CyReN

HCS Pro League Fall 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

I may be a little late with this post but I’ve been talking to a couple other AM players about the recent low turnouts at open events and one fixable problem (other than choosing better locations) that came up was that the current design of the open circuit doesn’t seem to reward or provide any motivation for middle tier unknown AM players “talking that next step.”

For example, back in the Halo 3 MLG days the first step to becoming a relevant player in the scene was placing top 48 at a live event and getting points. This was a realistic, yet challenging goal that a lot of the average competitive players were driven to accomplish.  Unfortunately, I don’t believe there is an equivalent motivator in H5’s open circuit. It seems that the focus of the open circuit today is on getting into the pro league, unfortunately this is a realistic goal for about 8-12 AM players (if that). This fact seems to breed a lack of motivation for a lot of competitive players to play in online qualifiers or attend live events, since getting top 4 does not seem like a realistic goal (a common mindset is to stay at home and simply practice online until this difficult goal becomes realistic, if that ever happens). Thus, you end up with a problem of an already small player pool, being made smaller by the fact that a large portion of competitive players aren’t competing whether it be online or at live events (regardless of the location).

With that said, I believe it would be beneficial to the AM scene to bring back a system where the focus is not only on those who are almost ready to make the leap to pro status but rather on the majority of competitive players who are looking to take that first step and become relevant (if even slightly) in the H5 AM scene. Implement a system where players are motivated and rewarded for moving up the ranks before they are near the top (a place the majority of players will never get to). Give something for the large portion of middle tier AMs to go out and compete for at a live event (which obviously does not have to come at the expense of having the top AMs go out and compete for the opportunity to go to pro league).

I still think the small player pool of H5 and west coast location of the recent open events is primarily to blame for the low turnouts we’ve seen however, I think giving a larger number of AM players something challenging yet realistic to strive for can improve open circuit participation.

Why are you guys over analyzing this stuff so much? H5 sits in the 12-18 spot on the most played list with an average concurrent playerbase of like 20-30,000. There just are not that many people who play this game and that trickles down. You want huge open tournies with tons of teams, get the game back up to 100k+ concurrent.

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Bubu Dubu: +$2500

Suspector: +$1500
Huke: +$500

I thought Bravo at the end said it was $3000?

• Upvote (+1) 3

It was. The outdated rulebook had it at 2500 for some reason

• Upvote (+1) 1

It was. The outdated rulebook had it at 2500 for some reason

^

gotta love it

i'll update the spreadsheet

went through the stream from yesterday and counted the breaks + etc

6:34 - total actual stream time

4:01 - total down time (including the 1hr they were late)

• Upvote (+1) 3

Didn't think I'd be saying this but I hope viewership hits 5K today, not sure what teams are playing (is there a list yet?) but I'm excited to watch some 4v4 action finally. Congrats to Bubu on the win too!

Also, tomorrow's finals are going against the Presidential Debate / Sunday Night Football / Westworld now :wutface:

• Upvote (+1) 8

Why are you guys over analyzing this stuff so much? H5 sits in the 12-18 spot on the most played list with an average concurrent playerbase of like 20-30,000. There just are not that many people who play this game and that trickles down. You want huge open tournies with tons of teams, get the game back up to 100k+ concurrent.

Top 12 when there's only 12 games is not good :bman:

Didn't think I'd be saying this but I hope viewership hits 5K today, not sure what teams are playing (is there a list yet?) but I'm excited to watch some 4v4 action finally. Congrats to Bubu on the win too!

Also, tomorrow's finals are going against the Presidential Debate / Sunday Night Football / Westworld now :wutface:

westworld  :weback:

• Upvote (+1) 3

Didn't say yesterday (ive just woken up from the FFA highlights marathon in the breaks) but big props to the commentators and such for delivering quite well with the given situation, they were entertaining and constantly good throughout. Hopefully the 4vs4s pan out quite well here and we get some good match ups, even if I cant watch any today :kappa:

• Upvote (+1) 1

I may be a little late with this post but I’ve been talking to a couple other AM players about the recent low turnouts at open events and one fixable problem (other than choosing better locations) that came up was that the current design of the open circuit doesn’t seem to reward or provide any motivation for middle tier unknown AM players “talking that next step.”

