CyReN

HCS Pro League Fall 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

This may seem harsh, but you only became relevant because of MLG and their events/combines, as well as many other pros. Please don't speak on the behalf of others, most pro Halo players owe everything to MLG, and I know I specifically would go out of my way to help them

For sure, but what people seem to forget are the problems that we had with them. I wasn't saying we wouldn't work with them, just that our history with ESL/PGL on the professional end has been better than our history with MLG a several people that I've talked to in this regard agree for the most part.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 9

This may seem harsh, but you only became relevant because of MLG

To be honest, he hasn't been that relevant in the Halo scene for a while

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 10

ddce1s.jpg

lol, sorry for being a downer

imo halo could be one of the biggest esports around but we never will with this leadership

You too friend, enjoyed MLG Orlando. I have talked enough about our history here, I think you'd do a fine job running events I just prefer ESL/PGL, haven't had anything to complain about on our end from them. 

Pro players are only the tip of the spear.

At least they announced both events with plenty of time to make travel plans. If you really want to go you'll find a way, if not you probably weren't that interested in the first place.

How many west coast events did we have in H2A though? Don't think we had a single open event on the west coast.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Keep in mind you're comparing an activity that was funded 100% by us to something that was funded by the publisher (if not 100% funded it has $ support). I have no idea what we could have built Halo to be if we were working lockstep with the publisher/studio. We did the best we could and we also had no 'roadmap' to follow, no rules precedent, no shining light to follow. We made the best decisions we could and learned when we could.

I want to be like you when I grow up (let's be real, I am grown up now but still felt good to say). So professional and passionate about the scene, I don't think Halo has a bigger fan than you. Kudos sir, kudos. 

How do you define growth? Growth for the game you're supporting.

I mean there is a lot of metrics you can use to look at growth (viewership, players playing on match making, players competing in online cups, social following, etc). They have different meanings and implications and a different order of importance depending on the viewpoint.

For instance, someone might say an increased prize pool means growth, whereas to me an increased prize pool is a result of growth that was achieved due to growing "popularity". 

I mean there is a lot of metrics you can use to look at growth (viewership, players playing on match making, players competing in online cups, social following, etc). They have different meanings and implications and a different order of importance depending on the viewpoint.

For instance, someone might say an increased prize pool means growth, whereas to me an increased prize pool is a result of growth that was achieved due to growing "popularity".

I think 'growth' to most people here is a viewership increase.

• Upvote (+1) 3

My thoughts exactly.  I'd actually consider going to an open LAN if nothing more than for nostalgia's sake.....but not to California lol.  I'm in Illinois.  It'd cost me a month's pay just to get there and -maybe- get back..

So, that's out the window.

Flights from Chicago O'Hare to LAX are less than $300 for the weekend of ESA's event? ($272 round trip according to American Airlines, less if you fly Spirit or another airline).

Not sure if it was covered before, but adding in a hotel (not a suite, maybe splitting a room with a teammate or 2, say $75/night per person for 4 nights [Thursday - Monday?]) and it looks affordable. (Granted, I had 12 people in my room for more than one event to save on costs, hotel cost me -$40 after everyone paid $10/night). 

But this is coming from a guy that fit 6 guys and luggage into a minivan and drove 20 hours straight to NYC for playoffs, stayed at some random person's apartment (I heard that one of the guys I was with knew them through school or something) and only ate food that cost less than $5 and the whole trip cost me $90 for the weekend.

If you have to fly first class and stay in presidential suites, yes, it gets expensive. 

• Upvote (+1) 8

Flights from Chicago O'Hare to LAX are less than $300 for the weekend of ESA's event? ($272 round trip according to American Airlines, less if you fly Spirit or another airline).

Not sure if it was covered before, but adding in a hotel (not a suite, maybe splitting a room with a teammate or 2, say $75/night per person for 4 nights [Thursday - Monday?]) and it looks affordable. (Granted, I had 12 people in my room for more than one event to save on costs, hotel cost me -$40 after everyone paid $10/night). 

But this is coming from a guy that fit 6 guys and luggage into a minivan and drove 20 hours straight to NYC for playoffs, stayed at some random person's apartment (I heard that one of the guys I was with knew them through school or something) and only ate food that cost less than $5 and the whole trip cost me $90 for the weekend.

If you have to fly first class and stay in presidential suites, yes, it gets expensive. 

A lot of people are pretty hesitant about doing stuff like that. I did all sorts of shit like sleeping in the floor of other peoples rooms in my day but I can understand it if people aren't confident in trying it lol

And what about flights from NY to LA? $500 minimum

To be honest, he hasn't been that relevant in the Halo scene for a while

He is a Reach kid. Only became relevant because Halo went south population wise.
  • Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 13

But if the west coast is so affordable then why even during the peak of halo did they struggle with attendance? West coast has never worked well, and it never will unless halo blows up to levels we havent seen.

• Upvote (+1) 2

At MLG Meadowlands 07, I had about 25 people in my room. Ahhhhh, the good ol days.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I feel like there'd almost be less complaining here had they not announced any open lans at all for this season.

Nah people are happy about open events but what people really want is the open circuit we used to have. Something people aren't mentioning a lot is that a lot of people didn't go to every single MLG event but they'd catch a few of them because they would eventually come rather close to where you live. 

I want MLG back so I can reactivate my xXxMLG360noScop3xXx account  :kappa:

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1