CyReN

HCS Pro League Fall 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

On a bit more of a positive note that I just thought about recently:

The advent of Halo 5 Forge really makes Halo more viable as a tournament game. This last spring, while I was still in college, I tried to get an H5 tournament together. We had a big Smash scene, and using some of their infrastructure (streaming, locale, tables, chairs, etc.) I was hoping to set up even a one off tournament, but I quickly realized how impossible anything more than a 1v1 tournament would be. Not enough people had Xbox's anymore, getting people to bring TV's to a function was weirdly hard (Smash basically just had to buy all of their CRT's from goodwill those lucky bastards), and you had the issue of no LAN and people needing to have Xbox Live. Now that you can play customs on laptops, a lot of those issues would be circumvented and it would be drastically easier to put something together. Point being that the PC launch has already made it easier to get smaller scale tournaments together, and I hope to see people pull that off.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Team Beyond hosts those threads after every event, or are you thinking of a general community feedback thread to go alongside event feedback threads?

I'm talking about a master thread that competes with this thread as the main area for people to come and discuss what they are interested in. However, seems like I'm being bashed for my post which is hilarious considering how much effort I'm putting into trying to help Halo. I guess I'll just continue to do my job and will stop coming here as often because I have a lot to say and this forum does nothing but bring me down at times. The attitudes of some people just ruin it for me. 

• Upvote (+1) 12
  • Downvote (-1) 8

I'm talking about a master thread that competes with this thread as the main area for people to come and discuss what they are interested in. However, seems like I'm being bashed for my post which is hilarious considering how much effort I'm putting into trying to help Halo. I guess I'll just continue to do my job and will stop coming here as often because I have a lot to say and this forum does nothing but bring me down at times. The attitudes of some people just ruin it for me. 

I feel like I can disagree with you and still love the work you do casting. Please don't pull a 343 and stop posting here at the first sign of controversy. 

• Upvote (+1) 10
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Everybody getting sensitive about their feelings in here, and I just want Halo to be higher than 2 freakin' K viewers at the beginning of Championship Sunday at a sanctioned "LAN" event that half of the pro teams don't go to.

FeelsReallyBadMan

• Upvote (+1) 5

For the record, I love your casting and the work you and Elamite have been doing this season is great.

I just disagree with your assessment that this community is a "cesspool of negativity". Sure there are trolls here and there and sometimes people let their passion for Halo say some pretty harsh stuff but it's because we've been dealing with the same problems since Halo freaking Reach.

And we all see the potential that Halo 5 has, I mean we just had a 2 million dollar tournament. So when I see community members post out thoughtful discussions on how to solve the issues but people come here and choose to focus on the negative it's a bit frustrating. 

• Upvote (+1) 6

Finally, I know my casting sucks. I'll try to limit my interruptions. I actually didn't even notice I was doing it. Always a learning experience.

Phade - I didn't mind your casting at all, I thought you did a decent job. I recognize you guys are on the front lines of the scene in the sense you are not some massive org with stacks of cash laying around to put on some huge production. Don't let the haters get you down. Keep doing what your doing and keep improving. Thank you for supporting our community.

• Upvote (+1) 5

First ad break wasn't too painful at all, nowhere near as painful as yesterday. Felt shorter too.

@@Phade so much better with the casting and not interrupting today. Night and day, seriously. Thank you for listening to our feedback and responding to it, even if some, including myself, let our frustration turn into rudeness. This is a good event, thank you for your hard work in putting it together.

• Upvote (+1) 5

let me stop you here, MLG was never even given the chance to make an offer

i thought this forum was "unprofessional" anyways

why are you even bothering with us

Yea that's just "One random guy from the company's account of the story"   :simms:

And this is just the equivalent of him slamming the door on the way out, that's why. 

• Upvote (+1) 4

T2 - you are an important person in the community and many of us (hopefully) recognize your suggestions about being supportive and positive about the community are, from your perspective, what is best for the scene as a whole and I do agree to some extent.  

What you need to recognize is many of us do not feel our voice is being heard, so we don't want to sit back and just pat 343 on the back when there are issues that have persisted from the beginning.  343 should be more open to this conversation with the community and that could help dissolve alot of disagreements.  

That said, you shouldn't take it personal when we aren't thrilled with how you are trying to mitigate the negativity because it isn't fixing any of our problems.  It's not as much criticism of you as it is the current state of things.  

I may be wrong, but I imagine if you were actually grinding your butt off to be a competitor in this game you might be singing a different tune if you were on an AM team trying to break into HCS in an eSport with a really small league, lack of open events, and issues with imbalance.  

I hope no sarcasm came across from me, I didn't mean it that way if it did.

While I think a dedicated feedback thread could be good, it would save from digging through speculation and scrim updates in this thread looking for feedback. I'm wondering if you have an opinion as to what's wrong with the specific feedback threads around the time new things happen in the community, like the arena feedback thread when new settings are released, event feedback threads, etc.

While they don't always help for "in the moment" type of feedback, I find they can help for showing an opinion over the entire course of an event. For example, this event's production on Friday is completely different compared to the production today. While I can give feedback about Friday, in the grand scheme of things Esports Arena were obviously aware of some of the issues and corrected them, so it can save from them digging through useless feedback that they were able to correct. Instead, I could potentially comment that they were slow to react to feedback if I felt that was an issue, but that would be an issue I could reflect on after the event instead of complaining about audio issues that only happened on Friday and we have a few pages of that.

Settings threads being live during the arena test periods I think are important. But once the season has started to my understanding we're pretty locked in for settings. In which case is a feedback thread for settings really important still?

I don't know, I guess a weekly feedback thread for pro league production could be made. But personally I don't think there's a lot of problems with the online pro league other than things you guys can't control, and 343 is probably aware of, like lag outs.

@@Phade I sadly don't have a lot of time to watch the stream today, but from the Liquid/Amateur Hour match I watched you improved considerably. I can't believe you were able to incorporate the feedback and finish that paper.

keep ignoring the posts that matter and play victim. It's okay man.
  • Upvote (+1) 8
  • Downvote (-1) 1

We should tweet Simms post to the multiplayer designers at 343 and let them hear we are not happy with the current settings.

While I think a dedicated feedback thread could be good, it would save from digging through speculation and scrim updates in this thread looking for feedback. I'm wondering if you have an opinion as to what's wrong with the specific feedback threads around the time new things happen in the community, like the arena feedback thread when new settings are released, event feedback threads, etc.

Hell If that's what he wants, we can have Mods quote the best, well thought out criticisms and feedback into the thread he wants so it's all in one place without having to have people copy paste what they say. That way it can be well moderated like he wants.