lethul will also go to Vegas.

Stellur wasn't on E6 during OC, Shooter was already on the team. So replace Stellur with Shooter.

nV - OC, Vegas

OG - OC

TL - OC, Vegas

Str8 - Vegas

LG -

EG - UGC, Vegas

E6 - OC, UGC, Vegas

ALG - UGC, Vegas

E6 went to chatt as well.

• Upvote (+1) 2