CyReN

HCS Pro League Fall 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

All 3 if possible some how. If not H2/CE.

But all games is what I tried pushing for with MCC (before it came out, when we first got HCS news) because I legitimately thought it'd be the best way going forward. Letting players compete in the game they most wanted to play, in some capacity. I think it shows to outside perspectives very easily when players in a community don't enjoy the game that much (for example default Reach, a lot of players said it was a chore to play, including pros). Why would people want to be involved with a game/community when the community doesn't even enjoy it? They wouldn't and it probably shows easily. But in the end we were forced with H2A, not that it mattered when MCC turned out to be....well..MCC. Would love to see how all 3 being ran would turn, if it were possible.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

When MCC was the flagship game I always wanted a showmatch where a team of vets played against a team of newcomers in a series featuring each game on the disc.

• Upvote (+1) 6

When mcc was the main game I wanted at least a showcase match where game 1 was a ce game, 2 was a halo 2 game, game 3 was a halo 3 game. And game 4 was h2a with game five being halo 4. Jk game 5 could be ce again.

Lol why are people voting from most to least competetive? HCE would be sooooooo gooooooood on LAN

• Upvote (+1) 3

I think a lot of people vote based on where their best memories were. For many (like myself) thats H3 because it's where I kind of 'got my start' in Esports. I played a lot of H2 as well, and love it. Was, and still am awful at CE. Like seriously awful.

Whatever is voted the most doesnt necessarily mean that's what game we'll definitely do something for. We are planning an event though :)

Do what MLG did back at Philly 05 and do a CE and H2/3 event simultaneously. Ignore the part where they had all-TS settings and gametypes like "all covenant weapons" though.

• Upvote (+1) 2

There is no point in voting for anything besides Halo 3 unfortunately because kids think it's tha best Halo evurr.

Sorry for being a BK but Halo 3 is GOAT.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 6

I feel like the only part of Halo 3 that really holds up well today is the graphics (which honestly look better to me than Halo 5's).

When it was out it was the tits but playing it now everything seems fucked, for lack of a better way to describe it.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I voted for Halo 3 because I think a Halo 3 tourney would have way better of a showing than h1/h2 would (although h1 is my favorite game)

• Upvote (+1) 4

I voted for Halo 3 because I think a Halo 3 tourney would have way better of a showing than h1/h2 would (although h1 is my favorite game)

I think a Halo 3 LAN would have a very real chance at having more teams show up than HCS Orange County. Especially if it got the same amount of promotion on HCS media that the OC event got (which it wouldn't).

• Upvote (+1) 2

If H3A is actually a thing, and they don't make the game hitscan instead of projectile based, I 10/10 will not buy or play. I had enough "fun" trying to play the original online.

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 2

I feel like the only part of Halo 3 that really holds up well today is the graphics (which honestly look better to me than Halo 5's).

When it was out it was the tits but playing it now everything seems fucked, for lack of a better way to describe it.

The art design of that game is phenomenal. Its just cartoonish enough to age extremely well but it also has straight lines and well lit areas so that everything pops and is easily readable at a glance. No other Halo game has shit on what H3 did as far as visual design goes 

• Upvote (+1) 7

Halo pros can't average more than 3k viewers but have demands on demands. It's hilarious to watch.

??? How is twitch views relevant

??? How is twitch views relevant

Yes twitch views are irrelevant to to sales of the games/DLC. They just throw million dollar tournaments so gamers can support their families.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 24

Halo 5 is 343's child they will 100% drag out the competitive scene until H6. Campaign remaster is the absolute most I can expect.

I'd put money on a full remaster. Too big of an opportunity for a cash grab by 343 and would also be a great market test to see how that style of Halo would hold up in today's world.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

If it's 2v2's: CE

If there is FFA included AND 4's : H2

If it's only 4v4: H3, maybe H2.

I never really liked watching 4v4 CE. Maybe because of the fast kill times, or because it usually had all 4 screens streamed in one view so it wasn't as easy to catch everything. Loved watched 2v2s though.

From a viewing prospective, as I'm Canadian and obviously can't attend :(

• Upvote (+1) 1

Since no one else wants to say it I guess I will.

