CyReN

HCS Pro League Fall 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

This place turned from an almost united front to a cesspool of shitposts and negativity real quick. ctfo.

Evolved setting, or even setting that are close, are never going to be adopted by 343. Give it a rest.

If you want change. Real, achievable change, then you need to grow up and realize that your individual belief of an ideal game needs to marry with the REALITY OF THE FUCKING SITUATION.

Here are the priorities IMO that are realistically achievable on a reasonable timeline.

Fix trash servers/left fireteam glitch

Extensively test no radar

Fix autos

Fix splinters

Edit: would elaborate more if i wasnt on mobile while cooking pancakes.

Fix spectator mode should be added and near the top of the list.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Can I add to this adjusting power weapon and grenade placement? (And probably emanating a few as well).

Yes please! Side note. Whatever happened to the sniper/rockets swap on coliseum way back when? I only played a few games at a lowly diamond level but thought it was at least a decent idea compared to most of the shit they tried.

The "you're too bad to understand why radar is good" argument was never good in the first place but it especially doesn't hold up when a majority of 34 polled pro players preferred no radar.

I just wish I had the patience to actually read all of the posts that lead up to that comment. Lol. I guess I've just been worn down after reading similar arguments from H2 until now that I just go into auto pilot and start skipping stuff when things start heading down the settings road. Maybe if we made any real progress it would feel different but its just the same words and ideas written a thousand different ways at this point.

I wish this community and 343 could actually accomplish something and move forward rather than the developer always residing in an ivory tower and everyone bitching about the same thing before its all said and done.

If spectator mode was fixed and given a whole bunch of new features.

Like grenade tracking, grenade cams (we have a chase cam on the grenade like in CS GO) stats within the game, heat maps (to see where most of the action takes place).

Then we got ourselves a fucking A.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I just wish I had the patience to actually read all of the posts that lead up to that comment. Lol. I guess I've just been worn down after reading similar arguments from H2 until now that I just go into auto pilot and start skipping stuff when things start heading down the settings road. Maybe if we made any real progress it would feel different but its just the same words and ideas written a thousand different ways at this point.

I have a feeling some people are seeing comments being made elsewhere affect the way they respond to more innocuous comments here. 

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I have a feeling some people are seeing comments being made elsewhere affect the way they respond to more innocuous comments here. 

I definitely think so too.

The "you're too bad to understand why radar is good" argument was never good in the first place but it especially doesn't hold up when a majority of 34 polled pro players preferred no radar.

Nobody here thinks they're as good as you or your team at halo and nobody thinks that your team would suck without radar, but you don't have to be the best player in the game to be able to make an argument for no radar.

As long as you have played a lot of the gametypes in the team arena playlist i think you can have a good opinion on the topic. Unlike someone that was arguing with me on waypoint that had only played 6 team arena games TOTAL since the game launched.

• Upvote (+1) 1

RIP the United Front.

We were together and then we started viciously mauling each other. Shame.

There never was a united front on radar in this forum. Any "pro-radar" post is obliterated with negs so that side is never posted.

• Upvote (+1) 8

Fix spectator mode should be added and near the top of the list.

Yeah forgot about that. Was definitely thinking about my experience when playing but youre 100% correct.

Settings changes are good but if the non-gameplay elements are frustrating, youre still gonna lose interest.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Catching up to the thread and the no radar invitational (on game 7) and I really hope all the pro players give their feedback to the games.

I don't want to form an opinion too early, teams will have to make adjustments and new meta will develop, but what I've seen of the series really looked messy. It'll take a lot more testing then one series to really see if no radar is better than radar in, and this is key, halo 5. It seems "the community" has already made up it's mind though, despite what I see as confirmation bias in full effect.

It would be really cool if at least some of these pro teams started scrimming more with no radar. That is what it'll take to truly see the effects of a change of this magnitude. Of course players likely would be against this, as they may develop bad habits without radar that would be heavily punished in a hcs radar game, but it also may really help develop better communication practices.

Last night's games were exciting. Halo 5 has been out for a year and shaking up the core meta to such an extent would make it interesting again. Even if no radar ultimately doesn't work out, we need to give it it's fair shake. Perhaps next season.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Do you really think that just playing your version of this game is the key? This is an honest question. Your posts aren't complete trash but you seem so deep into this idea that evolved settings and making this game as exact to H1 as H5 will go is the key. If it was the key wouldn't it be so unanimous to most people? You word your posts well but you seem just so entrenched in your vision of the game. Obviously I want the game to be better please don't ask me generic questions to strengthen your argument. If you really think this game being stripped of all jumps improves it I just don't want to converse with you about it lol.

EDIT: I don't go to the settings thread please tell me the 4 shot pistol idea is dead.

I actually don't think evolved settings are the answer at all. I think evolved plays too fast with a 4sk pistol that melts people instantly since it is so much easier to use than the CE pistol. I still think 4sk should be the standard optimal killtime but it needs far less magnetism. Tbh I think a 4sk pistol would still be fine in default h5 though since players have so many escape tools. But I want to see it tested, not just thrown out as a completely bad idea.

