CyReN

HCS Pro League Fall 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

While we're on the topic of potential changes... I'll just go ahead and throw my hand on the table.

Can we please get an option to turn grenade hit-markers off?

I can see why people would think this is a good idea, but I'm almost certain this would detract from the gameplay. Grenade hit markers are a great way of gathering information, and they provide a good balance to people hiding around sharp corners with shotguns / SMGs. It gives much more power to teams that are trying to make a push on a setup, and in practice this appears to be a critical balance tweak.

Additionally, there turn out to be so many situations where it was just impossible for you to know whether your grenade hit the other player or not, and yet not having that information made you powerless to handle the situation well. If it hit, you should push back out, if it didn't, you should run. You can guess which one is correct, but why force the player to do that when you can give them the information they need to play correctly? It's not as if you gave it to them without the other player's permission - your opponent should have done better to avoid getting hit by the grenade. Especially in Halo 5 where you have so many movement options to dodge grenades, this is a totally reasonable punishment. It also contributes to reducing endless sprint-aways. By giving attacking players more information about when it's safe to chase, you reduce the number of frustrating non-kills.

Most people probably think that older Halos never had or needed hit markers. On the contrary, there is an older halo game that gave you the same information: Halo PC. That game would give you hitsounds whenever you did damage, including with grenades. It was one of the few differences that was positive. 

Sidenote: I will always support the addition of the OPTION to turn it off, though. More options is good. It makes sense to debate where you'd actually want to turn it off though. 

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 15

Here is a comparison between 13 games, on the same maps & gametypes, between nV & Luminosity.
This is from scrim data on 10/17/2016 vs the 10/21/2016 no-radar invitational.

You can view the file HERE.

It's a pivot table so you can rearrange the data to draw other conclusions (like look at precision weapon usage/map or gametype).

WqQWygF.png

Interestingly enough, while last night I looked initially at Truth Slayer data and the results were a bit odd (in regards to power/auto/precision kills and time of possession), when looking over 13 games it seems to be leveling out to pretty much the same. The biggest jump right now I can see is in Spartan Ability kills. This is actually something I felt while watching the no radar invitational. Especially on Fathom & Empire. People coming around corners and spartan charging one after another.

Maps & Gametypes from this comparison;

CTF
  • Coliseum
  • Fathom
  • Truth
Slayer
  • Coliseum
  • Eden
  • Plaza
  • Regret
  • Rig
  • Truth
Stronghold
  • Eden
  • Empire
  • Plaza
  • Rig
  • Upvote (+1) 9

So you can have an opinion about how the evolved settings feel but my opinion is wrong? I thought it felt too much like older halos. It's an opinion after playing the setting for am entire night. A couple of the people from your evolved crew came in here and started bashing everyone that didn't like them, don't blame us for just giving our perspective on how we felt about them.

Look man, I'm not going to go back and forth with you about how you feel about the settings. If you don't like them, that's perfectly fine man lol. I'm not going to shove it down your throat or anyone's throat at that. But yes, saying that the Evolved settings play like H3 is literally incorrect. It plays absolutely zero like Halo 3. Does it have a classic Halo feel? Yes. But it's inside of the Halo 5 sandbox and environment. The only thing similar to Halo 3 in Evolved's regards, are two map remakes and no sprint. That is literally it. But there are 11 maps total. The kill times, the movement speed, jump height, strafing ability, weapon layouts, (I can go on) are all different.

But like I said man, if you don't like them, that's perfectly fine haha. It's not for everyone. No worries. And no ones "blaming you for your perspective." I don't even know what that is even in reference to.

• Upvote (+1) 8

Snip

I like the video and agree with a lot. However I think it's silly while trying to come across as professional and address a company to use the phrase "buttfuck". It gives 343 a cop out and a way to question the seriousness of the plea imo

• Upvote (+1) 1

Look man, I'm not going to go back and forth with you about how you feel about the settings. If you don't like them, that's perfectly fine man lol. I'm not going to shove it down your throat or anyone's throat at that. But yes, saying that the Evolved settings play like H3 is literally incorrect. It plays absolutely zero like Halo 3. Does it have a classic Halo feel? Yes. But it's inside of the Halo 5 sandbox and environment. The only thing similar to Halo 3 in Evolved's regards, are two map remakes and no sprint. That is literally it. But there are 11 maps total. The kill times, the movement speed, jump height, strafing ability, weapon layouts, (I can go on) are all different.

But like I said man, if you don't like them, that's perfectly fine haha. It's not for everyone. No worries. And no ones "blaming you for your perspective." I don't even know what that is even in reference to.

