CyReN

HCS Pro League Fall 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

I also have the opinion (realistic I think) that Halo is just too old of a game to be a major player in Esports. The main console demographic is younger (middle school -> college) and it's interest is in CoD at the moment. A large part of that is that when Halo declined (Reach/Halo4) is when CoD became popular.

The focus should be on making Halo cool again for that audience.

First Counter Strike: 1999

First Halo: 2001

First CoD: 2003

Not so sure age is the issue, marketing and development is a whole other thing

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Not all events have publisher funding. But I agree that if MLG and 343 worked together from the beginning of Reach until now, Halo would be in a much better place.

Other thoughts not related to your post:

I also have the opinion (realistic I think) that Halo is just too old of a game to be a major player in Esports. The main console demographic is younger (middle school -> college) and it's interest is in CoD at the moment. A large part of that is that when Halo declined (Reach/Halo4) is when CoD became popular.

I'm that audience (17 Senior in HS woo!) and to be honest I know about 3 or 4 people in my HS that watch esports. One watches SMITE/CSGO/LoL and another watches CSGO while there were a few CoD fans but all of my friends who watched CoD save for one left after BO3. While a lot of people play games in dear ol' Landrum High I'd say the biggest title would be a mix of Madden and Destiny right now with FIFA a strong contender. Thing is, nearly everyone (even REDNECKS) have fond memories of playing customs or MM in Halo 3/Reach, and there were/are people who play Halo 5 but the whole couch co-op fiasco kind of scared them off. 

For me, I like watching FPS vs. like an LoL or DOTA and I love Halo. It's harder said than done Making Halo Great Again. 

Remember the last time we talked and you were asking how to get into it. Glad to see you making moves my man. Keep it up<3

<3 Always remember your roots. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Open LANs*

Not sure what you mean by "pull it off"  ?

Youve never heard the phrase "pull it off"? facepalm

• Downvote (-1) 4

Lol at all the shit about flights being almost the same price.

Having it in a central location means more people can drive there. There's already healthy competitive scenes in the midwest of Halo players. So you're like doubling their cost and taking away the road trip aspect for something they will probably lose. Why would they bother?

Not everyone is a sweaty aspiring amateur that plays for 12 hours a day. Some people just want to take part in or watch an MLG tourney for fun. These are the people that fund your careers. Not catering to them is a huge mistake.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Youve never heard the phrase "pull it off"? facepalm

More that ESL isn't running the events, so wondering how we are going to pull them off and not the amazing teams and staff at ESA and PGL ;)

• Upvote (+1) 6

Whoa, this came out 2 years ago

I never saw that the first time around. I literally just just cried watching that. Seriously, I am a 35 year old man and that just made me cry - I am not even ashamed. This game and this community has been a large part of my life for SO long. It's crazy. 

• Upvote (+1) 8

More that ESL isn't running the events, so wondering how we are going to pull them off and not the amazing teams and staff at ESA and PGL ;)

My statement would still be true btw because i dont have faith in you.

• Downvote (-1) 2

My statement would still be true btw because i dont have faith in you.

My statement would be true if the facts weren't the facts :/

Legitimate question, do you know what events I've organized or ran?

• Upvote (+1) 4

and Counter-Strike? I realize one is PC and one is on console but Halo 6 will be on PC.

Counterstrike fell off hard during CSS, they still mostly played 1.6 at events but prize pools and attendance got progressively smaller.

Even early CS:GO was a bit of a misfire, but they managed to rally it back and it's now one of the most popular games in the world again.

Halo can learn from CS on how to come back from its mistakes by focusing on providing the core gameplay that people fell in love with in the first place and not focusing on whatever is currently popular.

I know personally after a frustrating couple of hours playing Halo5, I'll go on steam and fire up CS:GO  (or alternatively Quake3) to remind myself how fun playing an FPS game is supposed to be.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Whoa, this came out 2 years ago

343 were doing everything right 2 years ago.  It's a shame they fucked it up so bad with MCC... But it is what it is.

Counterstrike fell off hard during CSS, they still mostly played 1.6 at events but prize pools and attendance got progressively smaller.

