CyReN

HCS Pro League Fall 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

I know, that was largely part of my point. 

Yeah sorry, I 100% agree with you. Shoulda kappa'd or some shit lol

• Upvote (+1) 3

Doesn't the xbox one itself lack LAN support or do the newer versions have it?

Regardless of that 343 should have integrated LAN support into Halo 5 forge.

What effort? LAN isn't something difficult to put into a game.

I'm no expert on game design but surely it isn't as simple as a few keyboard pushes when you spent the last three years with dedicated servers in mind.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Doesn't the xbox one itself lack LAN support or do the newer versions have it?

Regardless of that 343 should have integrated LAN support into Halo 5 forge.

Anything with an Ethernet port can do LAN. Period. 

• Upvote (+1) 4

Is there a reason why so many games don't have splitscreen now? Is it a technical thing? Ive thought maybe that it's to try to make more people buy consoles and games since they can't play together but I hope that's not the case

Is there a reason why so many games don't have splitscreen now? Is it a technical thing? Ive thought maybe that it's to try to make more people buy consoles and games since they can't play together but I hope that's not the case

Consoles aren't powerful enough without making it look like shit and it just isn't a 'must-have' feature like it was in 2004/2007.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Somewhere along the lines, the idea of competitive Halo became viewed as an expense rather than an investment. The ROI will eventually be much better if you put the money up first to nail the experience from the get-go. 343 is in a unique position to do that being Dev-backed. But imo, all we have seen is shortcuts being taken and corners being cut. The money is being pumped into a shell or bubble(you take your pick) and when it crumbles/bursts, the blame had better not be on the fans or the players.

Consoles aren't powerful enough without making it look like shit and it just isn't a 'must-have' feature like it was in 2004/2007.

LAN though.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm no expert on game design but surely it isn't as simple as a few keyboard pushes when you spent the last three years with dedicated servers in mind.

I can't say I'm an expert on game design, but I am a network engineer so I have some knowledge at least in terms of networking. All the pieces are there in the system, and I don't believe it could be too complex. I think the biggest issue is that so many of the coders/programmers today that don't work in the security industry are really subpar to what they used to be due to places like stackoverflow and other forums where they literally copy paste code and just make small changes to customize it to what they need.

• Upvote (+1) 5

so servers aren't a problem? why is it anyone from the eu can barely get games, and all the connections are trash? why is it someone is always lagging out? why does a game that sold for 50 quid still not quite up to standard a year later? why are the maps all cancer? why is radar still a thing? why did they promise a completely different game in trailers and deliver a shit campaign? why did they promise spectator mode? why is the ranking system so bad? how can you be ok with what they are doing?

I don't have much of a problem getting games other than in the morning.

Connections are generally solid unless play on expanded.

I honestly rarely see lag outs, regularly see quitters though.

Entirely opinions. The maps are fine for the most part imo.

Campaign has some of the best level design in the series and the on foot combat is superb.

We've got a spectator mode, it's just a bit shit.

Ranking system isn't perfect but it does a decent enough job.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 3

I am always curious about this.  Are people quitting or lagging out.  I can never tell.  I feel like I see a lot of lagging out because who the hell would quit when they are winning?  

• Upvote (+1) 1

Somewhere along the lines, the idea of competitive Halo became viewed as and expense rather than an investment. The ROI will eventually be much better if you put the money up first to nail the experience from the get-go. 343 is in a unique position to do that being Dev-backed. But imo, all we have seen is shortcuts being taken and corners being cut. The money is being pumped into a shell or bubble(you take your pick) and when it crumbles/bursts, the blame had better not be on the fans or the players.

This, the whole scene is a bubble. If Microsoft stops the money pumping the scene dies, i don't know how much time is Microsoft going to keep pumping money before they realize that this "esport" isn't going anywhere
  • Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

I don't have much of a problem getting games other than in the morning.

Connections are generally solid unless play on expanded.

Entirely opinions. The maps are fine for the most part imo.

Campaign has some of the best level design in the series and the on foot combat is superb.

We've got a spectator mode, it's just a bit shit.

Ranking system isn't perfect but it does a decent enough job.

