CyReN

HCS Pro League Fall 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

I'll tell you what

Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine all the outrage and loud noises for "big open LANs" to return would equate to two west coast 20k tournaments held by esportsarena and PGL...

I think you misunderstand what we said we wanted, 343.

We wanted BIG open LANs from ESL and MLG. Not this cost cutting, half step with what looks like zero financial responsibility from MS or 343.

Sack up and swallow your pride, get in touch with Adam (more directed towards the 343 guys) and build us a god damn legacy again.

COD has MLG Anaheim. We could have MLG columbus. MAKE IT HAPPEN and stop asking what WE, the community, should be doing for you, but rather what 343 and the community should be doing for us.

You get back what you put in, man.

Edit: What the fuck is all the money for REQs going into? Seriously? Is 343 that fucking greedy? Put that money towards prize pools. FFS, at least make the tourneys 50 fucking k. 

Christ that is appalling and cheap as hell.

Fall in line and do your part. :kappa:

I'm writing for a relatively new but booming website called Real Sport 101 (around 100K unique a month) and I might be able to get Halo into coverage. 

Doing MY part because the people who get paid to don't. 

No 'fence. 

When events were close to me I would go and compete even if I didn't have a try hard squad. 4 buddies on a slight road trip to see other friends from halo, and hang out for the weekend is what open events are ACTUALLY about. Not going to happen with west coast events. I was so excited when I saw open LANs. :(

I understand where you're coming from (and I too wish there was a east coast or mid-west event), but the difference of flying from say Chicago to LA, and Chicago to say Orlando is like $100. So in all likelyhood people's expenses aren't THAT much different when going to the west coast.

I'm sorry, but the vast majority of this countries population resides on the eastern half of the country, so if there's going to be limited LANs that's where it should be. To widdle things down further you can't ignore the fact that a central location would reduce the average travel costs for EVERYONE.

With a scene that is on recovering from a near death experience, we should be rolling with the best options.

• Upvote (+1) 1

And what about flights from NY to LA? $500 minimum

Friend flew JFK to LAX for $375 for finals, not sure for the open event or finals dates currently. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Friend flew JFK to LAX for $375 for finals, not sure for the open event or finals dates currently.

What were they the week before the event?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Fall in line and do your part. :kappa:

I'm writing for a relatively new but booming website called Real Sport 101 (around 100K unique a month) and I might be able to get Halo into coverage. 

Doing MY part because the people who get paid to don't. 

No 'fence. 

Remember the last time we talked and you were asking how to get into it. Glad to see you making moves my man. Keep it up<3

• Upvote (+1) 2

Keep in mind you're comparing an activity that was funded 100% by us to something that was funded by the publisher (if not 100% funded it has $ support). I have no idea what we could have built Halo to be if we were working lockstep with the publisher/studio. We did the best we could and we also had no 'roadmap' to follow, no rules precedent, no shining light to follow. We made the best decisions we could and learned when we could.

Not all events have publisher funding. But I agree that if MLG and 343 worked together from the beginning of Reach until now, Halo would be in a much better place.

Other thoughts not related to your post:

I also have the opinion (realistic I think) that Halo is just too old of a game to be a major player in Esports. The main console demographic is younger (middle school -> college) and it's interest is in CoD at the moment. A large part of that is that when Halo declined (Reach/Halo4) is when CoD became popular.

The focus should be on making Halo cool again for that audience.

• Upvote (+1) 5

I honestly think 343 not involving MLG comes down to 343's ego. If Halo goes back with MLG and becomes big again, everyone will praise MLG instead of 343 for saving Halo. Unless 343 is ran by absolute idiots with subpar IQ's(which more and more is what I believe), then that's the only explanation that makes any sense at all to me.

Is this what it's come down to?

Even though many of you are unhappy about the west coast lans, can we at least all agree that going from 0 open lans to 2 this season is a step in the right direction?

People are mostly unhappy with the million steps back that 343 took by ignoring MLG's offers. It's sheer idiocy.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I dont think this has been answered, but are the PGL and Esports Arena events going to have the dedicated servers for them?

@@Phade

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

What were they the week before the event?

Just under $475 if I remember correctly. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Not all events have publisher funding. But I agree that if MLG and 343 worked together from the beginning of Reach until now, Halo would be in a much better place.

I also have the opinion (realistic I think) that Halo is just too old of a game to be a major player in Esports. The main console demographic is younger (middle school -> college) and it's interest is in CoD at the moment. A large part of that is that when Halo declined (Reach/Halo4) is when CoD became popular.

If you think thats the responsibility of event organizers you're so so so mistaken. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Any predictions on how many teams actually attend the Open LAN? Im saying less than 32 teams including the pro teams. BTW i dont have faith in ESL or whoever is running it to pull it off without any hickups seeing as theres no actual LAN involved.

That never happened. Nobody will ever know 

Exactly! -therealvivi

• Upvote (+1) 1

and Counter-Strike? I realize one is PC and one is on console but Halo 6 will be on PC.

Any predictions on how many teams actually attend the Open LAN? Im saying less than 32 teams including the pro teams. BTW i dont have faith in ESL to pull it off without any hickups seeing as theres no actual LAN involved.

Open LANs*

Not sure what you mean by "pull it off"  ?

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm finding round trips to Las Vegas from the UK at close to or cheaper than this supposed $1000 cost it would be to fly from within the US...

• Upvote (+1) 5