CyReN

HCS Pro League Fall 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Unpopular opinion: Splinters are absolutely overpowered. That said, they're the best addition to an otherwise stale grenade sandbox to date.

Its pretty annoying to get directed with them, and they do seem to 'connect' more often than plasmas, but they're just so useful and powerful as a tool for changing map dynamics. The best splinter grenades don't even generally kill anyone, they keep someone alive.

One shot p2 with an enemy p3? Unless you have a splinter to cut off a door and buy a second, you're dead.

Capping nest on the rig and theyre flying from e1/e2? Splinter the jump box/over pass and you might have bought enough time to finish the stronghold.

I did agree with them really toning down the number of them on maps, but I really enjoy having them in the game. Grenades have been pretty played out after a decade+

• Upvote (+1) 7

Unpopular opinion: Splinters are absolutely overpowered. That said, they're the best addition to an otherwise stale grenade sandbox to date.

Vote Smoke Grenades 2016! :simms:

• Upvote (+1) 3

That would give AM players more incentive than just making it to just Pro League.

Back in the MLG days, 16 AM teams would make it out and any of those teams could win an event. I forgot what team it was, maybe Storm Ventures? But they made it out of AM and got 3rd one event and it was incredible to watch for Halo 2. Also, 5K came out of nowhere (they were gods online) and placed 4th at MLG Charlotte 2007.

Right, but there you are talking about a run in a single tournament rather than teams qualifying for the tournament across 7 weeks. I think that makes a difference. 

Please just make finals a 3 day tourney, all teams get to attend and the league is for seeding. 7/8 play regulation on Friday and it leads to an 8 team tourney on Saturday/Sunday. It's not too late, but it may seem more complicated than that  :lxthul: And @@Timo, does it make sense that 2 teams that play for 3 months in a league get virtually nothing and are only playing to maintain their spot? They don't get a chance to win either, and they've been in the league

I don't really see the appeal in teams playing for an entire season simply for seeds. It's like sending all NBA or NFL teams to playoffs. 

Or maybe it's because of losing an organization that is well renowned days before Pro League? That would mentally be kinda depressing to me. I don't think they are saying LOL to the league. It's more LOL we got screwed. They show promise and they try hard every game from what I've seen. They have had a lot of adversity lately and I'm very proud of them for sticking the course. 

Eyyyy. Would ya look at that? You go LOL! I ain't even mad at you.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Also, you don't "just" add another day of competition to a tournament and broadcasts. People seem to like to forget that all of this costs money: player travel, equipment, staffing, venue costs...

This is why it's important to always look at peoples opinions with a grain of salt even if they're considered a Halo pro. Not every Halo pro is informed on what changes are required in order for Halo to be fully optimized for competitive play. Not every Halo pro knows what's best for Halo from a competitive settings standpoint.

He was right about the storm rifle needing a nerf but he was completely wrong about it being the only detrimental aspect of the game that needs to be changed. Also his "adapt" argument when defending to keep radar in the competitive settings is pretty weak. We don't need to value ignorant opinions such as his because they're ill-informed and most likely don't have any solid foundations to support their arguments.

This is for anybody in here that is getting burned out on Halo 5's matchmaking settings and are looking for a decent alternative to it. I highly recommend trying out Halo 5's "Evolved" settings that the community has made.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=E68YL-zL6lE

Yeah, demon d won a national championship. After watching this video I wouldn't trust him to make settings for halo or to do much of anything else for that matter even though he was a skillful player

• Upvote (+1) 3

The Patriots went 18-0 and lost in the Super Bowl to the New York Giants (Wild Card Team). If no Wild Card, then there would have been no crazy upset and memorable Super Bowl.

Regular season means nothing at LAN events.

Apologies to Pats fans for these horrible memories btw.

F#$KING DAVID TYREE!!!!

• Upvote (+1) 3

I mean CoD does it, and you're simply missing out on some amazing matches. Imagine if Liquid from season 1 got to play in the actual tournament, they would've been giving those top 4 teams a run for their money. Not to mention this game is broken and continuously gets worse in terms of online play. There are players who exceed on LAN and players who can only play their best in the comfortability of their home in their DXRacer. Not everyone has the opportunity to have amazing internet and to sit next to each other at a team house all season. You're just creating more stress for the players each and every week that is completely unnecessary. Plus you're going to tell me it's more logical for players to play in a league just to keep their spot rather than them wanting to get the best seed in the end so they can win the big tournament...? And I'm sure it couldn't be THAT difficult to add another day to tournaments considering how fast games tend to go and how much downtime there is + finals isn't even until december. In my head this seems very logical and 100% should've been implemented this season, not a random month long break after week three. Sorry if this is harsh, I'm just very upset that competitive halo is now being forced to rely on online only performances and we're only taking steps backwards.

giphy.gif

• Upvote (+1) 2

I don't really see the appeal in teams playing for an entire season simply for seeds. It's like sending all NBA or NFL teams to playoffs. 

