CyReN

HCS Pro League Fall 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Business is business, is Stellur going to pay Suspector's bills? It's easy to talk about other people's money when your rent, car payment, insurance isn't on the line.

I totally understand this but with a contract signed he's getting paid. Benched or not E6 is paying his salary now. It's just something I like to think I would do for a friend as close as they claim to be, and something I would expect from a friend at the same time. Even if I would lose the 1500 a month for the season, or until transfer period if my good friends reputation and Halo career were on the line to any extent I feel like I'd step up. It doesn't even have to be a public statement, I'd assume he could just contact ESL directly to offer some clarity on the situation.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Hey all, if anyone wants to join my fantasy league its called "Walshys Smile" and has room for 7 more people. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think a no radar teambeyond tournament would have a lot of hype around it and would have higher attendance than any regular astro 4v4.

I think it's crazy that so many people want no radar but we never see people with influence like pros or teambeyond pushing for it or testing it.

Agreed, however Naded made a good point by saying if they remove radar, then autos either need to be removed or nerfed heavily. I also particularly agree with his because I could see people just abusing the autos even more

Orgs should not be "protected" from players attempting to better their own situation. The moment you take away the players' power to choose, the Org becomes more important than the player. I read a few comments and inferred the general sentiment that rules that prohibit poaching are for the protection of smaller Orgs with less money. Ok. Sure, that's a peachy idea on the surface, but ultimately what you're saying is that it's perfectly acceptable to force a player to play at their own detriment for the sake of the org. I cannot agree with this. Players play for their own sake. Anything less than free choice for the players is oppression.

Ill give an example:

League has roster lock rules for the sake of consistency for the viewer; as a side benefit, this creates an opportunity for teams to practice to get better instead of changing players stupidly in an attempt to do so (which if players did not know that already...). Players voluntarily give up their freedom of choice in this regard for an opportunity to play in the league.

Small Org locks in a good player with a contract. Small Org fills roster around good player with average players. After the first week or two of pro-league Player on better team that is signed by bigger Org contacts good player and offers team position during roster change period. Good player wants to win/wants more money, and she/he plays out rest of matches until roster change period and then switches teams. Smaller Org fills team vacancy and continues to compete. Smaller Org took a risk with good player, investment did not have profitable return, that is business.

If the league wanted to impose rules that allowed Orgs to sign players to non-compete contracts for an entire season, or allowed the Orgs the opportunity to match an offer from another Org, that creates an entirely different situation, and an entirely reasonable one for discussion because it then becomes a situation where it is players' choice to sign contracts like that or negotiate for one they prefer. This also would mean that the player or Org looking to sign player must then inform the smaller Org of the player's intention to sign with different Org before roster change period allowing Org ample time to make business decisions, regardless of financial capacity. Rules based on these ideas are more reasonable for discussion. Rules based on the idea that the player cannot choose for himself what team he/she wants to be on are insane. Rules based on the idea that Orgs must be "protected" from players and/or are more important than players are insane.

• Upvote (+1) 1

To add to w0ulds good news, I finally hit Plat 1 today in arena for the first time. Protect your neck, CLG.

I hit plat 1 yesterday, let me know if you need someone to run with..im kinda a big deal in the plat scene

• Upvote (+1) 4

What are you guys getting @@SnakeBite for Father's Day?

Golf balls and gold toe socks.

On a side note, if anyone has ever had the ambition to start an agency to represent players for contract negotiations with the orgs, now is the time.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Rules based on the idea that the player cannot choose for himself what team he/she wants to be on are insane. Rules based on the idea that Orgs must be "protected" from players and/or are more important than players are insane.

I don't think anyone has actually been denied transfers have they? It's just the courtesy to ensure that Orgs are kept in the loop so that they don't get shafted and actually get something out the arrangement. That's why we have these rules in place, the same as the transfer period and player trade limits, to make the whole process more grown up and civilized, because if it's just a cluster fuck then why would anyone want to get involved financially (unless you own the league they play in ala MLG).

