CyReN

HCS Pro League Fall 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Yeah, Onset has been a great driving force for EU Halo, his old H5 Wednesday customs helped get quite a few people into the competitive scene, shame he abandoned it. I do still like his casting though so it'd be great to see him back, as well as The Simms.

I would honestly really like to hear ESL's thoughts on this, which is why I tagged @@Vivi to get an informed response.

If they did some of it through crowd funding it'd likely be in with a chance, but again, why should the community have to pay into something the developers and partners should be doing themselves, particularly when they're already doing it for other regions. 343 and ESL must see value and potential in the EU region, despite the discrepancies between the NA and EU leagues, so why aren't they supporting it like they should be?

It is a shame really, as its clear that the people who work on the EU side of things clearly have a lot of passion for what they do but it seems they just dont have the funds to make it happen.

Some of the blame does have to fall on the players and fans in the EU though as when these events happen they need to be supported/attended for them to continue.

Overall though if crowd funding is the only way forward, then im all for it.

Can confirm they are bad.

Played Tyrant Assault last night 4-5 times in a 10 game span. Worst experience of Halo since Solace Slice, these new maps don't work for competitive. PLEASE STOP IT.

@@CyReN xavi is the coach of fabe not xmen

This is why I don't like updating these tings, I get fed wrong info. I'll update it all when everything is officially released.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Can confirm they are bad.

Played Tyrant Assault last night 4-5 times in a 10 game span. Worst experience of Halo since Solace Slice, these new maps don't work for competitive. PLEASE STOP IT.

This is why I don't like updating these tings, I get fed wrong info. I'll update it all when everything is officially released.

I dont know why they think Tyrant is a competitive map. Winning that map is all about who controls the scatter and crouches top mid better. So dumb.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Jesus even the event can't afford to fly people out to the event.

Finally gets an open lan and then complains. Stop you whiny fuck

• Upvote (+1) 10
  • Downvote (-1) 8

It is a shame really, as its clear that the people who work on the EU side of things clearly have a lot of passion for what they do but it seems they just dont have the funds to make it happen.

Some of the blame does have to fall on the players and fans in the EU though as when these events happen they need to be supported/attended for them to continue.

Overall though if crowd funding is the only way forward, then im all for it.

I definitely do think some of it falls on the players. In NA, you have players that are constantly streaming, interacting through Twitter and playing with viewers/subs which allows lesser known players to get known and increases that players viewership. There isn't any of this in the EU except for maybe one pro player I've seen consistently streaming which is Jimbo and Sneaky/Zhuh for the AM side.

However, as mentioned in my earlier post, one of the reasons that NA has more viewership is the result of multiple years of attending LANs and other events which are broadcasted so people become familiar with them, as well as features on their backgrounds which provide a compelling story and drive people to want to support them, which hasn't been done in the EU. This is where the tournament organisers and developers come in, they need to be making these open LANs, producing the content on the player's backgrounds and such to get people into the scene and ensure that the games are broadcasted (which again, they aren't even broadcasting all the matches, thankfully we have great EU casters that take time out of their day to do it).

• Upvote (+1) 1

Out of interest, does anyone know if there was a H5 LAN at gamescom?

nah it was just rainbow six

I definitely do think some of it falls on the players. In NA, you have players that are constantly streaming, interacting through Twitter and playing with viewers/subs which allows lesser known players to get known and increases that players viewership. There isn't any of this in the EU except for maybe one pro player I've seen consistently streaming which is Jimbo and Sneaky/Zhuh for the AM side.

However, as mentioned in my earlier post, one of the reasons that NA has more viewership is the result of multiple years of attending LANs and other events which are broadcasted so people become familiar with them, as well as features on their backgrounds which provide a compelling story and drive people to want to support them, which hasn't been done in the EU. This is where the tournament organisers and developers come in, they need to be making these open LANs, producing the content on the player's backgrounds and such to get people into the scene and ensure that the games are broadcasted (which again, they aren't even broadcasting all the matches, thankfully we have great EU casters that take time out of their day to do it).

