CyReN

HCS Pro League Fall 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Does anybody know if the company TeamQuest has anything to do with the Halo Servers?

Is Str8 rippen even an org. I thought it was just a team. That's why they never had any other teams in other games.

I don't disagree. Stability should be a priority since day one and I'm sure it is. Working for a tech company that serves a crap-ton of visitors a day and constantly pushing out new updates has really shown me how sometimes things just don't break. I'm not trying to make excuses for 343 or MS here but I'm just speaking from personal experience at Twitch. Even then I'm not that qualified to talk that much about it since I work in esports and not engineering (nor will I ever because I'm not a smart person).

With that said the glaring issues were stability and retention. I'm sure thousands of people play Halo on a daily basis but keeping the game fun and engaging for them is a challenge in itself. Especially when the game is facing some stiff competition in the console shooter market this season.

Just because I don't cast Halo at the moment doesn't mean I join an "I hate 343" bandwagon but as a fan of the game I want to see it thrive until the next release. Like Snakebite said, removing radar will not save Halo and it will mostly appease the people on this forum. Beyond that it wouldn't really change the general players perspective on the game. They will probably just not play Arena because radar isn't there any more and even then I can't say that with 100% certainty because I'm not a wizard. 

If you were hoping for a tell-all it's just not going to happen because I've had a great time casting/working on Halo and it's a true labor of love for me which is why I do my best to keep up with it as a fan.

To be clear: I would like radar to be removed for HCS because I think it's good to change things up.

Not a wizard? Funny, I think I know someone in the Halo community who can help us with that part...

With suggestions of testing, has it been mentioned if any new gametypes may be added in future?

Like Oddball or Extraction.

Would love to see either of these tested out. If possible.

To be fair though, we've tested No-Radar.... since Combat Evolved. You can't just come here and tell me Radar is good just because.

The argument I'm reading lately which I agree to some extent is that Radar could be beneficial for Halo 5 due to the general problems that the game has, but there are more Cons than Pros. You can't just add slide and thruster pack out of nowhere and then add Radar while defending it saying: "The game has these Spartan Abilities so we need Radar to help people see" 

EDIT: I really don't wanna talk about settings that much, it has its own thread; HOWEVER, I'd love to see some serious changes and some acknowledgment from the developers. I strongly believe that No-Radar (and other Abilities turned off) would bring a very interesting... shift, in Halo 5's competitive gameplay. It'd make the matches way more interesting, imo.

This may have already been mentioned, but I wanted to point it out if not. Wasn't there a small tournament before H5 launched, might have been Gamescom, where they were using dev builds of the game and they had the radar on but said it was supposed to be off so they covered them with stickers on the monitors? Why did they flip-flop on that decision for competitive play immediately after launch?

• Upvote (+1) 2

This may have already been mentioned, but I wanted to point it out if not. Wasn't there a small tournament before H5 launched, might have been Gamescom, where they were using dev builds of the game and they had the radar on but said it was supposed to be off so they covered them with stickers on the monitors? Why did they flip-flop on that decision for competitive play immediately after launch?

That was for the MCC Gamescom Invitational. Halo 5 competitive has had radar from the start.

That was for the MCC Gamescom Invitational. Halo 5 competitive has had radar from the start.

Bravo points it out at 5:45

• Upvote (+1) 9

Okay, so now I see why you guys block Reiku.

I read that whole conversation and I think I need to go lay down for 10 minutes

• Upvote (+1) 3

To be fair though, we've tested No-Radar.... since Combat Evolved. You can't just come here and tell me Radar is good just because.

The argument I'm reading lately which I agree to some extent is that Radar could be beneficial for Halo 5 due to the general problems that the game has, but there are more Cons than Pros. You can't just add slide and thruster pack out of nowhere and then add Radar while defending it saying: "The game has these Spartan Abilities so we need Radar to help people see" 

EDIT: I really don't wanna talk about settings that much, it has its own thread; HOWEVER, I'd love to see some serious changes and some acknowledgment from the developers. I strongly believe that No-Radar (and other Abilities turned off) would bring a very interesting... shift, in Halo 5's competitive gameplay. It'd make the matches way more interesting, imo.

It may not be what has been around in competitive Halo but Radar has been in the most popular playlists of each respective online Halo game since launch - it defines the preferred mass experience.

The competitive community have not been unwilling bystanders in the process, the idea of a unified experience has been popular here (until the last few months) in an attempt to a) entice a larger comp audience and b) work on the base level settings from the inside. There is no need for acknowledgement, the developer and the community were working along the same path with different expectations. It's not suddenly a revelation that the comp community in general don't like Radar / automatics / Sprint / AAs etc, just that it was tolerated for the trade off.

OK so the comp community has had enough with the trade off and now wants different settings, lets not act like 343 should suddenly start 'acknowledging' (apologizing) or even instantly do a U-turn.

• Downvote (-1) 2

10 years ago, if I went to the MLG forums and said that the competitive playlist for Halo 5 would have things such as radar, sprint, spartan charges, assault rifles, homing missiles(hydra) and SMGs, I probably would have been banned by the mods with the reason: "Please no trolling.  No one would ever be dumb enough to make that happened."  

Present day...

It has happened.  

No split screen.  Sprinting all day.  Radar in the most competitive playlist.  Warm up?  Nah, you don't need to practice your aim, just whip out the AR and crouch in a corner!  