Even early CS:GO was a bit of a misfire, but they managed to rally it back and it's now one of the most popular games in the world again.

Halo can learn from CS on how to come back from its mistakes by focusing on providing the core gameplay that people fell in love with in the first place and not focusing on whatever is currently popular.

I know personally after a frustrating couple of hours playing Halo5, I'll go on steam and fire up CS:GO  (or alternatively Quake3) to remind myself how fun playing an FPS game is supposed to be.

I didn't think people could have fun in CS:GO. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Everybody read this post.

Halo will not be popular like it used to be if it continues down its current path. The market still exists, tons of old games are making comebacks these days. Just give people what they want goddamnit. Hype escalates on its own from passionate fanbases, not from casuals who want to run real fast and pump their arms. That's why the nerdiest shit dominates the box office these days.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

So...how's the race for 2nd place look like this season?

It's locked up by CLG right? Something nV beating '07 FB?

• Upvote (+1) 7

So...how's the race for 2nd place look like this season?

we are teaming and taking 2nd

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'll tell you what

Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine all the outrage and loud noises for "big open LANs" to return would equate to two west coast 20k tournaments held by esportsarena and PGL...

I think you misunderstand what we said we wanted, 343.

We wanted BIG open LANs from ESL and MLG. Not this cost cutting, half step with what looks like zero financial responsibility from MS or 343.

Sack up and swallow your pride, get in touch with Adam (more directed towards the 343 guys) and build us a god damn legacy again.

COD has MLG Anaheim. We could have MLG columbus. MAKE IT HAPPEN and stop asking what WE, the community, should be doing for you, but rather what 343 and the community should be doing for us.

You get back what you put in, man.

Edit: What the fuck is all the money for REQs going into? Seriously? Is 343 that fucking greedy? Put that money towards prize pools. FFS, at least make the tourneys 50 fucking k. 

Christ that is appalling and cheap as hell.

I think you might be forgetting that 343 is a business who's sole purpose is to make money. I'm sure there are loads of people working there who are doing it for the love of Halo and making games. I'd be willing to bet that the people running the HCS would love to have multiple $1'000'000 open lans every season. However, the people setting the budgets and allocating the money are the ones controlling that and their job is to make sure that the money invested into 343 returns a profit. 

MS might have tonnes of money but they're not going to be spending any of on the HCS if they don't see a return on the investment. They more than likely decided that the money from reqs would be better invested elsewhere, perhaps in the production of H6.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

My statement would be true if the facts weren't the facts :/

Legitimate question, do you know what events I've organized or ran?

No but if they were any of the halo 5 events then i feel sorry for you. You shouldnt put that an any resume.

• Downvote (-1) 10

Not all events have publisher funding. But I agree that if MLG and 343 worked together from the beginning of Reach until now, Halo would be in a much better place.

Other thoughts not related to your post:

Where did I imply that they did? Trust me I'm quite familiar with funding events out of pocket :)

• Upvote (+1) 6

If you think thats the responsibility of event organizers you're so so so mistaken. 

No I think thats the responsibility of the publisher.

• Upvote (+1) 1

@@Phade Sorry i know the forums are a bit chaotic but i feel like this needs to be addressed. No offense, but i believe that ESL/343 should lead the production of the HCS Orange County LAN event because the last 2 Halo LAN events hosted by eSports Arena were so poorly produced/broadcasted on Twitch & it'd just be an embarrassment to pro Halo if a stream like that were to be broadcasted for an HCS event. I understand that eSports Arena is a 3rd party tournament organizer & that it may not have the resources to produce an event like ESL or MLG, but it's important to note that this is an HCS EVENT! Anything less than a superior/quality production should be unacceptable & the community does not want to see an HCS event that is a failure

• Upvote (+1) 2

I honestly dislike MLG, I get why spectators like them but pros that have had to work with them in the past don't like them for the most part.

so how much is 343 paying you

Watch your mouth (and face) when you talk about combines BUDDY.

My man. You'll always be one of my favorite players, TJ.