I would argue that all the AM teams constitute the equivalent of the rest of the league, not the 7th and 8th seeds.

I would also argue that tournaments more along the lines of Pax East 2015 are a hell of a lot more exciting than tournaments along the line of this year's worlds. One series on Sunday that ended in a fast 4-0? Give me a break. The more action, the better. 

The Patriots went 18-0 and lost in the Super Bowl to the New York Giants (Wild Card Team). If no Wild Card, then there would have been no crazy upset and memorable Super Bowl.

Regular season means nothing at LAN events.

Apologies to Pats fans for these horrible memories btw.

Not sure if possible, but we always seem to be put in this spot where we hear things are always too late. Is there any way to you could talk to community leaders, Pro Players, etc and get their feedback on formats and ideas for the HCS. Would filter out unpopular ideas easily.

TRIGGERED

• Upvote (+1) 1

Please just make finals a 3 day tourney, all teams get to attend and the league is for seeding. 7/8 play regulation on Friday and it leads to an 8 team tourney on Saturday/Sunday. It's not too late, but it may seem more complicated than that  :lxthul: And @@Timo, does it make sense that 2 teams that play for 3 months in a league get virtually nothing and are only playing to maintain their spot? They don't get a chance to win either, and they've been in the league

I do agree with this slightly, but I'd also argue that those 2 teams had 3 months to earn their chance to win.  Just like in any sport, not all of the teams in the league have a chance at making the playoffs.  Allowing all teams to have a chance at winning the ship could potentially result in top teams half assing it throughout league play knowing they're going to be in the playoffs regardless.  BUT, just like in any sport again, most professional leagues have a Wildcard game that's played for teams that had a not-so-great regular season, which is where I agree with you.

3 months is a decent amount of time for a team to put into a league, and I feel that if you've made the Pro League, you should be given the chance to win the ship regardless of the regular season you had.  In the end, it's literally 1 extra Bo5 series that would have to be played, and could potentially result in some pretty interesting underdog stories that would be entertaining to watch.

• Upvote (+1) 3

we're only taking steps backwards.

everything you said holds merit, but what is quoted rubbed me the wrong way. In no way is what we have currently a step backwards. A step backwards would mean no league, no events, no payouts(agl brad) and no quality stream(among a plethora of other things). The halo "rebirth" isnt skyrocketing but it is trending upwards. Things have gotten better season after season, and esl has shown it can improve on itself. Im not saying i disagree with you on the league structure or layout, but i do disagree with you on saying we're taking steps backwards.

• Upvote (+1) 8
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Guys you're trying to use reason and logic. This is not a strategy that 343 or ESL are familiar with. If this @@Timo guy is legit saying he can't comprehend why a team that does bad online shouldn't be able to win a LAN, or that only 4 teams should go to the finals and screw the rest, then you might as well bang your head against a wall. It's this sort of ignorance and ego that is destroying competitive console FPS. Just let the community be in charge like in Smash or CSGO for a while. I'm sick of marketing grads being put in charge of huge franchises. Quinn Del Hoyo ruined Gears of War then was given the reigns to Halo. What is actually going on?

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 17

Guys you're trying to use reason and logic. This is not a strategy that 343 or ESL are familiar with. If this @@Timo guy is legit saying he can't comprehend why a team that does bad online shouldn't be able to win a LAN, or that only 4 teams should go to the finals and screw the rest, then you might as well bang your head against a wall. It's this sort of ignorance and ego that is destroying competitive console FPS. Just let the community be in charge like in Smash or CSGO for a while. I'm sick of marketing grads being put in charge of huge franchises. Quinn Del Hoyo ruined Gears of War then was given the reigns to Halo. What is actually going on?

I must have missed the last tournament you hosted? I'll gladly drop by to learn. DM me for date and location. :) 

TRIGGERED

Holy shit dude. You can only post no more than a 5mb gifs. You just posted a 90mb one!

• Upvote (+1) 2

I must have missed the last tournament you hosted? I'll gladly drop by to learn. DM me for date and location. :)

How about instead of spending your time looking for criticism to defend, like literally every other 343 employee does, you actually try to provide a tournament structure that isn't completely farcical? Yes I'm a forum troll, and you're the ESL employee we're all supposed to appreciate on the forum, but until Halo isn't a complete joke you're really not in a position to sit on your high horse. 

• Upvote (+1) 10
  • Downvote (-1) 19