CyReN

HCS Pro League Fall 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Hold up. Has anyone ever flown to Vegas before? Some of the cheapest flights in the country (because they just want people to go to Vegas and blow their money gambling and drinking). Seriously, Vegas is one of the most affordable places to fly.

every plane ticket i see from philly to vegas is around 400 bucks, maybe i just suck at looking for plane tickets

How do you define sneaky? Curious.

Hidden in the middle of all of the green ones?

• Upvote (+1) 2

Money means EVERYTHING.

Why do you think The Coalition is getting loads of money injected into its esports scene? Because Gears 4 is about to release and events with large prize pools act as good marketing tools. Why did 343 get a shit tonne of money injected into the HCS in the first few months? Because marketing. Why is less money being spent on it now? Because marketing a game almost a year after it releases isn't going to net a particularly great return.

I'm not defending it, I'm just being realistic; 343 is a business, not a charity.

I don't think anyone is confused on that point, but would you care to explain the way in which POORLY managing this game's eSports scene is a more responsible use of their money? If anything, the reason they have less to invest at this point is that they're done a pretty mediocre job of it so far and interest continues to wane, which makes spending further money seem even less viable. So, is Microsoft angling for a Halo 6 that sells even worse than H5 did? Is that responsible as a "business, not a charity?" I really don't get your angle. Literally no one is suggesting that they do this for free. They are suggesting that they do it WELL.

In terms of money, driving more interest with more and better events can only benefit them. If viewership increases, if more people are interested in Halo as an eSport, more people buy and play the game, likely more people will buy REQ packs and Pro Team REQ packs, more potential for sponsorship and advertisement, more hype for the next game, and so on. As opposed to what they have currently, which is a pretty small core group of people who really want Halo eSports to be relevant again enough to watch H5 Spectator Mode Pro League. It's not a huge group.

Then again, maybe it is in Microsoft's best interest to put more money into the Coalition, because they're already demonstrated that they can run that IP more effectively than 343 has Halo.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Basic initial info for the HCS Orange County event can be found here.

TL;DClick

Schedule:

October 7: FFA + Showmatch
October 8: Open Bracket + Pool Play
October 9: Championship Bracket

Price:
$140 4v4 Team Pass
$15 FFA Pass
Free for Spectators
$40 VIP Pass (More info soon)

Venue Location:
120 W. 5th St
Santa Ana, CA 92701

On this note, what would people like to see in the Showmatch? My initial thought was to have some of the talent (Casters) playing with fan voted pro players?

The people want to see Team Easy vs The Casters. 

Unfortunately, I think they want to see it in a Mad Max Thunderdome style. 

• Upvote (+1) 5

Hey guys, long time lurker just made an account.

I live here in california (really close to esports arena actually) and this will be my first event i'll be attending! Been playing Halo since CE (didn't know about anything competitive until after halo 3 hahaha not that I was good enough to compete).

I think its pretty cool that its out here, I may have one of my friends to go the event with me and enter as a team (if he can). If not and anyone else here wants to play some games (matchmaking, maybe team?) and doesn't have any delusions of grandeur that we would go on to beat the pro teams at the event I would really like to play. Maybe get better im usually a solo queue onyx 1600+ (never made it past 1850 or so).

Send me a message or add! GT: Visualdaddy O

• Upvote (+1) 4

On this note, what would people like to see in the Showmatch? My initial thought was to have some of the talent (Casters) playing with fan voted pro players?

That's not a bad idea with the casters. Maybe an All Star type match? I don't know how it would work with it being before the 4v4 stuff, but might be fun to watch. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

TL;DClick

Is the showmatch after the FFA finals?

If so, I'd say have Lethul and Snipedown (or any 2 pro players that want to do it, or hell any 2 of the casters) draft players from the final heat of the FFA, and have the FFA players play 4v4, with whomever drafted them coaching during the game or whatever.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Does this include flights from Australia?

edit: nevermind I didn't read it properly.

edit2: maybe I did

Take your shot, man.

No rules here. If you're the best choice then you're the best choice.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I personally really enjoyed the all-star match where Walshy and Elamite were the coaches and drafted players and played a series.

Only thing I would want fixed would be to have all the pro players to choose from instead of just the fan-voted ones.

CaFCeRmUsAABjlD.png

*Edit*, Also never got an answer regarding the dedicated servers for the LAN event. If this an official HCS event, the servers should make it out there correct?

@@Phade confirmed earlier that these open lans (or at least his, I assume open circuit finals will as well) will have closed servers.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I personally really enjoyed the all-star match where Walshy and Elamite were the coaches and drafted players and played a series.

Only thing I would want fixed would be to have all the pro players to choose from instead of just the fan-voted ones.

CaFCeRmUsAABjlD.png

*Edit*, Also never got an answer regarding the dedicated servers for the LAN event. If this an official HCS event, the servers should make it out there correct?

I answered somewhere in the thread but not you directly, sorry! There will be a LAN servers for the main stage and featured station at a minimum. Unfortunately there are not that many dev kits/technicians to have every station be on a LAN server.

If so, I'd say have Lethul and Snipedown (or any 2 pro players that want to do it, or hell any 2 of the casters) draft players from the final heat of the FFA, and have the FFA players play 4v4, with whomever drafted them coaching during the game or whatever.

It is after the FFA finals yes. Sounds pretty cool actually! We're really open to a lot of ideas, and want it to be what the community wants.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Team @@LethuL and Team @@Cratos plz. 

It'd be funnier. 

Also we need a tribute video to Cooper (RIP 2016). 

• Upvote (+1) 3

TL;DClick

Schedule:

October 7: FFA + Showmatch
October 8: Open Bracket + Pool Play
October 9: Championship Bracket

Price:
$140 4v4 Team Pass
$15 FFA Pass
Free for Spectators
$40 VIP Pass (More info soon)

Venue Location:
120 W. 5th St
Santa Ana, CA 92701

I love that idea!

every plane ticket i see from philly to vegas is around 400 bucks, maybe i just suck at looking for plane tickets

Quick tip for you + anyone else. Sky Scanner and Google flights are the cheapest options.

Use another device or web browser or clear cookies because the more you search the more they will up the price, clever bastards :)

• Upvote (+1) 9

Showmatch should be a Ricochet showdown featuring teams led by @@LethuL and @@Cratos.

Ricochet on Tyrant.

3 lanes, segmented really hard, so you have actual lanes to push and no open sightlines to just score from spawn.

Quick tip for you + anyone else. Sky Scanner and Google flights are the cheapest options.

Use another device or web browser or clear cookies because the more you search the more they will up the price, clever bastards :)

wow, found a ticket for like 200....

• Upvote (+1) 2