CyReN

HCS Pro League Fall 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Would T2 have starved himself and sold burnt CDs to go to an event in which he plays a game that allows him to be killed by someone crouching around a corner with an AR?

I know you're dicking around, so I'll humor it a bit. There are reasons hes casting and no longer playing.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

We remove and warn Frank too.

Durning heated debates and community situations we usually let stuff slide. People show a lot of passion and can get easily heated.

This is the life of a forum mod though:

-Remove posts / ban people = Over zealous power tripping nerd.

-Let members slide = lazy fucks that don't do anything and have bias.

Again, a lot of people on staff have work / school / irl crap. We are going to miss stuff, we aren't perfect. (cue simple plan song)

If you feel a post is bad, report it.

Thanks.

Doesnt Frank commentate the TB Tournament finals? or at least use to?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Doesnt Frank commentate the TB Tournament finals? or at least use to?

Yes, please stop reaching.

If you have any more theories and whatnot feel free to PM me.

Yes, please stop reaching.

If you have any more theories and whatnot feel free to PM me.

Don't tell us what to do. Gonna upload a video with red circles and show my TB Theories to the world. Can't stop me now!

• Upvote (+1) 5

Yeah reading through the last few pages and @@Tsquared 's post really makes ya think. The fact that no one is attending these events really, doesn't wanna grind to get there, isn't putting in the effort like the "old days"..is this just the result of the day and age we live in?

The younger generation (I say young, I'm 28 lmao) doesn't want to work for ANYTHING. Everything has to be handed to them. And if you question that, you're an asshole. Think its a combo of a lot of things but that def plays a large part I think.

Or it is 2016 and most people actually know if they have a chance or not to make it. Comparing someone's experience in 2004 when there was no ranks, matchmaking, or competitive forums in Halo to someone's in 2016 who has some many outlets to make themselves know is beyond silly. If you are good at Halo at this point you are most likely somewhat known. It makes no sense to spend that much money or make that many sacrifices now. 

Also, I really hate the constructive feedback argument. The competitive Halo community has been giving constructive feedback to Bungie and 343i for 10 years now. Most of it is never listened to. If you think anyone is going to waste their time trying to be nice when it will just be ignored then you are just out of touch. Compare how 343 reacts to the community to how Valve reacts to the Dota community. They actively make changes in the game, in how they monetize the game, and how they run tournaments that people request.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Or it is 2016 and most people actually know if they have a chance or not to make it. Comparing someone's experience in 2004 when there was no ranks, matchmaking, or competitive forums in Halo to someone's in 2016 who has some many outlets to make themselves know is beyond silly. If you are good at Halo at this point you are most likely somewhat known. It makes no sense to spend that much money or make that many sacrifices now. 

Also, I really hate the constructive feedback argument. The competitive Halo community has been giving constructive feedback to Bungie and 343i for 10 years now. Most of it is never listened to. If you think anyone is going to waste their time trying to be nice when it will just be ignored then you are just out of touch. Compare how 343 reacts to the community to how Valve reacts to the Dota community. They actively make changes in the game, in how they monetize the game, and how they run tournaments that people request.

LoL what are you even talking about, everybody knew everybody back then, most of the people went to the LANs for the atmosphere and the experience, 99% of the participants knew that most likely FB was going to win it.

Nah dev bashing is allowed when there is a heated debate and you have VIP status plz learn the unspoken rules and how bias works sheeeesh.

So that's what this title gets me?
  • Upvote (+1) 5

Serious question

Why does everyone think that MLG will be our great savior ???

I understand they are great and amazing and that's where halo was pushed competivley so long ago but I honestly feel we are living in nostalgia (no disrespect to MLG ) as they did amazing things for us back in the day , that being said they also dropped us at the dime of a hat when it became inconvenient for them and we weren't making them enough money. Fine I understand that's fair from a business perspective but they are just as big of blame as ESL and 343 for the state of competitive halo . I think it is a ridiculous concept for the white knight to come swooping in and save us .

Of course I want more transparency in the scene but like others have mentioned we want instant gratification because many of us were raised that way , well to damn bad it's not the real world we don't get everything we want immediately we have to work for it and sometimes that work takes years and years to come MLG wasn't perfect back in the day it took them awhile , I think things will get better but we have to be patient...

I do not agree that people should have to do xy and z to just to attend an event however cost of living is much higher than it was in the early 2000s and something that may have been ideal then may not be now , that being said patience everyone I am sure we will eventually have our Midwest and east coast LANs until then let's enjoy watching good halo at OC this weekend

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 9

Why are you even a VIP? Simms does all the hard work.

I'm personally a fan of savage and sarcastic Audley.
  • Upvote (+1) 5

Serious question

Why does everyone think that MLG will be our great savior ???