For example, back in the Halo 3 MLG days the first step to becoming a relevant player in the scene was placing top 48 at a live event and getting points. This was a realistic, yet challenging goal that a lot of the average competitive players were driven to accomplish.  Unfortunately, I don’t believe there is an equivalent motivator in H5’s open circuit. It seems that the focus of the open circuit today is on getting into the pro league, unfortunately this is a realistic goal for about 8-12 AM players (if that). This fact seems to breed a lack of motivation for a lot of competitive players to play in online qualifiers or attend live events, since getting top 4 does not seem like a realistic goal (a common mindset is to stay at home and simply practice online until this difficult goal becomes realistic, if that ever happens). Thus, you end up with a problem of an already small player pool, being made smaller by the fact that a large portion of competitive players aren’t competing whether it be online or at live events (regardless of the location).

With that said, I believe it would be beneficial to the AM scene to bring back a system where the focus is not only on those who are almost ready to make the leap to pro status but rather on the majority of competitive players who are looking to take that first step and become relevant (if even slightly) in the H5 AM scene. Implement a system where players are motivated and rewarded for moving up the ranks before they are near the top (a place the majority of players will never get to). Give something for the large portion of middle tier AMs to go out and compete for at a live event (which obviously does not have to come at the expense of having the top AMs go out and compete for the opportunity to go to pro league).

I still think the small player pool of H5 and west coast location of the recent open events is primarily to blame for the low turnouts we’ve seen however, I think giving a larger number of AM players something challenging yet realistic to strive for can improve open circuit participation.

This is a great post. And it touches on the consequences of having such small 'real' season events -- a four-team bracket at the season finals? That's insane. It really does mean that AM players have a huge grind in front of them if they ever want to make a splash in the 4v4 scene. In the H3 days 'Championship Sunday' meant a lot more than just 'the grand finals match.' Bringing back a point system is a very good idea. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

went through the stream from yesterday and counted the breaks + etc

6:34 - total actual stream time

4:01 - total down time (including the 1hr they were late)

When you said down time you mean rolling the same 5 clips over and over again as "highlights". If they're going to have this much downtime again today at least put almost 40% of your entire stream to use with quality interviews, tours of the arena, schedule breakdowns, etc. @@Phade This will make everything much more watchable imo

• Upvote (+1) 5

When you said down time you mean rolling the same 5 clips over and over again as "highlights". If they're going to have this much downtime again today at least put almost 40% of your entire stream to use with quality interviews, tours of the arena, schedule breakdowns, etc. @@Phade This will make everything much more watchable imo

yeah i counted downtime strictly as the FFA highlights for 25-30 mins between matches (and +1hr because the stream started late)

matches, interviews, casters talking before and after the match = actual stream time 

I think a few of us caught onto this around the same time. It was a few updates back when people started reporting aiming issues and i noticed my shot instantly turned trash and i was surviving in a lot more mid-long range battles that I know I should have died in. I tried everything. Long sticks on the elite (I used to play with fps freeks) turning vibe on and off, all kinds of different senses/accels, testing 3 different controllers. I was actually getting embarrassed multiple times a day, and seemed to be "that" teammate going solo a lot. My aim is better at 6/5 with deadzones than it was on 3,3 with 0%. 

Just a general theory I have but I think deadzones became an adjustable thing during whichever update but they didn't do anything and somewhere along the way it started to work. Deadzones really should be a thing with a controller regardless of if you have slow turn or not. 

Sidenote: i am finally winning close range pistol battles again. It seems like i couldn't hit a single shot in them for months. 

Wait so you're using 6s/5a and default deadzones?

Because I now love you. Went with that myself for a couple hours and hit shots I haven't hit in a long time.

I agree with you that obviously the smaller player base is a huge factor in open events not having good attendance, however, at the same time there are a sizeable number of players who are passionate about competing in H5 yet still don't feel the need to compete in the open circuit (whether that be online or in person).

Obviously tripling the number of players that play Halo 5 is a good solution to improving open event attendance, it's just not realistic. What is realistic is changing the way you give out imaginary points/rewards to get a higher percentage of the players who are already passionate about competing in H5 forming teams and actually competing. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Isn't there only 24 teams total?

At the very least, hopefully more but probably not many, that's why I was asking

Not sure what the plan is

When does this start today?

Should start in 20 mins, but yesterday featured an hour delay.