CyReN

HCS Pro League Fall 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Is it possible to get the population numbers from the API?

Up until about April people were using the API to approximate activity. It didn't give us actual population numbers, but you could see how many people were achieving ranks (playing at least 10 games) in each playlist.

That number WAS increasing every month. If I remember correctly there were like 425k GTs with Team Arena ranks in April.

I don't know if anyone is still pulling that data though.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Up until about April people were using the API to approximate activity. It didn't give us actual population numbers, but you could see how many people were achieving ranks (playing at least 10 games) in each playlist.

That number WAS increasing every month. If I remember correctly there were like 425k GTs with Team Arena ranks in April.

I don't know if anyone is still pulling that data though.

It decreased every month.

It decreased every month.

It definately up every month (edit: ok it dropped in march, Then went back up in April). I'll dig some up.

Here's January http://m.imgur.com/a/0UCx1

Here's Feb http://m.imgur.com/a/8BzBa

Here's Marchhttp://m.imgur.com/a/JS7aR

April had 446K, he started to make a website for this stuff but I guess he quit. https://www.spartaninsights.com

No clue what happened in May. I think there was the firefight beta.

Then June-July had a free week and firefight debut, which likely boosted participation across the board.

I'm sure a lot of the "retention" had to do with constant updates. Now that they've slowed to a crawl, and have been replaced with bugs, I imaging the trend has reversed hard since July.

Edit: also, considering how much of this business model is contingent on MTs, I'm surprised 343i/MS isn't more aggressive with promotions. Should do like CSGo did and have free weekends that coincide with special events and tournaments.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Anyone know whats going on with PGL? Did they rebrand to millennial esports? www.progamingleague.com

Anyone know whats going on with PGL? Did they rebrand to millennial esports? www.progamingleague.com

yes 

• Upvote (+1) 1

znNwGVr.jpg

I've been waiting for ctrl-f for what seems like a year now.

I've never used it but theres Jitsi

You make it sound like 343 has no control on how they want to measure that number. MAU is frequently measured in slightly different ways depending on the product.

Sign-on vs. single interaction vs. single match, etc.

Right - I guess the point I was trying to make is that the method I had described is most likely the method that they must be using to claim that Halo 5 has more monthly active users than Halo 3 did.  Because we all know in terms of actual players that isn't true.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Right - I guess the point I was trying to make is that the method I had described is most likely the method that they must be using to claim that Halo 5 has more monthly active users than Halo 3 did. Because we all know in terms of actual players that isn't true.

That wasn't their claim. They said it had the highest retention since Halo3.

Which means a higher percentage of players returned monthly than did in Reach and 4. Which isn't THAT impressive, and is possible even with a lower peak population.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Which means a higher percentage of players returned monthly than did in Reach and 4. Which isn't THAT impressive, and is possible even with a lower peak population.

The second part of this post is pure quality. Who gives a fuck is they have the highest retention if its the highest retention of the least amount players. 

I bet we'll get the actual player numbers right after we get finals stats  :kappa:

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm pretty sure you're mixing up two different claims. At one point they claimed "H5 MP has the best player retention of any Halo game other than H3". http://teambeyond.net/forum/topic/5443-halo-5-guardians-discussion/page-4054#entry675131  

Which doesn't make sense since Halo 2 had better player retention than Halo 3 https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B69vf4Yf74CqUE1UemxVdGFfWDg/view

They also later did the whole monthly active players thing in that blog.

They've said a lot of shit trying to paint Halo 5s population in a good light, without actually posting it.

Random question, have they ever mentioned/stated Halo 5 copies sold?

It definately up every month (edit: ok it dropped in march, Then went back up in April). I'll dig some up.

Here's January http://m.imgur.com/a/0UCx1

Here's Feb http://m.imgur.com/a/8BzBa

Here's Marchhttp://m.imgur.com/a/JS7aR

April had 446K, he started to make a website for this stuff but I guess he quit. https://www.spartaninsights.com

No clue what happened in May. I think there was the firefight beta.

Then June-July had a free week and firefight debut, which likely boosted participation across the board.

I'm sure a lot of the "retention" had to do with constant updates. Now that they've slowed to a crawl, and have been replaced with bugs, I imaging the trend has reversed hard since July.

