CyReN

HCS Pro League Fall 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Please just make finals a 3 day tourney, all teams get to attend and the league is for seeding. 7/8 play regulation on Friday and it leads to an 8 team tourney on Saturday/Sunday. It's not too late, but it may seem more complicated than that  :lxthul: And @@Timo, does it make sense that 2 teams that play for 3 months in a league get virtually nothing and are only playing to maintain their spot? They don't get a chance to win either, and they've been in the league

No offense, and I'm sure you won't take any, but I doubt they listen unless a player from a team closer to the top of the standings speaks up.

I 100% agree with what you're saying, but they could read it as biased obviously, since you guys have an uphill battle to qualify.

I'd like to know what the pros think in general, though. I think relegation with those two winners joining an 8 team tourney would be dope as hell. Imagine if an Open Circuit team knocked off a Pro League team and then finished well that weekend. It'd be a riot.

By the way- I'm glad you're back in aPGod mode:) You were one of my favorite pros growing up, and it's nice that you're seeming to enjoy yourself again. The recovery process for concussions is no fucking joke.

I said the same thing about Ola when he re-emerged from the ashes.

• Upvote (+1) 4

@@Sal1ent Is having a "home server" added to the menus of Halo 5 an option in the future? Using this, you would have 9 xboxs for a 4v4 game, with 1 xbox acting as the server. Similar to what @@Apoll0 recommended last page for PC.

• Upvote (+1) 8

Just a thought, with Halo 5 PC being available, can we not use that for "LAN". Pros like Royal 2 have said to not have aiming issues. All we we would have to do is restrict Mouse + KB and use only controllers. 

I haven't tried H5 PC so I dont know if it has server issues, maybe someone can comment on that. 

This could really be a great idea. If it's possible we could also use forge maps in the HCS since we wouldn't have to use 343's special build for events either. Win-win.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I don't really see the appeal in teams playing for an entire season simply for seeds. It's like sending all NBA or NFL teams to playoffs. 

I appreciate you coming here to discuss this with us. Hopefully you see that very few people share this viewpoint. It's just wacky for 2 teams to be completely left out come Finals. Only having online competition is not fun for spectators and competitors alike.

• Upvote (+1) 4

So just my two thoughts, what if we had the open bracket teams face the two lowest seeded teams in relegations. Then the two teams that make it out of relegation face the 5/6 seeded teams. With the two teams that win that get too play at finals starting from in the losers bracket. This way relegations still happen. The 5/6 seeds get an advantage over the lower seeds but not against the 1-4 seeded teams. And the open bracket teams have a shot at making it finals even if it's a super low chance.

Pretty similar to my solution, Top 4 in winners bracket, 5&6 start in losers, relegation winners start losers. Seems fair even if an Am team won the whole thing that would be the greatest feat of all time. It would probably create a TON of hype.

@@Sal1ent Is having a "home server" added to the menus of Halo 5 an option in the future? Using this, you would have 9 xboxs for a 4v4 game, with 1 xbox acting as the server. Similar to what @@Apoll0 recommended last page for PC.

hmm.. Halo 5 Neutral Host Edition? It took about 3+ years but the Halo CE community was able to achieve this with Halo CE NHE but it took a ridiculous amount of effort due to numerous reasons that probably wouldn't exist in Halo 5. All tournaments are now played this way and it makes a huge difference plus it's the most fair option on LAN.

• Upvote (+1) 4

best part about halo 5 is how the game will be absolutely dead once the servers are shut down  :kappa:

True dat, we had a LAN for CE and H2 for my buddies 30th birthday party. 20 guys showed up for it, 6 original xboxes, some of the guys never played it. I shit on all of them so hard it was wonderful.

Halo 5 will never have this in 15 years.

• Upvote (+1) 8

True dat, we had a LAN for CE and H2 for my buddies 30th birthday party. 20 guys showed up for it, 6 original xboxes, some of the guys never played it. I shit on all of them so hard it was wonderful.

Halo 5 will never have this in 15 years.

Great games never die. I absolutely can't wait for next year's Beach LAN.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izDBjTuQE34

EDIT: At the end of the video you can hear the crowd go absolutely nuts. That is actually the crowd at the LAN there but it wasn't in response to the sniper clip in the video. It was in response to McDick and PhatBastard beating Patch and Legend on Priz TS 50-48. This was after a couple wins in favor of Patch and Legend with scores like 50-25. Absolutely amazing.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Great games never die. I absolutely can't wait for next year's Beach LAN.

video

I wish they'd run Halo 2 tournaments sometimes :\

• Upvote (+1) 5

its boring to watch and play when you have to move at a snail's pace to not have the game spoon feed your location to the enemy. It's not boring when you can move at a normal speed without the game spoon feeding your location to the enemy.

Fair enough. But I was referring to the people who get mad when people crouch up too them. Not from the viewers prospective of watching a pro crouch.

I've been complaining since day one. Actually the most overpowered thing in the game. 

Yeah, they're pretty bad. Nerf plz.

No radar would make flanks way more effective, and it would be easier to break setups. People crouch/camp and they know exactly when someone is coming. It makes it much easier to use the true noob combo of H5, spam auto then beatdown. If you must have radar increase its range, and only show up if you are shooting/sprinting/thrusting/ect...  That way it keeps flanks in check to some degree without the need for crab walking so often.