Did we even have any pro EU teams before H5? Like as in attended events?

Did we even have any pro EU teams before H5? Like as in attended events?

I will admit I dont know much about them as im fairly new to competitive Halo but they definitely existed.  Up until H5 no EU team had ever broken into the top 8 world teams.  Epsilon changed this at HWC worlds in 2015.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think this is a definite issue.  If you go onto the esports section of halowaypoint and go to teams, the EU teams are not even listed!

Thanks. I couldnt remember there being any EU teams at sanctioned events. Tried looking it up but couldnt find much.

TCM also attended a lot of events during MCC but power was by far the most legendary and highest placing EU team at an NA event, I want to say MLG Raleigh 10th place? This was held by the buks until they broke that by placing top 8 at worlds.

Edit - just saw someone actually placed the link, yes 10th at Raleigh confirmed...

Also the first major EU team was Reason Gaming which I think attended MLG Orlando 2006, I believe this was the first ever EU team to attend an NA event, they went on to also attend further events in 07 under TSG! Lethal (the real OG one not the fake reach one :lxthul: ) & LA1 destroyed H2 in EU and went undefeated I believe in every major EU H2 4v4, 2v2 and FFA's events and simply dominated the scene. They possibly pulled top 24 once at MLG, my memory is starting to get pretty bad with age...

• Upvote (+1) 3

Same exact payout as last season

Cool. I wasn't complaining or praising  the amount of money. I was just stating a fact.

Your right on my figures, I looked at them harder and edited my post. Xbox 360 was the best selling console for the entirety of its gen. 1 year after Halo 3 was launched roughly 70% of Xbox 360 owners had purchased a copy of Halo 3.[interpolating H3 sales (12.7m) and end of year 2009 Xbox 360 sales (17.3m). Thats such an amazing adoption rate. If H5 sales are around the 6-7m mark now and Xbox One is at 20m this is only around 30% .

But I think you are exactly right when you say blue things, 100%

But the orange, I would say you contradict your self, H5 can't have all the advantages if the scene is much more competitive now. Like you said early Halos were trail blazers and had limited competition, now the landscape has changed.

source: vgsales.wikia.com, wikipedia (I know not the best but what can you do....)

Actually the Xbox 360 sold the worst among the big 3 in the 7th gen. The Wii was the best selling. Most estimates have the ps3 barely ahead of the 360. But even if think Xbox was slightly ahead, you have to factor in that at least 5% of sales were rebuys of broken RROD consoles (i would peg it much higher actually, but being conservative).

I don't think I'm contradicting myself. Halo had a massive headstart on almost every other game and blew it. It should be thriving right now but it's not. Early adopters should generally hold a massive advantage in a commercial space (see: Netflix, Tesla Motors, amazon, etc).

Also I would say there are more new consumers and viewers now than there are new competitors in the esports landscape. Do you think Smashbros used increased competition as an excuse to roll over and die? No, the community pushed the game they knew was the deepest and the scene revived itself from the grassroots based on gameplay depth and watchability. Not by pushing a game with poor settings, little competitive depth and little watchability like Halo 5. If you disagree then I point you to the larger viewership of Smashbros along with its lower ease of access compared to Halo 5 along with much smaller prize pools. It is hard to argue that Halo 5 doesn't have a problem with the game itself given it's history and structural advantages over far more popular esports driven games.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Wait wait wait wait...

EU Pro League is only 1 day again?

Is that a joke?

That was probably the biggest complaint about last season... Is this company that cheap we can't stream online matches for a second day?

Is this company that cheap we can't stream online matches for a second day?

Depends. Do you want a kiddie table at finals again? :kappa:

• Upvote (+1) 4

Depends. Do you want a kiddie table at finals again? :kappa:

There was mahogany wood imported from Italy under that cloth, don't let its simplicity fool you

• Upvote (+1) 1