We should be grateful for... ???  

• Upvote (+1) 5

I don't disagree. Stability should be a priority since day one and I'm sure it is. Working for a tech company that serves a crap-ton of visitors a day and constantly pushing out new updates has really shown me how sometimes things just don't break. I'm not trying to make excuses for 343 or MS here but I'm just speaking from personal experience at Twitch. Even then I'm not that qualified to talk that much about it since I work in esports and not engineering (nor will I ever because I'm not a smart person).

With that said the glaring issues were stability and retention. I'm sure thousands of people play Halo on a daily basis but keeping the game fun and engaging for them is a challenge in itself. Especially when the game is facing some stiff competition in the console shooter market this season.

Just because I don't cast Halo at the moment doesn't mean I join an "I hate 343" bandwagon but as a fan of the game I want to see it thrive until the next release. Like Snakebite said, removing radar will not save Halo and it will mostly appease the people on this forum. Beyond that it wouldn't really change the general players perspective on the game. They will probably just not play Arena because radar isn't there any more and even then I can't say that with 100% certainty because I'm not a wizard. 

If you were hoping for a tell-all it's just not going to happen because I've had a great time casting/working on Halo and it's a true labor of love for me which is why I do my best to keep up with it as a fan.

To be clear: I would like radar to be removed for HCS because I think it's good to change things up.

Hopefully my post didn't come across as attacking you, it wasn't. I just didn't get your post. Like theres nothing we can do about the games stability or longevity lol, so I just didn't get the post. We've been asking for party restrictions since Reach...(along with proper/stricter skill based matchmaking). Which both of which combined would go a LONG way in helping with longevity/replayability. Then there are a ton of small things that should be addressed that help with those things (and small things add up). Playlist management being one of those small things to give an example.

And I don't think, nor do I think anyone here thinks no radar is going to "save Halo". Its just about damn time its being pushed for because it shouldn't have been on in the first place. Competitive Halo has been around a long ass time, there's some things that are "tried and true", or things we just know will or won't work and its frustrating having to fight for this shit. Like its a fucking battle. Thats even before considering the fact that we seem to not have a voice at all with anything, 343 does what 343 wants and shoves it down our throats. There are probably a bunch of small things that could be tweaked with the game that make it play better, more enjoyable to play etc. This site/community has probably been pushing for it for awhile, and its probably been ignored since then too. (Small things as in moving a weapon to a different location from where its at currently, or reducing ammo, adding or removing a powerweapon or powerup, adjusting spawns etc). Small things add up.

Side tangent, I disagree with the assumption that removing radar will put off everyone not involved/interested in the comp scene. It seems to be the default assumption from everyone, that a "casual" player will see no radar (with everything else the same) and instantly say "fuck this shit, its too different". To keep things simple and short, for all intent and purposes no radar simply makes it harder, putting more emphasis on teamwork, communication and coordination. I don't see why this can't be their first line of thinking. They could be put off with it instantly or want nothing to do with it after trying it, sure, thats fine but I think its just as easy that they'd simply think its harder too. I just don't get why the assumption is that their initial reception of it will be to instantly dismiss it.

I completely forgot about that.  I wonder what caused the change of heart? Bravo seemed anxious even mentioning radar in a competitive match, and now radar is a permanent feature.

OK so the comp community has had enough with the trade off and now wants different settings, lets not act like 343 should suddenly start 'acknowledging' (apologizing) or even instantly do a U-turn.

When I say I'm expecting 343 to acknowledge it I don't mean them Apologizing or saying 'Wow, we never had any idea No-Radar was in people's mind, lets change all our settings asap' But more like 'We read the Poll - We're discussing the possible removal of Radar in the next Season or whatever - We know what you guys talking about - etc' just like Che did when people started asking about Breakout after the first poll.

It may not be what has been around in competitive Halo but Radar has been in the most popular playlists of each respective online Halo game since launch - it defines the preferred mass experience.

I can't argue, you're right. I think all the social playlists had Radar? So I completely understand if Radar is still a thing in the next few Halos, but I strongly believe forcing it in every playlist/gametype - including the competitives one - is not ideal.

There are 56 Halo pros currently (32 NA, 24 EU.)

The only con I see is 343 trying to sell Halo 5.

P6ToO.gif

Let's hope that 343 doesn't half ass it if they do something about radar. 

People are pointing out that there are bigger problems than just radar. Ok, why not work on both? After they do something about radar(hopefully it's something that works) I don't want them to just sit back on the other stuff just because they did us a favor with Radar.

We wanted Open LANs. We got them but both are West coast. We got "Deal with it, better than no LANs."

IMO It's a lack of communication and polling from the 343 side that gets them in so much trouble. 

It's a lack of communication and polling from the 343 side that gets them in so much trouble. 

Lack of thought and intuition as well.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Radar can kinda work in some games, but thats only because they've had it in there for so long as such (Call of Duty mostly). There's no point adapting to a system where the change makes gameplay slower on the competitive level.

If I wanted to watch slow gameplay on what's normally quite a fast paced game constantly, id make a composition of Pit Team Slayer from every single Halo 3 MLG event and enjoy 4 days of crouching around for next overshield.

There are 56 Halo pros currently (32 NA, 24 EU.)

The only con I see is 343 trying to sell Halo 5.

Can audley get banned again for this?

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1