CyReN

HCS Pro League Fall 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Here's a question, I think I know the answer but I would like to make sure.

Would you guys, as a community and an AM perspective, rather see 1 open event with a 50/60/70k prize pool or 2 with like 20/25. I guess 3 if you count UGC? But that one really isn't the same.

Also keep in mind there would be a season finals still for pro league in this scenario.

if pro teams are unwilling to go to events with 20k prize pools then i'd rather see 1 open event with a 40k prize pool. while i love seeing amateur teams upset pro teams, the real reason i watch tournaments is to see how pro teams stack up against one another and if only half of the pro teams go to open events it'll kill interest and viewership

• Upvote (+1) 1

More events = more storylines = more entertaining

Not if less teams end up going. 1 event with all 8 pro teams > 3 events with half or less each time. 

We need a miracle to make 343/Xbox rise the prize amount for these LAN events.

No, we need more grassroots events and we need support from the players to grow the scene organically. Pro players need to go to these events to grow Halo as a whole, people thinking that isnot worth it to go are thinking short term, long term we need to grow the scene.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

No, we need more grassroots events and we need support from the players to grow the scene organically. Pro players need to go to these events to grow Halo as a whole, people thinking that isnot worth it to go are thinking short term, long term we need to grow the scene.

Not going to happen as long as Xbox one doesnt have LAN support. GFG was a complete shitshow because we play on a bad console. 343 could have fixed this by integrating LAN support on Halo 5 forge

• Upvote (+1) 2

Would you guys, as a community and an AM perspective, rather see 1 open event with a 50/60/70k prize pool or 2 with like 20/25. I guess 3 if you count UGC? But that one really isn't the same.

Also keep in mind there would be a season finals still for pro league in this scenario.

This really isn't a question to be answered by fans. The fans want to watch Halo played by great players at the highest level. The more of it the better, simple as that. Shit, I'd love to see 10 LAN events where all the best teams and rising AM players all could get together and compete.

However the logistics of the era we live in doesn't support it. It doesn't make sense to the promoters/organizers/developers or the players. Running LAN events, from what I've seen/heard, isn't really a way to create profits. It's more of a way to satisfy an audience while breaking even so we can create an infrastructure around our game that supports other monetary channels (game sales, ad revenue, streaming partnerships, merchandising, reqs/skins/addons/etc).

And it's clear that most players today aren't going to come out for pocket money anymore, there has to be real monetary inventive. It isn't H2 days, splitting a <10k check 4 ways, minus a coach/analysis/org cut (or whatever they decide) just isn't going to get players to spend money on travel/hotel/time-off/etc. By the time all is said and done they aren't taking much home individually in those cases. And while fans want more events, it's more a double edge sword for players. More events mean more travel costs. But it does provide more opportunities. Tough call for players I'm sure.

I think the question I have is, what type of money (minumum) do Pro Halo teams think is necessary to get them to come out to a LAN. Then promoters/organizers/developers can determine how best to optimize the number of events they can provide with the amount of money they are willing to put into Halo. In an ideal world this would be a negotiation between all parties involved.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Eric just got a Killatacular against OpTic in the first game of their scrim

And judging from TJ's POV it was sickkk  :intensifies:

kcdX4IO.png

I need to see this Killtac like I need air to live.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

i thought about putting a location question in there, but tbh that stuff just. Blows my mind regardless that they are currently all west coast. Although I think Vegas is a cool location for 1 event.

Vegas and OC are both great locations, but as the only options for a season, it's just a bad idea.

I doubt most players want to Dreamrider their way across country twice in 2 months, regardless of prize pool.

"If these handful of pro teams don't attend this essentially meaningless low stakes event halo is gonna die"

Yeah ok

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 6

I think as spectators more events is always better. I'm pretty sure the community can understand the players' perspective regarding the modest prize pools and its impact on whether or not the trip is "worth it"...but I don't think 1 LAN a year is enough to build and maintain a fanbase the way H2/H3 did (that is the goal right?). Fans/AMs want to see their favorite teams compete in an intense/live environment regardless of prize pool and they don't want to wait for 1 event a year to do it.

It kind of sucks as a fan to finally have an opportunity to watch (maybe even meet) the teams that they watch on Twitch every single week only to find out that half of the pros don't even care to attend. Honestly just miss the days when teams showed up to every event to compete and prove that they were better than everyone else. Obviously most pro's are older now and have to think about income but still, those were the glory days.

I'm curious, what locations got the best turnout with competitors/spectators? @MrMLGAdam

I believe Columbus and Dallas usually have the best turnouts but I'm also curious to know where Orlando and Meadowlands stack up.

This nV Optic series is exactly why the servers have to be fixed. Player lagging out of almost every match lot of the time very early in the match

Yeah I have not lagged out of a game in almost 5 months and the past 4days I've lagged out of 6 and it seems like most games are laggy as fk and the frame rate is slow

• Upvote (+1) 2

I believe Columbus and Dallas usually have the best turnouts but I'm also curious to know where Orlando and Meadowlands stack up.

The Orlando Reach event I attended felt like it wasn't as populated as either Columbus event or even Raleigh.

Orlando is kinda a weird place for "East Coast" because it's still really far away for a lot of people.  Hell, I live in Alabama and it's a 10 or 12-hour drive for me.

Bubu Ninja'd:

https://clips.twitch.tv/spartanthedogg/GleamingQueleaBionicBunion

• Upvote (+1) 3

The Orlando Reach event I attended felt like it wasn't as populated as either Columbus event or even Raleigh.

Orlando is kinda a weird place for "East Coast" because it's still really far away for a lot of people.  Hell, I live in Alabama and it's a 10 or 12-hour drive for me.

Bubu Ninja'd:

https://clips.twitch.tv/spartanthedogg/GleamingQueleaBionicBunion

Yeah, 2011, 2007 and 2006 were tiny but 2010, 2009 and 2008 were LIT. Halo 3 was the peak of popularity though so..