CyReN

HCS Pro League Fall 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think a single person in this community has ever said, "just get rid of radar and that's it." H5 has a myriad of issues obviously and with or without radar they all need to be addressed sooner rather than later.

However, in terms of a core element being removed rather than tweaked at the moment, isn't no radar a home run? Obviously other aspects need to be changed with it. Things like item placements, made placements, even some maps or spawns could change, but in terms of adding a deeper layer of competitiveness to the game isn't this no contest?

Are some pros playing devils advocate because they believe the community just want radar gone and absolutely nothing else changed? Because that couldn't be further from the truth. Is it because they don't want settings changed mid season? Which is understandable and I think most rational people believe these settings changes can only occur after the season finals in December.

I'm just finding it hard to see where any person who plays this game competitively is coming from even entertaining the idea that radar in it's current iteration is good for the competitiveness of the game. 

• Upvote (+1) 6

They are just a cool dumb variant nothing special, don't try to say that they are the best thing ever created. 

A cool dumb variant? So that's what settings that actually resemble a real Halo game are to modern Halo fans. Ok, bud. Have fun with your pea-shooter utility weapon and clusterfuck map flow. I'm sure you think H5 is a relevant eSport.

And please quote me saying at any point that they are the best thing ever created. It's Halo 5: Actually Halo Edition. That's the point. It's not like it magically becomes as deep as CE once you remove the gimmicks. It's not like core issues with the engine and balance magically disappear. Give me a break.

I hope the settings are better than your guys ability to get along with people here

When 343 Halo kids stop talking ignorant shit about the settings we took more time to tweak and play-test than 343 evidently has since the launch of this game (based on their results), maybe I will care about getting along with the "special" regulars in this thread. Remember when the competitive Halo community actually cared enough to push for improved settings instead of scoffing at the notion of removing the bullshit? I mean, you played Reach.

• Upvote (+1) 13
  • Downvote (-1) 9

Evolved settings are trash. Talk about a completely stripped down twilight zone H5. Has literally -5℅ of being picked up competitively or being played by a decent amount of people.

• Upvote (+1) 15
  • Downvote (-1) 18

However, in terms of a core element being removed rather than tweaked at the moment, isn't no radar a home run?

The best argument I've seen against it is that without radar, sprint will become obnoxious, with players not having to worry about appearing on radar. And let's face it. Sprint isn't going anywhere.

i don't like seeing "keep radar in, or take it out i dont care"

is it too much to ask that i want them to care? 

like what if tom brady got asked by the ref "hey tom we are either going to play with a football or watermelon today which one do you want?" and tom just goes "i dont care i just want to play football".

then the viewers get stuck watching tom brady try and throw touchdowns with a watermelon. 

pick a side. do research. have a strong opinion. 

i personally feel like he wants to keep it but doesnt want the backlash the community would give him.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Evolved settings are trash. Talk about a completely stripped down twilight zone H5. Has literally -5℅ of being picked up competitively or being played by a decent amount of people.

Wow, that last sentence sounds staggeringly like default H5. So, what's your point exactly? We never advocated for Evolved settings in HCS. At most we wanted one playlist for people who like actual Halo games.

This coming from the guy who played a couple of games at most, did poorly, bitched about no thrust, and then called it "too vanilla?" OK. Thanks for your valuable input. Get over yourself.

• Upvote (+1) 10
  • Downvote (-1) 5

The best argument I've seen against it is that without radar, sprint will become obnoxious, with players not having to worry about appearing on radar. And let's face it. Sprint isn't going anywhere.

I don't think it's necessarily a problem with sprint as it's more a problem with sprinting into spartan charge, which is something I think most people would like removed anyway. 

I agree sprint isn't going anywhere but you can punish sprinting with good communication and positioning. Maybe these changes mean certain maps don't work and others do, but that's the point of testing isn't it. 

My point was that all of these tests should begin with no radar in mind should they? If we tweak sprint or remove spartan charge or change weapon placements, should all of this be done with no radar in mind since it clearly makes the game more competitive? 

Exactly. But apparently we're the assholes for defending the settings we helped create from ignorant shit-talking. OK. Much love, modern competitive Halo community. You're great.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 10

I gotta say man it's pretty fucked up that you would say something like that after being invited to test these settings. You personally met the guy that made them and he was nothing but kind to you and respected your feedback. To come here and just say shit like this isn't cool at all. If you don't like it that's fine but come on.
  • Upvote (+1) 7

Your passive aggressive comments towards "343 halo fans" "modern community" members who you probably don't know are really great too. You just assume that since they dont love your guys vision of this game then they have to be 2016 kid or something... 

We get it your settings are real halo and you guys are real halo fans and anyone else isn't. They bash your settings you bash the halo's they like and the time period you think they got interested in halo. Maybe while they're getting over themselves you should hop on off that same horse :/

Lmao, the irony of you calling somebody out on being passive aggressive. There's a reason me and my friends can't stand to watch more than a couple of games of H5, it's a boring crouch/auto fest and you're obviously only on the other side of the fence because you guys are on top. But it's a trash watch right now, which means no new fans are staying interested, and old fans are on their way out.

• Upvote (+1) 7
  • Downvote (-1) 10

Lmao, the irony of you calling somebody out on being passive aggressive. 

Don't get too upset man it's just a forum

• Upvote (+1) 8
  • Downvote (-1) 4

Remove fuel rod on truth. Put Hydra on top there, and put a 5 round shotty bottom mid.

Remove storm riflees under the base, and put brute rifles.