I understand they are great and amazing and that's where halo was pushed competivley so long ago but I honestly feel we are living in nostalgia (no disrespect to MLG ) as they did amazing things for us back in the day , that being said they also dropped us at the dime of a hat when it became inconvenient for them and we weren't making them enough money. Fine I understand that's fair from a business perspective but they are just as big of blame as ESL and 343 for the state of competitive halo . I think it is a ridiculous concept for the white knight to come swooping in and save us .

Of course I want more transparency in the scene but like others have mentioned we want instant gratification because many of us were raised that way , well to damn bad it's not the real world we don't get everything we want immediately we have to work for it and sometimes that work takes years and years to come MLG wasn't perfect back in the day it took them awhile , I think things will get better but we have to be patient...

I do not agree that people should have to do xy and z to just to attend an event however cost of living is much higher than it was in the early 2000s and something that may have been ideal then may not be now , that being said patience everyone I am sure we will eventually have our Midwest and east coast LANs until then let's enjoy watching good halo at OC this weekend

MLG right now is bigger than competitive Halo. 

Lots of posts again missing the fact that xbox is not as popular ass back then, the fps competition is way stronger than back then.

Most Halo fans who follow the competitive scene do it already for years, we don't grow, and that is not necessarily the game's fault or how tournaments are run or where lmao.

Xbox/Microsoft missed the perfect moment when it was their turn to sponsor tournaments (around Reach time) and put the spotlight way more on their competitive scene, I mean you guys are shitting on 343 for not caring, Bungie actually was way worse in that regard.

Playstation as the main console and PC Esports were on the rise not to forget, CoD once they realized they are the most popular fps franchise and esports is getting popular they shifted everything towards it. Activision gave full support.

The CoD tourneys were full eventhough they had games with ass settings the community hated.

The EU scene in CoD is aldo way better than the Halo scene, because Halo and Xbox never was "that" big in the EU.

So don't blame Phade for saying Halo is dying. In the sense of other Esport titles (outside of prizepool) Halo is stagnant.

Even Rainbow 6 once they tried got more viewers.

Halo is sadly just not as attractive nowadays and believe me when I say it pains me to see it, cause I really do love Halo.

There are so many factors going wrong, @@Tsquared is absolutely right with the players and community aswell.

I would love to see MLG back but to believe it would fix the Halo scene is just wishful thinking.

We said the same about a proleague, a decent payout for worlds; online cups or open events.. we always say this would fix it, then we get it and nothing changes.

• Upvote (+1) 7

I'm personally a fan of savage and sarcastic Audley.

LoL Worlds started. That side of me is fully woke for my MonteCristo parody account. God bless EU 1-8 week 1.

• Upvote (+1) 2

@@Tsquared

I'm very thankful for the folks involved in halo Esports (ESL, PGL, 343i, etc), for putting in a lot of time, effort, and $ into this scene

But it's EXTREMELY, frustrating to see these efforts failing to pay off due to painfully obvious errors in execution.

1st they launched a game with no LAN support. Then decided that Esports players and the masses have to play on identical setting (and settled on settings that aren't favorable for either segment of their player base) Then they waited a year before having an Open LAN- and held it on the west coast. Not to mention they are pretending MLG doesn't exist. They also, spend time refreshing Breakout (a gametype no one likes) while the community still clamours for classic modes from previous games.

It's one thing to expect someone to suck it up and get a job to support a hobby they are passionate about. But 343 are apparently making every effort to kill people's passion. Why should anyone get a second job to support this product, when 343 is (literally and figuratively) failing to meet them halfway?

I think they should be able to handle a little bit of tough constructive criticism.

The relationship between Team Beyond/ the competitive scene and 343 is like my relationship with my latest ex. 

dropped us at the dime of a hat

This sounds like something the store brand version of the bar owner in boondock saints would say

The relationship between Team Beyond/ the competitive scene and 343 is like my relationship with my latest ex.

You'd rather get your dick sucked than find out some dude has a bigger dick but it's too late?

I've been saying Halo eSports needs MLG since the beginning of Halo 5, as a good percentage of you have been thinking or posting here, as well. From tagging @ during some of my drunk Twitter Halo rants (sorry about that), to random conversations I've had with old pros & competitors, I'm fairly confident that putting Adam and his staff at MLG in charge of Halo eSports again would help this community thrive and could potentially resemble something close to what it once was back in H2/H3.

I've seen some posts floating around various forums over the year that read to me as if some people were assuming that all we would need to do is throw an MLG logo on Halo again and we're good to go...obviously that isn't realistic. 1) The revival of Halo eSports would never be an overnight process, and 2) what MLG did for Halo eSports goes way beyond just having their logo associated with it.

