CyReN

HCS Pro League Fall 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Halo has a Wizard, why didn't you just ask him to summon lightning to power the event?

God Adam, do you love Halo or not?

See, this is why ESL is successful.  They use the power of Vivi's black magic!

I mean, that's how IG Columbus got power...

• Upvote (+1) 2

Any idea why 343i is so against MLG?

He talked about it a couple of pages back.  Not the full post, but the part of the post that might answer your question.

Going into MCC we were asked to pitch something 'in the clouds, go huge'. So we did. The next thing we got back was a cease and desist for MCC for all live events and Gamebattles in addition to seeing some of our pitched elements ripped out for other vendors. We were also asked to operate a launch event at the Barracks in LA (picked out by someone who will not be named) for $100,000 total budget (inclusive of prize money, player travel, etc)...we did a site survey and the venue didn't have electrical, internet, or bathrooms...so we said no, it was not feasible (save this point for later).

Going into Halo 5, we were told that due to us not running the aforementioned event and also due to us not supporting Halo MCC (which we were not allowed to do) we would not be given a chance for HCS for Halo 5. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Any idea why 343i is so against MLG?

If you go off Anton's post from last night, it's because 343/Microsoft don't want to give any power or controlling interest of Halo to Activision, a rival publisher, and parent company for MLG now.

However, that ceases to make sense when you look at The Coalition, also a Microsoft subsidiary, who are working with MLG just fine.  The blame can't be put on "Oh Microsoft doesn't want to work with Activision." when they are literally doing just that.

• Upvote (+1) 8

Then why has this been happening since before the acquisition? 

I dunno, I prefer to follow the path that it's something juicy and childishly personal because you +repped that one post asking if someone at MLG slept with someone at 343's wife or something.

I want to believe it's something absolutely, utterly pedantic.

• Upvote (+1) 3

If you go off Anton's post from last night, it's because 343/Microsoft don't want to give any power or controlling interest of Halo to Activision, a rival publisher, and parent company for MLG now.

However, that ceases to make sense when you look at The Coalition, also a Microsoft subsidiary, who are working with MLG just fine.  The blame can't be put on "Oh Microsoft doesn't want to work with Activision." when they are literally doing just that.

It makes sense until we all watch Gears do the same thing, like you said. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

Personal opinion? I think there is always resentment over what we built for some reason. A great example...at a private E3 meeting with 343 years ago we were shown a pitch sizzle reel before MCC showing the rich history of Halo. The 'history' began and ended with shots of the H4 Virgin program. No mention of 65 MLG events, no Dr. Pepper bottles, no Doritos combine, no USA and G4 show...we didn't exist. I remember thinking 'well this doesn't bode well'.

That makes me fell all the sadness.

• Upvote (+1) 8

Personal opinion? I think there is always resentment over what we built for some reason. A great example...at a private E3 meeting with 343 years ago we were shown a pitch sizzle reel before MCC showing the rich history of Halo. The 'history' began and ended with shots of the H4 Virgin program. No mention of 65 MLG events, no Dr. Pepper bottles, no Doritos combine, no USA and G4 show...we didn't exist. I remember thinking 'well this doesn't bode well'.

If a business isnt willing to respect the old days then it shows they arent willing to accept an old fanbase into the new era.

What a shame, it hurt to actually read that.

• Upvote (+1) 5

If MLG did get Halo back, the amount of pressure on them to run a great event would be insane  :kappa:

• Upvote (+1) 2

Pray for us

I was about to say "that's just some nifty post-editing" until I saw the camera/display menus. Let's hope 343 follows suit. 

I feel you, so many untold stories.

