CyReN

HCS Pro League Fall 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

From reading Snakebite's tweets yesterday, it seems the problem that some pros have with this is that $3000 is also how much 3rd place gets. If all of the pro teams were to show up, the AM team that wins the open bracket still makes more than 4 pro teams even if they get first rounded in the next bracket. Now, does that sound right to you?

I understand why it is being done, not a lot of teams have been showing up and this is really good incentive for AM teams. However, this isn't the incentive we need.

My opinion would most likely change if I were in their shoes and had their perspective. I won't pretend to know all the details and I would say I'm a bit out of the loop regarding this situation.

I just feel that there is a long list of other things that are more important to fix than taking away $3,000 from an amateur prize pool. The overall open events have been blasted for not offering enough money. Now the fact that the am bracket has a separate, small prize pool is just ludicrous because AM teams shouldn't earn more than Pro teams. Is this just always about the money? That's partially my point. Do I think it's the most fair system in the world? No. Do I think it creates incentive for more am teams to sign up? Yes. Do I think there is correlation between the number of AMs that show up and whether UGC will continue to run events? Yes.

I feel that the entire system last year benefited pros and players who had a lot of time to grind a game for an online pro league. I don't think that does anything for the amateur scene and part of my disinterest in competing in H5 this year comes from a complete lack of giving AMs incentive to break out. If these events were offered last year, there is a very good chance that I would still be playing this game competitively. Instead, I had to sit through an entire year playing a game competitively online.  I can't be the only one in this position either.

• Upvote (+1) 7

So he can act with proper direction?

I just remember seeing the first cutscene he was in (the one put into H2A) and questioning how anyone decided that that cutscene was good enough to ship. Didn't they replace his voice with another actor for H5?

• Upvote (+1) 1

I still don't get this rule. Is this a reddit thing or an /r/halo thing? 

This is like two kids having a conversation in the lunch room, and when a third joins in the conversation, they stop talking about it and pretend there was nothing being said. It's kind of hilarious.

It's a sitewide rule but it's up to mods of specific subs to actually enforce it. 

I disagree with the implementation too, but rules are rules. 

OpTic not going to UGC is a real bummer man...

But hey, at least Huke can finally win his first LAN tourney!

if we go lol

• Upvote (+1) 7
  • Downvote (-1) 17

OpTic not going to UGC is a real bummer man...

But hey, at least Huke can finally win his first LAN tourney!

hubris

• Upvote (+1) 1

Optic/CLG already have a legacy. And the big reputation upgrades happen from winning sanctioned tournaments. 

i guess i'm talking more personal legacy than anything else. even just appearing at these open events to spectate and meet fans elevates you from great player to face of halo. a poster a few pages back talked about seeing strongside and elamite just coming to watch at a smaller event and how that elevated his experience. plus by competing at events like these, it brings legitimacy to the non sanctioned events. by coming out, it shows that these types of events can be successful and SHOULD be sanctioned and supported in the future.

ps-thanks for having a conversation with me and not dismissing me entireley

• Upvote (+1) 4

I just remember seeing the first cutscene he was in (the one put into H2A) and questioning how anyone decided that that cutscene was good enough to ship. Didn't they replace his voice with another actor for H5?

They replaced his VA with Ike Amadi, who is a fantastic VA and needs more work in the industry.  I kind of hope that going forward Ike replaces Mike Colter as Locke's motion capture actor too tbh.  

I don't think prize money is the issue this season, the problems are the locations, TOs and formatting.

If a pro wants to complain about prize money, then they can stay home and let someone else win it. Whatever.

• Upvote (+1) 6

xb1 is a potato, it just can't handle halo 5 split screen

it's not gonna happen

now h6....

Honestly, people shouldn't be thinking about the improvements H6 might bring to the scene yet. We are still most likely 2 years away from it's release at best. 

