CyReN

HCS Pro League Fall 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Curious to hear what specific things you did/did not like about the show this weekend.

- Telestrator

- Analysts

- Casters

- Stage look

- Interviews

- FFA

- Schedule

- Downtime

- Raffle

- Social Media coverage

- Other?

Let us hear your constructive cristicism and feedback.

Timo

It's ok to say "tea bagging"

*criticism :) 

But seriously, fantastic event, currently at work in the UK on 3 hours sleep but with a huge smile on my face! Great work all round.

This roster-mania before the first world's cup is probably gonna make me sad. I would honestly love the top 3 teams from this weekend to stick together. I like them each as teams and I think they could have a reason to.

First of all I don't think optic was ideally prepared for this event. They haven't had many scrims and have really only played E6 for the past week if I recall correctly, but I guess that's one of the faults of a top 4 tourney. That being said, I believe they can still win if they prepare for the next event (and go to every event they can).

Nv may stay together but I'd say they have about a 70% chance of making a change. They barely won these past two tourneys and I don't think many people would claim they are the best 4 players in Halo. That being said, they're clearly capable of being winners and i want them to stay together because they are probably the best at being that "old school hype team" that goes crazy at event.

I want liquid to stay together because they match up with Nv really well and I don't think they've peaked. Also they're the best team that isn't on the level of optic and Nv, which I think will be a huge factor for worlds (top 3 from the first event get their ticket to finals, though this years roster lock should be interesting I assume it will be the roster you qualify with but that's a different discussion). Also for the Bromances.

The reason this off season scares me is I believe that these three teams are isolated in a special way: The only way any one of them could get better would be get someone from one of the other two to join up.

All that being said I do have predictions (these are each discreet in that most any two would not occur concurrently, I also don't account for the repercussions of these):

1. Lethul to Nv for Mikwen: No Kappa. It would be a stab in the back but the Truce team at UGC showed potential. Would basically do the same thing as Lethul to CLG last year by buffing one of the top teams and causing the other chaos.
  2. Huke to OG in place of ???: Honestly don't know who would be dropped, but kids a god and if OG wanted an upgrade I think he's the only one they would consider.
  3. TL drops Penguin or Rayne: I feel liquid can be super inconsistent. Spartan really stepped up this season and became more consistent and Hamy is probably most consistent but when they're having a bad game, these two seem to play selfish in a bad way and Penguin and spartan's play styles seem to clash a little too often.

NV won the Pro League, including sweeping Optic. Won the last two tournaments  including beating optic in 2 out of 3 bo7's on Lan in the Season Championship Finals , honestly what more could they have accomplished this season? They are the best team in Halo right now, and thats the team they will want going into worlds.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Curious to hear what specific things you did/did not like about the show this weekend.

- Telestrator

- Analysts

- Casters

- Stage look

- Interviews

- FFA

- Schedule

- Downtime

- Raffle

- Social Media coverage

- Other?

Timo

1) Simms needs to be at as many NA events as he's willing to cast. The guy is hilarious, savage, and a very good caster.

2) There was a spot of downtime where people started getting frustrated. Spartan tweeted that you guys were just making sure that everyone's POV would be available for the stream, but if not for that I'm sure the discontent would have grown. Maybe that's an explanation you could slip into the broadcast? I'm not sure what the issue was though, so it may not be that simple.

Overall it was the best weekend of Halo I've watched in 2016.

- Telestrator

- Analysts

- Casters

- Stage look

- Interviews

- FFA

- Schedule

- Downtime

- Raffle

- Social Media coverage

- Other?

Timo

As everyone else said the event was awesome. Here are a few thoughts for improvements.

All pro league teams should be there.

I personally like pro players in the ffa

I miss Friday night play

Maybe telestator use before A game to explain callouts cover power weapons and key positions

Schedule for exactly when the HWC 2017 announcement would occur would have been nice (I.e. after relegation)

More explanation on game types especially strong holds for new viewers (I didn't see everything so I might have just missed this )

Overall great event you guys are clearly getting better at this each time. well done.

- Telestrator

- Analysts

- Casters

- Stage look

- Interviews

- FFA

- Schedule

- Downtime

- Raffle

- Social Media coverage

- Other?

Timo

I feel like im really picky with these tourneys but i have nothing bad to say. Everything went great and oitside of some hiccups the telestrator was freaking awesome. Great show!

- Telestrator

- Analysts

- Casters

- Stage look

- Interviews

- FFA

- Schedule

- Downtime

- Raffle

- Social Media coverage

- Other?

Timo

Telestrator - was a nice addition. I would suggest giving the analyst a lapel mic, so they don't have to hold a mic while using the telestrator. 

Analysts/Casters - I have no complaints. 

Stage - looked great. 

Interviews - the prepared ones were great filler. 

