CyReN

HCS Pro League Fall 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

A Gears event in a couple weeks, I would wait to see how that does first.

Incredibly excited to watch and support that.

• Upvote (+1) 5

20k easily.

Jk. Idk, maybe 10,000 or so. I'm being super optimistic though.

Ok, think we'll have to wait until the game is released to the masses AND for the first big event before we'll have an idea on how viewership will look.

A little OT, but why is GoW 4's Twitch numbers so low right now? Game is officially released Tuesday, but if you spent the $100 for the collector's edition or w/e, you can play it 4 days early. So it's pretty much "out" now at this point. Being brand new, id expect better numbers. Any suggestions why? I was really intrigued about their competitive potential

because it is a win10/xbox exclusive and this is atm not a popular thing

Please please please can we hit 15,000 viewers tonight!

PLZ.

Also yeah at this point I don't think 343 will be able to avoid MLG any longer.

I'm confused, isn't /halo currently hosting esportsarena? is there a viewership difference between hosting another broadcast versus running it solo?

the difference is that if halo had been streaming, I would have gotten a notification telling me there's an event on. i'm not subscribed to esportsarena because i'm a halo fan and they're just a venue

It's more than just money. What if the event is a disaster? What if something bad happens? It's a risk to allow someone to stream on your OFFICIAL channel if you're not actually funding/running an event.

Agreed. 

I usually agree with everything you say but I just can't in this case, man. It's an HCS event, is it not? If you're branding something as an official event in your league, you've already invested far beyond a stream going awry. You shouldn't be hedging your bets by not streaming your own event just in case something goes wrong, you should be making sure a HCS event is up to the standard of quality that you want to be associated with, for your own sake and the sake of all the players that are investing their own savings in attending and participating.

If the event is a disaster, whether you were hosting or streaming it should be the last of your concerns. Frankly it's concerning that people in charge seem to consider that a valid explanation, if you have to worry about events being a disaster then maybe you should go with a TO you have confidence in *cough* MLG *cough*. Or maybe in some wacky new future we'll have a game with proper LAN support. 

Maybe if eSports Arena was a Halo only operation that has been here for years and needed support, yeah man. The community could step up. Not the case though, and I dont think it has ever really been the case during the HCS.

We are trying to grow Halo eSports, why is this suddenly turning into charity for startup LAN centers? Have we lost focus on what the goal here is?

IIRC, Tashi said a few days ago that they had people they wanted to work with and the west coast events were just the natural result of that, I think that's why we're watching their friends' channel

it just seems like such an inexplicable move to not secure streaming rights and just plug ESA a ton/run their ads. it would make sense if it wasn't an HCS event.  Optic vs Envy in Pro League got somewhere around 15k views, right? Optic vs nV on LAN just peaked at 8k. we'll see how grand finals does but that does seem to indicate there's something wrong here

also i realize this is like a day late, thanks @@TiberiusAudley for the heads up on recovering lost posts

• Upvote (+1) 1

Thank you for this post Simms. I agree with almost everything you said and would love to test gametypes similar to your recommendations. Personally, I know a lot of the community feels the same way.

Regarding the TB forums. I don't see a post that is the "Official Halo 5 community feedback" thread. Just general Halo 5 discussion and things being posted here and there in a handful of different topics. It would be great if someone would start that ^ thread and everybody could make similar, professional, thought provoking posts that 343 can take in and feel good about how this community responds. That thread should be HEAVILY moderated to ensure all posts are well written because if that was the case, we would start to see REAL change around here. Naa mean?

When I come to this specific topic, the HCS Pro League Fall 2016 teams seeds and predictions discussion, this is a thread that has been running on the MLG forums since the beginning of time. I believe Lastman was the OG creator of the thread. I've been reading this thread since I was 18 years old and it pains me to see the current state which is just a bash fest and cesspool for negativity. If you're offended by my last sentence, you're probably a part of that pool. 

Team Beyond hosts those threads after every event, or are you thinking of a general community feedback thread to go alongside event feedback threads?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Because I'm sick of seeing the posts about halo being.more respectable in comparison to other eSports. The damage to halo is irreparable unless there's a marketing shift to make it the mainstream Xbox title again, and that has nothing to do with comp settings.

It can be done a lot to improve the game, Hcs format, events, etc even without Xbox marketing going in. Do you deny that ?

Team Beyond hosts those threads after every event, or are you thinking of a general community feedback thread to go alongside event feedback threads?

He's thinking he hasn't been around the last four years to see all those threads.

Don't worry Tom, Cyren can link them again if you missed them.

• Upvote (+1) 8

Regarding the TB forums. I don't see a post that is the "Official Halo 5 community feedback" thread. - T2

Myself personally, I don't even bother with feedback anymore because it isn't going to do anything. - Cyren

Feel free to ignore this post again

I think he just proved your point

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 7

When I come to this specific topic, the HCS Pro League Fall 2016 teams seeds and predictions discussion, this is a thread that has been running on the MLG forums since the beginning of time. I believe Lastman was the OG creator of the thread. I've been reading this thread since I was 18 years old and it pains me to see the current state which is just a bash fest and cesspool for negativity. If you're offended by my last sentence, you're probably a part of that pool. 

I'm not offended by that post, but surely you don't think it's coincidence this thread is becoming negative as people see that Halo is stagnating again?

• Upvote (+1) 2

I'm not offended by that post, but surely you don't think it's coincidence this thread is becoming negative as people see that Halo is stagnating again?

Not to mention the thread on Major League Gaming was 100% shit talk, this thread is actually far more tolerable than the one on their forums.