I can definitely see no radar at all making the games harder to control and set up. So it seems like a fair compromise to use modded radar.

I'm for a modded radar, but people seem to not like that idea.

Thanks for the replies. :)

• Upvote (+1) 1

So what we have now is a stream that shows the top 4 teams play for season champs. 5th/6th just sit at home and watch. And the first half of relegation had to be streamed on periscope... I'm not even going to mention the player aspect of this. This is completely a spectator/ outside view.

As a spectator, who wants to watch months of online games to only have 1 day to watch actual competitive halo (LAN)? Who is going to buy tickets to go watch a LAN live if there are only a handful of games that they get to watch? What if your favorite team doesn't make either relegation or finals? It is very hard to grow the halo scene when there is very little halo being played on the biggest stage.

Also when orgs look in at halo they are going to see that there are only 8 teams that are going to get any attention during the season. Then at the end of the season, the two last place orgs could be kicked out of pro league, two (5/6) orgs get no media attention because their players are sitting on a couch watching. So we are really left with 4 goods spots to be in. If an org is all about selling their brand the current halo setup is not going to entice them to pick up a team.

• Upvote (+1) 6

So what we have now is a stream that shows the top 4 teams play for season champs. 5th/6th just sit at home and watch. And the first half of relegation had to be streamed on periscope... I'm not even going to mention the player aspect of this. This is completely a spectator/ outside view.

As a spectator who wants to watch months of online games to only have 1 day to watch actual competitive halo (LAN)? Who is going to buy tickets to go watch a LAN live if there are only a handful of games that they get to watch? What if your favorite team doesn't make either relegation or finals? It is very hard to grow the halo scene when there is very little halo being played kn the biggest stage.

Also when orgs look in at halo they are going to see that there are only 8 teams that are going to get any attention during the season. Then at the end of the season, the two last place orgs could be kicked out of pro league, two (5/6) orgs get no media attention because their players are sitting on a couch watching. So we are really left with 4 goods spots to be in. If an org is all about selling their brand the current halo setup is not going to entice them to pick up a team.

Well said, it just seems like a every odd way to handle a LAN concluding the Pro League.  The Pro League games being 100% online to decide seeding isn't a bad idea.  But then arbitrarily limiting the LAN participation based off that is a terrible idea.  

It should include a minimum of 6 teams.  Preferably 8 teams after the relegation get's decided. that is a great way to get some exposure to lesser known players, add excitement for the viewers, etc.

• Upvote (+1) 2

It baffles me that 2 teams just sit out of everything at the end of the season. What is there to gain from this?

• Upvote (+1) 7

I wish they'd run Halo 2 tournaments sometimes :\

I'd love a large scale Halo 2 tournament as well. If there was to ever be one realistically, I would expect that it would have to take place at the eSportsArena in California. AFAIK they're the only ones even interested in something like that. I can't see anyone doing a "Beach LAN" for Halo 2 even though that was talked about quite a bit in the H2 Discord. Beach LAN truly exists purely through a community effort and theres a ton of people who come together to make it possible.

I feel that same community effort is required out of Halo 2's community to generate interest in their game again. They have the benefit of having a larger community but in my opinion with Halo CE being LAN only at the time it established a deeper root into attending/supporting LANs/Events.  I know Zyfe is a great guy and has been working to figure stuff out but I'll reach back out to him and see if anything developed further. I would absolutely travel out west for a Halo CE, Halo 2 or Shadowrun tournament.

Pretty similar to my solution, Top 4 in winners bracket, 5&6 start in losers, relegation winners start losers. Seems fair even if an Am team won the whole thing that would be the greatest feat of all time. It would probably create a TON of hype.

This has been my hope as well. If time is the issue, then play the less important matches off-stream, run 2 streams, or find ways to minimize downtime.

I've literally been asking for this since Daytona. 343 pls.

Fair enough. But I was referring to the people who get mad when people crouch up too them. Not from the viewers prospective of watching a pro crouch.

Yeah, they're pretty bad. Nerf plz.

I'm for a modded radar, but people seem to not like that idea.

I'm not a fan of modded radar because every suggestion I hear about it seems to be either increase the size or make it Spartan Ability-only. Increased size and shooting-only would be ok, IMO but I'm opposed to punishing players for taking advantage of the game's movement options and I'd prefer no-radar to any of the other options.

If the goal of motion sensor is to encourage structured play and allow players who make overly-risky plays to be punished, I feel like that would be better accomplished with faster pistol kill-times.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I don't really see the appeal in teams playing for an entire season simply for seeds. It's like sending all NBA or NFL teams to playoffs. 

Comparing online Halo to sports is utterly ridiculous.  

Because of the gambling incident in AW, MLG had 12 teams play for seeding and they were all invited to LAN finals.  The tournament didn't lose any appeal and was still extremely exciting to watch.  

I could understand your unwillingness to change the format if finals was soon, but you guys have over 2 months to make adjustments from 4 teams to a whopping 8.  

• Upvote (+1) 2

Please see any MLG national championship between '07 and '10.

• Upvote (+1) 4