CyReN

HCS Pro League Fall 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

I like the video and agree with a lot. However I think it's silly while trying to come across as professional and address a company to use the phrase "buttfuck". It gives 343 a cop out and a way to question the seriousness of the plea imo

I mean, it got us an answer at least.

• Upvote (+1) 1

this game has a ton of issues and it doesn't seem like they are going to fix anything

maybe halo 6 will have fun matchmaking, working servers, and a spectator mode that isn't an embarrassment to esports 

is it 2018 yet?

We've been saying this for the past how many installments of Halo?

• Upvote (+1) 1

I have lagged out 4 times today. Radar vs. No radar doesnt mean shit if I cant stay in a game...

We should have spent this energy telling 343 to fix servers, fix aim lag and ghost melees.  

PRIORITIES 

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 1

why the fuck Stasis is in map rotation :kappa:

because its balanced and competitive

• Upvote (+1) 1

Roy has been pretty consistent this season. I think he's in solid form. Hope to see the H2A form return soon though. That's the form I and everybody else love to see.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Halo already had that with Worlds.

The reason Gears esports is getting a big injection of money is because it just released and it’s good marketing. Just like Worlds was good marketing.

I wouldn’t be at all surprised if in a year the prize pools for Gears will be much smaller.

People have rose colored glasses on about Gears right now. I don't see any amazing viewership, and when the game first releases is when it is almost always the highest. I hope Gears works out well, but I don't expect much to come of it. I've seen better viewership in Halo and people want to jump off building...

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I think in some ways the area denial aspect of splinters is cool and interesting but they're just way too strong right now

Agree. It serves as a very cool tactical tool, but has far to much power with the 1 hit death aspect.

The problem with Halo 5 is there are way too many routes to go, and way too many ways to get to places really quick. The only thing I'm afraid of is the randomness that no radar will bring.

When I say too many routes, I mean you can no longer say "this person is here. He can only either go this way or that way". When you can accurately predict where your enemy can go and when your enemy can accurately pick where you could be, it led to the mental battles and flanks that were actually accomplished by out smarting your enemy.

Now I feel like with no radar, theres just too many options to legitimately be outsmarted and outplayed. If my enemy can go 5 different ways, how is it my fault I picked the wrong way to cover?

Nothing kills competitive gameplay more than randomness, and I actually feel like no radar will introduce a lot of randomness to Halo 5. One person will happen to pick the right way to go, rather than think it out and plan it.

I still think it should go because it has other things that take away from team competitive play, but I think it will also have some negative effects on Halo 5s gameplay as well. Oh well, I only follow Halo 5 competitive for the names, gameplay is weirdly not a thing I enjoy to watch anymore.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

People have rose colored glasses on about Gears right now. I don't see any amazing viewership, and when the game first releases is when it is almost always the highest. I hope Gears works out well, but I don't expect much to come of it. I've seen better viewership in Halo and people want to jump off building...

Exactly. Pro league gets more views than an MLG invitational with OG vs. NRG two big orgs one with notable juice the other with Shaq and Arod. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

We should have spent this energy telling 343 to fix servers, fix aim lag and ghost melees.  

PRIORITIES 

servers, aim lag and ghost melees are something that should ALREADY be prioritized by the studio, as they are technical game-breaking issues and not settings disputes that the community needs to discuss their opinions on. 

• Upvote (+1) 8

Dude, I'm opening up the spigot for one post, because this is just too infuriating to let it pass.

A way of gathering information? Throwing random grenades into random windows/rooms is not a skillful way of gathering information

Do you ever notice the asymmetry of how I discuss these topics with how you, argalactable and Beast do? You just pepper in derogatory words throughout your "argument", with no actual backing or substance. What the fuck are you actually trying to say here? You think people just throw RANDOM grenades without any sense of prediction or idea of what they're checking? It's just a total crapshoot? Is that what you think? 

most of the time it will be someone around a corner trying to get their shield back and players tend to throw preemptive grenades to try and predict enemies coming around corners

OH LOOK, no that's clearly NOT what you think, because you literally contradict yourself two sentences later and admit that people are throwing grenades as a means of flushing out somebody particular that they're engaging with. Really, it would be hard for this to be less random. Seriously, what the FUCK is the word "random" doing in this sentence? Maybe you could be intellectually honest and admit that you're just describing things that you don't like as "random" "gimmicks" that give you "cheap" information or allow you to run away when you "should" have died. This argument has NO CONTENT. You are pretending to reason about gameplay, but you're just describing things that you don't like and then slurring them.