• Upvote (+1) 5

All you do is bash the people in here and call them pathetic. This thread is nowhere near as bad as you are making out. 

• Upvote (+1) 6

Not to mention the thread on Major League Gaming was 100% shit talk, this thread is actually far more tolerable than the one on their forums.

If I had the time, some of the early threads got real ugly on MLG years back. It's easy to sit back with rose tinted glasses and criticize though.

• Upvote (+1) 4

-snip-

I KNEW there was a reason I've always liked you. Up until this point I thought it was the beard and the accent.  :simms:

I'm wondering when the best time would be to push for these settings. I would imagine that they'd be hesitant to change things too close to worlds, but that kind of depends on how soon worlds is.

I KNEW there was a reason I've always liked you. Up until this point I thought it was the beard and the accent. :simms:

I'm wondering when the best time would be to push for these settings. I would imagine that they'd be hesitant to change things too close to worlds, but that kind of depends on how soon worlds is.

It made sense to have almost no changes and nerfs of any kind before the worlds that happened this year, but after that we've had very little change, which is extremely disappointing.

Would Halo releasing a free to play xbox one and PC game be the best thing 343 can do (alongside bringing in MLG)

Have a online only game, with Team Arena, lone wolf and Warzone/firefight thing(just for req packs so they can get income)

Bring in the fixes we all want with the core game and fix the aming.

Microsoft to spend loads on marketing, get the game a massive amount of hype.

The aim to get loads of new players playing, and get hype around the game. Right now, even if a Halo 6 comes out I don't think the hype will generate enough new players. But this free to play game will give people the chance to play and really get into Halo.

Then Release a "full" title with everything on, story, bigger MM and warzone etc.

If the Online only Halo was a success the number of purchases for the "full" title will increase loads as will the views on halo competitive.

• Upvote (+1) 3

T2's idea of what this thread should be like:

c4jt321.png?fb

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Would Halo releasing a free to play xbox one and PC game be the best thing 343 can do (alongside bringing in MLG)

Have a online only game, with Team Arena, lone wolf and Warzone/firefight thing(just for req packs so they can get income)

Bring in the fixes we all want with the core game and fix the aming.

Microsoft to spend loads on marketing, get the game a massive amount of hype.

The aim to get loads of new players playing, and get hype around the game. Right now, even if a Halo 6 comes out I don't think the hype will generate enough new players. But this free to play game will give people the chance to play and really get into Halo.

Then Release a "full" title with everything on, story, bigger MM and warzone etc.

If the Online only Halo was a success the number of purchases for the "full" title will increase loads as will the views on halo competitive.

343 has lost the trust of so many Halo fans I don't think much can bring people back

and I'm telling every pro to take a stand to get MLG back involved, and everyone has agreed. How we're going to do this, not sure yet, but it needs to happen.

MLG will be involved with this or it's going to die, just the truth.

Nope. 

I know that everyone on here is super on the "MLG must return or Halo is going to die" train since Adam stopped by, but I think everyone should chill out for a second and take some time to do some critical thinking. 

Now, for context, I really like Adam and MLG (joined forums in feb 07, thousands of posts, watched EVERY SINGLE MLG Halo event IN FULL from 07-2010). If they were announced in future plans, I think that would be an awesome thing and I'd be super hyped about it. That said, I'm not going to assume that because one person from their company comes onto these forums and delivers a clearly pandering "we wish we were involved we did everything we could to be" side of the story that:

1. MLG made the best offer

2. MLG didn't have some demands in their offer which were too far reaching

3. 343i is an evil corp actively trying to sabotage their own game (sensationalized for effect)

Unfortunately, this seems to be the general rhetoric adopted by many frequenters of this forum and apparently now even some pro players. 

Guys, none of us were in the pitches that 343i received from MLG, ESL, and undoubtedly others about HCS. We don't have even close to a fraction of the whole story, but seemingly it has become very easy to assume that with imperfect information we can know the perfect solution. Now, obviously no one is happy with the current state of competitive Halo or the game in general and we want things to get better but (and here's where the flame comes), I don't necessarily feel that messages like this and some of the other unsavory comments on this forum are the correct approach to getting things done. I won't do that talk again because I've already done it before and the only way that changes here probably is the forums being moderated to back such a philosophy of discourse (which if TB doesn't feel is necessary is totally fine and obviously up to them). 

The game has much bigger issues than which 3rd party TO is assisting in the administration of HCS. The biggest of which I think is the easiest to see

401sPWk.png

Well, maybe not the easiest because you have to scroll so far to find it :/ Halo just isn't as popular as we would like to see. You can't have a thriving competitive scene without a popular game. Past 11pm it is not uncommon for the servers to tell me there's not enough people playing for me to get matched up for a Warzone Assault game. There's also a bunch of other well documented and discussed reasons completely unrelated to TOs which have been brought up here many times so I don't need to belabor them.

So we're left with a situation in which the game and competitive scene are struggling and frustrations within this community have reached a breaking point. It's clear we need to see some changes to right the ship. Instead of focusing who, you might instead offer a detailed plan for what and then seek adoption for that plan.

Previously, I had given up on these forums. I stopped visiting TB because I felt this community was too toxic and got incredibly frustrated at how I think TB hurts the direction of the game more than helps it by the way it chooses to disseminate its opinions. I still feel this way, but ignoring this community and running EG by themselves clearly isn't cutting it. Time to make some changes I suppose, and I would offer the suggestion of at least considering the same for yourselves.  

• Upvote (+1) 13
  • Downvote (-1) 17