CyReN

HCS Pro League Fall 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Honestly I feel as though most of the competitive maps play fine (coming from someone who only plays TS), its just aesthetically they all look/feel the same. 

I feel like I'm in the same environment in so many maps, it just gets boring to look at after awhile. Don't even get me started about the DLC maps, I know they are free but they literally copy pasted elements from maps to the new ones (plaza yellow area to overgrowth) (fathom flag areas to riptide). 

If we look back at halo 3, the map pool may not have been as deep but at least we got variety. Heretic, Pit, Guardian, and Construct were all beautiful and unique. 

I think having Radar kills any competitiveness that Construct would have had.

In a weird sense, I think the many different levels of verticality Construct had might make radar play okay.

Compared to maps where there are only two distinct vertical levels, Construct would be harder to pinpoint.

Or maybe I'm completely wrong. Who knows.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Haven wasn't that great of a map, just great compared to the map pool.

Haven slayer was literally a coin flip. Extraction was consistent, but slayer anyone could win

• Upvote (+1) 2

In a weird sense, I think the many different levels of verticality Construct had might make radar play okay.

Compared to maps where there are only two distinct vertical levels, Construct would be harder to pinpoint.

Or maybe I'm completely wrong. Who knows.

With portals instead of the side lifts I'd agree. Unfortunately the lifts guarantee you appear on radar and your exit is completely predictable.

This is absolutely gorgeous, though. If this is settling, I don't think I can handle whatever not settling looks like.

wyuiVO4.jpg?1

Reminds me of Bloodborne meets Mass Effect, pretty cool actually.

I think making "remake maps" is harder in H5 because sprint/thrust/clamber/stabilize. Those movement mechanics could absolutely destroy the flow of a great pre-COD-ified Halo map and make it too chaotic. I look forward to seeing how this plays, could be a really fun MM map at worst.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

With portals instead of the side lifts I'd agree. Unfortunately the lifts guarantee you appear on radar and your exit is completely predictable.

What if you can thrust from open to close (visa versa) mid port though  :apg:

Haven wasn't that great of a map, just great compared to the map pool.

Haven slayer was literally a coin flip. Extraction was consistent, but slayer anyone could win

Exactly, it was a trash map comparing it to maps in previous games, but it was ok as a H4 map.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

He wasn't a prophet :(

.....I know that lol. Just figured If they are gonna name maps off of characters...they'd eventually go with him. Especially with Brutes being relevant again with Halo Wars 2 lol

Haven was terrible? For h4 it was ok, but all the others were just slightly more terrible. Give me a lockout ish or sanctuary. Or some of pwnytars h1 maps would be great in h5.

If you define solid maps as those that function on the bare minimum, then sure they are solid.

I find there is nothing unique about them to really challenge players on different play styles. Most of them feel like they could be slapped together as one giant map with the same personality.

You look at CE and no map feels samey. They all function and challenge players in different ways. Chill Out has high map flow with lots of cqc. Prisoner is fast, vertical and challenges footwork. Damnation is similar but slow and plodding. Hang em High is more wide open and has a lot of long range fighting. Rat Race is all about flanking. Battle Creek is more challenging geometrically and has non traditional sight lines to exploit. Derelict is a constant tug of war for top control with both teams nervous about either losing their dominant position or wondering if they can break top control before the game gets out of hand.

I really can't think of descriptors like this for Halo 5s maps.

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Haven was terrible? For h4 it was ok, but all the others were just slightly more terrible. Give me a lockout ish or sanctuary. Or some of pwnytars h1 maps would be great in h5.

Haven was a legit good map regardless.  Its not just that it was better than the rest of the dogshit that was Halo 4, though i see how that colors perception a bit.

I really want to see a redone Sanctuary.  It was one of my favorite maps and with some tweaks i think it could work really well in Halo 5. I could absolutely see both Haven and re-done sanctuary having a place in HCS.  Remove some cover from the rock garden, make it harder to get to Ring 3. score

• Upvote (+1) 3

If you define solid maps as those that function on the bare minimum, then sure they are solid.

I define solid as those which are fun to play on and produce exciting matches to watch.

Imo every map I’ve said was solid meets those criteria.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm actually happy to see Haven. It was a pretty solid map and it should translate really well into H5 unlike the majority of remakes would. What I'm not happy about is the idea of hearing how <insert H2/H3 map that I've played 2000+ times> should be remade and put in the rotation.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm just waiting for a map with two snipers. If 343 wanted to remake a map why couldn't it be sanctuary

Plz no, the sniper is way too easy.
  • Upvote (+1) 1