CyReN

HCS Pro League Fall 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Would anyone here even be interested in testing no radar 8s? I feel like the only way we can get this to happen is through testing. I'd be down for doing some, but I'd be pretty useless as I don't have a mic.

We can have a thread with a list of GT's to go with and times to play.

Actually taking initiative and putting our thoughts on how it plays would get even more attention from 343i. IDK if the pros/343i are going to do the testing so we may as well do it ourselves.

I would play

I'm in the middle of nowhere on vacation where it takes 3 mins for a page to load and the amount of negs I need to hand out is too damn high.

• Upvote (+1) 6

i agree but you would imagine removing grenade hit markers would be one of the easier tweaks

i think we should obviously focus on the big issues but we should also focus on the things that would the easiest to fix

-things 343 could change by tomorrow to make the game more competitive-

grenade hit markers

on map nade placements 

(no radar obv but lets start slow)

what else?

Hit markers are part of the engine, removing them is not a custom setting, so no they could not be turned off by tomorrow. Radar, and nade placement literally could. As far as improving the competitive scene goes hit markers are way down the list and will not feasibly happen.

I haven't said anything about this recently so I'll go ahead and mention the idea of no radar in H5: It needs to happen not just because the effect it has on what you can see, but also because it balances other issues as well. Namely the efficacy of autos. I know people will probably base this on their personal opinions (Penguin has been rather shameless about this) But the fact is during the no radar invitational the auto to precision kill ratio, even including auto kills ending in melees, was extremely low to standard pro play. It is for this reason that I believe anyone on the fence about radar that believes autos are broken, needs to rethink how radar affects this balance.

Hit markers are part of the engine, removing them is not a custom setting, so no they could not be turned off by tomorrow. Radar, and nade placement literally could. As far as improving the competitive scene goes hit markers are way down the list and will not feasibly happen.

tru but you lost me

not entirely sure why it's not feasible...

But the fact is during the no radar invitational the auto to precision kill ratio, even including auto kills ending in melees, was extremely low to standard pro play

you must have missed the post where some guy debunked this, it was nearly identical 

not for nothing thats actually pretty good im paying 1225 in jersey for a 1br

it helps living in atlantic county, everything is cheap because no one has any money lol

• Upvote (+1) 1

it helps living in atlantic county, everything is cheap because no one has any money lol

was about to say do you live in camden or something at those prices?

• Upvote (+1) 2

3 br 1 bath 1800. steps from the redline in chicago, live on top of a local pizza spot, get 20% off just for living above. 30 second walk to walgreens as well.

• Upvote (+1) 2

825, 3 bed, 2 bath, college town, middle of nowhere, minimal puke, maximum noise :simms:

ugh u pay lss than 300 for for rent thats a dream. even in my old college town i was at 600 =/

ugh u pay lss than 300 for for rent thats a dream. even in my old college town i was at 600 =/

It's not a bad place at all, all things considered. I definitely lucked out. Except I have Time Warner Cable. I don't think I could lose internet connection any more than I already do even if I stuck the router in the dishwasher

Are we gagging because Halo PC, because he likes hitmarkers or because he likes grenade hitmarkers?

Because I like hitmarkers for weapons.

Hitmarkers for grenades

Hitmarkers for gunshots is fine but I haven't found it very necessary in Halo since you get shield flare. Definitely wouldn't hurt the game.

Thanks for the update. You do know the game mode is exactly the same, correct? No one was talking about patches and slight mechanics changes. Sure, the layout of the field is a bit different and some of the characters get re-worked, but the game functions the same exact way for the most part. And obviously, the objective is still the same.

Except he was listing games with a singular game mode to demonstrate allowing a meta to evolve.

One gametype allows for greater evolution of meta.

LoL is a terrible example of this, because the developers constantly force updates, preventing a meta from evolving, but rather, forcing it to change periodically, with a revolving door of game balance to decide what will be the flavor of the month or season.