343 should never have been in control of competitive settings in the first place if the community had control over settings we wouldn't have to deal with garbage maps like stasis, riptide, and uncompetitive elements like automatics wouldn't be in the game period same goes for Breakout. and we wouldn't have to jump through all these hoops to get updates. 

The competitive settings should be managed by the community and not 343. 

When you say community, who would you actually put in charge of it?

Because back when Ghostayame was running it, the debates were just as bad as what we have now (obviously minus radar and stuff). 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Mah notification box guys. Help.

Passionate developers who are fan orientated is what these games have. People need to understand that competitive, at it's core, means "balanced". Infinite Warfare is not doing well from what I've seen of some of the Pro players. I've only heard bitching about all the random shit that's in the game.

At the moment, Halo is not balanced. Therefore not competitive. It's not the other way around.

I don't think it's a coincidence that the correlation between LoL being the most played game of all time and it's huge focus on eSpots is a coincidence. I played some LoL ranked and wanted to get into silver despite the fact that I didn't even really like the game. In Halo, which I like a lot more, I find myself not caring about getting into Diamond (I'm a plat).

I also feel like the developers don't care about the game enough to update us on the happity haps either, whereas the CSGO/LoL/DoTA dev's update and interact with the community minimum of weekly.

No man. Compared to those PC games you mentioned, you can't ignore the fact that Halo's audience is more diverse in terms of what they expect from their games. Esports is what attracted the majority of LoL, CSGo, Dota fans to those games. Halo's audience is full of people who are attracted by different aspects: some just like the campaign, others like the Arena, some like to play forge minigames, some like Esports, some like machining, etc)

Even at the peak of Halo's esport popularity, most of its fans were apathetic to the Esports scene. So the idea that merging the settings between standard play and Esports play would lead to LoL-style growth would inevitably lead to failure.

Halo 5, for the most part is balanced. But it's balanced around concepts that aren't competitively viable. Removing radar doesn't make the game more balanced. It simply tunes the meta to reward movement, skill, and coordination. Instead the meta currently rewards strategies and tactics that aren't difficult to pull off or entertaining to watch.

When you say community, who would you actually put in charge of it?

Because back when Ghostayame was running it, the debates were just as bad as what we have now (obviously minus radar and stuff). 

....Team Beyond? Besides, I don't think anyone thinks that'll end all debate. What you just described is already better than what we have, since right now we do have to debate "radar and stuff"

Has 343 even acknowledged that Ghost Melee's are a problem and it's a hit detection issue not a connection issue since it occurred on LAN as well but even if they do it probably won't be fixed for months since 343 stopped doing monthly patches/updates.  :kappa:

I haven't heard anything in the way of acknowledgement but its becoming worse for me.  Had 4 ghost melees in one game last night and at least one in every game (only played about 5 games as it got too frustrating).  

I think a lot of people vote based on where their best memories were. For many (like myself) thats H3 because it's where I kind of 'got my start' in Esports. I played a lot of H2 as well, and love it. Was, and still am awful at CE. Like seriously awful.

Whatever is voted the most doesnt necessarily mean that's what game we'll definitely do something for. We are planning an event though :)

Only 9% for CE after 460+ votes :wutface:

If it's 2v2's: CE

If there is FFA included AND 4's : H2

If it's only 4v4: H3, maybe H2.

I never really liked watching 4v4 CE. Maybe because of the fast kill times, or because it usually had all 4 screens streamed in one view so it wasn't as easy to catch everything. Loved watched 2v2s though.

From a viewing prospective, as I'm Canadian and obviously can't attend :(

CE ffa is awesome.  I played day after day of that with friends back in the day.  4v4 CE only works on certain maps as many are a little too small but when it works, it WORKS!

• Upvote (+1) 1

Pro majority opinion lined up with stuff I've been saying -- No Radar, autos are okay to exist but need nerfed.

Yep, I have no problem with autos in the game as long as they are nerfed into oblivion. Something like the strength of Halo 1 anniversary's ar compared to its pistol would be great.

• Upvote (+1) 2

....Team Beyond? Besides, I don't think anyone thinks that'll end all debate. What you just described is already better than what we have, since right now we do have to debate "radar and stuff"

Team Beyond as in @@CyReN and @@Saucey

Team Beyond as in @@Ugug and @@Cooper?

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 1