CyReN

HCS Pro League Fall 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

I remember borrowing my grandma's credit card to order video on demand with MLG (when it first launched for Halo 2). Watching the pros perspective was Earth-shattering back then. 

It's thanks to MLG that I have been following the pro scene so diligently. 

• Upvote (+1) 4

I remember borrowing my grandma's credit card to order video on demand with MLG (when it first launched for Halo 2). Watching the pros perspective was Earth-shattering back then. 

It's thanks to MLG that I have been following the pro scene so diligently. 

Those were the days, had to use my mom's credit card in 2006.

Anybody remember trying to get octoshape to work in Halo 3? Fun times.

• Upvote (+1) 8

Caught up on this thread and I just wanted to get some thoughts out there:

I just remember that feeling I had when I saw the MLG graphic in the announcement for the Halo World Championships last year.  No one knew at the time what their role was to be exactly, but there's something to be said that I literally felt butterflies just seeing that graphic.  Think about that.  I had an emotional response to a fucking graphic.. why?  Because I LOVE Halo, and MLG is Halo.  It always will be to me, plain and simple.  That's not to say there aren't other organizations that can step up and put on great tournaments or leagues, and I fully support them. (fuck I even watched AGL y'know?)  My only point here is that I truly don't understand how this connection isn't recognized by 343, or if it is, what legitimate reason is there to not take advantage of it?  Look, I'm not a grab-the-pitchfork type of guy, but I am legitimately pissed hearing that the company responsible for my involvement in competitive halo is being shafted.  It'd be one thing if I was sitting here longingly hoping for MLG to return to Halo.  But to find out they have tried, and on multiple occasions only to be neglected legitimately irks me.

I just wanted to address that above, because I don't even know why but if MLG needed my support for whatever reason I wouldn't hesitate to step up.  That's how strongly I feel attached to them.  I know I'm not alone in thinking this, so @ Thank you for all you have done, sincerely.

For the record I am H.A.F. (hyped-as-fuck) for this upcoming season.  Just wanted to show love where it was due.  Carry on 'yonders

-jDot out

Everyone had butterflies reading that graphic. MLG returned to its home after almost 5 years.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Wow!!! This threads transition from hype, to disappointment to anger was SWIFT!

I came here to post that someone at MLG must have screwed the spouse of a 343 staffer, but I late to the punch.

Still, despite my dissapointment in the lack of MLG and Midwest LANs, I feel like this season will be much better than last. Some improvement is better than none for sure...

Edit: it does suck that every peice of info reads like a punch in the gut to MLG. It's hard to even hope for a chance at a future relationship when the interest is so clearly onsided.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Las Vegas is probably the best city in North America to host an event. Geographically, it may not be central, but flight wise, it is probably the cheapest city to fly to from anywhere in North America.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Those were the days, had to use my mom's credit card in 2006.

Anybody remember trying to get octoshape to work in Halo 3? Fun times.

Have never really been tech illiterate by any means but holy ***** octoshape was odd. 

There is obviously a problem between 343/Esl and Mlg. I have no idea what it is ( especially after Mlg WAS involved with Hwc), but not giving Mlg any info after they showed they interest in running Halo events says a lot.

I am happy with what we have got, not gonna lie about that, but I could be much happier.

Las Vegas is probably the best city in North America to host an event. Geographically, it may not be central, but flight wise, it is probably the cheapest city to fly to from anywhere in North America.

It's a tough sell for a lot of open teams to their parents.

@@Timo probably just wanted a vacation.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I don't get where all of the love for MLG is coming from on this forum... They ran an event earlier this year and the players had big problems with communications.

I mean the issues were due to turtle beaches being terrible.....they overnighted astros and fixed it by the next day.

And its not like ESL (or any TO) doesn't have any technical issues. Its bound to happen, whats important is how its handled.

but it's not like they were kept from participating in Halo 5.

http://teambeyond.net/forum/topic/12986-hcs-pro-league-summer-2016-teams-seeds-and-discussion%E2%80%8F/page-2209?do=findComment&comment=813324

http://teambeyond.net/forum/topic/12986-hcs-pro-league-summer-2016-teams-seeds-and-discussion%E2%80%8F/page-1770?do=findComment&comment=794627

http://teambeyond.net/forum/topic/12986-hcs-pro-league-summer-2016-teams-seeds-and-discussion%E2%80%8F/page-1770?do=findComment&comment=794616

http://teambeyond.net/forum/topic/12986-hcs-pro-league-summer-2016-teams-seeds-and-discussion%E2%80%8F/page-1771?do=findComment&comment=794655

http://teambeyond.net/forum/topic/12986-hcs-pro-league-summer-2016-teams-seeds-and-discussion%E2%80%8F/page-1766?do=findComment&comment=794479

http://teambeyond.net/forum/topic/12986-hcs-pro-league-summer-2016-teams-seeds-and-discussion%E2%80%8F/page-1743?do=findComment&comment=793186

It seems unclear still? I think thats everything, if not here

http://teambeyond.net/forum/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=user_activity&mid=15526&search_app=forums&userMode=content&sid=bcb9964d9d3079df007861e2b80fa8a5&search_app_filters[forums][searchInKey]=&search_app_filters[forums][sortKey]=date&st=25

• Upvote (+1) 1

It's a tough sell for a lot of open teams to their parents.