Commection is a problem for many people. You not noticing it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

You rarely see lag outs? You obviously don't go on Twitch or watch the Pro League.

Campaign is ass and it is widely viewed as ass.

Spectator mode isn't "a bit shit" it's absolute dogshit. A theater that doesn't even come expose to accurately showing what is happening. It's an FPS, swing where people are aiming is a huge part of the enjoyment.

Ranking system does a decent job? I guess plat solo players matching a team of 4 champs is decent. I guess no party restrictions is decent.

• Upvote (+1) 8
  • Downvote (-1) 1

That's a shame because splitscreen with friends is one of the best ways to play multiplayer. It's crazy to think that lots of people won't experience that.

• Upvote (+1) 1

It is lol. LAN is a really basic feature that anyone can implement. Not having LAN is a simple means of "control", it was probably a decision made by executives rather than developers.

Also take a look at Halo Online, people hacked that game and got LAN, and dedicated servers to work. Don't let any developer tell you LAN is not possible. 

• Upvote (+1) 6

Not sure the hardships of what people go through now, but a small history of what I did for my first few events:

MLG Charlotte 2007 - Drove 10 hours with friends, stayed on the floor of a friend's hotel for 3 days.

MLG Meadowlands 2008 - Again, drove 10 hours with 5 in a car. I came last minute and had to sit in the middle back seat :mj: . Again, stayed on a floor of a friends hotel room.

Some of my favorite memories of Halo was going to these events, the h1/h2 lans going on, meeting people I've played online with for many years, etc. I never had aspirations to be a pro player or whatnot, it was a passion to compete and watch these awesome events I had as a hobby. This was during Halo 2 and 3 though, not sure people have the same passion as I did toward these new Halo titles. Can't say I would do these things today with H4/MCC/H5.

Halo 5 NA Regionals (This past February run by MLG) drove 10 hours through the night to get to Columbus at noon on Saturday for the whole days matches, crashed and spent the whole day Sunday eating tacos, drinking, and watching Halo before driving back on Monday morning. At my age it was exhausting and I drove the full 20 hours, but I had an absolute blast seeing friends I usually never get to see and enjoying Halo probably for the first time in a long time. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Not many people know this, but we had a huge Beyond live event for the MCC Launch mapped out. $50,000 prize pool, multiple sponsors, a few of which are massive companies in gaming were on board. MCC came out and was a disaster, nobody wanted to be involved obviously after that.

We were planning a Beyond Halo 5 LAN live tournament, but after gamers for giving 2016, the business side of my brain can't justify throwing that much money at an event if it's a coin toss that the game will operate correctly. Also paired with the fact you need some super classified VIP dedicated server at your event to ensure a decent experience, and I've heard sometimes even THAT doesn't work correctly.

I just cant comprehend this whole push for "grassroots" when the titles being provided don't work like we need them to work. It's like trying to build a house on a foundation of quicksand. Give the community a solid foundation to stand on and we can build it.

I really wish you didn't post this. So disappointing. Nobody should ever question this community again.

• Upvote (+1) 1

It is lol. LAN is a really basic feature that anyone can implement. Not having LAN is a simple means of "control", it was probably a decision made by executives rather than developers.

Also take a look at Halo Online, people hacked that game and got LAN, and dedicated servers to work. Don't let any developer tell you LAN is not possible.

This. Without "LAN", 343 have control over settings and Tournament Organizers. You can't do anything without their approval.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

I really wish you didn't post this. So disappointing. Nobody should ever question this community again.

I know.

We focused our efforts to online events, which I am happy to say have been a success, as long as Xbox Live/H5 Servers/SpecMode is working.

• Upvote (+1) 6

We can thank the meteoric rise of online gaming for this. Unfortunately, it appears as though split screen has gone the way of the dinosaurs. But we can't be too surprised, can we? Split screen was being phased out during the late stages of the last console generation. Why forge stronger friendships by playing split screen at a friend's house when you can drop $60/year on Xbox Live/PSN and play online together without having to leave your couch? Sadly, in-person multiplayer gaming the way we knew it back in 2004-2008 is pretty much dead on all platforms and online multiplayer has taken its place. 

• Upvote (+1) 2