FFA - I did not watch, mainly because I disliked the format from previous events. So I do not know if this opinion is relevant or not, but it should be one round only. The previous event had a situation where the winner of the FFA wasn't clear. StrongSide announced that SnipeDown (I think) was "probably" the winner of the FFA tournament. 

Schedule - was pretty good. 

Downtime - for the most part was fine, none of the filler seemed to drag on overly long. There was only one point in time where I noticed a lengthy downtime between the nV/Str8 and OG/TL series. I assume there was a small technical issue going on since every other series transition went faster.

Raffle - I did not participate but cool to see the groups within the Halo community offering up merch for the spectators. 

Social Media - coverage must of been pretty good. Usually there is complaints about no coverage here on Beyond, and I never saw that over the weekend. 

Other - why'd it have to end? So stoked for the format changes to the next Finals. You guys did great this weekend. 

Really enjoyed the halo but everyone finished in the same place as there pro league spot.

Maybe next season with increased numbers will make it more interesting.

I would still like to see 10 team pro league just so the is a chance of a relegation.

• Upvote (+1) 1

2) There was a spot of downtime where people started getting frustrated. Spartan tweeted that you guys were just making sure that everyone's POV would be available for the stream, but if not for that I'm sure the discontent would have grown. Maybe that's an explanation you could slip into the broadcast? I'm not sure what the issue was though, so it may not be that simple.

1. Little graphic on screen that says: "Technical Issues, Matches will start shortly"

2. Every 5-10 minutes or so throw back to one of the analysts and do something fun (interview with the crowd, giveaway, reading tweets sent in)

3. After the segment throw back to ads and repeat.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I just watched the replay for the last game.....god damn....the whole "what if" situation.....will take some time to shake it off

- Telestrator

- Analysts

- Casters

- Stage look

- Interviews

- FFA

- Schedule

- Downtime

- Raffle

- Social Media coverage

- Other?

Timo

I'm going to be very honest, the only thing that was not as enjoyable, was the actual settings being played(radar etc etc) but that is  out of your control. From an ESL perspective, this was a flawless event. Need more of this in my life.

• Upvote (+1) 1

How many viewers did pro league finals get last season?

I actually wasn't expecting to see 40k this time around.

How many viewers did pro league finals get last season?

I actually wasn't expecting to see 40k this time around.

both days of summer season peaked at 23k

so we did almost twice that 

• Upvote (+1) 1

@@Timo another thing although I might in the minority here. When a tweet is shown on stream, I don't think the casters need to pause whatever they are doing currently to read it out. My eyes are already drawn to the popup when it shows up and I'll quickly read it and get back to the game. 

• Upvote (+1) 8

Its the nV vs OG juice for sure

I wouldn’t be surprised if the timing of the update had a pretty reasonable impact on viewership as well. Definitely rekindled interest in H5 with articles and positive discussion popping up all over the place.

• Upvote (+1) 4

That's extremely impressive. Obviously the production was much better this time around, but that doesn't explain the spike in interest.

It seemed like the social media presence was a bit better this time with even the xbox twitter tweeting the stream.

But still how did we pull so much, even with other sizeable esports events going on simultaneously? Not that I'm complaining. Is it the NV v Optic juice?

I'm ecstatic because next year's format looks so much more promising.

ppWSPCqt.jpgbt8cCYkt.jpg

To be 100% honest, I'm not sure if you're attempting an insult to me because of what I said, or summarizing what I said in picture form in some strange way? Or something else entirely. Which ever it is, from the pictures I can only currently understand that if you put Vaseline on that chair, you're just gonna have a bad time. :\

• Upvote (+1) 1

Last night was incredible. Amazing improvements to the production and execution, exciting announcements, a new competitive rivalry, and settings changes on the way. Feeling excited and positive about Halo again!

see everyone at Dreamhack Atlanta, I'll be the guy in the crying Jordan t-shirt.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I get the feeling that roster-mania will not be nearly as exciting since it seems pretty likely that 2 or 3 teams will stay the same.

Staying the Same:
OpTic
nV

Possibly staying together:

Liquid
St8

Definately Changing:

LG

EG

E6
ALG

• Upvote (+1) 2

That's extremely impressive. Obviously the production was much better this time around, but that doesn't explain the spike in interest.

It seemed like the social media presence was a bit better this time with even the xbox twitter tweeting the stream.

But still how did we pull so much, even with other sizeable esports events going on simultaneously? Not that I'm complaining. Is it the NV v Optic juice?

I'm ecstatic because next year's format looks so much more promising.

og vs nv is the biggest rivalry in esports so that drew a lot of people

and you're right about the social media presence, we got a lot of help getting the word out, for instance csgo pros were tweeting about it

halo is a pretty easy game for viewers to digest so i'm not really surprised it could top twitch

• Upvote (+1) 2