There's one thing in particular that MLG did for competitive Halo back in the day that seems to be a huge issue today, though, and that's creating their own settings. H2 and H3 wasn't played on the sandbox game Bungie gave to us. In H2 it was no radar and no duals on map. In H3, it was no radar, no equipment, increased movement speed, and some forged maps. MLG created their own settings, forged some issues with Bungies maps (think The Pit base boxes), and then Bungie created "Team Hardcore" playlists with these settings/gametypes to let the community know that's the competitive playlist. MLG and the competitive community decided which settings/gametypes the competitive community would play, not Bungie. Today, it's the other way around.

This post rambled on a bit longer than I wanted, so I'll wrap it up. I've been competing in/playing/following Halo eSports since 2004. I've done most, if not all of the things Tsquared mentioned in his post. The sad truth is that I dropped out of high school to try and pursue the dream of becoming a Halo pro back in the day. Did my dream ever come true? No, but I had my chances and regret nothing. There was something special about attending an MLG event and seeing the pro players wearing their Pro badges and relaxing in the Pro Player lounge prior to matches...it made you want it. It made you want to become better so you could have those benefits while at events. Now a days, the only benefit that I can see from being a Halo pro is some Twitter followers and a head start to a potential Twitch career.

I believe the current state of Halo eSports is lacking a structure that makes the AM teams feel like they have a real chance at going Pro. I believe the current state of Halo eSports is lacking proper competitive settings. I dont believe ESL is at fault for this, I think they're just simply doing as they're told. Both of these issues I feel could be resolved by Adam & MLG if given the chance. Unfortunately, I personally wouldn't want Halo at this point if I was MLG...especially after being ignored the first time through.

Sorry for the long post, love Halo eSports and want to see it succeed again.

• Upvote (+1) 8

Lots of posts again missing the fact that xbox is not as popular ass back then, the fps competition is way stronger than back then.

Most Halo fans who follow the competitive scene do it already for years, we don't grow, and that is not necessarily the game's fault or how tournaments are run or where lmao.

Xbox/Microsoft missed the perfect moment when it was their turn to sponsor tournaments (around Reach time) and put the spotlight way more on their competitive scene, I mean you guys are shitting on 343 for not caring, Bungie actually was way worse in that regard.

Playstation as the main console and PC Esports were on the rise not to forget, CoD once they realized they are the most popular fps franchise and esports is getting popular they shifted everything towards it. Activision gave full support.

The CoD tourneys were full eventhough they had games with ass settings the community hated.

The EU scene in CoD is aldo way better than the Halo scene, because Halo and Xbox never was "that" big in the EU.

So don't blame Phade for saying Halo is dying. In the sense of other Esport titles (outside of prizepool) Halo is stagnant.

Even Rainbow 6 once they tried got more viewers.

Halo is sadly just not as attractive nowadays and believe me when I say it pains me to see it, cause I really do love Halo.

There are so many factors going wrong, @@Tsquared is absolutely right with the players and community aswell.

I would love to see MLG back but to believe it would fix the Halo scene is just wishful thinking.

We said the same about a proleague, a decent payout for worlds; online cups or open events.. we always say this would fix it, then we get it and nothing changes.

This is a lame excuse. Halo isn't as popular as it once was, but it's still the biggest console Exclusive and sells enough copies to have a sustainable competitive scene.

Halo Esports hasn't stagnated because of halo's popularity. It's due to poor execution.

Had they actually took the momentum following Worlds to create a more engaging format, there's no doubt in my mind that they'd be able to attract more participants and viewers.

But spectator mode still sucks, the esport settings still suck (they are compromised by being married to the casual settings) their open LAN decisions still suck, H5's input response still sucks, the lack of an offline MP solutions still sucks.

Yes, having a larger fanbase would allow halo to power through the shittiness.... Which makes their decisions more baffling- being a smaller esport, they should have more pressure to make the right decisions (which are all painfully obvious). It's like they keep bucking the obvious solutions for the sake just to be different.

@@Loganizareject

If you have any doubts about how good MLG would be for Halo, look at how Gears 4 Esports has been formatted. You'll instantly wish Halo was handled IDENTICALLY.

Tbf, gears actually has Offline MP support which makes it more logistically feasible.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

I wish I could be as optimistic as some of the people on this forum. How do you ignore the fact that 343 have never done anything right at all? Even their games haven't got better and you still come on this forum and say things like "just be respectful" or "give them time" or "its not as bad as it was last year" or "next game will definitely be better" etc. Are you incapable of understanding when there's a structural problem? 343 is the constant. Until everyone realizes this, nothing will change. 

• Upvote (+1) 1