Switch dmr for recon dmr on empire

Add 1 min to all SMG times on all maps

Add plasma pistol to under catwalk on Eden

Add mercy already

• Upvote (+1) 5

Don't get too upset man it's just a forum

I'm long past getting upset about anything Halo related, I've went from die hard long time player and viewer to cynic and non-player and it's not for nothing.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 2

I tried the evolved settings. They are shit for Halo 5. And these settings wouldn't magically make Halo popular again.

Shit for Halo 5? What does that even mean? It's either they're good, competitive and fun settings, or they're not.

I personally they're both very fun and very competitive, and I would know because I've played it a fair bit against people of similar skill on great custom maps.

And who said they'd magically make make Halo popular again? lmao what a ridiculous straw-man. It's just settings without any of the AA's and other bullshit, so if anyone want's to play old-school settings in Halo 5 (the currently most played Halo game if you didn't know) they can, and I think it'd make a great playlist for the many people like us, especially the ones who stopped playing.

Weird. When the no radar movement started to grow I immediately said that I don't think it works as good as people expect and got negged etc. I also talked about the radar that only shows Spartan Abilities and Sprint.

Because you're not giving it proper though. Like Infinity said removing radar would require a lot of gameplay aspects to change because of how influential radar can be. We still don't know what to expect because we havent made the changes to cater for it, but even then it still plays better and is miles more entertaining to watch which would go without saying anyway.

• Upvote (+1) 1

And who said they'd magically make make Halo popular again? lmao what a ridiculous straw-man. It's just settings without any of the AA's and other bullshit, so if anyone want's to play old-school settings in Halo 5 (the currently most played Halo game if you didn't know) they can, and I think it'd make a great playlist for the many people like us, especially the ones who stopped playing.

Honestly lethul don't you want halo to be bigger and less of a joke in the greater gaming community? Long run you'll make more money. More pros should be fighting for changes that will create more exciting skilled gameplay that more people will watch such as no sprint, no radar, lower bullet magnetism, a stronger utility weapon, etc. Halo used to be king on its own merit and now it's just a generic shooter kept alive by the devs throwing money at it.

This is what brought that up probably. Seems like he was going in that direction. 

Your passive aggressive comments towards "343 halo fans" "modern community" members who you probably don't know are really great too. You just assume that since they dont love your guys vision of this game then they have to be 2016 kid or something... 

We get it your settings are real halo and you guys are real halo fans and anyone else isn't. They bash your settings you bash the halo's they like and the time period you think they got interested in halo. Maybe while they're getting over themselves you should hop on off that same horse :/

I never said anyone couldn't enjoy Halo 5. I mean, clearly, at least a few thousand people still do or try to at this point, based on the match-making experience and mediocre viewership. Saying it doesn't play like Halo is just observing reality.

I've run out of patience for people accepting garbage in competitive Halo. H5 could easily be much better without even removing all of the gimmicks like Evolved does, but what has been improved in a year? A handful of things at best. Boy, it sure was exciting when Breakout was finally removed from HCS last decade. I was hoping to see something happen AFTER that. The Halo competitive community is complacent to the point that people are actually arguing AGAINST improvement now. That's a 343 Halo innovation, whether or not Reach or H4 was anyone's first Halo game. For fuck's sake, it's an uphill battle to remove RADAR of all things. What a joke.

Still, I'm sure 343 has all kinds of great ideas up their sleeves on par with two binaries on Coliseum.

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Look. Not to be rude, but why is anyone here putting any weight into the value of what pros say? What's the famous ogre 2 quote. "No bloom no skill" or something along those lines? No one here is doubting their skill in the game but if you actually believe their opinion of competitive merit of different mechanics holds any more value than any other member here you're delusional. Even forgers in Halo have learned to not listen to pro feedback when invited to test maps, we ignore what they said and watch the theatre replay and pull data from that.

Anyone with an ounce of sense knows that radar plays better. Just like we all know that a faster killing utility weapon would go miles to fixing H5's horrendous sandbox and movement options. If the pros don't agree then okay. We lose a valuable mouthpiece to 343 but that's all that is, and it's not like 343 listens anyways. There is such a thing as a wrong opinion.

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 5

A cool dumb variant? So that's what settings that actually resemble a real Halo game are to modern Halo fans. Ok, bud. Have fun with your pea-shooter utility weapon and clusterfuck map flow. I'm sure you think H5 is a relevant eSport.

And please quote me saying at any point that they are the best thing ever created. It's Halo 5: Actually Halo Edition. That's the point. It's not like it magically becomes as deep as CE once you remove the gimmicks. It's not like core issues with the engine and balance magically disappear. Give me a break.

When 343 Halo kids stop talking ignorant shit about the settings we took more time to tweak and play-test than 343 evidently has since the launch of this game (based on their results), maybe I will care about getting along with the "special" regulars in this thread. Remember when the competitive Halo community actually cared enough to push for improved settings instead of scoffing at the notion of removing the bullshit? I mean, you played Reach.

Dude you need to relax. I've played every halo since h1 and I hate the evolved settings. I thought it played like a poor attempt to try and bring back the feel of older halos. your ideal setting for the game don't make them the "real halo game settings" that just sounda ridiculous.

Talking down to and belittling everyone who disagrees with you, even people that spent time testing your settings, isn't going to get you anywhere.

• Upvote (+1) 9
  • Downvote (-1) 9

Great the artists have shown up now it's a whole party guys.

A couple of voices from 343 and we have a rave.

Great the artists have shown up now it's a whole party guys.

Careful, these artists are the reason games like Reach were even playable. We need our Forgers.
  • Upvote (+1) 3