After MLG Dallas when we sold out the open bracket last minute, we found out a deal was signed with Virgin. We were told by someone over there that 'there are more people other than MLG in the picture now'

Going into MCC we were asked to pitch something 'in the clouds, go huge'. So we did. The next thing we got back was a cease and desist for MCC for all live events and Gamebattles in addition to seeing some of our pitched elements ripped out for other vendors. We were also asked to operate a launch event at the Barracks in LA (picked out by someone who will not be named) for $100,000 total budget (inclusive of prize money, player travel, etc)...we did a site survey and the venue didn't have electrical, internet, or bathrooms...so we said no, it was not feasible (save this point for later).

Going into Halo 5, we were told that due to us not running the aforementioned event and also due to us not supporting Halo MCC (which we were not allowed to do) we would not be given a chance for HCS for Halo 5. 

Nothing makes sense. I just want Halo to be awesome. 

The tears streaming from my face right now are too real. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

That's a damn shame. Who are these people running the show? Do they even respect Halo? MLG and Halo are basically equivalent.

• Upvote (+1) 1

It shows a lot in a person, to get burned by something that they loved so much, and still have a passion to see it succeed.

Damn I wish you were in charge. The fact that you've been screwed over like this, but would still do anything you could to see halo be good...We need that kind of leadership, which doesn't exist in 343 right now...

• Upvote (+1) 1

343, if they wanted to make some quick cash and make everyone happy, all they have to do is sell something along the lines of "Halo 5: Tournament Edition"

All it needs is:

Offline LAN capabilities

Working spectator mode

Ability to download forge maps & settings

Basic game mode modifiers

Basic Armour, skins, etc.

Optional: split screen mode

Pretty much no online mode other then a forge browser to download maps & game types. No online matchmaking and campaign and other items that would clutter the game.

Sell the game for $39.99 use some shit and use some of the proceeds to fund a "Im Sorry" Lan tournament.

I'll drop a very quick piece of feedback on what is absolutely NEEDED to build Halo: LAN cannot be rocket science.

I play Halo CE nearly every night with my 2 sons. We have 2 TVs/Xboxes connected via crossover cable and we quickly jump into a game. I also get some quality time with them playing split screen campaign.

This simple facet of Halo is the cornerstone of everything: the functionality of LAN has to be easy. Whomever thought it was acceptable to take away split screen campaign and to not implement a true LAN backbone struck a grievous blow to Halo for anyone from neighborhood kids, to a LAN center, to MLG.

I've held back from speaking my mind for a while on this because sometimes the truth hurts, but there it is, that simple thing is devastating. Fuck online servers (barely had this for H2 and H:CE), fuck dedicated servers (didn't have this during MLG years), fuck spectator mode (didn't have this for MLG years)....real LAN that is scalable is needed. 

There I said it. 

This has been my biggest concern going into Halo 5 since it was announced that there would be no LAN support.  I think the reason this isn't getting as much attention is mostly due to lack of education around what this even means.  You cannot have internet access without a LAN network.  In the feedback thread for halo 5 esports I stated that unless this issue was addressed it wasn't even worth discussing anything else.  If at the core of your game, you cannot even reliably host a tournament, you lose all credibility.  Having a tournament halted because of internet connectivity issues in 2015 is laughable. The stream going down is one thing, that is internet related.  But as you mentioned, people are misconstruing the benefits of dedicated servers vs. the lack of LAN support.  Hell, the way Halo 5 is coded now if internet goes out at a venue players won't even have the option to get on their Xbox's to play a custom warm up game. (suppose they could host a hotspot wifi custom game, but shiiiii) 

Last time I brought up these concerns in the Halo 5 esports thread, I was given the response that Halo 5 would not have LAN support, however they would work together with the tournament providers to provide a local dedicated server if necessary.  As impractical of a solution that is versus just making you game LAN compatible aside....That's great if that happens, but again raises concerns.  This means that unless you are either a big house tournament provider, or have a partnership with 343, tough luck.  Buying a local server just to run a tournament is not even economically feasible for smaller orgs that may be trying to grow.  

