CyReN

HCS Pro League Fall 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Extraction on Station 9.5

Ship it.

Jokes aside, Extraction was dope. One of the things Halo 4 did right.

Guys, what is Extraction and how does it play? I never played 4 so I have no clue. What makes it a good competitive gametype? Pls help so I can pitchfork for it with you

• Upvote (+1) 2

One of the most fun events I ever attended as a freelance caster and the PGL guys where awesome to work with. Best of luck to them with Open, excited to see what they do in Vegas!

such a fun event :)

• Upvote (+1) 1

Guys, what is Extraction and how does it play? I never played 4 so I have no clue. What makes it a good competitive gametype? Pls help so I can pitchfork for it with you

https://youtu.be/hoJ4u4GOIVo?t=1390

Give this a watch.

• Upvote (+1) 3

@@ahawowow

Do you actually think ESL have done a good job of the pro league this season?

ESL did a tremendous job in HCS H2A, throughout seasons 1 and 2 the production and organisation was incredible, DESPITE MCC being a broken game.

However this season of the Pro League has permanently damaged the reputation of ESL in my opinion, and yes, some of the issues were also 343's fault. To name a few of the issues:

Problems from 343:

• Shit spectator mode
  • No open LANs (or any LANs for that matter)
  • Bad marketing
  • Casting is bad (saved by T2)

Problems from ESL:

• No rulebook published
  • Tickets and venue announced 2 weeks prior to the event (????)
  • Bad production quality in regular season (intervals too long, lag outs, etc)
  • Also some stream issues in the finals (time outs)
  • Where were the payouts (distribution and total figure)

ALL of these need to be fixed soon.

Improvements from HWC:

Double Elimination. Thats it.

• Upvote (+1) 7
  • Downvote (-1) 4

I hope an Open Circuit team places in the money at both of the LANs and makes more money than Optic over the course of the season as a result.

I would want to see this too, but not specifically to Optic. I never really root against anyone, but I love rooting for underdogs.

You say this like the lack of this one seemingly infallible company is the absolute end-all-be-all in whether HCS succeeds or not. That's not the case. With or without MLG, I'd say we're in a fine spot at the moment and going to war with the dev/TO over this isn't going to help anything and probably only have a negative impact.

During Halo 4, we weren't in a fine spot. Change needed to happen. Breakout was absolute trash, it needed to be gone. Double-elimination is essential to a fair Halo event. That needed to be changed. One specific tournament organizer running everything? Not quite so important, imo.

For reals though, I'm done with this. I expect my rep bar to be 200 lower by the time I wake up.

What I am saying is we should never just accept things. I am gonna enjoy hell of a lot of everything we gonna get this season. You know what ? I like Esl. I think they really are passionate about Halo and they really are improving. But when it comes to open lans, Mlg is the king and they should be taking care of it.

Are we in a good spot ? Sure. Am I jealous of Gears pro circuit ? Hell yeah. Will I try to push for Mlg involvement with Hcs ? Fucking yes.

• Upvote (+1) 1

@@ahawowow

Do you actually think ESL have done a good job of the pro league this season?

ESL did a tremendous job in HCS H2A, throughout seasons 1 and 2 the production and organisation was incredible, DESPITE MCC being a broken game.

However this season of the Pro League has permanently damaged the reputation of ESL in my opinion, and yes, some of the issues were also 343's fault. To name a few of the issues:

Problems from 343:

• Shit spectator mode
  • No open LANs (or any LANs for that matter)
  • Bad marketing
  • Casting is bad (saved by T2)
Problems from ESL:
  • No rulebook published
ALL of these need to be fixed soon.

Improvements from HWC:

Double Elimination. Thats it.

ESL fixed the majority of their problems for season 2.
  • Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Problems from ESL:

to be fair i feel like 343 might have been responsible for a lot of these

just for the record i really love esl and what they've done for halo so far

https://youtu.be/hoJ4u4GOIVo?t=1390

Give this a watch.

I could get down with some extraction.  Would love to see some new maps for it to be played on.  Seems they need to be slightly bigger than our current ones. Didn't watch a whole lot of H4.  What map was that in the video?

On a separate note, I watched a little bit of the oddball game just after it.  I miss oddball.  Could just be me, but I'd like to see more maps like that one as well.

Extraction on Station 9.5

Ship it.

Jokes aside, Extraction was dope. One of the things Halo 4 did right.

Extraction was pretty much my fav thing about H4.  We would definitely need some new maps for it though.

I know people tend to blame the Orlando trip as a reason why Optic was not involved in any of the team changes but as a fan of Optic as a whole I honestly think they really had no chance at getting any better players than they are getting now. Only possible chance was if Ace and Str8 Sick was a To2 and looked for two others to compliment them. It saddens me to say this but there is a good chance they are relegated this season. :mj:

• Upvote (+1) 1

I know the rosters aren't official yet, but do we know which orgs will be involved with the HCS this season?

MLG is great. No doubt. The Regionals event completely surpassed my expectations, production-wise. All I'm saying is that the HCS can exist and thrive without them. The lack of MLG participation is not a dealbreaker, especially if they return for Worlds season again. They don't have a monopoly on the esports scene, there are plenty of other competent TOs that can run these events. PGL is one of them.

