CyReN

HCS Pro League Fall 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Unreall is going in. And I kinda like it. But definitely not because he has a Rick avi.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Holy shit dude. You can only post no more than a 5mb gifs. You just posted a 90mb one!

Whoops. Didn't even think about size limits.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Dude... seriously don't make it personal. This is how the forums get a bad name, and get called toxic. APG is being constructive, you are being destructive.

You're right.

• Upvote (+1) 9

How about instead of spending your time looking for criticism to defend, like literally every other 343 employee does, you actually try to provide a tournament structure that isn't completely farcical? Yes I'm a forum troll, and you're the ESL employee we're all supposed to appreciate on the forum, but until Halo isn't a complete joke you're really not in a position to sit on your high horse. 

You say the community should run tournaments. PLEASE do. We all love to see more tournaments ran. That is why people like the ESA or PGL guys are badasses.

I don't see what is preventing you personally from running tournaments at a community level. 

Guys you're trying to use reason and logic. This is not a strategy that 343 or ESL are familiar with. If this @@Timo guy is legit saying he can't comprehend why a team that does bad online shouldn't be able to win a LAN, or that only 4 teams should go to the finals and screw the rest, then you might as well bang your head against a wall. It's this sort of ignorance and ego that is destroying competitive console FPS. Just let the community be in charge like in Smash or CSGO for a while. I'm sick of marketing grads being put in charge of huge franchises. Quinn Del Hoyo ruined Gears of War then was given the reigns to Halo. What is actually going on?

I'm watching ESL CSGO right now though, they've been one of the driving forces in that game since before it was released pretty much.

I can understand why you wouldn't let the relegated teams / am teams into the tourney, the idea is that you promote stability. With how fucky Halo can be with swapping players what's to stop a team just saying "fuck it" and go through AM at the cost of the creditability of two league spots (assuming they would break the rules in order to get the desired team).

I would like to see the remaining 6 teams play at LAN though.

He probably has similar event operating experience to the amount of Halo experience you guys had when you took over the esports program.

:)

Yep. That is why I kept my mouth shut and worked. 

Yep. That is why I kept my mouth shut and worked. 

Except you didn't, you made an appeal to authority and completely ignored the real issues with Online Pro League.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

That would mean that theoretically a team that has not played in the season could win first place and the prize pool. 

Intuitively, it doesn't really make sense to me that a team which did not participate in the season, can become the season champion.

Thanks for the response Timo, we appreciate you being so active on the forums. This season is really shaping up to be much better than last.

I have to disagree though, personally I would really love to see an Am team grind through to the Relegation Tournament, catch fire and win the whole thing. That would be absolutely beautiful! If they can win their way into the season ending tournament, and beat the winner bracket team twice, they will have earned their spot, and victory.

Maybe the pro's could weigh in on whether or not they think that an Am team winning the LAN would be fair, they would be the ones it affects. As a spectator, that would be epic.

There would be a TON of advantage to placing top 4 so the pro league standings still matter a lot. As much as we enjoy the online league, we all know that LAN >>>>> Online, therefore any team winning the LAN deserves it.

• Upvote (+1) 8

I don't know much of anything, but the current approach only makes sense to me if online play isn't broken.

But it is. 

Any conversation has to begin there, which is exactly what APG did. 

• Upvote (+1) 6

You're being sarcastic to community members about running events when you're working as an agency to run funded programs. Don't bite the hand that feeds and that hand happens to be attached to the community.

Happy Friday.

I know we had our differences in the past, but you sir, are THE definition of professional.  Much respect.

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Is ESL going to run open events? Why does the community have to bear that burden. If you feel the program needs it, are you going to operate it as the alpha operator in the eco system?

When I first started working in games at 15 or 16, unpaid, I did not view it as a burden, but as a pleasure and loved it for my passion of games. I think you had a very similar experience as you recently stated on Twitter, right? 

Nobody should do anything they feel is a burden. But if people have a burning passion to create something, I think there should be nothing holding them back. 

Here is to the goal that the evolution of the HCS will never stop. 

Happy Friday, Adam. :) 

I don't really see the appeal in teams playing for an entire season simply for seeds. It's like sending all NBA or NFL teams to playoffs.

Well, even if YOU don't, players and fans have just stated that they prefer it this way. So we can go based on what appeals to you, or we can go with what appeals to players and fans. Your move.
  • Upvote (+1) 9
  • Downvote (-1) 1