I'll end by saying dedicated servers are a major step forward for Halo in general, but lack of LAN support is about twice as large a step backwards, especially in 2015.  I hope, sincerely, that there is a plan in place behind the scenes that just hasn't been unveiled for how 343 plans to reliably host tournaments.  I've been a die hard halo fan for over a decade now, I just want this franchise to be great once again.  

For as much hype as I have for this game coming out, if I have to watch another tournament affected by Xbox Live issues I may (will definitely) cry.

That moment when you realize you've secretly been a fortune teller all along.  Well 'Yonders it's been nice, but I'm about to drop everything in life to pursue my newly discovered talents...

Ok in all seriousness.. @@Saucey hit the nail on the head with my above post; why risk hosting a tournament if you aren't even sure you can keep the lights on? I've said it since day one the biggest hits that Halo 5 took was lack of split-screen and LAN capability, which until the Xbox One were synonymous with playing halo.  My brothers and I have a deep bond over playing halo together, yet last Christmas it required each of us to have our OWN Xbox one, halo 5 disc and separate live accounts. (like, what??! it's fucking 2016..) It goes back to the fundamental design of the console experience being flawed, 'immersion' means shit compared to a tangible social experience.  I would take a tiny fourth of a 30 inch monitor over the full single player experience any day.  I know friends who have stopped playing halo solely for the fact that you can no longer play with more than one person at a time.  It's like if I went to the doctor and found out I had a torn ACL in both my knees, then brought that information to my team trainer and he says 'well lets just tape up those wrists for you and make sure your helmet is buckled on'.  Gross exaggerations aside...

Just my two cents. @ you are spot on as per usual and it's not just for nostalgic purposes that I miss MLG.  The level of knowledge that MLG has in terms of console gaming/esports/doritos is second only to the passion that exceeds it.

-NostraDotmus out   
  • Upvote (+1) 8

343, if they wanted to make some quick cash and make everyone happy, all they have to do is sell something along the lines of "Halo 5: Tournament Edition"

All it needs is:

Offline LAN capabilities

Working spectator mode

Ability to download forge maps & settings

Basic game mode modifiers

Basic Armour, skins, etc.

Optional: split screen mode

Pretty much no online mode other then a forge browser to download maps & game types. No online matchmaking and campaign and other items that would clutter the game.

Sell the game for $39.99 use some shit and use some of the proceeds to fund a "Im Sorry" Lan tournament.

Or we could just update the base game to have all of this because you can find Halo 5 for much less than that price these days.

• Upvote (+1) 5

I mean, that's how IG Columbus got power...

Very true. TO's now have to know magic to make events happen:)

• Upvote (+1) 2

I wonder if they do man, seeing these old Bungie vids gives me all nostalgia and feels, you could see their excitement to play the game with friends/colleagues in the same place, just to have fun and enjoyment.

Its been posted before and every time the same thing....

warm feelings .... remembering the anticipation of a new Halo... remember watching every single dev video and trailer 100 times... how much I loved and admired bungie.... then i think about the difference between that bungie and 343... then I get angry about the terrible direction they took the story..... then sad about how it is.....

H1, H2, H3 was a golden era for Halo, small enough to have passion and craftsmanship big enough to deliver.  Those games were made the way small studios make games, now its just a corporate army making Halo. Focus groups, cool features, and marketing.

Also, if Halo 5 had the marketing team work on the campaign story, I would reckon it would be much better. Virtually everything from the Halo 5 campaign was vastly more interesting than anything in the H5 story.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Damn, Adam coming in here and dropping facts. Even though it's all ESL now, MLG and Halo still go hand in hand to me. 

ESL does a really great job with what they have and I don't want to disrespect them in any way, but an open MLG event held in Coloumbus would probably quadruple current viewership. 

Honestly, if MLG were to host another Halo event, I'd be there in a heartbeat. Even though my body still hasn't forgiven me for the amount of Dr. Pepper and Flipz I consumed at Dallas in 2012...

• Upvote (+1) 2