343 seems to be hesitant to work with MLG, only choosing to do so during the absolute biggest season of Halo 5 so far (NA lead-up to HWC), probably begrudgingly in order to maximize viewership/exposure for their biggest event. We have no idea why this is or who's in the wrong. Sure, the popular opinion here is that everything 343 does is horrible and everything MLG does is angelic, but I like to avoid circlejerks and look at things from a neutral point of view. We have no idea why 343 won't work with MLG and that's not likely to change. Some people and companies just refuse to work with others. Whatever the reason is, I'm over it and I'm not going to let it ruin my enjoyment of the season. ESL has done a fine job (more or less) over the past two years and seem to be making tremendous improvements with the upcoming season, and we know PGL runs a kickass event.

Does 343 still hold a grudge about MLG leaving Halo in 2012? If that's the reason why they won't work with MLG then that is completely unprofessional. Working with MLG has only upside compared to their current plans.

I know the rosters aren't official yet, but do we know which orgs will be involved with the HCS this season?

CLG, nV, E6, Liquid, Optic, ALG & EG. Then there's ex-Liquid who we don't know the org of yet.

• Upvote (+1) 2

MLG is great. No doubt. The Regionals event completely surpassed my expectations, production-wise. All I'm saying is that the HCS can exist and thrive without them. The lack of MLG participation is not a dealbreaker, especially if they return for Worlds season again. They don't have a monopoly on the esports scene, there are plenty of other competent TOs that can run these events. PGL is one of them.

343 seems to be hesitant to work with MLG, only choosing to do so during the absolute biggest season of Halo 5 so far (NA lead-up to HWC), probably begrudgingly in order to maximize viewership/exposure for their biggest event. We have no idea why this is or who's in the wrong. Sure, the popular opinion here is that everything 343 does is horrible and everything MLG does is angelic, but I like to avoid circlejerks and look at things from a neutral point of view. We have no idea why 343 won't work with MLG and that's not likely to change. Some people and companies just refuse to work with others. Whatever the reason is, I'm over it and I'm not going to let it ruin my enjoyment of the season. ESL has done a fine job (more or less) over the past two years and seem to be making tremendous improvements with the upcoming season, and we know PGL runs a kickass event.

Trusting 343s competence after the complete disaster that was the Master Chief Collection and mishandling of Halo 5 is sheer blindness.

I have no reason to doubt MLGs word because they've done nothing to harm their integrity. 343 has lied and broken promises so many times that I've lost count. Reputation and past history matters. If a company has done nothing to restore trust then it's nonsense to have a neutral viewpoint on every subject and to give them the benefit of the doubt. That's called being a sucker.

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 3

For pro league it looks like the same 8 as last season, minus C9 and plus whoever picks up the ex-Liquid squad. I believe Denial and Elevate still have AM teams(?), not sure if I missed any.

CLG

NV

TL

E6

EG

ALG

OG

DNL

ELV

Edit: L8.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Does 343 still hold a grudge about MLG leaving Halo in 2012? If that's the reason why they won't work with MLG then that is completely unprofessional. Working with MLG has only upside compared to their current plans.

We have no idea.

Maybe 343 is holding a grudge? Maybe they just decided that for various technical reasons we’re not aware of that it wouldn’t work with MLG.

Maybe ESL said they didn’t want MLG involved. Honestly I think this is way more likely than someone over at 343 holding a grudge against MLG.

We just don’t know because all we have is one side of the story.

• Upvote (+1) 1

We have no idea.

Maybe 343 is holding a grudge? Maybe they just decided that for various technical reasons we’re not aware of that it wouldn’t work with MLG.

Maybe ESL said they didn’t want MLG involved for some reason.

We just don’t know because all we have is one side of the story.

If it is true that 343 is holding a grudge against MLG for H4 then that would be pretty disappointing. I would like to give 343 the benefit of the doubt and hope that it was for "technical/logistical reasons". 

Unfortunately, I think we are only going to get one side of the story. Even if 343/ESL did come out with a statement, I doubt it would be anything to give us REAL insight as to what happened and we should expect something vague like "technical reasons". 

Watching the OpTic scrims last night and I fell asleep after about 6-7 maps so I'm not sure about the rest. But the maps I did see OpTic were starting really good and getting a lead and then when EG would get control they couldn't break it. Sure 14-0 isn't close but from what ive seen Heinz is their best choice and I think they'll be better than last season.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Today's morning summary haikus (this is my thing now, I've been here too long to not have a thing):

Flamesword coaches like

Man coaching wife giving birth

Just go get ice chips

------

MLG, old flame

"I miss you, baby, please LAN?"

ESL cockblock

------

Chad knows the meta

Lethul retorts, Chad angry

He hates ketchup now

Beautiful

• Upvote (+1) 3

For pro league it looks like the same 8 as last season, minus C9 and plus whoever picks up the ex-Liquid squad. I believe Denial and Elevate still have AM teams(?), not sure if I missed any.

CLG

NV

TL

E6

EG

ALG

OG

DNL

ELV

Edit: L8.

I THINK that 3sup (or whatever it's called) is still a thing in the AM scene. Could be wrong.

• Upvote (+1) 1

ESL fixed the majority of their problems for season 2.

Rulebooks and venue announcements, yes. 

However the other fixes are yet to be seen and probably can't be seen until the season starts. I'm keeping fingers crossed.

A high quality Pro League, partnered by an open LAN (at CWL's sort of scale) in a 'season split' would be so so good for Halo. That would guarantee 2 open LANs, 2 Seasons of Pro League and a World Championship with crowd funding. 

Ultimate goal right there.