CyReN

HCS Pro League Fall 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Well, maybe not the easiest because you have to scroll so far to find it :/ Halo just isn't as popular as we would like to see. You can't have a thriving competitive scene without a popular game.

The whole point is MLG could do it better and have the best track record to prove it.  Not working with MLG because their parent org is a competitor sounds like a compulsive decision by an executive that doesn't take into account what is best for this scene.  MLG is their best possible strategic partner and they could find ways to overcome the conflict of interest.  

• Upvote (+1) 1

I love how T2 comes in here saying we need to be more constructive and not be vulgar then he insults literally everyone on here.

classic T2

i love the guy, hes a legend and a big influence on me, but he can be pretty unself aware at times

ultimately he's on our side, cause he loves halo, whether he realizes it or not

• Upvote (+1) 7

wait why are we watching MW vs Carnage when Liquid's playing Ace/Contra's team? i mean no offense it just seems clear which match is more interesting

• Upvote (+1) 5

So is Infused dropping Havoc for Doodle?

They scrimmed XMEN with Doodle and I had 3 of the 4 Infused players on my team in Arena and Havoc was on the opposition team.

This is the type of obvious stuff nobody should have to point out...

If only we would of had a feedback thread!!!!!

Wait a minute...

• Upvote (+1) 8

let me stop you here, MLG was never even given the chance to make an offer

i thought this forum was "unprofessional" anyways

why are you even bothering with us

Why do you think MLG never made an offer?

• Downvote (-1) 23

Just so you guys know, toxic or not I love you all the same and I'm incredibly proud of the community we built here since 2013. :)

Even @@Cooper too.

Carry on.

Who was cooper? I'm newer, so I don't think I was around for that.

I still can't believe this is a HCS sanctioned event. Feels very depressing to watch.

It's significantly improved from Friday and yesterday. Don't really see much wrong with today if I'm honest - sure, its not Worlds or Regionals level of production but its pretty fun watching a LAN again. Idk, maybe I woke up in a better mood today or something but, as much as I'm 100% pushing 343 hard to let MLG back in the scene, this is what we have for now and it's enjoyable enough :)

• Upvote (+1) 3

Look, Halo just isn't as popular as it was during its prime. It's fine to think that competitive settings contribute to that lack of popularity, but I think the much larger point is that the FPS genre has mostly passed Halo by, and that poor releases such as Halo 4 and MCC have dropped us very far down the average consumer's FPS list. I am extremely confident in saying that if a perfectly working Halo 2 or Halo 3 was released today, it wouldn't be more popular and would almost definitely be less popular than Halo 5 because it wouldn't have gimmicky-to-addicting features like REQ points and REQ packs, which are absolutely necessary in driving game popularity today. As was mentioned earlier, the hype of a $2.5 million prize pool brought much of the viewership we saw during the HWC.

However, I don't think our situation is doomed. Every single person here just wants Halo to be popular again, despite our differences in what we think needs to be done to make that happen. But maybe everyone will be happier if we lower our expectations. I think that a perfectly working Halo 5 with competitive settings agreed to by the whole community, with a working spectator mode, good connections, no aiming issues, and a handful of open LANs always around the corner, managed by MLG or whoever can do a solid job, would STILL not make it more popular than a heavy hitter like CS:GO or Overwatch or even CoD, and those are just the FPS games. 

But, that would lead to a happy, satisfied, and respectable community that actively promotes its competitive scene. And we could build upon that and continue our way up. Maybe by Halo 6 we can talk about how to be #1 again, at least on console. But for now, the focus should absolutely be getting everyone on board with the product we have. I think that all of us need to look inwards and say, "I don't care what our popularity is, I just want a product that I can be proud of supporting." So when I see posts from The Simms about what settings we want, I think that's the way forward, BUT only if we don't have unrealistic expectations of an explosion in popularity just because we removed radar and MLG came back to run LANs.

tl;dr: we absolutely need this grassroots effort to improve the game by being vocal as a community. But no matter what happens to the game, if we have extremely high expectations of these improvements exploding our popularity, we will be disappointed no matter what changes are made. 

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 1

At what point do we realize that reasonable feedback isn't going to cut it anymore? Maybe it's the fact that this game is hardly better off settings-wise than it was on release? Or maybe it's when that feedback gets continuously mocked on twitter for cheap low effort points by the devs?

If the pros really want change, and I do emphasize the pros, then maybe it's time to start going public with their own feedback and desires for this game, and what they feel the issues are to some communities that are less in-the-know about the competitive aspect of the game.

I don't think the feedback here really matters outside of "no Riptide" or "no Torque", or any other hilariously bad ideas for this game. Even then, I'm not sure if it was us, or the pros giving their thoughts behind the scenes. It seems to me as if 343/MS are "minimizing risk" by catering as much as they can to the "greater" community, despite the fact that the vast majority of players don't care or don't know enough to have a thought-out opinion on what competitive gameplay should be like.

If 343 is avoiding feedback, then make them unable to avoid it. Note that I'm not saying they should sound like jackasses, but more like put their criticism in more popular or well known communities.

• Upvote (+1) 2

wait why are we watching MW vs Carnage when Liquid's playing Ace/Contra's team? i mean no offense it just seems clear which match is more interesting

Because this is an Open LAN and AM teams should get some love too?

Nah imagine.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Why do you think MLG never made an offer?

Why do YOU think they didn't? You seem to think you have a better feel for the situation than the rest of us.
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1