@@Timo probably just wanted a vacation.

"Mom I want to go to a Halo tourny"

"Where is it sonny"

"Chattanooga"

Ya that is a much better sell than Vegas

• Upvote (+1) 4

Is it so hard for some of you to understand that people aren't complaining just to complain? We are really close to doing something great and Open LANs are very good. But only giving 2 and putting them both on the west coast is just dumb. Stopping MLG from hosting is just dumb. Yes, people are happy there are events but why stop at this half-assed announcement? Why is wanting more events in more popular regions with names like ML-fuckingG a bad thing? Do some of you really think this is the best we could do? Are you content with this format for the growth of Halo as a franchise?

I think this is just a manifestation of the larger problem with the management of this series on every level. Yeah, there's improvement, I'm more than willing to give credit for that, but here's the problem: when you start with garbage and you improve slightly from garbage, no one is impressed. Yeah, H5 looks GREAT next to Reach and H4, but is that impressive? Sure, having any open LANs is better than having none, but does that make it particularly good? Should we just be satisfied that we don't have nothing? Is that all that we should strive for? It really saddens me to see people basically just settling for mediocre; grasping at straws to accept minor at best improvements. When competitive Halo funded and organized by 343 (subsidiary of Microsoft, a multi-billion dollar corporation) looks bad next to a grassroots scene, there is a problem. This is not a problem that can't be fixed, but "not complaining" about these issues certainly won't improve anything.

• Upvote (+1) 9

I think this is just a manifestation of the larger problem with the management of this series on every level. Yeah, there's improvement, I'm more than willing to give credit for that, but here's the problem: when you start with garbage and you improve slightly from garbage, no one is impressed. Yeah, H5 looks GREAT next to Reach and H4, but is that impressive? Sure, having any open LANs is better than having none, but does that make it particularly good? Should we just be satisfied that we don't have nothing? Is that all that we should strive for? It really saddens me to see people basically just settling for mediocre; grasping at straws to accept minor at best improvements. When competitive Halo funded and organized by 343 (subsidiary of Microsoft, a multi-billion dollar corporation) looks bad next to a grassroots scene, there is a problem. This is not a problem that can't be fixed, but "not complaining" about these issues certainly won't improve anything.

How do you define improve? Curious.

• Upvote (+1) 5

It's on you to get the community to show up, you're literally paid to do that, the community don't owe you shit fam.

We've been out here, who are you?

He's 5'10 no tats. 

• Upvote (+1) 9

halo is the most exciting FPS esport that no one is watching

i blame 343, harsh but that's how i feel

i'm very appreciative of 343's efforts but fuck settling for good when we could be great 

• Upvote (+1) 9

• Flight
  • Team Pass
  • Hotel
  • Food for 3 days
  • Transportation at the event (Uber, Taxi, etc)
  • Spectator Passes
  • VIP passes (?)
A person from any average spot in the midwest will be dropping $1.5k - $2k to go watch or compete for a weekend? Sounds easer to watch a stream at home and save 2 grand. History repeating itself from 2008-2010. </p>

6 out of the 7 on this list you have to pay for still regardless of where the event is at unless you don't have to eat on the east coast. The only one that changes anything is the flights

• Upvote (+1) 1

Flights from Chicago O'Hare to LAX are less than $300 for the weekend of ESA's event? ($272 round trip according to American Airlines, less if you fly Spirit or another airline).

Not sure if it was covered before, but adding in a hotel (not a suite, maybe splitting a room with a teammate or 2, say $75/night per person for 4 nights [Thursday - Monday?]) and it looks affordable. (Granted, I had 12 people in my room for more than one event to save on costs, hotel cost me -$40 after everyone paid $10/night). 

But this is coming from a guy that fit 6 guys and luggage into a minivan and drove 20 hours straight to NYC for playoffs, stayed at some random person's apartment (I heard that one of the guys I was with knew them through school or something) and only ate food that cost less than $5 and the whole trip cost me $90 for the weekend.

If you have to fly first class and stay in presidential suites, yes, it gets expensive. 

@@Phade pm'd me :)

I could potentially make it.  I don't do long-distance travel much, so the places I was looking would've screwed me.

My comments were of the naive, I'll admit that freely.

Pretty excited now.  I may actually be able to make it out! :D

Granted I agree both events being west coast is VERY unfortunate, but idk what else we can complain about. 

Online events = we want open events

Open LAN event = we want to sit home and save money.

When you are not a professional player who gets everything payed for it sucks, but you need to spend money if you want to make it. Other than a few pros who got pretty lucky we all went through it. 

PS: Before I catch problems for this post go look at how many events I went to before really profiting at all. I saved every dime I had, crashed on teammates floors. If you want it bad enough you find a way to make it happen. 

Also now a days an AM team can get some kind of sponsor who will cover something. I remember being a professional player getting top 8 still spending my own money to make to an event. 

Open LANs are not for people who plan on making money from Halo. They're for people who are specifically planning to sink a shit-ton of money into the trip and not get anything in return.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 2

I miss the days of Knoxville/Nashville AGL events  :kappa:

CqV9BMVWEAAkqCl.jpg

fr tho they were so close to me. I might be going to chatt

Being from Memphis i loved those events, sure it was AGL and H4 but they were so close. Battlefield Knox was awesome.

• Upvote (+1) 1