Not really targeted to you, just have been seeing a lot of H6 talks recently. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

So far from reading the replies to my post I have learned:

I am completely logical for some of the reasons I gave to why we might not go.

Us pros are killing halo/are to blame for not supporting our game

Us pros aren't to blame

Go to the event to further our legacy and not care about the money

Go to the event to since it is 10k for first

how sports work and how the real world works

Did I miss anything xD /end sarcasm

Please stop killing Halo

• Upvote (+1) 7

Us pros aren't to blame 

fix mcc

• Upvote (+1) 4

i guess i'm talking more personal legacy than anything else. even just appearing at these open events to spectate and meet fans elevates you from great player to face of halo. a poster a few pages back talked about seeing strongside and elamite just coming to watch at a smaller event and how that elevated his experience. plus by competing at events like these, it brings legitimacy to the non sanctioned events. by coming out, it shows that these types of events can be successful and SHOULD be sanctioned and supported in the future.

ps-thanks for having a conversation with me and not dismissing me entireley

These type of events should get a ton of support because if MS decided that Halo esports is not worth the investment and the money bubble its riding on pops there wont be a grass roots scene to fall back on. We are promised nothing beyond the 2nd worlds event and we have no info on that.

• Upvote (+1) 1

don't expect the community to blindly support you if you don't support the community (ola doesn't apply for some reason)

it's a give and take 

I think there was a decent amount of people who viewed him in a different light after he made his comments to the community. Also didn't help that Towey had asked the community for help on Ola's behalf after those comments. I think that often players who are established at being amazing in their sport/game end up getting a pass sometimes for what they say/do.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Us pros aren't to blame 

ur the reason mcc shipped the way it did

I think there was a decent amount of people who viewed him in a different light after he made his comments to the community. Also didn't help that Towey had asked the community for help on Ola's behalf after those comments. I think that often players who are established at being amazing in their sport/game end up getting a pass sometimes for what they say/do.

what were these comments by ola?

what were these comments by ola?

I don't remember the quote word for word or the context, but it was basically along the lines of fuck the community.

Us pros aren't to blame 

you forgot about dre

• Upvote (+1) 3

If I remember right a lot of people were getting personal and saying he had mental instability after an odd stream. I really don't blame him, and yet he's still one of the most humble and nicest pro's out there.

• Upvote (+1) 4

If I remember right a lot of people were getting personal and saying he had mental instability after an odd stream. I really don't blame him, and yet he's still one of the most humble and nicest pro's out there.

I remember that happening, but for some reason didn't feel that it was in response to that. I thought he had said that beforehand but it's been a while.

I can't really respect what he said for that particular statement, but I do respect some other things he has said and done. This weekend they got taken to game 5 in a series against Most Wanted, which was an AM team that came out of nowhere. He could have chalked it up to a million different excuses, but instead he gave the other teams props, was impressed, seemed happy to play them, hoped they stuck together etc. To me that is a great way of a pro showing support for an AM team and the community overall.

• Upvote (+1) 9

xb1 is a potato, it just can't handle halo 5 split screen

it's not gonna happen

now h6....

It absolutely can happen.  They need to give up on the "60 FPS ALL THE TIME OR ITS SHIT" idea.  Not to beat this dead horse but... Gears 4 looks amazing and has SS, but they cut the framerate to 30. That is an easy caveat to explain to people.  "Running split screen will cap framerate at 30 for a more even experience".  They said up until a few weeks before launch that there would be 2 player SS, which tells me that they were close to getting it or under "negotiations" about what compromises they were willing to advertise.  We don't have it because someone made the decision to cut it, not because they can't do it.

They did yeah.  They said it was for availability reasons, but the other guy is just a better voice actor. Mike Colter is an IRL actor, so i don't mean any disrespect.  Voice acting is an entirely different skillset. For those that are interested in the voice acting stuff, check this out http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2113683/ its pretty good at demonstrating that irl actors and voice actors cant just trade places and i think its on netflix right now.