It's nice that people really like the players and will always side with them but if I'm an Org and another Org or group of players conspires to take my best player out the back door at the first opportunity their contract is up then quite rightly I'm going to be pissed. The player may have been a rising talent you cultivated or an opportune bargain you spotted (Huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuke) so if they want to leave, why shouldn't the people that paid their way for the last X months get something out of it?

Orgs may not be the 'most important' but they are important.

• Upvote (+1) 5

What are you guys getting @@SnakeBite for Father's Day?

I was thinking about getting him a new hybrid club.. but he doesn't have much time to golf when CLG is cleaning house in pro league. 

Possibly take him out for a nice steak dinner.. throw in a bdubs gift card since football season is upon us 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Josh Holmes (I think it was him at least, I'm struggling to remember exactly) was saying this exact thing a few days ago. Pros should run some scrims with no radar and use the evidence that provides to make a stronger case for or against keeping radar in the HCS. As it stands even among pro players there are mixed opinions on the subject, so testing it is really the only way to change any minds.

Probably won't happen with Season 2 kicking off though.

lol but Pros did try the new settings and categorically said they were bad. So 343 was like, welp? Too fuckin bad, you're getting Suppressor REQ variant on Rig whether you like it or not! 

Tbh I don't really buy the idea that running scrims without radar will do much. They've told us why they change shit randomly ("Focus groups and data" (can't be more vague but oh well)). You'd be hard pressed to find a random kiddie in a focus group who'd say they don't want radar in the game. And 343 logic dictates that their opinion matters as much as pros like Mikwen and the rest of the competitive community, not sure how much that changes even with pros trying new settings.

tried it in the beginning and before regionals, it was so easy to stay alive and break set ups, could literally flank out every time for free. everything was pretty chaotic and unorganized because of people moving so fast with no radar and all the levels on the map.

That sounds like my kind of Halo

Eventually people would understand where players like to flank, how to setup accordingly etc. Any new gametype will take time, so I understand not rushing into it right now, but it's not like players aren't used to the game or the maps yet. 

• Upvote (+1) 7

Snakebite said that Cratos told both Ayden and Bee they would be dropped if they didn't sign. I don't actually know how they would have managed this outside of 2 subs.

It's nice that people really like the players and will always side with them but if I'm an Org and another Org or group of players conspires to take my best player out the back door at the first opportunity their contract is up then quite rightly I'm going to be pissed. The player may have been a rising talent you cultivated or an opportune bargain you spotted (Huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuke) so if they want to leave, why shouldn't the people that paid their way for the last X months get something out of it?

Orgs may not be the 'most important' but they are important.

I apologize for any misunderstanding. I was not suggesting that one Org would not have to buy out the contract of a player from another Org if that player's contract allowed such a transaction to occur, and that player was under contract. That should most definitely happen. However, when language similar to what I have bolded above is used, it really scares me. How is it a conspiracy to approach a player about teaming when their contract is up? If the player's contract is up, the Org in which they have been playing under is able to submit a new contract to the player, just like any other Org is able to. Are you saying it is not fair for Player 1 to approach Player 2 while he is under contract with a different Org? 

You raise the question that Orgs should be rewarded for the return on their investment into players, "...[W]hy shouldn't the people that paid their way for the last X months get something out of it?" Quite simply because they did not actually do the thing that brings income to the player/Org. They did not play the game. Why should the people that paid their way the last X months get something out of it? If the player is talented, s/he will either have multiple Orgs approaching, or find other means to attend events/play in the online pro-league. The player does not owe the Org for completing stipulations in a contract. That is what the contract is there for in the first place. If your Org feels as if the return on investment from players is not enough, stipulate that the player must get other avenues of income (streaming/youtube/etc...) with a percentage of that income going to the Org. Other than that, the idea that the Org should be rewarded for completing the stipulations in it's own contract is silly.