Kinda like what these arena refreshes do.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Oh fuck off with this condescending bullshit. Yes I've played Halo PC, both back in the day and now (I literally LAN with the guy who is running the Xbox Experience project on PC). And Halo PC is godawful buggy shit. Over 90% of the MCC bugs listed on www.halobugs.com are caused by 343 using the inferior Halo PC code. Did YOU ever play Halo PC??

Also, I have over 500 hours in MCC, and Halo CE on MCC STILL has hitmarker sounds on. They are just very faint, but you can hear them if you turn your headphones up and there's not a ton of ambient noise going on. It's absolutely stupid as hell.

I don't know if you've ever played high level CE but yes people literally throw nades "randomly" to ward off potential attackers and block doorways while executing moves in the game (ie throwing a nade at the corner of the bases in Battle Creek so people don't catch you off guard while you are jumping on top of the base which requires your full attention). Or if I throw a grenade near a powerup to block someone from potentially grabbing it (while putting it closer to my position, ie OS on Chill Out). If I get a hitmarker off that it's free information that was not earned legitimately. I just got lucky that they happened to be charging at that exact moment.

Grenade spam is already slightly annoying in CE sometimes (especially Battle Creek) and getting hitmarkers would only encourage further spam and more turtling from people looking to avoid revealing their location. We want to limit turtling as much as possible in an esport.

If grenades landing right next to you revealed your presence to the thrower, the effect on the meta would almost certainly not be *more turtling*. That demonstrates a very shaky understanding of game balance. The whole point I'm making here is that you can use hit sounds to flush people out of hiding positions, making it less advantageous to sit and wait in a corner forever. If they can check for you there, they probably will. The smart response is to stay moving so that it remains unlikely one of their feeler names happens to coincide with your position. Seriously, as if turtling was some huge problem in CE anyway...

As I've said a thousand times before, you are absolutely abusing the word random. Random is a bad word in this community. Calling something random to Halo fans is like calling somebody racist. It's axiomatically bad, and you can drum up hatred just by floating it. If anybody tries to call you for being too loose with your language, it's easy to make them look like THEY are the ones being ridiculous.

You're saying people throw random grenades in high level CE 2's (thanks for the education on this topic btw, speaking of condescending bullshit). It's true that you throw grenades in areas where you don't' KNOW that somebody is going to be, but that's all part of the poker game. You try your hardest to use all information available to you and guess where they're going to be. Sometimes they're there, sometimes they're not. You're making a high probability play, and you're also actively volunteering information, resources and attention to gather information for the very purpose of allowing you to make plays that are less random. No good player is just throwing grenades literally willy nilly. They have some understanding of all the places the opponent might be, and they're trying to narrow it down. This is a cool thing to add to the meta, and it's not "random" in the way that you're hoping other readers will subconsciously believe.

We can keep going around on these issues, but the bottom line is that there is a one-to-one correspondence between things you like and things that are reminiscent of Halo CE. I get the sensation that if CE had shipped without Camo being a thing, then you would be able to write huge essays about how it was a terrible skill less thing to add to the game. There is some amount of reasoning that you can do in a vacuum, but the best test is to actually play it and get good at it. Your arguments are strung along with connectives and some tenuous level of reasoning and justification, but they don't actually match reality. They're like a self consistent worldview that makes sense relative to itself, but is not empirically true. It's kind of a cop out, but the easiest way to see that hit markers are demonstrably fine is to *dum dum dum* play the game. If you play the game without hate in your heart, you will find yourself realizing that it works itself out.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 9

I take back what I said about replacing storm rifle with brute on truth. It's just as op. Boltshot should replace it

But if no one is playing it no one is watching it

because at the end of the day, they are the ones that put up the show.

So if they don't like it, why on earth should they play it?

And if they don't play it, we ain't gonna be watching it.

And if they like it, then we are probably gonna see more, which is a great thing

uhh.......