I've also actually advocated for the inclusion of ground pound and stabilizers in Evolved as I don't believe they are detrimental to skillgap. I think the aerial control offered by ground pound introduces new exciting routes and plays. It could be nerfed a little perhaps but I wouldn't want it entirely gone.

I would be ok with thruster as well if it was tweaked somehow. I liked some of its usage in the no radar gameplay. In its current form it's used too much as an escape tool though. Perhaps if you had to be a certain height over the ground so you could still use it to traverse maps in interesting ways but not be able to just immediately spam it when you feel shots. I'm open to ideas.

And please remove sprint for the love of God and just literally replicate the movement feel of Doom or something, but maybe a bit slower than doom. Going back to sprint after playing Doom is just awful.

I don't want just CE version 2. I want Halo to respect the core principles of CE that are almost universally regarded in this community as the most skillful (powerful but difficult utility weapon; a simpler weapon sandbox that requires more skill to use; fast spawning power items; maps with verticality; predictable and repeatable spawns, always having your gun up and ready to use, etc). I'm open to new ideas I just want a higher skillgap that promotes aggressiveness and exciting gameplay. There's a reason CE was voted as having the best gameplay in the series by this forum. There's a reason halo 2 was patched by Bungie to play more like CE. There's a reason MLG consistently modified Halo to emulate CE-like play and was highly successful. MLG always tweaked Halo to offer a better utility weapon, mitigate dual wields, remove gimmicks, increase strafe speed and weapon damage in halo 3. Goldpro in Reach and also the community petitioning 343 to get NBNS settings implemented was also adhering to the principles of CE.

If Halo 6 can emulate some of the best core competitive components of CE while bringing in some cool new stuff like more aerial control I would play and watch the shit out of that.

• Upvote (+1) 8

I think clamber hurts the gameplay more than sprint. You can't "miss" jumps now.

You must have missed ninjas POV in this week's EG pro league matches

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

But also the games needs to be fun to watch.

No matter how good the reception, the people who are playing, the settings and everything.

If I'm bored of something, I'm not gonna watch it.

Just something to consider....

• Upvote (+1) 1

Last night's games were exciting. Halo 5 has been out for a year and shaking up the core meta to such an extent would make it interesting again. Even if no radar ultimately doesn't work out, we need to give it it's fair shake. Perhaps next season.

How about we take radar out, take sprint out, take abilities out. And actually play a Halo game to begin with  :kappa:

Awaiting Negs

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

For me it comes down to how enjoyable the game is to watch, the current settings aren't fun to watch at all. I don't enjoy watching players crouching and abusing automatic weapons, no radar needs to have maps adjusted accordingly but the settings need to be played more for players to adjust and play them optimally. I don't believe the series we saw yesterday is a proper representative of how the game will play at the top level.

• Upvote (+1) 6

If your argument for radar being removed effectively requires their also to be removal of sprint and clamber, your argument is a non-starter. Sorry to burst your bubble.

• Upvote (+1) 10
  • Downvote (-1) 3

Yes please! Side note. Whatever happened to the sniper/rockets swap on coliseum way back when? I only played a few games at a lowly diamond level but thought it was at least a decent idea compared to most of the shit they tried.

I don't know why they changed it back specifically (and I have terrible ideas in general), but I always thought the sniper at top rockets was too OP of a position for it. The whole map besides the current snipe spawn is wide open

Yeah not a single person expects evolved to be adopted by the HCS.

We'd love to see some of the principles of evolved in hcs for sure though (namely no radar, no sprint with a faster base movement speed).

snip

Yeah, I found out about Evolved settings after watching VETOED play them on stream and on his YT channel. I always enjoy watching VETOED and found myself enjoy watching the settings. As to how they play for competitive no idea but I do like them. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

I enjoyed the No Radar gameplay from yesterday, it was fun and entertaining(more so than regular HCS Halo 5). If no radar was to go in with the HCS(which is to my belief that it wont based on previous experience), more tuning of the settings will have to be done in order to create a  better balance to the game. Is it possible ? Sure it is. Is it likely that it will happen ?  I dont have hopes and I dont expect any of you to have hopes either.

That being said, still expecting that Mikwen post he promised a  wall of text about the No radar gameplay.

Yeah, I found out about Evolved settings after watching VETOED play them on stream and on his YT channel. I always enjoy watching VETOED and found myself enjoy watching the settings. As to how they play for competitive no idea but I do like them. 

Yeah man when we were playing together on his stream, everyone in there was having a good ass time. A lot of the chat seemed to enjoy it as well. The word competitive can kind of be misleading at times because a lot of people tend to associate competitive == MLG/HCS, which is not true. Checkers can be competitive but obviously it's just a fun game that people enjoy. Would it be cool to see them in some type of tournament environment? That would've been awesome actually. But none of us expected it. If anything, myself and @@OG Nick were going to host one completely self-funded, for free and just for fun on Beyond.

But the most we wanted out of these settings was a playlist and people to play them. I just hope that people can see past "this game sucks it plays like Halo X" because we're not trying to force anyone to like them. We expected some not to like it. But many others do enjoy it.