CyReN

HCS Pro League Fall 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Wow what a profound last 10 pages or so.  I got into competitive Halo because of MLG just like probably everyone else on here.  For 343 not to recognize that is beyond me.  

I want to point out a few obvious disconnects here:

- 343 made some serious mistakes with this game.  They should own up to these and tell us what they plan to do about it.  

- This community has given tons of feedback (not just conjecture or complaining) that seems to be completely ignored.  Every time something came up such as radar, the community sucked it up and still supported.  This is not working, there are things that are hurting this game that need to change.   

- T2 made a case for the sacrifices people make to be involved in the scene, but he seems to be failing to see how disconnected 343 has become from the community, and how these decisions are hurting the scene.  

- The comments from MLG are the most discouraging thing I have ever heard since the launch of this game.  Then to go back and look at events 10+ years ago that were SO much more engaging and had superior production value.  It's night and day from what we are getting now.

Disenfranchisement is the feeling people get when they feel their voices are not being heard or their feedback is not being taken seriously.  To have this sentiment across this community should be a real concern.   

• Upvote (+1) 2

Ninja's really disapointing me with what he's saying about not going to the LANs. Cliffnotes:

-He's a pro so he shouldn't have to. He doesn't think any pros should go becuase this tourney is for "the plebs."

-None of the LANs are worth it financially to himself or the orgs.

-He'll make more money streaming throughout the weekend instead, which I guess means he'll be playing H1Z1 when he could be hosting the LAN and supporting Halo.

-Doesn't want to play the game for fun right now.

It's a bad look for one of the most popular pros to be downgrading the scene in such a way escpecially when he's one of the few in the community who could afford to eat a chunck of money to support the event over the weekend.

I'm with everyone on wanting many wholesale changes to the way things are run (like event locations, built-in LAN functionality, MLG), but it goes both ways. Ninja kind of just took a shit on this whole LAN structure we've been clamoring for.

I'm curious at this point how many pros simply enjoy just getting on and playing solo que, or team, matchmaking not due to servers but the overall enjoyment of playing Halo 5.

Props for the top 4 teams that are going to the LAN every other team that didn't want to go should learn from them.

EDIT: I forgot LOL wanted to go and ALG got screwed.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

It's kind of weird to think this, but what if the community boycotted HCS?  What if whole teams refused to play?  Do you think there is a chance we wouldn't be taken for granted anymore?

• Upvote (+1) 1

-clip-

I'm curious at this point how many pros simply enjoy just getting on and playing solo que, or team, matchmaking not due to servers but the overall enjoyment of playing Halo 5.

My guess is not many, However, I think pro teams like OG and NV realize that in order to make the big bucks and win a championship, the grind has to be consistent. Everyday consistent. And LAN experience, even a small one, is valuable play time at this point.  You don't get to complain about not winning and only playing the game for joy, AND expect to beat a team like OG who is clamoring to get a scrim 6-7 days a week. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

It's kind of weird to think this, but what if the community boycotted HCS?  What if whole teams refused to play?  Do you think there is a chance we wouldn't be taken for granted anymore?

It would hurt us more than it would help.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Ninja's really disapointing me with what he's saying about not going to the LANs. Cliffnotes:

-He's a pro so he shouldn't have to. He doesn't think any pros should go becuase this tourney is for "the plebs."

-None of the LANs are worth it financially to himself or the orgs.

-He'll make more money streaming throughout the weekend instead, which I guess means he'll be playing H1Z1 when he could be hosting the LAN and supporting Halo.

-Doesn't want to play the game for fun right now. 

It's a bad look for one of the most popular pros to be downgrading the scene in such a way escpecially when he's one of the few in the community who could afford to eat a chunck of money to support the event over the weekend.

I'm with everyone on wanting many wholesale changes to the way things are run (like event locations, built-in LAN functionality, MLG), but it goes both ways. Ninja kind of just took a shit on this whole LAN structure we've been clamoring for.

Firstly, Anyone who reads this, please watch the VOD. He elaborates each point further than the harshness of these "Cliff notes". A few of these are selective hearing. Ninja bias aside, without context these are wrong.

• Upvote (+1) 8

I think people have already boycotted West Coast events.

• Upvote (+1) 1

we boycott hcs and then it goes away and we're right back in h4 hell

We could boycott for one week.  Get a hash tag going.  Something has got to be able to help us get 343 to work with us instead of against us...

Firstly, Anyone who reads this, please watch the VOD. He elaborates each point further than the harshness of these "Cliff notes". A few of these are selective hearing. Ninja bias aside, without context these are wrong.

Not having to sift through a whole broadcast would be nice...

Regardless of the reasoning I think it's still shitty they didn't go. LOL and ALG have legitimate reasons in my eyes though.

• Upvote (+1) 2

we boycott hcs and then it goes away and we're right back in h4 hell

Nah worse than that, there's no one left to pick up the pieces:

• No tournament organizers looking to hoist us on their back.
  • Most top players pack it in because they've tasted Dev support / funding.
  • With no advertising opportunities Orgs start falling by the wayside.
  • Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Ok good cause those "Cliff Notes" really made Ninja sound bad....

• Upvote (+1) 1

We could boycott for one week.  Get a hash tag going.  Something has got to be able to help us get 343 to work with us instead of against us...

#CancelWWENetwork

• Upvote (+1) 6

I'd rather get hit offline in matchmaking and deal with shitty hosts over shitty servers and no LAN.

IDC if they keep servers for H5's premiere microtransaction game mode.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Props for the top 4 teams that are going to the LAN every other team that didn't want to go should learn from them.

Coincidentally, it's also 4 of the top 5 teams in Pro League right now.

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Fair point. I quit watching pretty quickly after hearing those things. He probably clarified on some of his statements.

Would like to point out that I'm a fan of Ninja and normally my bias is, if anyhting, in favor of him. This only hightened my disappointment in his comments.

ETA: Actually, I'd like to know what exactly you think is selective hearing of the four notes I posted. In no uncertain terms he stated the first three, and he heavily implied the fourth. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

So apparently the mayor of OC just declared a curfew from 10pm tonight until 7am Saturday.

Anyone able to explain to this foreigner if that's going to mess with the event?

Orange County, Florida due to Hurricane Matthew.

https://twitter.com/OrangeCoFL?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

That would explain it. I was really confused for a while knowing that Cali is on the other side of the country from the hurricane and trying to work out why there'd be a warning.

Having two places with the same name is really confusing sometimes.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Ninja mightve lost the love for Halo. I can't fault him though, when Halo was in the dark ages he was the only one streaming literally everyday.

• Upvote (+1) 6