It's in reference to your crew coming in here and calling anyone who didn't like your settings "343 kids" or "h5 kids". How are you going to tell me how I think a game feels? You all are pretty arrogant about these settings. I understand you put time into them and like them but that doesn't mean you need to bash anyone that doesn't like them.
  • Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 7

It's in reference to your crew coming in here and calling anyone who didn't like your settings "343 kids" or "h5 kids". How are you going to tell me how I think a game feels? You all are pretty arrogant about these settings. I understand you put time into them and like them but that doesn't mean you need to bash anyone that doesn't likeven them.

Only 1 person made those comments. No one else has said anything derogatory towards you or anyone else about their preference. We have even explicitly told you who and what the settings are for. No one is bashing you or being arrogant with their settings. But when I comes here and see people openly bashing evolved for no reason obviously I'm gonna respond. I know the man that made these settings and I helped test a lot. Bashing a guy because he made settings for people that like this type of gameplay doesn't make any sense to me. Why do you care? You don't like it? Great. Don't play it. But to openly call them garbage and then say how "similar it is to H3" is obviously gonna get a reaction. We get it, you don't like te settings.
  • Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

It's in reference to your crew coming in here and calling anyone who didn't like your settings "343 kids" or "h5 kids". How are you going to tell me how I think a game feels? You all are pretty arrogant about these settings. I understand you put time into them and like them but that doesn't mean you need to bash anyone that doesn't like them.

I don't see why you're on a forum if you're going to get so offended over literally nothing.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

1) How is me telling you that you're okay to not like the settings arrogant? I didn't bash you a single time. So I wish you stop replying to me insinuating I am for telling you that the game doesn't feel like Halo 3. I just noted an entire list of reasons as to why it doesn't play like Halo 3. If you disagree, that's completely fine. But please quote exactly where I bashed you? Disagreeing and giving you a list of reasons why I disagree is not bashing you. I would love for you to list a bunch of reasons on how it does feel like Halo 3. Because all you've said is "it feels like Halo 3. If I wanted to play Halo 3 I'd go play Xbox 360 or MCC" which isn't an argument, that's just a general statement.

2) Stop calling them "my crew". They're my friends, yes, but we aren't like some gang of bandits running amongst the forums. Every person is their own individual and I'm no one's mother. If you have a problem with one of them, take it up with them. No idea why you're tattle-telling to me for.

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 1

My first post here was simply acknowledging the settings and describing how it works, but sure, let's pretend that the disrespect started on my end. I'm simply astounded that we now have a competitive community filled with people who openly scoff at the notion of removing the gimmicks from the game. If the community was like it is now during Reach, we never would have gotten v7 settings. Call yourselves what you want, I can't take it seriously.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 2

>your crew

can you stop with the boogeymaning? literally who has done this not named cooper?

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Why?. 

because at the end of the day, they are the ones that put up the show.

So if they don't like it, why on earth should they play it?

And if they don't play it, we ain't gonna be watching it.

And if they like it, then we are probably gonna see more, which is a great thing

• Upvote (+1) 2

this gears invitational has been awesome to watch. the casting, production, spectator mode, everything.

i'M reaLly not tryinG to open any wounds today, though. i can't say for sure though. i Might caLl my Gramps to reminisce about the good ole days.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

i am for anything that rewards the superior skill of a player.

right now the player with the best pistol shot will lose a 1v1 against an AR 8/10 times.

• Upvote (+1) 10
  • Downvote (-1) 1

this gears invitational has been awesome to watch. the casting, production, spectator mode, everything.

i'M reaLly not tryinG to open any wounds today, though. i can't say for sure though. i Might caLl my Gramps to reminisce about the good ole days.

Whoa! you know Mate, I would Love to reminisce the Good ole days too!!

• Upvote (+1) 1

If everybody could stop talking about the evolved settings stuff and bring it to the pm's instead... That would be great.

Don't mind me, just passing by with my eye infection and I can't for the life of me find more reply options on mobile, would have placed a crying mj here.

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 1

because at the end of the day, they are the ones that put up the show.

So if they don't like it, why on earth should they play it?

And if they don't play it, we ain't gonna be watching it.

And if they like it, then we are probably gonna see more, which is a great thing

But if no one is playing it no one is watching it

TIL Gears is a FPS

Can't remember who exactly coined the term, but I believe it was @@Jeenyus. Dinosaur Tuck and Roll Shotgun Adventure is one of the deepest most bestest FPS ever made.

• Upvote (+1) 5