Edit: also, considering how much of this business model is contingent on MTs, I'm surprised 343i/MS isn't more aggressive with promotions. Should do like CSGo did and have free weekends that coincide with special events and tournaments.

They do those silly packs every so often, the most recent being the Month of Mythic. 

Most people didn't notice but after a week of Tartarus' Gavel, you could still purchase the packs through the marketplace.

I'm pretty sure you're mixing up two different claims. At one point they claimed "H5 MP has the best player retention of any Halo game other than H3". http://teambeyond.net/forum/topic/5443-halo-5-guardians-discussion/page-4054#entry675131  

Which doesn't make sense since Halo 2 had better player retention than Halo 3 https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B69vf4Yf74CqUE1UemxVdGFfWDg/view

They also later did the whole monthly active players thing in that blog.

They've said a lot of shit trying to paint Halo 5s population in a good light, without actually posting it.

Random question, have they ever mentioned/stated Halo 5 copies sold?

I've read that article, and he did about as good a job as possible, but there are assumptions that have to be made in order to come to this conclusion.

What exactly is a retained player? It's quite possible for H2 to have a higher percentage of unique player daily, but still have a lower percentage of unique players monthly. That would happen if H3 players on average played the game less frequently, while there are more unique players overall... which isn't an unlikely scenario, because there were several other popular shooters when H3 dropped.

So without having access to more data, it's pretty much impossible to refute 343i's claim.

The second part of this post is pure quality. Who gives a fuck is they have the highest retention if its the highest retention of the least amount players.

I bet we'll get the actual player numbers right after we get finals stats :kappa:

To be fair, both metrics are useful, but they are most useful when you have both.

monthly retention (a variation of Monthly Active Users) is a good measurement of how satisfied your playerbase is.

Peak population is a good measurement of how appealing your IP is to the masses.

Ideally, the dev would have high marks in both categories (like Halo 3). Reach and 4 had high peaks, but retention was worse with each iteration. Halo 5 likely has higher retention, but with a lower peak population. That's probably a much better situation than H4, tbh. It's definately more fruitful to have a smaller, but more engaged fanbase.

They do those silly packs every so often, the most recent being the Month of Mythic.

Most people didn't notice but after a week of Tartarus' Gavel, you could still purchase the packs through the marketplace.

I mean, actually promote the game, free weekends and such.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

To be fair, both metrics are useful, but they are most useful when you have both.

monthly retention (a variation of Monthly Active Users) is a good measurement of how satisfied your playerbase is.

Peak population is a good measurement of how appealing your IP is to the masses.

Ideally, the dev would have high marks in both categories (like Halo 3). Reach and 4 had high peaks, but retention was worse with each iteration. Halo 5 likely has higher retention, but with a lower peak population. That's probably a much better situation than H4, tbh. It's definately more fruitful to have a smaller, but more engaged fanbase.

Ahh, gotcha.

That only works when your population is in the millions, halo couldn't do that.

But we have 7.9 million esport enthusiasts? :simms: 

Yeah, you are right, but we could take some of their ideas and apply them. Even if its just orgs taking the initiative like Envyus associating themselves with Charlotte (being the only professional team to win championship for Charlotte I appreciate them). 

Agreed on both metrics being useful, but from a player standpoint, is retention really that important compared to daily peak population?  

Retention, to me, is simply a metric on how much devs (or publishers, more accurately) can milk people for continued revenue. Basically, I agree that it signifies a more fruitful fanbase, but I dont think that means its more fruitful for the consumer. 

I don't want to turn this into a salty rant about how games as a service is horrible concept, so I'll leave it at that. :) 

Agreed on both metrics being useful, but from a player standpoint, is retention really that important compared to daily peak population?

Retention, to me, is simply a metric on how much devs (or publishers, more accurately) can milk people for continued revenue. Basically, I agree that it signifies a more fruitful fanbase, but I dont think that means its more fruitful for the consumer.

I don't want to turn this into a salty rant about how games as a service is horrible concept, so I'll leave it at that. :)

Your probably right, but not neccisarily.

Which would be better for your experiences smaller group of players, who are always online?

Or a large group of players, who play sporadically?

The answer is... it depends. Really we could use some live numbers, like battlefield has. We've NEVER had that, unfortunately.