CyReN

HCS Pro League Fall 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

So, in the online league, which most people treat half-assed, people should be rewarded for taking extra preparation to pick their gametypes...

But offline, at LANs, where people actually view the stakes as higher, teams should be at the whims of the tournament organizer's arbitrary assignment of gametypes?

No matter how prepared you are, you're always going to have good and bad gametypes as a team.  Having vetoes allows teams to mitigate their weaknesses or attack a team's strengths, and ensures that when you get into a series, you're not randomly going to be playing a series strictly of your worst gametypes because Joe Tournament Organizer arbitrarily picked gametypes.  Teams are going to be on relatively even footing for gametypes (or able to get an advantage for themselves if the other team is less prepared) rather than a randomized state depending on variables out of their control.

My argument would be that in Pro League you know your opponent at least a week in advance and you can prepare accordingly. That's not the case as you go deeper in a  tournament setting. Obviously it wouldn't be randomized or arbitrarily (Old MLG events certainly weren't), but there's a quality to being able to play every game type available (except broken ones). Also you'd know the game types for each round a week in advance, not like last minute.

I've always thought Vetoes cut the skill and adaptability in half. In theory a team that is terrible at a game type can just veto it all the time and never get better at it (not really the case yet in Pro League but could be an issue later). Frank's idea is great though as it would add more content, and I'd love to see Bravo's face when Stasis flag is the first Veto every time. 

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

As long as they have the option to veto Stasis, I'm for it.

Stasis is that one map that we've never seen played since it was put in the settings right?

• Upvote (+1) 1

fathom ctf.... kill me

Lol. It's not particularly entertaining to watch a stalemate for 15 minutes.

• Upvote (+1) 1

That's why I love Fathom CTF, what a fucking game

• Upvote (+1) 3

@@Mikwen good job being the worst player on your team  :kappa:

Huke is also impressing me with his non-slaying stuff. Reminds me a bit of Heinz - great shot but will do anything to win.

• Downvote (-1) 1

One request:

If nV were to take this to a second best of seven, I think that all gametypes played in the first best of seven should be automatically banned. This should be the rule in place for all LAN grand finals, imo. I'm in favor of the veto system as it is currently utilized, btw.

This isn't going to matter though as OpTic will roll.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I like that they're taking community suggestions. This is how we know what works and what doesn't.

Not sure if this works, but it's interesting to watch.

• Upvote (+1) 1

While I appreciate the effort, I think they should just put it up on screen with graphics and let commentators talk about the choices while players make them off screen. Like the video linked earlier with CoD.

But Ola on screen always makes me laugh, so I'm somewhat conflicted.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Interesting idea to show the vetoes, a little awkward and disorganised but something that I could get used to seeing.

• Upvote (+1) 4

When @@LethuL takes the last paper towels while your hands are still wet :mj: I will never forget this. I will NEVER forgive you.

Dry your hands on his shirt

• Upvote (+1) 5

pretty sure we meant some kind of live graphic veto process not awkwardly standing on stage in the dark reading maps off a phone. Its still cool that Phade tried to incorporate his interpretation of it so quickly though

• Upvote (+1) 1