CyReN

HCS Pro League Fall 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Has MLG ever contacted 343i about handling the HCS? I honestly don't understand why 343i refuses to use MLG.

yes

• Upvote (+1) 2

Has MLG ever contacted 343i about handling the HCS? I honestly don't understand why 343i refuses to use MLG.

yes

And 343 never even got back to MLG... MLG found out about the details of the Open LAN and Fall Pro league the same way we did... 

• Upvote (+1) 1

@ the settings discussion:

Personally, I have no problem with trying wild things with the preview playlist. I mean look at the last set of changes... 90% of them didn't make it in. But I would rather try some wild changes, and see what sticks.

Obviously, there are nuances like changing too much at once that I'm not sure 343 accomplished well, but overall I like the wild innovation part of it.

I remember trying to get people to test MLG gametypes in H3 was impossible... Why not use the biggest source of feedback you have?

• Upvote (+1) 3

Just a reminder that 343 is a subsidiary of a $100 billion company that most likely makes significant money off the Halo franchise, so no one should be guilted into feeling badly about complaining on an internet forum in the spirit of trying to grow the scene and improve the game and community that they love.

That said, I 100% agree that 343 is absolutely taking positive action to continually move in the right direction; I think some folks just wish that would happen more quickly.

I don't think it's a right move to completely blow off MLG like Adam said they did. 

The more I think about it I think the eSports Arena will be a good fit for the open events, the only issues are Halo's casters are currently lackluster and getting teams to the west coast has always been an issue.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Behave yourself, we held a random rich group of guys to the same unrealistic standards as we currently do throughout Halo4 until they gave up and packed it in. Back in the day MLG was great but when that went there wasn't a scene left and people really weren't too interested in carving out one.

Genuinely where do you think we'd be without 343's support over the last few years?

If we had a company making a great competitive game the community would profitably take care of itself like it did from Halo 1-3 when we had great games that functioned and were feature rich. MLG dropped us because Reach sucked and no one cared anymore. Throwing money at something will not generate long term success. It's good that they are artificially keeping the game afloat with prize money but we shouldn't be thanking them having to do that in the first place.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The more I think about it I think the eSports Arena will be a good fit for the open events, the only issues are Halo's casters are currently lackluster and getting teams to the west coast has always been an issue.

Bravo and Ghost are some of the best casters Halo ever had honestly. Yeah, they were not involved in casting all that much recently but that could change I guess. Also there are a lot of veteran pros that could spice up caster/analyst desk.

:apg: not a totally negative sarcastic comment? WHO ARE YOU AND WHAT DID YOU DO WITH FRANK

Oh that was my actual opinion not the Show talking.

Bravo and Ghost are some of the best casters Halo ever had honestly. Yeah, they were not involved in casting all that much recently but that could change I guess. Also there are a lot of veteran pros that could spice up caster/analyst desk.

If you could have any former pros on the caster desk who would they be?

Walshy, obviously.

Tsquared, obviously.

There's really not that many well spoken pros in the Halo community I could see transitioning well into casters.

I think Elamite is fantastic but he needs someone much more energetic by his side to really bring the best out of him.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Feelings mutual Vin don't worry, its never personal. We are all here for the same goal! I just think to say nothing happened is a little strong as I personally think the same as the quote below.

I understand you guys have made some changes, and I'm not trying to make this into a lose/lose situation for you and the guys @ ESL, but...

All of those 'changes' are things we shouldn't have to provide feedback for. Those are things that I'd deem necessary and required for an eSports league.

It should have been there from the start. 

The REAL changes needed to be stuff like 2 day EU streams, more teams in the league, bigger more prestigious open events from MLG or ESL, etc. 

IDK, maybe I'm asking for too much. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Potentially off-topic comment, but what do people think would be the best way for someone to get their foot into the door for casting? My friends often say I would be perfect at commentating (frequently do this in other forms) and/or improv.

Make a video / test cast?

Do a w0uld style broadcast on Twitch?

Thanks guys!

• Upvote (+1) 1

@@FrankTheShow Ghost. Like, he's one of my favorite and he's done what? Just regionals? Get that guys ass on the desk, he should be permanent with T2. 

Elamite and Strongside would be MUCH better off at an analysts desk (a standing one pls). They're much slower paced. 

You look at what Ghost and T2 can do when they get excited (Hukes play from Regionals, and T2 during Mikwens ninja) and then go and watch Huke's triple no-scope and it's like Strongside and Elamite were watching a baseball game...

I don't get it.

• Upvote (+1) 6

I understand you guys have made some changes, and I'm not trying to make this into a lose/lose situation for you and the guys @ ESL, but...

All of those 'changes' are things we shouldn't have to provide feedback for. Those are things that I'd deem necessary and required for an eSports league.

It should have been there from the start.

The REAL changes needed to be stuff like 2 day EU streams, more teams in the league, bigger more prestigious open events from MLG or ESL, etc.

IDK, maybe I'm asking for too much.

Sometimes you gotta cause a little chaos to turn some heads.

If production and event effeciency is good we can go from there. The early announcements have been nice, the rule book was a necessity.

We'll see, we'll see.

• Upvote (+1) 1

@@FrankTheShow Ghost. Like, he's one of my favorite and he's done what? Just regionals? Get that guys ass on the desk, he should be permanent with T2. 

Elamite and Strongside would be MUCH better off at an analysts desk (a standing one pls). They're much slower paced. 

You look at what Ghost and T2 can do when they get excited (Hukes play from Regionals, and T2 during Mikwens ninja) and then go and watch Huke's triple no-scope and it's like Strongside and Elamite were watching a baseball game...

I don't get it.

Maybe he doesn't want to commentate.

I respect this sentiment, you for being a part of the community, and everything you did to get Mikwen to events. However, how can I honestly believe that Quinn wants the best for competitive halo when they dismiss having MLG as the partner. There is no way he honestly believes having e-arena and PGL running the open events will be better for Halo than allowing MLG to.

Edit: I know it probably wasn't all Quinns choice, but I have to believe he has a pretty loud voice in these decisions.

Hey man we all Love MLG and have many many good memories. I think their production quality is unmatched. So I would be just as excited as you if it was MLG, having said that I expect that e-arena and PGL will step it up a notch.  They better ;)

• Upvote (+1) 3

Potentially off-topic comment, but what do people think would be the best way for someone to get their foot into the door for casting? My friends often say I would be perfect at commentating (frequently do this in other forms) and/or improv.

Make a video / test cast?

Do a w0uld style broadcast on Twitch?

Thanks guys!

start doing some shout casts on twitch during NA open tournaments, you need to build a portfolio before anyone will take you seriously 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Maybe he doesn't want to commentate.

If only 343 could respond to us asking for him to we would know, eh?]

But I highly doubt that, he was loving it at Regionals. 

Seeing him and Puckett cast together at Regionals was like a dream come true

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Go Cincinnati Reds

I don't get it.

• Upvote (+1) 8

I thought ryanoob did a decent job casting a bit more in depth than some other casters

Though to be fair usually the stream is on mute lately

• Upvote (+1) 2

Go Cincinnati Reds

Oh no... you're from Cincinnati? 

I just moved from there, I hated it  :wutface:

• Downvote (-1) 2