It's very cheap way to find out the location of the enemy 

In comparison to what?!?!! It costs 1 grenade to find out the location of the enemy, if the grenade is so well thrown that they can't escape it. The other ways to gather information are ... let's see... maybe you could LOOK INTO THE ROOM. That sure gives you some information. Is that expensive enough for you?

How else can you get information? Oh, how about when you see a grenade being thrown past you? That allows you to reason approximately where the thrower must have been. Funny, it's almost like using grenades to test for hiding people sacrifices some information back to them.... Maybe that's not accurate enough for you though, in comparison to getting hit markers. After all, according to you, a grenade will:

enable you to know exactly where someone is without any thought or precision

Wow, EXACTLY? I suppose you know their location to within a circle that's the size of the grenade's blast radius, that could be pretty exact. How big is that circle again?

considering the humongous blast radius of the grenades; someone barely getting nicked by a grenade, but now their location is completely given away due to a slight tap outside the blast radius

Oh, right it's HUMONGOUS. So you know their location to within a humongous circle, (plus however far they've managed to run since the grenade exploded). And all you had to pay was one of your grenades and the transfer of some information back to the player you hit, who can guess approximately where the grenade was thrown from. This is all assuming you were able to throw a grenade that was so well placed that the player couldn't get out of its way quickly enough. It's weird, I would have thought that having thrust makes this easier than previous games, making it even more balanced. I guess not though, because according to you:

There's nothing tied with the movement abilities that makes grenade hitmarkers a good idea

Case closed then, I guess. If you decree it, it is so. 

Go construct an actual argument. OR, better yet, admit that the only reason you dislike these things is that they're different and not that they're bad. If you respond to this with another post that is just a bunch of moralizing weasel words, we will all take that as acknowledgement that you're just making shit up.

• Upvote (+1) 12
  • Downvote (-1) 7

servers, aim lag and ghost melees are something that should ALREADY be prioritized by the studio, as they are technical game-breaking issues and not settings disputes that the community needs to discuss their opinions on. 

The keyword is should. At the present time it isn't being prioritized at all. The game gets worse and worse every month and let's be honest, someone lags out at least once every scrim. Sure discuss radar, but honestly I feel like OUR priority right now is  to be as vocal as we can about these issues because this just isn't acceptable.

youkeepusingthatword.gif

This is not what Randomness is.

It's unpredictable AT FIRST, but this I why pros play hundreds upon hundreds of games against each other. Eventually, you learn player tendencies. If there's a mid, a high, a left liw, and a right low path out...you'll learn who goes low, who goes high, who challenges anyway...

You build the nuances. The meta evolves.

There's also a difference between game randomness and player randomness.

League of Legends has more meta than Gears.

League blows, play/watch DOTA if you want a rich meta.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The problem with Halo 5 is there are way too many routes to go, and way too many ways to get to places really quick. The only thing I'm afraid of is the randomness that no radar will bring.

When I say too many routes, I mean you can no longer say "this person is here. He can only either go this way or that way". When you can accurately predict where your enemy can go and when your enemy can accurately pick where you could be, it led to the mental battles and flanks that were actually accomplished by out smarting your enemy.

Now I feel like with no radar, theres just too many options to legitimately be outsmarted and outplayed. If my enemy can go 5 different ways, how is it my fault I picked the wrong way to cover?

Nothing kills competitive gameplay more than randomness, and I actually feel like no radar will introduce a lot of randomness to Halo 5. One person will happen to pick the right way to go, rather than think it out and plan it.

I still think it should go because it has other things that take away from team competitive play, but I think it will also have some negative effects on Halo 5s gameplay as well. Oh well, I only follow Halo 5 competitive for the names, gameplay is weirdly not a thing I enjoy to watch anymore.

Maybe that isn't an issue of no radar, but how crappily the abilities are implemented if they needed radar to be an active nerf. :P

• Upvote (+1) 4

Jesus dude, relax lol. Calm down a tad. Will respond to each section with plugged in quotes in green.

Dude, I'm opening up the spigot for one post, because this is just too infuriating to let it pass.

Do you ever notice the asymmetry of how I discuss these topics with how you, argalactable and Beast do? You just pepper in derogatory words throughout your "argument", with no actual backing or substance. What the fuck are you actually trying to say here? You think people just throw RANDOM grenades without any sense of prediction or idea of what they're checking? It's just a total crapshoot? Is that what you think? 

How is stating "random" peppering in derogatory words? Do you honestly believe that people don't throw random grenades in Halo? Yes, the reason they throw a grenade in a certain direction is because they think that there may be a person there. This is pretty much common sense and I'm surprised you actually thought I didn't understand this concept. I've competed in this game since Halo 2, I'm fully capable of understanding the reasoning behind throwing a grenade a certain direction, yes. Do you think people are constantly, intentionally throwing grenades all the way inside of Red Treehouse from the front of Blue base with the hope of hitting someone hiding in the old storm rifle location? No. They're throwing prediction grenades to check a person who may come a certain direction. Grenades are not just used to kill someone. They're also used for area of denial.

