CyReN

HCS Pro League Fall 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Without the great production value and prize pools, CoD would be at Halo 4 level in terms of popularity as a esport. It's simply not fun to watch in my opinion. The game play is too fast and crazy. People die in less then a second, there seems to be no creativity in weapons, and the maps are just bad. 

The only reason I watch CoD is because of the production value and I'm connected to the players because of their Youtube content and streams. 

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Interesting article from an acquaintance of mine about Riot/LoL esports and how incompetent its leadership actually is.  I wonder how relevant this is to Halo...

TLDR for those who don't want to read it:

Basically, Riot's League Ops Director (Whalen Rozelle) got where he is by sucking up to Dustin Beck (brother to founder Brandon Beck), who was only working on the esports side in a monetary capacity with zero knowledge of how leagues are run or operated.

Whalen Rozelle has seemed incompetent at his job, and didn't have a background in esports/competitive gaming/sports.  Riot hasn't consulted other leagues to improve their own.

Riot also don't work on using their league to MAKE money -- they want money to come from the game itself, not from its leagues, so they box out sponsors they don't want.

I love the professionalism from Activision for this event. So much information. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Without the great production value and prize pools, CoD would be at Halo 4 level in terms of popularity as a esport. It's simply not fun to watch in my opinion. The game play is too fast and crazy. People die in less then a second, there seems to be no creativity in weapons, and the maps are just bad.

The only reason I watch CoD is because of the production value and I'm connected to the players because of their Youtube content and streams.

The production value doesn't even make it interesting to me. The great analysis, the seamless transitions, the bios etc.., none of that makes up for the fact that the game isn't fun to watch.

• Upvote (+1) 8
  • Downvote (-1) 1

The production value doesn't even make it interesting to me. The great analysis, the seamless transitions, the bios etc.., none of that makes up for the fact that the game isn't fun to watch.

Tell that to 100k+ people who will watch COD Champs, but will never tune into a single Halo event. I only watch COD Champs to watch Optic, which I watch only because of their Halo team.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Yeah. I don't watch it for the whole weekend like I do Halo events. 

If Halo had the casters, the analysis, the over all production value. It would be breaking 80k viewers every event. 

That being said, for online stuff like pro league. The biggest problems with Halo 5 is, spectator mode is trash. And the amount of down time, filled with stupid warzone montages.

It's is popular because CoD as a game is popular, sure the production value helps a bit, but remember that CoD is the most popular in games in Xbox and PS, so it's natural that theybhave high viewership.
  • Upvote (+1) 3

It's is popular because CoD as a game is popular, sure the production value helps a bit, but remember that CoD is the most popular in games in Xbox and PS, so it's natural that theybhave high viewership.

True. They only need a fraction of the games population to tune in to get great viewer numbers.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Tell that to 100k+ people who will watch COD Champs, but will never tune into a single Halo event. I only watch COD Champs to watch Optic, which I watch only because of their Halo team.

Why should I tell anyone what to watch? I personally don't find it interesting despite the production values?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Why should I tell anyone what to watch? I personally don't find it interesting despite the production values?

I know but for some reason COD is still insanely popular. I root for people not teams in most sports, same goes for e-sports. Since I'm familiar with Formal, I'll root for him, other than that, I don't like/understand COD enough to watch.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I know but for some reason COD is still insanely popular. I root for people not teams in most sports, same goes for e-sports. Since I'm familiar with Formal, I'll root for him, other than that, I don't like/understand COD enough to watch.

COD is a good game, and it's multiplat. It's popular for a reason. CODs regular twitch viewers are a small fraction of the games overall playerbase.

If Halo viewership is the same fraction of its userbase, it will have much lower viewership than COD.

My comment was just to say that despite the quality of Pro COD presentations, I personally can't bring myself to watch something that I don't find interesting. I wasn't really trying to talk down on COD.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Yeah. I don't watch it for the whole weekend like I do Halo events. 

If Halo had the casters, the analysis, the over all production value. It would be breaking 80k viewers every event. 

That being said, for online stuff like pro league. The biggest problems with Halo 5 is, spectator mode is trash. And the amount of down time, filled with stupid warzone montages.

The down-time is crazy

When pro's scrim, they play games back to back to back with maybe a minute in between.  There is no reason why Pro League can't be the same.  2 minutes between matches. 5 minutes between series.  and yeah, fix spectator mode for the love of god.

• Upvote (+1) 3

The down-time is crazy

When pro's scrim, they play games back to back to back with maybe a minute in between.  There is no reason why Pro League can't be the same.  2 minutes between matches. 5 minutes between series.  and yeah, fix spectator mode for the love of god.

The crap they fill the dead air with is so bad. I don't need to see the trailer for the Cartographers Gift when it launched 8 months ago. They would be better off searching youtube for Halo, and just randomly selecting vids.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I remember loving the Ultimate Gaming Room filler stuff. It got pretty repetitive since they'd show the same ones sometimes, but they were fun for the first watch. I'd rather watch that than seeing the McDonald's forge map over and over

• Upvote (+1) 1

The crap they fill the dead air with is so bad. I don't need to see the trailer for the Cartographers Gift when it launched 8 months ago. They would be better off searching youtube for Halo, and just randomly selecting vids.

THIS SO MUCH.

I don't understand why they fill the time with weird promos and montages when what they really should do is either show videos that teach you more about Halo, which would actually interest the same demographic that makes up their viewership, or with legit montages (with the creators' permission of course).

I wouldn't mind having 10 minute downtime if there was a snipetality montage for each break.

• Upvote (+1) 2

@@mediabrute killing it as usual

CLG vs NV scrim tonight

what a glorious day

Shieeeeeeeeeet 

Tis time 

Chatt predictions this weekend? Any pro teams going? Heard e6 is going but is there any truth behind that? I know Cloud, Str8 Sick, Ryanoob, Toxsick are going as Hyve Gaming. I have them winning it all but who knows and its all depending on qhat other am teams go and if any pro teams go. Predictions for 4v3 and ffa anyone? I know H5 Youtube Proximity is going