OH LOOK, no that's clearly NOT what you think, because you literally contradict yourself two sentences later and admit that people are throwing grenades as a means of flushing out somebody particular that they're engaging with. Really, it would be hard for this to be less random. Seriously, what the FUCK is the word "random" doing in this sentence? Maybe you could be intellectually honest and admit that you're just describing things that you don't like as "random" "gimmicks" that give you "cheap" information or allow you to run away when you "should" have died. This argument has NO CONTENT. You are pretending to reason about gameplay, but you're just describing things that you don't like and then slurring them.

If you relax for two seconds and think logically, let's say you're playing 2v2s on Fathom for a second (I like using Fathom because it's the easiest to describe a scenario). You haven't seen an enemy in about 10 seconds, you walk up towards one of the treehouse. You throw a grenade towards the window side because you think someone may be there. You have no idea that he is or not, you just think he may be there. Is it an educated guess? Yes. But do you deserve to be rewarded because of it? No. Some people will hit someone with a grenade and then go oh! He's there, let me throw 2 more grenades! This is the situation I'm referring to in that section you quoted.

In comparison to what?!?!! It costs 1 grenade to find out the location of the enemy, if the grenade is so well thrown that they can't escape it. The other ways to gather information are ... let's see... maybe you could LOOK INTO THE ROOM. That sure gives you some information. Is that expensive enough for you?

How else can you get information? Oh, how about when you see a grenade being thrown past you? That allows you to reason approximately where the thrower must have been. Funny, it's almost like using grenades to test for hiding people sacrifices some information back to them.... Maybe that's not accurate enough for you though, in comparison to getting hit markers. After all, according to you, a grenade will:

What do you mean in comparison to what? It's a cheap way to learn someones location because you literally did nothing but look a direction and press the grenade button. "It cost 1 grenade to find out the location of the enemy" this is exactly why it's stupid. Grenades are very indispensable in Halo. Yes, they're useful but majority of the encounters in a competitive game come from gun fights. "The other ways to gather information are ... let's see... maybe you could LOOK INTO THE ROOM. That sure gives you some information. Is that expensive enough for you?" Yes... If you see someone, that should be the exact instance you should know where someone is. What are you even arguing here?

Wow, EXACTLY? I suppose you know their location to within a circle that's the size of the grenade's blast radius, that could be pretty exact. How big is that circle again?

The more I'm replying to this comment, the more I'm starting to think this is a troll. Yes, dude, if you hit someone with a grenade, you should, by all intents and purposes, know exactly where someone is. The explosion radius is like 5 feet. If you can't tell where someone is exactly when you hit them with a grenade, there are issues. Okay, this may sound like bashing but this was stupid. I was fine with your responses up until this one.

Oh, right it's HUMONGOUS. So you know their location to within a humongous circle, (plus however far they've managed to run since the grenade exploded). And all you had to pay was one of your grenades and the transfer of some information back to the player you hit, who can guess approximately where the grenade was thrown from. This is all assuming you were able to throw a grenade that was so well placed that the player couldn't get out of its way quickly enough. It's weird, I would have thought that having thrust makes this easier than previous games, making it even more balanced. I guess not though, because according to you:

Case closed then, I guess. If you decree it, it is so. 

Go construct an actual argument. OR, better yet, admit that the only reason you dislike these things is that they're different and not that they're bad. If you respond to this with another post that is just a bunch of moralizing weasel words, we will all take that as acknowledgement that you're just making shit up.

What in the world... Are you kidding me? Are you telling me you've never been slightly touched by a grenade in this game? You know, the ones that don't take any shields away but yet, you see your shield regen timer decreasing? Those are the grenades I'm talking about. And when you get tapped by those grenades, yes, their hit marker goes off and they know you're there at that point. 

If you can honestly say that my post wasn't an actual argument, and yours was, I'm.. Shocked. I actually liked your splinter grenade suggestion that you posted. That was a good idea, hence why I didn't argue that. But to sit here and argue these points are just.. Absurd man.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Most people probably think that older Halos never had or needed hit markers. On the contrary, there is an older halo game that gave you the same information: Halo PC. That game would give you hitsounds whenever you did damage, including with grenades. It was one of the few differences that was positive.

As a diehard CE player, I'm not even joking: i literally just reflex gagged

• Upvote (+1) 7

I bet Lethul is just sitting there laughing his ass off at how off the rails this thread has gotten.

That or sleeping.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1